- Text Size +

Like Mother, Like Daughter

This is a companion piece to the story ‘Coming Home’ Written for the March 2012 Challenge.

Thanks to Cheryl, once again, for the beta and the title.

Everyone was telling Lee Stetson that he looked terrible. He knew it to be true. Billy told him. Francine told him. Hell, even Fred Fielder told him… from a distance. Their opinions were confirmed every time he looked in the mirror, the bloodshot eyes from making friends with Glenlivet every night, the dark circles under his eyes from tossing in his bed, and the scruffy face when he just couldn’t stand to look at himself to shave. It didn’t matter. His Amanda was gone. He had acted like an ass and drove her away.

He sat at his desk in the Q Bureau with his head in his hands.  Amanda was going to be gone for another eight days, he needed to see her to set things right. After everything he said to her, maybe she wouldn’t come back to him. How could he have been that stupid to tell her he wanted to break off their partnership? It slipped out of his mouth before he even had a chance to think about it. Her face showed a flash of pain then firmed into a resolution that frightened him. All he could do was turn around and get out of her house.

The relief he felt when he opened the door to the Q and saw that she hadn’t moved anything out was almost painful. Hope flared in his chest, but died when she hadn’t left him a note or anything. The absence of communication was driving him to drink. A “die, you rat” or “I forgive you” would have least let him know where he stood with the love of his life.

He needed to get out of the Q. Sitting at his desk, staring at her desk and brooding wasn’t making his life any better. He looked at his watch. It was lunchtime. He could go out and get a sandwich. Maybe he would go to Elaine’s Café. Amanda and he went there for lunch and alone time sometimes.

After checking out with Mrs. Marston, he walked around the corner and down the street.

“Lee!” He heard someone calling him. He turned quickly, reached under his coat and to his surprise saw Dotty West heading towards him.

“Why, Lee. I thought that was you.” Dotty placed her hand on his arm still under his coat. “It has been so long since we saw you. Where are you going? Have you heard anything from Amanda, yet? I don’t want to be nosy, but what happened between you two?”

Lee’s head reeled at the barrage of questions coming from his future mother…he stopped that line of thought…Amanda’s mother.

Lee gathered his thoughts and gave her a fully dimpled Stetson super smile. “Mrs. West, what are you doing in Georgetown?”

“I was doing some shopping and decided to grab a sandwich at a place Amanda took me once or twice. Elaine’s Café, I think it is called.”

Lee considered his options and made a quick decision. “I was just heading that way myself. Would you care to join me?” He offered her his arm.

Dotty smiled. “Of course, that would be lovely. It will give us some time to talk and get to know one another better.”

They walked together another block to the restaurant.

“So have you heard anything from Amanda?” Dotty asked as they approached the restaurant.

“I haven’t talked to her in 19 days.” ‘20 hours and 17 minutes,’ he added silently.

Dotty looked at him. He could feel the questions radiating off of her like waves of heat.

He sighed, bowed to the inevitable and admitted. “We had a disagreement.”

Dotty looked at him with sharp eyes. “So I understand.”

“I didn’t want her going …” he extemporized, “off on her own without me. She wasn’t happy with my demands.”

“Amanda is a determined person, Lee. When she puts her mind to something she does it with her whole heart. She’s also very honest.  I think she gets that from me.”

“Believe me, I know. Look, there’s an open table.” As he steered her to the table, Lee noticed looks from some of the women and from the expression on her face so had Dotty. They sat at the table and looked at each other in an awkward silence.

“You know, I’m glad we met like this. I wasn’t sure what I was going to say to you.” Dotty started. “Amanda is very special and you upset her terribly. I haven’t heard her cry so much, ever. Not even when Joe left.”

He swallowed hard and ran his fingers through his hair. “I’m so sorry about that. I know she’s special. She’s more than just my best friend. To know that I made her cry, just kills me.”

Their conversation stopped for a moment when the waitress arrived and smiled at Lee. She took Dotty’s order then she leaned over to take his order. There were a few “accidental” touches on his arm when she leaned over to show him the side dishes off the menu.

Dotty sat watching this display with an amused look on her face. Lee cleared his throat and finished his order. He looked over at Dotty and shrugged. “Mrs. West…” Lee started.

“Dotty, please.” She interrupted.

“Dotty, thank you, I really screwed up. I’m not sure Amanda will want to …work with me, let alone see me again.” ‘Or marry me.’ He added to himself.

“Lee.” She placed her hand on his. “My daughter has a huge capacity for love and forgiveness. I think she takes after me with that as well. All those years with Joe and she kept forgiving him for leaving her. I can’t imagine you could do anything that would permanently ruin what relationship you have.”

She moved her hand off of his when the waitress brought their order to the table. The waitress set their sandwiches down and a cup of potato salad in front of Lee. He looked up at her, “I didn’t order this.”

“I know, Honey, you just looked so down. I thought you could use some kindness today.” The waitress touched his arm again and smiled at him and he smiled back.

“Uh, thank you.” He really didn’t want all this female attention when eating with his fiancée’s mother.

“Would you like some potato salad, Dotty?” Lee pushed the cup to her.

“No, thank you.” There were a few minutes of silence as they ate their sandwiches. She looked at him for a long moment. “You know, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.”

He looked at her. “Why is that?”

“Lee Stetson, I think you could CHARM THE WINGS OFF OF AN ANGEL, if you set your mind to it. I don’t think my daughter stands a chance.”

He gave her a double barreled, full dimpled, straight on Stetson smile. “Thank you. Does this mean I’ve been forgiven?”

“By me, at least. I’m not so sure about the boys. As much as she tried to hide it, they heard her crying as well.”

Lee shook his head. “I don’t even know how to start there.”

Dotty smiled and patted his hand. “It’ll come. They don’t know you well. Give it time.”

Lee looked at his watch. “As much as I am enjoying this, I have to get back to work. May I walk you back to your car?” He left money for the check, took Dotty’s arm as he guided her back out of the restaurant.

“No, thank you, dear.” Dotty kissed his cheek. “It’ll all be all right with Amanda. Trust me.”

Lee began to walk away but turned around when he heard her voice saying. “Really, Lee you need to get some sleep. You look terrible.”

A wry chuckle forced itself out his mouth. ‘I hope she’s right,’ he thought. At the very least, he felt better knowing where he stood with her. ‘Dotty’s right. Amanda does take after her.’ He turned and went back to the office with a slightly lighter heart.