- Text Size +

The Agency - Section Chief’s Office

Lee and Amanda returned to the office only to find two more dead ends. Both plates were forgeries. Amanda and Lee met with Billy, Francine and Leatherneck in Billy’s office.

“Forgeries?” Amanda asked “Why would someone go to the trouble of creating forged license plates? Isn’t it easier to steal a license plate?”

Lee responded. “Usually.  Unless someone needs a very clean car for something very illegal. Can we check in the databases for this as a possible MO?” Francine said she would start looking and walked out of the office.

“Leatherneck,” Amanda asked, “did the signal come through okay from the bracelet?”

“It came through just fine.”

 “I think we have everything prepared.” Billy reassured her. “Now it is just a matter of time.”

“And waiting” Amanda muttered as she and Lee got up to head back to their office.

IFF - Q- Bureau

They arrived back in the office to a ringing phone. Lee reached it first. “Stetson.” He answered. “Oh, hi Joe…yes, she’ll be here in a minute. I hear her in the hall…hang on a moment.” Amanda looked blankly at Lee and reached for the phone. He signaled her to wait and pressed the hold button. “Joe sounds really annoyed. Has anything been happening between you two lately?”

“No, it’s been quiet. He hasn’t had to cancel on Jamie and Phillip lately.” Amanda responded still with her hand on the receiver.

“Would you mind if I listened in on the conversation?”

“No, of course not. Why?”

“I just have a gut feeling that this setup is starting.”

“Okay, so one…two …three…” They pushed the buttons on the phone simultaneously. Amanda used her cheeriest voice. “Hi, Joe. Sorry it took me so long to pick up….what?...wait, slow down…I don’t know what you’re talking about…” She looked at Lee. He just nodded his head for her to continue. “Well, did he leave a name or a card?...” Lee shook his head at her silently telling her not to say anything more to Joe now. “Joe, you know…ummmm…no Joe, I don’t think it is necessary to involve the court…no, I don’t think I need a lawyer.” Amanda rolled her eyes and continued. “Joe, be reasonable…of course you can see the Boys anytime…I can’t really talk about it right now…later…tonight…I’ll call you… and explain…no…I don’t see how that is possible…of course there is no truth to it…we have had this discussion before Joe…my job has nothing to do with it.” Amanda caught Lee’s frantic signaling to stop that line of discussion immediately. “Lee doesn’t have anything to do with it either…don’t go there, Joe…look I’ll call you later…okay…uh huh…okay…bye Joe.”

“So,” Lee summarized. “A policeman went to Joe to question him on his payment of alimony and child support because they needed to separate what income of yours is legal and illegal. Which set Joe off. Why is he so quick to take the kids? You don’t take alimony. So someone’s information is faulty.”

“He’s not overly fond of my job.” She paused “Why didn’t you want me to tell him about the frame-up. He doesn’t have anything to do with this.”

“We are not totally sure these lines are clean. Remember someone has gotten into the IFF files.”

“Well, I need to call him tonight.”

“Do it from my apartment. So far nothing has been picked up there.”

“At least he offered to represent you. Of course, he did threaten to take the kids in the same breath.” Lee pointed out.

Amanda sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose. “Lee, please don’t start. You know he doesn’t handle change well.”

“I know. I’m sorry.” Lee walked over to her and wrapped her in his arms.  “Hey, at least the waiting is over.”

“Great.” Amanda said sarcastically. “I have so much to look forward to.” She sighed “Let’s go tell Billy this new development.”

As they reached the stairs to the Georgetown Foyer, they heard a voice say “I’m Detective Marks from Metro Police. May I speak to a William Melrose, please? I believe he is Director of Production. I’m here about one of your employees, an Amanda King.”

Lee and Amanda backed quietly away from the door. “Amanda call Billy, tell him he has a visitor under his IFF cover.  Be circumspect. See if you can intimate what happened with Joe. I’m going to ask Mrs. Marston to delay Detective Marks a little.” Lee sauntered down the steps and stopped at her desk. “Mrs. Marston, has that script arrived from the printers yet? It seems to have been delayed.”

“No, Mr. Stetson. It hasn’t arrived yet. But I’ll be sure the delay won’t be long. The printer called ten minutes ago and said it was on the way.”

“Thank you. I’ll just be up in the office.” Lee climbed the stairs. He waited in the doorway and heard Mrs. Marston saying that Mr. Melrose was not in his office at the moment but that his secretary was looking for him. Would the detective care to take a seat?

Lee walked into the Q Bureau to find Amanda briefing their Section Chief over the phone.  Lee waited for a pause then signaled for the phone. “Billy, use the back access to get to ground floor. Mrs. Marston is going to delay him for ten minutes. I think Amanda should be kept out of sight. Okay…see you in a few.” Lee turned to Amanda “Let’s see what this Detective Marks is up to.”

Lee took her hand and led her to the observation room adjacent to the cover office. The cover office was used when a necessary interview must be done through IFF. The room was designed to play many roles. It had deep mahogany wood paneling and leather furnishings appropriate for any high level executive or conference room.

The room adjacent had listening and viewing capabilities. While Lee turned on the equipment, Amanda placed Billy’s name plate next to the door. After waiting a few minutes, Billy escorted Det. Marks into the office. Lee bristled as Marks tried to intimidate Billy by stepping closer and looming over him. Billy responded simply by holding out his hand to indicate that Marks should take a seat.

“What can I do for you?” Billy asked as he sat behind the desk.

“You have an employee,” Marks consulted his notebook, “Amanda King.”

 “Yes.” Billy replied moving some folders around the desk.

“Could you tell me about her?” Marks asked.

“What would you like to know?” Billy asked.

“What does she do for you?” Marks persisted.

“Mrs. King is an Assistant Director and Location Scout. She works with primarily with our Documentary and Film Library departments.

“Location Scout?” Marks raised an eyebrow. “Does she scout locations outside the country?”

“She has.” Billy replied.

“I’m interested in Mrs. King’s personal life.” Marks responded.

“I’m afraid I don’t know much about it. I know she lives with her mother and two sons. I don’t believe in interfering with an employee’s personal business, unless of course, it impacts IFF.” Billy answered politely. “If office rumors are to be believed, I think she is seeing one of our directors.”

Amanda turned down the volume on the equipment and watched as the dark-haired man nodded at this answer. She looked at Lee. “Something’s not right. Look at him. That’s not a surprise to him. I know Joe didn’t tell him we were seeing each other.”

Lee said “He wouldn’t. No, I agree. I think Marks knows more than he is letting on.”

Lee turned the volume back up to her Billy’s response to the next question “…very reliable and quite trustworthy. But I don’t interact with her every day. You would need to talk to her supervisor to get more details.”

Marks inquired. “Does Mrs. King have access to IFF funds?”

“Yes, she does.”

“Have you checked those accounts lately?”

“I would have to ask her supervisor, Lee Stetson. He would have a better grasp of what his department was doing.” Billy feigned a look of concern. “Why are you asking these questions about Mrs. King? Is there reason to be alarmed about our money?”

Marks blue eyes narrowed. “We have received a tip that Mrs. King may be what she appears. I’m not sure how carefully you looked into Mrs. King’s references when you hired her. It would seem that several of her previous employers have found irregularities in the accounts she was responsible for. Thousands of dollars have gone missing. The other companies didn’t want a scandal and hushed up the discovery.”

Lee looked at Amanda after Marks’ words. She was stricken at the baseless accusations. He took her hand and gave her a gentle squeeze.

“I know I’m being set up. But..but…to hear it…” She stammered.

She knew that Lee probably wanted nothing more than to go in and pound the lying Detective’s face in. She looked in to his hazel eyes and saw nothing but love reflected back to her. She returned to watch the monitors, her hand still clasped in his.

Marks was continuing “…like to see Mrs. King.”

Billy appeared to be apologetic. “She is in the field today. I believe her supervisor is in, if you would like to talk to him.”

Marks stood “I don’t think that would do much good. She has been known to have male accomplices or dupes.”

Amanda’s shoulders began to slump as the meaning of his words sunk in. “Lee, he’s accusing me of being a….” She couldn’t even bring herself to say the words. Lee’s arms went around her.

“Honey, it’s obvious to anyone who knows you he’s lying. Don’t let him get to you. He calling me a dupe and you don’t see me getting upset.”

Amanda smiled up at him and stroked his cheek. He could always make her feel better, no matter what the situation. Amanda head snapped around again at her sons’ names being mentioned. “…Jamie and Phillip, I believe. Would you say she pays attention to her children? Are they safe around her?”

Before Lee realized it, Amanda suddenly turned to the door and began to open it. Lee was there wrapping his arms around her shoulders. “Amanda, stop! You can’t go in there. You’ll blow everything.”

“I just want to show him how far I’ll go to protect my boys.” Amanda said putting her hands on his chest trying to get out of his grasp. “That’s what he was trying to do with Joe. Make him think I’m a danger to Jamie and Phillip.”

Lee grabbed her shoulders and gave her a little shake. “Calm down, now. This is not helping.”

Amanda felt the tell-tale heat climb up her neck as blood rushed to her head.  “I need to get them away, Lee. If they are going to be a target of this garbage, they need to get away from me. I don’t want them hurt.”

“Okay, talk to Joe or your mother.” Lee reasoned.

Amanda took a deep breath. She began to recover some of her equilibrium as she unconsciously matched Lee’s breathing rate. “I want to smack that man.”

“I know, so do I. But that won’t help.”

“I can’t believe you’re the one telling me to calm down.” Amanda retorted lifting an eyebrow.

They heard Billy say “I’ll check at once into those financial accounts immediately.”

Standing up and leaning over Billy’s desk. “Would you reconsider letting me see where Mrs. King works?”

Billy quietly sat back in his chair and replied. “I told you already. She doesn’t have one space that is exclusively hers. Right now, she is working on a classified film for the government and you are not cleared to see it. If there is nothing else…?”

“No, I have no more questions.” Det. Marks headed to the door.

“I’ll escort you out.”

Lee and Amanda watched Marks leave IFF then went to see Billy in his office.

“Did a tail get put on Marks?” Lee asked immediately.

“Yes. They were waiting for him when he left. Amanda, it is about time to start your suspension. We will give some time to investigate then suspend you on Monday.”

Amanda sighed. “Yes, sir.”

Billy looked at her “Are you ready for this?”

Amanda returned his gaze. “About as ready as I will ever be.”

Francine arrived at that moment with news. “There are a half a dozen names in the database that uses forged plates. Only one has recently come across our radar, Scott.” Francine laid the file down on Billy’s desk. Lee and Amanda both got up to look at it but sat back down as Billy opened the file.

“There’s not much here.” Billy commented.

“We don’t know much about him.” Francine replied. “As a matter of fact we are not even sure if it is a man or a woman. Nobody can confirm it.”

            “At least we finally have something to go on. That’s better than a vague threat.” Lee looked hopeful at the news.

            “We will see what else we can come up with. Get some rest, people, and keep your eyes open. I don’t want anything to happen before we are ready. Oh and Amanda, before you head home stop by the dispensary and see Dr. Anderson. I think he has something for you.”

Lee’s Apartment

That evening Lee and Amanda had dinner at his apartment. After dinner Amanda fulfilled her promise to Joe to explain. Lee sat beside her on the couch and could see the tension rising in her body as she tried to explain as much as she could to Joe about her current situation. Amanda’s face and body showed her reaction to Joe’s typical comment advising Amanda that the Agency was not a safe place for her. Lee rolled his eyes at her and she stuck out her tongue at him when he heard Joe add that her association with Lee was probably at the center of the trouble.  Amanda firmly told him that she understood his concern but she was staying with her job and Lee.

            After she had hung up, no words were needed Lee pulled her to him and rubbed her neck and shoulders. She leaned back into him and simply absorbed his strength until she had to go home.