- Text Size +

Georgetown – Outside IFF

            Scott sat in the car waiting for the target to emerge. Waiting had to be the worst part of the job. The planning was done and the traps were set and all that was left was to trigger them in the right order then pick up the merchandise and collect the commission. Scott sat up straighter when Amanda King and Lee Stetson left the building. They walked arm in arm down the street to a Corvette and he helped her in. He gave her a kiss before he closed the door. That was bad.  The continual phone calls when they were together were only going to be effective for a short amount of time. But, The Buyer’s instructions had been clear. No one was to touch the merchandise. She was to be unmarred and unsullied when he began the training.

            Scott didn’t really care what The Buyer was going to do with Amanda King. The fee for this retrieval was staggering and that’s all that really mattered. However, something would have to be done with the boyfriend. Maybe he could be persuaded to drop her; if not perhaps a more permanent removal would be necessary. Of course that would increase the retrieval fee.

            Scott followed them to a small outdoor café and watched as Stetson helped her out of the car and managed to pull her into his arms and kiss her. Amanda laughed and pushed playfully at his chest. Stetson responded by grabbing her hand and bringing it to his lips for a kiss. ‘Definitely, not good.’ Scott thought. ‘Something will have to be done.’ It is time to start the process of claiming Mrs. King.

            Scott picked up the car phone. “Dave, I have a job for you.”

Georgetown – Elaine’s Cafe

Across the street, Amanda was relishing lunch with her husband. They had tested the signal on the bracelet and would get the results when they returned to work.

She smiled as they held hands on the table. ‘This boyfriend cover is great,’ she thought ‘I love anytime I can show him just how much I love him.’

“What are you thinking, Amanda?” Lee asked.

“Just appreciating our cover. Think we can keep it full time? It’s wonderful being able to hold hands in public, hug or kiss or…” Under the table, she ran her nails lightly over the top his thigh.

He shivered at her touch. “You better stop right there.” He whispered leaning into her. “We don’t have the time for another or.”

“But Lee, the other or is so much fun.” Enjoying his reaction, she ran her nails up the inside of his thigh.

Lee captured her hand before it went to high. “Amanda King, I am shocked! I’m just your boyfriend now. Would you so willingly come to my bed for the other or?”

“In a heartbeat.” Amanda whispered as she pulled his head in for a quick kiss. “You’re so much more than just my boyfriend.”

“Now you tell me,” Lee declared exasperatedly “and after I made an honest woman out of you.”

“Lee, now I am shocked. I have always been an honest woman.”

“I know, My Love, trust me, I know.”

Their playful words reminded of her current predicament. “Have you seen anything suspicious?” Amanda asked as she brought her head closer to his.

“Maybe, I think we picked up a tail as we left the office. Gray sedan parked across the street and five cars down. We’ll try to get the license plate as we leave.”

Their food arrived and curtailed any other conversation for a few minutes. Amanda dropped her napkin and looked around for the sedan Lee had mentioned. It was still there and the plate was semi obscured by another car. They continued to talk during lunch and soon it was time to return to the office.

“I would really like to get a look at who’s in that car.” Lee told her as they left the restaurant. “Think you could provide a distraction for me?”

“I think I could manage that. How about window shopping?” They joined hands and crossed the street stopping to look at the shops along the way. “Lee, look at that necklace. Isn’t it beautiful?”

“Amanda, what do you need with another necklace? You only have one neck.”

“There’s no need to get snarky.” Amanda let her voice get louder “I was only pointing out that it was beautiful.”

Lee began to walk towards the car. “I know what that means. You want me to buy it for you.”

Amanda planted herself both hands on her hips next to the car “That’s not what it means and if that is as highly as you think of me then perhaps I will return to the office without you.” She started to move out in the street to hail a cab.

“Amanda, Baby, that is not what I meant and you know it.”

Amanda stood to the right of the front of the gray sedan and began in an aggrieved and raised voice. “Taxi!” She turned quickly on him. “Don’t you dare baby me! I know when you are just trying to placate me. Don’t treat me like one of the bunnies you used to date. Or are you still dating them? My mother always warned me about you. She thought you were a player from the first time she met you. You know what our problem is? It’s communication.  Lee, honestly, you would think that we could communicate better. I mean look at what we have been through. I’m not sure why you think that everything I say or comment on should be open to your criticism. I should be able to express my opinion without fear that you are going to jump down my throat about it. If I tell you that my favorite color is blue, you feel the need to tell me that it’s red. I can’t remember the last time I said something without a comment on your part...” Amanda’s continued ramble and accompanying hand movements managed to capture the immediate audience giving Lee time to write the license plate number and take a surreptitious look in the car. 

Lee walked over to her and confessed. “You’re right. We need to communicate better. Don’t take a cab. C’mon I’ll drive you back. We can continue this in the car.”

Amanda reluctantly allowed herself to be pulled in the direction of the Corvette. “I think I can walk on my own. Thank you.” She pulled out of his grasp and began to walk towards the car.

Lee had stopped in the street when she pulled away from him and was looking exasperatingly at her as she continued her tirade. She had been walking backward still talking to him and had turned her back to him to get in the car. She wanted to laugh at the picture his face made. She had seen it so often when they first began working together. 'I haven't seen that look for a long time,' she mused, 'except, of course, when I don't stay....'

Suddenly a squeal of tires brought her attention back to the street as black car bore down on him. She whipped her head around in time to see him jump out of the way somehow managing only to get a glancing blow by the headlight as the car sped away.

 “Lee!” Amanda shouted as she ran across to him. “Are you alright? Sweetheart, you could have been killed.” She began running her hands over his body looking for broken bones.

“Amanda,” Lee said stopping her hands and trying to catch his breath. “I’m fine. I think the car clipped my hip.  That’s all. I don’t suppose you got the license plate number.”

“I only got the first three letters.”

“Let’s get back to the office and see what we can get on those license plates. He looked at her and rubbed his hip. “Would you drive, Amanda? I’m a little sore.”