- Text Size +

4247 Maplewood Dr.

April 6, 1987

            Amanda sat on her couch and contemplated what to do next. She had Agency back up on hand. She was suspended right on schedule. Lee was feeding the gossip back at the office. She was completing cleaning the linen closet just to give her something to do when a knock sounded on her front door.

            Alex Montgomery stood at her door with a wine bottle and two glasses. “Amanda I know you said you had a killer headache so I thought I would come over to see if I could help with anything.”

            “Thanks Alex… that is sweet of you, really. But I’m not sure I’m in the mood for company.” Amanda replied.

            “Come on, Amanda, you look really down. It helps to talk to someone.” Alex coaxed.

            “Alright, come on in.” Amanda acquiesced.

            Amanda flipped the catch on her bracelet three times to signal a non-family member in the house. “You know Alex, it is probably not a good thing for me to be drinking wine in the middle of the afternoon. The boys will be home soon. I try to set a good example for them. I’m already having problems with my ex. Besides I had a lousy day a work and would probably just complain the entire time.”

            “Then you really need to talk. Come to my house. We can talk privately there. Besides you haven’t seen the house since we moved in.”

            “My boyfriend’s coming over soon. I really need to be here.”

            “So leave a note, he will be able to find you.”

            Amanda pondered. “Maybe I’ll just call him to see if he is on his way. That way I can tell him where I will be.”

            “C’mon Amanda, does he own you? Do you have to check in every time you do anything? Isn’t it time you told him something and made him listen? I mean he’s cute and all but it seems that he doesn’t communicate well with you. I talked to your mother. It seems she doesn’t trust him very much.”

            Amanda’s wariness perked up at this comment. As she feigned indecision her mind raced, she pondered how she was going to accomplish what she needed to do. She played with bracelet opening the clasp on a long burst then two short. That should have the surveillance detail on alert and have them contact Lee and Mr. Melrose immediately.  Amanda didn’t want to walk into a trap but she had to find out what was going on. Why she, of all people, had been set up. She nodded at her neighbor. “Maybe you’re right Alex. Maybe it’s time to teach Lee a thing or two. Let me leave a note for Mother and the boys. Then I’ll be right over. Why don’t you go on ahead?”

            “Don’t be silly Amanda. I’ll be glad to wait.”

            “Okay, just give me a minute to take care of some things.” Amanda walked into the laundry room and started to pull clothes out of the dryer. “Sorry Alex.” She called. “This needs to be done before the clothes get all wrinkly.” Amanda reached into her pocket and pulled out the experimental inhibitor which Dr. Anderson seemed to think would slow the absorption of any barbiturates in her system. She walked back to the kitchen and made a show of writing a note. “Mother, Went to Alex Montgomery’s house. Be Back Soon, Love Amanda. She secretly wrote a second note to Lee. “L. Zulu Blue 4251. A.” She looked around for Alex and saw her by the bookshelves looking at family pictures, her back to Amanda. ‘That is where Leatherneck said the bug was.’ She thought. While Alex’s attention was distracted she left Lee’s note on the refrigerator with a blue triangle magnet.  She hoped Lee would be there soon. She cleared her throat and made a minor show of leaving the note on the counter for her mother.

            “All set. Let’s go.” Amanda moved to the front door. Alex stopped her.

             “Oh Amanda, I’m such an idiot. I locked the front door. We can go through the back door, it’s probably faster anyway.

            “Let’s go out the front and around. Mrs. Gilstrap doesn’t like people going through the backyard. You should hear the way she yells at Phillip and Jamie when the ball goes into her yard.”

            “Well, okay then. Let’s go.” Alex came behind Amanda. “Shoot, I left the wine glasses on the table. I’ll get them.” She returned and began to walk with Amanda to her house.  Amanda looked around surreptitiously for the ‘Vette or the surveillance van but didn’t see either of them around. She felt very alone.

4251 Maplewood Dr.

April 6, 1987

            “So, Alex what are you going to do with the front garden? You know my mother could help you pick the right flowers.” Amanda started conversationally.

            “I’m probably not going to do much with it right now. C’mon let’s get inside and get you a glass of wine.” Amanda felt a firm hand on her back as she entered the house. “Now I have really only finished one room and a bedroom.”

            “Well, it is nice.” Amanda looked around the room assessing the furnishings and escape routes.

            “Here’s your wine. Now, sit down and tell me what’s wrong.”

            Amanda took a drink and began to explain. “Something happened at work. I got in trouble for it. Joe found out about it and now is giving me grief about the Phillip and Jamie, and Lee and I are fighting a lot. Everything has just been coming down around my head over the last few weeks.” Amanda paused and took another drink. She could feel the edges of something in her conscious.

            A door opened and a man entered the house. “Amanda, let me introduce my fiancé, David Marks. Dave this is our neighbor, Amanda King.”

            Amanda looked at the man and managed to keep the mask of civility on her face. “It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Marks. I hope you enjoy the neighborhood.”

            “I’m sure we will, Mrs. King.”

            “Amanda, are you okay? You’re looking a little flushed.” Alex said taking her hand and leading her to the couch.

            “I’m fine. Like I said I am not much of a drinker.” Her motor control was beginning to fade slightly. She looked at the slight tremor in her hand. Amanda had a hard time holding the wine glass and watched it as it fell from her grasp and hit the floor.  She let her body sink a little more into the couch feigning greater weakness.  “I feel funny.”

            “Don’t worry, Amanda, it’s just a little sedative. It should keep you quiet during the transfer.”

            “Transfer? What transfer?” Amanda slurred.

            “We’re simply finishing a previous business transaction. Now just relax. We have some arrangements to take care of first.” She turned her attention to Marks. “I smacked her pretty hard with the dosage, she should be out soon. It’s time to go plant the seeds of doubt at home. I took the note she left her Mother and left the duplicate.”

            Dave nodded once, left the house and Amanda heard a car drive away.

            Amanda’s mind whirled over the information she was receiving.  The inhibitor was keeping her mind clear but allowing her body to become sluggish. She still had movement but she had to be deliberate.  Where had she heard something similar before? She thought back to a few days ago in the Q Bureau when she and Lee were talking about Sinclair. But Sinclair was dead…his buyers weren’t though. Obviously they just found someone else to do the dirty work.

            “Alex,” Amanda whispered pushing the words through her sluggish jaw, “why would you do this?”

            “This is my job. I retrieve things for wealthy people and get very well paid for it too.”

            “How did you set me up?” Amanda managed through her increasingly immobile lips.

            “Sorry, Amanda, I am not some dime store paperback villain willing to spill my guts. Now be a good girl and be quiet. I would gag you but my orders are for you to remain untouched and unharmed. Crap, it was all I could do to keep you and your boyfriend apart.”