- Text Size +

Lee and Amanda spent the rest of the week looking over old case files trying to find a connection. Lee checked with his family and other acquaintances for any rumors or news. They had nothing on the Central American Arms sale or frame-up. The news they got was about an inquiry for computer equipment from Auggie. Also, there was a retrieval agent named, Scott, in town. Since Scott was known to specialize in rare artifacts, they sent an advisory to the Archives and museums and moved on.

Amanda complained about feeling little claustrophobic and paranoid. Lee sympathized after all someone was after her and they had no idea who it was.

They met with Billy, Francine and Leatherneck for an update. “Well, the good news, first, we have cleared some Agency personnel from any complicity in this frame.” Billy reported. “We will be able to staff a surveillance van to watch the house. Leatherneck, what came up on the bug sweep?”

“Mrs. King has six devices planted in her house total. They’re well planted and well designed. One is in the den and can pick up sound in the kitchen, one in the living room. The others are on the second floor in your bedroom, the hallway, the boys’ rooms and in your mother’s room. We have the frequency for the pickup and can jam the devices if needed. White noise should defeat them. If you want to have a private conversation, run water in your bathroom with the door closed or go to the laundry room with the machine running.

“I’ll try to remember.” Amanda assured them.

“I have pulled files from arrests made by Lee and Amanda.” Francine commented “I’ll bring them up to the Q when I get them cross checked.”

“Thank you, Francine.” Amanda responded.

“Scarecrow,” Billy asked, “have you seen anything suspicious around Amanda’s house.”

“Nothing yet.” Lee replied. “I’m over there a lot lately and nothing sticks out.”

“Keep up with your assignments people. I want to be ready when the time comes.” Billy ordered as the meeting broke up.

 Lee, ever her protector, followed his orders to not let her out of his sight except when she was alone in bed. One evening they sat on the couch watching a movie and Amanda stifled a yawn.

“C’mon Sleepyhead. Time to put you to bed.” He paused looked around the room reminding her of the hidden microphones. Lee whispered as he kissed her ear. “I just want to check your room.”

Amanda mimicked his gesture. “Sweetheart, no one could get up there.”

“You never know who could be up there, Dan, Alec, or the other men you have failed to tell me about.” He teased her.

“You’re a funny man, Stetson.” She looked at him for a moment and acquiesced. “C’mon, let’s go to my room. Just be quiet.”

They climbed the stairs together both stepping over the squeaky step. She closed the door to her bedroom and he grabbed her.

“Lee,” she exclaimed “what are you doing?”

“You wanted me to look at the leak in the bathroom.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot.”

They walked into the bathroom together and turned on the shower. Lee was watching her when she turned around.

“So what do you want to do, stake out my bed?”

A broad smile crept across his face, “Actually, now that you suggest it, I think that would be a great idea.” He nuzzled the sensitive spot below her ear. “It’s been too damn long since we’ve been together.” He murmured as he began to unbutton her blouse.

Amanda moved her hands sensuously up his chest and around his neck. “And how exactly would you explain your presence in my bed to your mother-in-law and our sons?”

Lee kissed her neck. “Easy, let’s say we ran off and got married.”

“That’s what we did.” Amanda reminded him as she began to squirm from his attention.

He continued to unbutton her blouse trailing kisses down her neck and across her collarbone. “Oh, yeah. So, what’s the problem?”

“Secrecy, our jobs, family safety and the ability to have great sex in your apartment. Anything ring a bell?”

“Yep. Okay, so, let’s just make out like a couple of teenagers.” Lee suggested beginning to tug at her shirt.

The sound of her phone ringing broke the moment. Lee swore under his breath. “Who’s calling at this hour?” he demanded.

Amanda placed a finger across his lips signaling him to be quiet. She walked out of the bathroom and went to her phone. “Hello…hello? No one’s there. Must have been a wrong number.” She replaced the phone and moved to Lee again. No sooner had he recommenced his kisses that the phone rang again. “Hello?” she stated more firmly. She looked at Lee.  “Nothing.”

They heard a door open down the hall and a knock on her door. Amanda quickly buttoned her blouse and she signaled Lee to get in the bathroom. “Amanda,” her mother’s voice came from the door, “who’s on the phone.” Lee stood in the doorway and listen to their conversation.

Amanda opened the door. “No one Mother. Must have been a wrong number.”

Dotty walked into the room. “Amanda, dear, why is your shower running?”

“Lee’s in there looking for the leak in the tub.” Amanda extemporized.

Dotty looked at her daughter over her glasses. “Uh huh…a leak. Well, I leave you two to it. Now that I am awake, I may get some milk. Would either of you like something?” Dotty asked.

“No thank you, Mother. Lee was just leaving.”

“Good night, Darling. Good Night, Lee.” Dotty called out.

“Night Dotty.” Came back Lee’s reply.

Amanda shut her door, walked to the bathroom and leaned against the doorframe. “I guess you need to leave.” She muttered. “My mother will never sleep with you in here.”

“I guess so.” They walked down the stairs together deliberately stepping on the squeaky stair to let her mother know he was leaving.

He pulled her into his arms. “I love you.”

She smiled up at him. “I love you, too. Sleep well.”

Lee mumbled as he walked out of the house. “Not too likely.” With the memory of his wife’s kisses fresh in his mind, he knew a cold shower was in his future.