- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Thank you Cheryl for beta-ing this story.  Any mistakes are solely mine. Thank you Lynda, Jenn, Carrie for your assistance and encouragement when I needed it.

May 29, 1950

Matt pulled his handkerchief out of his pocket and wiped the sweat from his face. This had to be the hottest May in history. The temperatures soared to 100 degrees in the shade with humidity to match.

Inside the office wasn't any better. The tiny air conditioner in the window gave up the ghost earlier in the week. Maintenance assured him they'd have it fixed ASAP, but that was two days ago and they still hadn't shown up.

Earlier this morning, after feeling as if his brain was melting, he rummaged around in the supply room, dodging rusty file cabinets, and broken down chairs. Buried under a desk with a wobbly leg, he found an old fan. Feeling as if he'd struck gold, he snuck out of the closet with his booty, and promptly set it up in his office, tilting the blades up to keep his papers from blowing around.

A flick of the switch started the propeller. The blades spun once then quit. He jiggled the switch, and used a pencil giving the blades a push. The motor popped and the turbine sputtered a few times before it caught. The relic sounded like a jet engine, and did nothing but give him a pounding headache.

The office still felt like a steam bath albeit a noisy one, and he'd long ago stripped down to his undershirt. Only his trousers remained and he was seriously contemplating shucking those too.

Sitting around in his skivvies wouldn't go over too well with the brass, so he discarded that idea, and got back to work.

A bead of sweat dripped off the end of his nose to plop on his report. Once again, he used his handkerchief to wipe his face. Disgusted with everything from the weather, to the lack of concrete information on some missing supplies, he tossed his pencil aside, and decided to start his holiday weekend early.

After locking his files away, he slipped back into his uniform shirt seriously considering leaving the buttons undone. He'd catch hell for being out of uniform if someone caught him. Quickly he fastened the buttons, tucked the shirt into his trousers, and then he knotted his tie before high tailing it out of the office.

~~~SMK~~~~

It seemed everyone had the same idea, and instead of his normal twenty-minute commute, he finally made it home an hour after leaving work.

He wandered from room to room looking for his wife. He found her in the nursery. She hadn't heard him come in so he stood in the doorway mesmerized at the sight of his beautiful Jenny, sitting in the rocking chair, singing softly as she nursed their newborn son. Lee's little hand, curled into a fist, nestled against her breast. The humidity turned her normally sleek hair into a mass of tumbled curls framing her face. His palms itched to feel those silken tresses wrapped around his fingers.

She snuggled Lee against her shoulder, and began to rub his back hoping to coax a belch from him. Not wanting to startle either of them he whispered, "Daddy's home" then walked over to her side. He laid a gentle hand on his son's back matching the motion of Jenny's hand, and kissed her sweet lips. The ‘manly' belch from Lee had them breaking apart in fits of giggles.

"You're home early."

"I missed both of you. And since I couldn't get any work done in that sweat-box, I figured we could get an early start to the cabin."

"Well, in that case," she handed him the baby, "You change your son, while I finish getting ready."

He gritted his teeth and tucked Lee close to his chest being careful to support his head. Even after two weeks, Matt still felt unsure holding the tiny bundle in his arms. Carefully, as if he were carrying a live grenade, Matt walked over to the changing table, and laid his son down on the soft padding.

Now came the hard part, changing Lee's diaper or nappy as Jenny called them. He hated when Jen asked him to do this. It wasn't the ick factor, after all this was his son but more he was afraid he'd hurt the baby. Lee was so small and Matt had such large hands, he always worried he'd stick him with one of the pins or even worse break something, like a delicate arm or leg.

It didn't matter how many times Jenny assured him that wouldn't happen if he'd just relaxed; a small shiver of trepidation still ran through him. Nevertheless, he loved this one-on-one time with his son and spoke softly to him while he re-diapered him.

"Daddy's still having a hard time finding something on Blackthorn. I know he's involved in those missing supplies; I just need to find the proof. I'll fill your mother in on the drive. She has an uncanny ability of reading between the lines, and unearthing the missing pieces of the puzzle. Oh, and speaking of your mother, you're poaching, sport. I really don't blame you she's very sexy. It's okay for now, but when you get older, the fellows won't be as tolerant about it as I am."

"Buck up, soldier, you're turn will come."

He turned to face her, and she stole his breath. Standing there wearing knee-length shorts, a sleeveless blouse, and tennis shoes. She'd tucked her hair into a neat ponytail making her look sixteen. He smiled. She moved into his arms, and snuggled against his chest.

"I'll take over from here, why don't you change out of your uniform, and get ready to leave."

He dropped a kiss on her head, and one on the baby's, before going to change clothes.

~~~SMK~~~

Wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, whistling as he left the bedroom, Matt walked down the stairs hoping to find his wife ready to leave for the cabin. He halted mid-stride when he spotted the pile of cartons and luggage that waited for him at the bottom of the stairs.

They'd only planned to be away for three days.

The Marines had taken fewer supplies when they landed on the beach at Normandy.

Lee was only two-weeks old and had more luggage than he and Jenny combined. One suitcase for clean diapers and clothes, an empty one to carry the soiled diapers home, and a box filled with an assortment of pots and pans and other supplies they'd need.  Last but certainly not least, a bassinet so they had somewhere for Lee to sleep. Reluctantly, he lugged everything outside and began to pack the car.

Not everything fit inside the trunk, so he wedged the bassinet on the back seat. Jenny had a bag she'd kept with her in the front with baby clothes and things she'd need on the drive to the cabin.

Finally, he'd gotten everything into the car. After Jenny settled in the passenger seat, he handed Lee to her, and then settled himself behind the wheel. Before starting the car, he turned to his wife. "Are you sure taking Lee is a good idea? He's so tiny, and I don't want to put any extra strain on you, either. Maybe, we should stay home with him."

"Nonsense, this weekend is important. Matt, you're a dear for worrying, but we'll be fine. It'll be good for us to be out of this heat. Now, shall we be on our way?"

He smiled at her before starting the car, and driving off for the cozy cabin in the woods. The further he drove from the city the more he relaxed. He could feel the tension slowly working its way out of his body.

~~~SMK~~~

Once they reached the highway, traffic thinned out. He took the opportunity to fill Jenny in on his suspicions. While he couldn't prove anything, he was certain Blackthorn had something to do with the imbalance in the supply inventories from the war.

She agreed he was on the right track and encouraged him to dig a bit deeper. "Follow the money." As usual, her logic was sound and he concurred with her assessment. The way to get the proof they needed was to trace Blackthorn's finances.

Nearing the midpoint of the drive, they pulled into the parking lot of a small diner. Finding a shady spot near the back of the lot, he parked the car. Jenny took the opportunity to feed Lee, tossing a receiving blanket over her shoulder and Lee's head, hiding her from any prying eyes.

Matt decided to stretch his legs a bit and exited the car. A cool breeze brushed along his skin as soon as he stepped outside. It felt wonderful after the hot, sticky weather they'd endured the past week at home. After Lee finished his snack, Jenny made sure he had a dry diaper.

He wiggled the bassinet out of the backseat, and hauled it into the restaurant.  Once they were seated Matt placed the bassinet on the table, and then Jenny laid Lee down inside. The lone waitress rushed over to them. She fussed over Lee in the way all women did with babies, forgetting that he and Jenny were there.  Luckily, for them, Lee quickly fell asleep.

Without the distraction, the server turned her attention to them, taking their order for pie and coffee before moving back to the counter.

After the delicious snack, they took turns freshening up. Soon they were back on the road for the second half of the journey to their mountain retreat. Lee slept peacefully, and instead of lifting him out of the makeshift crib, Jenny decided to sit in the backseat with him.  Matt winked at her in the rearview mirror she winked back and smiled. The next time he glanced in the mirror, Jenny was fast asleep.

~~~SMK~~~

A comfortable silence filled the car, his mind drifted to the coming weekend. Pete, Kevin, Robert and he--the four musketeers-had been going to the Clayton family cabin in the Appalachian Mountains for as long as he could remember.

Best Friends-brothers, since the first day of kindergarten, they shared everything from troubles to triumphs. All of them, except for Robert, enlisting in the Army as soon as they'd turned eighteen. Robert, on the other hand, had a need to soar among the clouds, and decided the Air Force was the place for him.

Kevin returned home first--losing his life during the Battle of the Bulge.

Then Matt returned to the States a few months after the war in Europe ended to help hammer out the details for the peace treaty.

After fighting in Europe, Robert's squadron deployed to the Pacific theater. He ended up stationed at Hickman Air Force Base in Hawaii providing aerial cover just in case the Japanese planned another raid but returned to the east coast after VJ-Day.

Pete finally came home three years after being declared missing in action. Unfortunately, he'd lost his life in a bloody battle on Guadalcanal. They laid him to rest in Arlington Cemetery with all the pomp of a hero's burial.

The fearsome foursome had dwindled into the dynamic duo.  Now, he and Robert made it a point to go to the cabin each Memorial Day to honor Kevin and Pete.

Since he and Jenny had no other family, they planned to ask Robert if he'd become Lee's legal guardian, just in case something should happen to the both of them. Not that they thought anything would, but Jenny worried about it, and he hated to see her upset, so he'd ask Robert.

Once Robert agreed, well, if he agreed, Matt would have the necessary legal documents drawn up. Either way, they still wanted Robert to be Lee's godfather.

~~~SMK~~~

Lost in his memories, he'd nearly missed his turn off, veering over to the exit ramp at the last minute. He swore at his careless driving and peeked in the rearview mirror checking on his precious cargo. The sudden movement woke Jenny. "Hey sleepyhead, we're almost there."

"Hey, yourself. I guess I must have dozed off."

"Just for a bit, you needed the rest." He watched her in the rearview mirror. An angelic smile bloomed across her face as she peeked at Lee. "How's he doing?"

"He's fine, still sleeping. Are we almost to the cabin?"

"Almost. It's about five miles until we reach the general store, then another twenty minutes from there. I'd say about forty-five minutes, if we stop for supplies."

Jenny laughed. "Of course we have to stop, unless you plan on not eating for the weekend."

"I think we'd better pick up food. You know how cranky Robert gets when he doesn't eat."

"Yes, he can be a real bear when he doesn't eat. Just like someone else I know."

She'd whispered the last comment but he still heard her. He ignored her teasing and turned on the local radio station. The booming, baritone voice of the disc jockey filled the car, predicting heavy rains for tonight and beautiful weather for the next few days.

He tuned out the commercial, making a mental note to check the batteries in the emergency flashlight, just in case the power went out. The advertisement ended and music began to play.

Matt smiled remembering the first time he'd heard that song. They had just moved into the house, and he wanted to celebrate with a night on the town. Unfortunately, since they now had a mortgage to pay, he couldn't afford that luxury. Therefore, they sat on the floor, in their unfurnished home, and enjoyed a meal of egg-salad sandwiches. He'd opened a bottle of wine they'd been saving for a special occasion and toasted their good fortune.

Jenny had set up a portable radio in the corner, tinny music drifted around the room. Together, they swayed to the melody while Frank Sinatra crooned about having a crush on his sweetie-pie. They danced for hours that night. Taking a turn in every room, finally ending up back where they'd started.

Gently, he laid her down on the picnic blanket, and they made sweet love into the early hours of the morning. He didn't know for certain, but he guessed Jenny became pregnant that night.

He caught her eye in the rear-view mirror, and winked. She blushed, and he knew she was remembering that night, too.

~~~SMK~~~

The road changed from macadam to country lane. Matt steered the car along the winding path, taking the first bend on the right. He slowed to a stop near the steps to the general store.

After shutting the engine, he exited the vehicle and then cranked open the windows in the back letting the crisp pine-scented air fill the car. Once he finished, he held his out his hand and Jenny tangled her fingers in his as she scooted out the door. He tugged her into his arms and brushed his lips against hers.

She sighed and snuggled closer, wrapping her arms around his waist. He brushed his tongue across her lips and she opened to him. Just as he had his first taste of her, Lee began to cry. Jenny stiffened and tried to pull away. He tightened his hold not allowing her to wiggle free, and spoke against her mouth, "The baby's fine. Let him cry a little, it's good for his lungs." He kissed her again, halting any protests before she had a chance to voice them.

The baby quieted.

Jenny moaned, and he sank deeper into the kiss, letting his tongue tangle with hers. The world faded away until there was nothing left but exquisite pleasure. Fireworks danced behind his eyes, and a low growl rumbled in his chest when she pressed her body closer to his. His body heated, and he rubbed his hips against hers, letting her know just how her kiss affected him.

"Hey you kids, knock it off!"

The shout coming from the vicinity of the store broke the spell. Jenny went rigid in his arms, and he reluctantly ended the kiss. Embarrassed color flooded her face, and she ducked inside the car, and gathered Lee into her arms. He turned and faced the cause of the unwelcomed interruption, seriously considering doing the interloper great bodily harm.

"Hello, Mr. O'Casey." The old man hadn't changed a bit. He stood ramrod straight with his barrel chest thrust out, his ham-sized hands, balled into fists, rested on his hips. Even though grey sprinkled his ginger-colored hair, Matt wouldn't bet against him in a fight.

"Stetson, I should have known you'd turn up sooner or later. I guess that Clayton boy isn't far behind you." He extended his arm, and shook his finger in warning. "I'm warning you, I won't put up with any shenanigans from you two hooligans."

Matt smiled at the old curmudgeon, ignoring his bellyaching. Wrapping his arm around Jenny, they walked toward the store. Gravel crunched under their feet with every step. By the time, they'd climbed the two steps to the porch; Mrs. O'Casey exited the store, and stood next to her husband.

She looked just as she always had. Her auburn hair twisted into a bun at the back of her head. A crisp, white apron covered her dress. Her smile lit her entire face and set her green eyes to twinkling.

"Afternoon, Mrs. O'Casey, you remember my wife, Jennifer, and this is our son, Lee."

"Good afternoon to you." Mrs. O'Casey left her husband's side and walked over to peek at the baby. Carefully she peeled away the blanket and gushed, "oh, what a handsome lad. Looks just like his da.  Come inside before the wee one catches a chill."

Matt held the door open as one by one, Jenny followed by the O'Caseys entered the rustic mercantile. He trailed behind letting the door thump shut behind him.

The interior of the store hadn't changed much since the last time he was here. He imagined it looked the same when it first opened in the early 1900's.

A counter, covered in canned goods and homemade jams, ran the length of the store, bisecting the room into three distinct sections. Under the counter, storage bins held potatoes, and apples as well as other assorted fruits and vegetables. Camping gear hanging from the wall, and other outdoor necessities decorated the right-hand side of the store, dry goods and sundries on the left.  A small-refrigerated case with some meat anchored the back.

Tantalizing pies, cakes, cookies, and homemade bread sat next to an old-fashioned, hand cranked cash register on the check out counter next to the entryway.

He headed over to the camping supplies to pick up some charcoal for the barbeque, while Jenny--toting Lee and a shopping basket, walked over to the vegetable bins to pick out some fresh produce.

She snuggled Lee on her shoulder, and rooted around the container for the choicest potatoes. After placing them inside the basket, it became too heavy to carry along with the baby, so she placed it on the floor and using her foot, nudged it over to the overflowing corn bin.

Matt watched as she tried the impossible task of tearing corn silk one handed. Placing the ear back onto the stack she turned in his direction, a silent plea for help clearly visible on her face.

He started to make his way across the store when Mr. O'Casey beat him to it.

After sending a withering look his way, Mr. O'Casey addressed Jenny, "Might I give you a hand, Mrs. Stetson?"

She bestowed a magnificent smile on Mr. O'Casey. "Thank you. I could use another hand or two." Shocking both the old man and himself, Jenny promptly deposited Lee into the shopkeeper's arms.

His mouth hung open, and he worked his jaw a few times, looking like a fish out of water. A few seconds later, he cradled the baby in his arms and beamed down at the tiny bundle, cooing and singing to the infant. It was Matt's turn to impersonate a landed trout.

Satisfied the baby was safe, Jenny turned back to her shopping.

Taking his cue from her, Matt-toting a bag of charcoal-walked to the back of the store and selected something for dinner that night.

Mrs. O'Casey packaged up three of their best steaks. He winced a bit at the cost, but the holiday and their plan to speak to Robert made the expense less costly. They'd eat hot dogs for the remainder of the weekend.

She came around the counter, and handed him the package. He needed both hands to carry the charcoal, so he used his chin to steady the package of meat against the bag of briquettes, and followed her to the checkout counter.

Jenny met him halfway down the aisle, and rescued their dinner, placing it in the basket with the vegetables. She continued to shop, while he went outside to put the charcoal in the car.

By the time he went back into the store, Mrs. O'Casey had totaled their purchases, and had them boxed and waiting for him on the counter. He went back down the aisle and picked up a six-pack of beer, and a bag of marshmallows. Jenny loved roasted marshmallows. At the last minute, he remembered the upcoming weather forecast and picked up some extra batteries, just in case they needed them.

After paying for their supplies, he scooped up the box of groceries. Jenny reached for Lee, but Mr. O'Casey shook his head, and carried Lee out to the car. Since her arms were free, she laced her fingers through the crook of his elbow, and together they exited the store.

While he rearranged the stuff in the trunk to make room for the box of groceries, Jenny settled back into the front seat, and then took Lee from Mr. O'Casey. Mrs. O'Casey hurried down the drive carrying one of her delicious pies.

"Here, Matthew," she panted. "Take this for dessert. I know how much you love my blueberry pie."

He smiled, and kissed her weathered cheek. "Thank you." Turning back to the trunk, he wedged the pie between the charcoal and the groceries, before closing the hatch.

Promising to return the pie tin on the way out of town, Matt started the car, and waving to the O'Caseys, they drove the short distance to their cabin in the woods.

~~~SMK~~~

Jenny remained in the car while he walked along the slate path to the front porch of the log cabin. She always made him go inside to check for unwanted guests of the four-legged variety. They had a deal, he'd deal with any varmints, and she'd take care of any spiders. A shiver ran down his spine. He hated the creepy-crawly insects.

Stopping just before he reached the steps, he loosened the stone slab, and then extracted the key for the front and side door locks.

Not a safe place to keep the key, he knew, and vowed to speak to Robert about getting a duplicate key made so they could each have one. There had never been any trouble in the area before, but now, he had a family to think about, and their safety was his first priority.

After gaining entry into the cabin, he went from room to room making sure no critters-two or four legged-made themselves at home.

A quick survey under the bed in the upstairs bedroom completed his inspection. He jogged back down the steps whistling, and out the front door, waving an all clear on his way back to the car.

He toted the bassinet, and the perishable groceries, while Jenny carried Lee into the kitchen. Depositing his load on the table, he left his wife inside while he trekked back to the car for the remaining supplies.

It took five trips but he managed to get everything squared away. Jenny aired out the cabin, stowed their supplies and managed to make some lemonade in that time. Now she sat on the porch swing nursing Lee.

Once his son finished his dinner, Matt gently lifted him from Jenny, allowing his wife the freedom to right her clothing. Snuggling the baby against his shoulder, he gave him a few delicate taps to his back eliciting milky drool and a burp.

With a full belly, Lee snuggled against the crook of his neck and promptly drifted off to sleep. Nothing in the world felt better then that, except for holding Jenny in his arms. She cuddled closer to his side, resting her head against his other shoulder. Pushing against the porch, he set the swing into motion.

Heaven, simply heaven, sitting there in the quiet, his two great loves at his side, Matt sighed, content to spend the remainder of his life right there on that porch.

Mother Nature put on a spectacular show, changing the azure sky a brilliant shade of pink, deepening into mauve, and finally a pearly grey. The air took on a distinct chill rousting him from his perch.

The trio made their way back inside the cabin. While Jenny changed Lee into a clean diaper, and pajamas, he moved the bassinet into their bedroom setting it up near Jenny's side of the bed. She carried their newborn over to him, and he kissed his son on the forehead, inhaling the clean, fresh scent of him. Jenny then laid him in the makeshift crib and together, they put the baby to sleep.

Tiptoeing from the room, they left the door open, and wandered back to the kitchen. Expecting Robert to arrive at any moment, Jenny detoured to the counter and began dinner preparations.

Before heading back outside, Matt donned his jacket. Hefting the bag of charcoal onto his shoulder, and snagging the camping lantern, he headed out to the backyard.

By the flickering flame of the kerosene lamp, he made a pyramid of briquettes, sprinkled some lighter fluid on top, and used a piece of newspaper to ignite the small conflagration.

He sat at the picnic table contemplating the stars and waited for the flames to die down. Once the coals reached the correct temperature, he smoothed out the pile and replaced the grill rack before heading indoors.

Matt stepped into the kitchen to find his best friend kissing his wife. It was just a brotherly peck on the check, but seeing his wife in another man's arms made him a bit crazy. "Hey, flyboy, that's my wife you're manhandling. Get your own woman."

Robert threw his hands up in an ‘I surrender' pose, and took one-step back from Jenny.  "Hey, sorry man, I thought Jenny finally came to her senses and dumped your sorry ass."

"Never," she protested with a laugh.

Robert shrugged his shoulders in mock defeat, and then walked across the room. The two old friends greeted each other with a handshake. Matt tugged Robert into one of those manly, backslapping hugs.

"Alright, you two, that's enough." Jenny chided. She pulled the steaks from the icebox. "Supper's almost ready. Robert, go change out of your uniform; Matthew, isn't that barbeque ready, yet?"

Robert snapped a salute before executing a smart about face.

Matt kissed Jenny on her cheek before taking the meat from her, and heading out the back door.

~~~SMK~~~

The steaks sizzled when he placed them on the barbeque. One whiff of the tantalizing aroma wafting off the grill had his stomach loudly growling.

He heard the screen door snap shut a moment before Robert's voice reached his ears. "Aren't those steaks done yet? You know I like mine rare--the bloodier the better."

Matt ignored him, and carefully poked the steaks judging their readiness. "They'll be done in just another few minutes."

By this time, Robert reached his side, and handed him a cold beer. Before taking a refreshing sip, he lifted the bottle in the air. "To Kevin, Pete and all the rest who never made it home--rest in peace."

"Here, here," Robert concurred.

The ping echoed softly, as they knocked the bottlenecks together. They each took a swig, and spent a moment in silent contemplation. Matt gave thanks for making it through the war in one piece. Most of all, he thanked God or the fates for bringing Jenny into his life, and for his perfect son.

Robert's voice intruded on his thoughts.  "Jenny introduced me to Lee.

Congratulations."

Matt couldn't help the smile that crossed his face at the mention of his son. "Thanks."

"He's cute, but a little scrawny. Must take after his father."

"Hey, watch it! That's my boy you're talking about. He's only two-weeks old. Give him time. He'll fill out. Be bigger than both of us."

"I bet. He's lucky to have Jenny for a mom. She's a natural."

"I have to agree. Motherhood agrees with her. She's worried though."

Robert's eyebrows shot to his hairline. "Oh? Is everything all right with the baby?"

Robert gave him the perfect opening, now he had to figure out a way to ask his best friend an enormous favor.

"Oh yeah, Lee's just fine. But, you know women; Jenny's worried about what would happen to him, if we weren't around to take care of him. In fact, I promised her I'd talk to you about it."

"Me?"

"You. We want you to be Lee's godfather."

"I'm honored. Of course, I'll be his godfather. But that's not what Jenny's worried about, is it?"

"Not exactly. Ever since she lost her entire family in Coventry, she's afraid something like that could happen to us. Especially, now that I'm working for Military Intelligence."

He took another swig of beer, taking a moment to get his thoughts in order. Not seeing an easier way to put things, he decided to just come right out and ask.

He took a deep breath and blurted, "You're the only family either of us has, and we want you to be Lee's legal guardian in the event anything happens to us."

A look of panic crossed Robert's face. He could actually see sweat popping out across his brow. His best friend swallowed a few slugs of beer before speaking.

"I'm honored you should ask, but I don't know anything about raising kids."

Matt could relate. For months after he found out they were expecting, he had bouts of panic sure he'd screw something up and ruin his child for life. Even Jenny admitted to him how scared the thought of parenthood made her. Their feelings had only grown since Lee came into the world. "No one does, children don't come with instruction manuals. You wing it, and pray you made the right decisions."

Robert ran both hands through his hair, a sure sign of his apprehension. "I'm not father material. I'm not good with kids. It's an awesome responsibility, not the kind of responsibility for a career military man. A child belongs in a home, not on an Air Force base."

"As long as you love your child, it doesn't matter where you live. If it makes you feel any better, I'll give you the house, too."

Robert looked at him sideways. "Not only do you want to saddle me with your kid, you want to add a house to the load."

Matt raised both his hands in surrender. "Hey buddy; you don't want the house, its fine. Besides, what are the chances something will happen to both Jenny and me? You know how detail oriented she is, she just wants to have all the bases covered."

Robert scrubbed both hands over his face, and sighed. "All right, give me the necessary documents. I'll think about it, and get back to you."

"That's all I ask, brother." Matt thumped him on the back before turning to check on the meat.

Spearing the steaks off the grill, he placed them on a serving platter. "Steak's done. Let's go eat."

~~~~SMK~~~~

5 weeks later

The July sun beat down through the windows making his tiny office an oven.

He stood, and walked over to the window, drew down the shade to keep the sun out, and twisted the knob on the air conditioner. The yahoos in the maintenance department finally got around to fixing the unit.

Stale, tepid air spewed out for a few moments before the compressor kicked in doling out blissfully cool air.

He twisted right and left, stretching the kinks out of his back and shoulders before settling back behind his desk.

He reached for the latest report on Blackthorn. So far, he hadn't turned up any new information tying him into the supply thefts. His gut told him he was on the right track-Blackthorn was guilty, if not for the supply theft than for something else. He just had to keep digging, eventually, he'd find the proof he needed to nail the creep.

Just as he turned the page, a sharp rap sounded on his office door.

"Enter!"

A young private stood on the threshold, and snapped a smart salute, before striding over to the desk. "Lieutenant, this just arrived by special messenger." The soldier held out a large manila envelope.

Matt took the packet from the boy. "Thank you, private."

"Sir." The young man gave another salute before doing an about-face, and exited the office.

Very carefully, he slit the top of the envelope, and pulled out a large sheaf of papers. A white envelop with his name scrawled across the front was secured to the stack. Recognizing the handwriting, he tore the flap and extricated the missive, half-afraid of what he'd find.

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, his hands shook as he unfolded the paper. Wiping them on his pants leg, he dried his sweaty palms before reading the letter.

Hey Buddy,

By the time you get this, I'll be somewhere over an ocean. You know the drill; I can't tell you which one. I'm sorry I'm not going to be at the cabin for Independence Day, but duty calls. I'm sure you and Jenny will manage just fine without me.

Here are the guardianship papers-signed, sealed and delivered. I swear, if you make me raise your son, I'll never forgive you.

Take care. Kiss Jenny for me. Make sure you tell her it's from me!

See you soon,

Bob

He heaved another sigh, and felt the weight lift off his shoulders. Relief flooded his system. Some where deep inside, he worried as much as his wife, even though he knew Bob would agree to raise Lee. He would see it as part and parcel of being brothers.

Matt refolded the letter and placed it back into its envelope. Carefully, he unfolded the legal documents and examined each page.

In his precise handwriting, Robert supplied out all of the necessary information along with his signature. He even had two men from his squadron act as witnesses. Having it all squared away-legally, meant one less worry for Jenny.

Thinking about his wife, Matt called her. He smiled, and his heart sped up as he listened to the ringing in his ear. Funny, after all this time, just thinking about her could still turn him to jelly, especially when she turned all upper crust British on him.

Just as he moved to hang up, he heard her breathless, "Hello". Quickly, he put the phone back to his ear, and enjoyed her panting for a moment, before responding, "Hello, Love."

"Darling, how lovely of you to ring. Are you having a good day?"

"Yes, I am, but I miss you and Lee. You sound out of breath."

"Well, we miss you, too. Lee and I ran a few errands this morning. I was upstairs putting him down for a nap when I heard the phone ring."

"I wanted to share the good news with you. Robert just sent me a letter. He's agreed to be Lee's guardian. He signed all the necessary papers. I'll make some copies on the way home."

"Oh darling, that's wonderful. I have some good news of my own."

He could hear the squeak of the kitchen cabinet over the line. Knowing his wife as he did, he could picture her puttering around, pouring herself a glass of milk, perhaps fixing a sandwich for lunch. "Lee and I went to the doctor this morning."

"How did that go?" He held his breath waiting for her answer. Praying she got an all clear. Fifty-five days, six hours and twenty-three minutes since they'd last made love seemed like a lifetime ago.

"You'll be happy to know, Lee and I are both healthy."

Right at this very moment, he wanted nothing more in the world than to be in the kitchen with her. "Really? Tell me more, Mrs. Stetson."

"Oh, I plan on it. Tonight, after Lee's settled in for the night."

He groaned, and she giggled. His mind conjured up one sexy image after another and he shifted around in the chair trying to find a more comfortable position. "You, my dear, are a very wicked woman. I'm hanging up now, the sooner I can get my work done, the sooner I can come home. Hold that thought. I'll see you soon."

"I'm looking forward to it." She purred and hung up, breaking their connection.

The rest of his afternoon crept by. Each minute felt like hours. His mind refused to concentrate on work. All he could think about was the coming evening.

Deciding to put an end to his torture, he packed his briefcase, making sure to include the guardianship papers. He'd have to make a few copies before bringing them over to the legal department in the morning.

He turned off the air conditioner and the office lights, locking the door behind him before heading home to his family.

End