- Text Size +

IFF - March 24, 1987

Amanda was standing behind Lee looking at a surveillance report on a potential Central American buyer for American made arms. She had one hand on his shoulder while the other hand massaged his neck unconsciously. Lee was in heaven. It was hard to concentrate on what they were reading while she was doing that but, he didn’t want her to stop either. He took the hand on his shoulder and brought it to his lips for a kiss. Then tilted his head up to look at her and smiled. She smiled back and began to bring her mouth down to his when the phone rang.

            “Damn it.” He growled as he picked up the phone.  “Stetson.”  He felt Amanda’s forehead strike his shoulder. His unoccupied hand moved to caress her hair.

            The gruff voice of their Section Chief came over the line “Scarecrow, I need you and Amanda down in my office immediately.”

            “What’s up, Billy?”

            Billy was unyielding. “Just get down here. I’ll explain it when you get here.”

            “We’re on our way.”

            Lee looked at Amanda. “Billy wants to see us.” He took her hand pulled it around his back and brought her closer for a kiss. She smiled, wiped lipstick off his lips and walked across the room to her desk. She closed the folder she had been working on before Lee had called her over to look at the report.  He sighed. It was never enough for him.  Their time together was so precious. They rarely got time to be Lee and Amanda Stetson.

Amanda waited by the door for Lee to join her. Lee placed his hand firmly on the small of her back and guided her out of the room stopping to lock it as was their habit.

They talked of inconsequential things while they headed to the Bullpen.  “Lee, look at Billy’s office,” Amanda whispered as they walked through the doors, “something’s not right.”  Lee noticed that the Section Chief’s blinds were down.

Billy closed the door behind them and launched directly into an interrogation of the pair. “Amanda, why have you transferred IFF funds from the Q Bureau to other accounts?”

Obviously caught off guard by the harsh tone in her boss’s voice as well as the question, Amanda looked puzzled. “I haven’t, Sir. Most of those accounts are only for use when we use our IFF cover and we face a situation where money can be exchanged. They are red flagged and trigger an immediate response by a tac team if a status check isn’t forthcoming in 30 minutes. We use them in the case of simple ransom kidnapping, extortion or bribery. I believe we set them up for some of our international trips. The other accounts are used to maintain the Film Library cover.”

“Scarecrow, have you?”

“No, Billy. Both Amanda and I know what those accounts are for and we wouldn’t touch them except in an emergency. Most of our operations budget comes from the field section budget. That is the way we designed the system for the Q Bureau when I took it over last year.”

Billy continued his intent focus on Amanda’s face “Amanda, have you been doing research or making inquiries about jobs with other international film companies?”

Lee and Amanda looked at each other in confusion at his non sequitur. Lee’s grip on the back of the chair tightened and he questioned his boss. “Billy…what is this about? With everything she has done to become an agent, why in the world would Amanda be looking for a job with another film company?”

Billy held his hand up to stop Lee from saying anything else. Billy held Amanda’s questioning gaze. “Still, Amanda, answer my question.” He ordered.

Amanda responded the look of dread on her face becoming clearer. “No, Sir. I am very happy here at the Agency. I would never think of leaving without consulting you or Lee.”

“Have you given your computer access codes to anyone else?” Billy continued.

Amanda paused and seemed to consider her answer. “Lee knows them in case of an emergency. We have a system worked out between us for certain situations.”

Billy persisted “You have been doing a lot of work on your house lately. How are you paying for it?”

Amanda looked at Lee. They had been slowly repairing her house in preparation of going public with their marriage and looking for a new house together. Lee had insisted on paying for a share of the repairs and household expenses since their marriage. He pointed out to Amanda that he was there all the time now at least he could do was pull his own weight.   “Sir, some is out of my savings account and…,” she paused looking Billy straight in the eye, “Lee has helped me with a loan or two.”

Billy leaned forward in his chair and asked. “Would you be willing to take a polygraph to confirm everything you just said?”

“Of course, if it is necessary.” Amanda replied apprehensively. Lee knew she was probably wondering what else might come out in a polygraph.

Lee couldn’t contain himself anymore. “Billy, what is this all about? You can’t think that Amanda would …embezzle funds or leave the Agency not after all she’s done to be a full time agent. That is absurd.”

The door opened and the stench of cigarette smoke was the precursor to the entrance of the Agency’s director. Dr. Smyth looked at the assemblage and said, “Mother Hubbard got caught with her hand in the cookie jar.”

Amanda turned and faced him. “No, Sir! I have no idea what’s happening.”

Dr. Smyth ignored her. “Get on with it, William.”

Billy addressed Dr. Smyth. “I am convinced that Mrs. King knows nothing about what is going on. She has volunteered to take a polygraph. While she was in the office when the transfers took place, she was present in a meeting with Scarecrow and me when the second transfer occurred.  She knows the precautions we put on those Q Bureau accounts. As a matter of fact, she helped design the safeguards.”

Lee’s patience was beginning to fade. “Could someone tell us what is going on?”

“Both of you sit down. It would appear that someone is trying to make us believe that Amanda embezzled Q Bureau funds.” Billy explained to the pair. “The amounts were small at first and from the Film Library accounts, a thousand dollars here five hundred dollars there. But then the amounts changed as did the accounts.

Amanda inquired. “How did I get involved?”

 “We have been watching your accounts and money has been flowing in and out.”

Lee questioned “How long has this been going on? We haven’t looked at those accounts since the last audit.”

 “It’s been going on for the past three weeks. Amanda, you wouldn’t know because your bank statement has not been generated.” Billy paused for a sip of coffee. “Also, there have been several inquiries about Amanda’s employment status with IFF from film companies outside the US.”

“I don’t understand, Sir. Why the job inquiries?” Amanda questioned.

Lee broke in. “Obviously, they are trying to make it seem like you want to leave the country after stealing the money.”

Billy nodded “Yes, but who are they? What have you two been working on lately?”

Amanda began. “We’ve been finishing up spring cleaning interviews and reports.”

“Are you using your IFF cover for any of those?”

“No. We’ve been mostly using the People’s Encyclopedia, except for one group when we used an old Bureau of Marital Statistics cover.”

“Why that cover?”

“Ummm…” Amanda started to blush. “They were an advocacy group for…” She looked at Lee desperately.

Lee smiled at his wife and picked up the thread. “They advocated free love, free condoms and polygamy. We didn’t think that an encyclopedia would want to include that.”

Billy smiled. He looked like he was pondering asking how the conservative Amanda handled that interview. “Was there anything suspicious going on at any of those places.”

Amanda shook her head while Lee answered. “No, just the usual crackpots.”

Billy probed. “Have you been working on anything else?”

Lee replied. “We’ve been working and checking surveillance on a possible Central American arms deal. The dealer is low level and probably trying to break into the big time. So far there is nothing to report.”

Amanda, still looking a bit overwhelmed, asked “Sir. I need to get this clear. Do you mean that someone is trying to make me look like I have embezzled funds, want to leave the Agency, and flee the country?”

“Not the Agency, Amanda, IFF.” Billy corrected.

“That doesn’t make any sense. Why tarnish my IFF cover and not my Agency career?”

“Precisely, what I was wondering.” Billy mused.

“Exactamundo, Kiddies, who wants to put Mother Hubbard here on the hot seat?” Interjected Dr. Symth. “I’ll leave it to you.” He said as he wafted out the door in a cloud of smoke.”

“Well, that was inspiring.” Lee said sarcastically as the door shut behind Dr. Smyth. He turned his attention back to Billy. “So, how much money is gone from those accounts?” Lee asked relieved that Symth had left.

“Almost a quarter of a million dollars.”

            “That’s nearly the whole amount. Where did it go?” Amanda queried.

            “We were able to trace it to an offshore account in Amanda’s name.”

            “My name? Why? Wait, if it is in my name, can we bring it back?” asked Amanda practically.

            “My inclination is to let it remain there until we know who is trying to set you up. Have you had any run-ins with anyone using your IFF cover? Have you had any bad relationships lately?”

            Amanda looked at Lee and smiled. “No, sir. Everything’s been quiet. Nothing special.”

            Billy caught the smile between the two of them. “What about you, Lee? You two tend to spend a lot of time together. Do you know anyone that might want to set Amanda up? Have you had any jealous girlfriends?”

            Lee smiled again. “No, Billy,” he assured his boss. “There are no new girlfriends about.”

            Billy relaxed in his chair. “At least we seem to be ahead of the curve on this one. I don’t think we were supposed to find the missing money yet. We found it early because of the flags. Then we looked at the other accounts and found the smaller transfers.  Is this a prelude to an attack on the two of you? Divide and conqueror? Amanda seems to be the only target right now.”

            Lee said. “That doesn’t mean something isn’t coming my way soon.”

            “True, “admitted Billy “we really need to figure out the game plan. I’ll have Francine start a check on the whereabouts of anyone you’ve captured.”

            Lee thought about the number of people they had put away when he heard Amanda question. “Shouldn’t we be able to cross reference those files with the IFF cover? That should narrow the field a little.”

            Billy replied. “Good thinking, Amanda. I want you two to start making those cross reference checks. Watch your backs. Let’s plan ahead so that when this trap is sprung, we’re ready.”

            “Wait a minute.” Lee interrupted. “What about the computer transfers under Amanda’s name? How did that happen? Who accessed those?”

            Billy answered. “We don’t know. I have a person I trust working that angle right now. It seems that the frame up is coming from within the Agency. So we may have to make a public example of you once the trap is sprung.”

“Thank you so much” Amanda whispered. Lee reached over and placed his hand on her arm. She gave him a smile that didn’t reach her eyes and placed her hand on his.

“Amanda, don’t worry.” Billy assured her. “You’re innocent and we’ll work to figure out what is happening.”

“Billy, I’m worried about Amanda’s safety.” Lee said as they started to leave. “If she is going to be suspended or removed from the Agency we need a life line for her. I think we should take a trip to see Leatherneck about some electronic help.”

“Go ahead. He has been cleared for access on this.” Billy replied “Amanda, I’d like to have him sweep your house for bugs.”

“Certainly, sir.”

Billy stopped them as they were heading to the door. “Lee, why don’t you stick close to Amanda for now? Use the boyfriend cover.”

Lee smiled. “I suppose I could do that. How about it, Partner? Are you willing to be my girlfriend for a while?”

“I could make that adjustment, Scarecrow.” Amanda smiled back at him as they closed the door.