- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks: Carrie for finding my boo boos.

Notes: When I heard the song Mistletoe and Wine, I thought it’d make a great title. This is what I came up with and I almost didn’t finish it when I read Angie’s story set during the same time frame. But I said what the heck, the more stories, the merrier
Mistletoe and Wine

Friday, December 21, 1984

Christmas and the days leading up to it were just like any other. A day, twenty-four hours long, the sun rises, it sets. Nothing special.

That’s what he said and he meant it.

Why in the hell couldn’t Amanda understand? She wouldn’t listen. It’s like she’d gone deaf. No matter how many times he told her. Chilled champagne, chips, a bowl of guacamole and a good football game were the only things he needed.

Every day this past week she’d tried her hardest to get him into what she called the ‘holiday mood.’ No matter what time of day he saw her she’d have a twinkle in her eye, humming a carol, helping someone decorate, offering Christmas cookies or some other delicacy she’d baked. The memory of those cookies made his mouth water. Okay, so he didn’t mind accepting the sweets. She did make a mean cookie. It’d be a sin to turn down one of those sugary delights.

Lee pulled into his parking spot at his apartment building. He didn’t have to go back to work until the day after Christmas. The Agency had generously decided to give almost everyone a four-day weekend. Lee had tried his damnedest to be a part the remaining skeleton crew, but Billy erased his name every time he added it to the board. The last time he’d threatened him with the milk run from hell if he put his name back on it. Oh well, he’d just have to find something to occupy his time.

Besides all work and no play, made for a very dull Scarecrow.

If all went according to plan, the next several days would entail a lot of playing. He hadn’t even had to open one of his little black books. Ladies had been calling him non-stop saying they wanted to come over to give him a gift. He wasn’t about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Grabbing the case of wine, they’d been out of his favorite champagne, and a small bag Lee made his way to his apartment. After placing the case down on the wine bar he filled an ice bucket with chopped ice then set a bottle in it to chill. The others he placed in his wine rack. He smiled seeing the one bottle of champagne he had left. He’d be able to celebrate Christmas in Stetson tradition.

Lee grabbed the bag and opened it. Why had he bought this? It wasn’t like he needed it. Something had told him to buy it when he saw it at the cash register. Well it was Christmas and women seemed to love this type of display. They found it romantic and whimsical. Who was he to argue?

After opening the sprig of mistletoe he wondered where should he hang it. He scanned the room for an appropriate location. Then it dawned on him. He wouldn’t hang it. He’d leave it on the table next to the door, so that when the doorbell rang he could open it holding the mistletoe over his head.

Monday, December 24, 1984

Evening

The doorbell rang. Lee sat on the couch sipping his first glass of champagne. Who in the heck could that be? He hadn’t answered the phone all day. There had been several calls but for some reason he wanted to spend the evening in reflection. For the last two days he felt like his door had been a revolving one. What surprised him the most was the fact that once he let whichever lady inside his apartment, he couldn’t wait to get her out.

Yeah, he been kissed a lot, but something held him back from taking it to the next level. Deep down he didn’t want to spend any quality time with them. Accept their gift, give them a scarf in return, show a little affection, and then send them on their way.

He had to be sick. He shook his head and felt his forehead. Nope not warm, but surely he had to be coming down with something.

Maybe Amanda’s holiday spirit had infected him. To a point. The point being that he was beginning to think of Christmas Eve as a time to spend with someone you deeply cared about. Who meant something more than a one-night stand or a roll in the hay.

The doorbell rang again. Whoever it was, wasn’t going away.

He rose from the couch and set the glass of wine down on the table next to the door. Out of habit he picked up the sprig of mistletoe and held it over his head as he opened the door.

“Merry Christmas.” Amanda smiled and looked at the mistletoe he held. “Oh…” She leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek.

Lee felt his cheek become warm were her lips had touched. “Merry Christmas.” He kissed her cheek in return, his lips lingering for a moment on her cool skin.

When he pulled back they looked at each other for a few moments. Then Amanda blinked and said, “I hope I haven’t interrupted anything. I was in the neighborhood delivering some presents and saw your lights on. I thought I’d bring you yours, too.”

“No, you’re not interrupting anything. I’m just watching the football game I taped the other night.”

She handed him a large colorful tin. “It’s homemade cookies.”

“Thank you.” I umm…” He hadn’t bought Amanda a gift; he didn’t want to give her one of the packages he had on hand. A scarf was generic and ordinary. That didn’t seem personal enough for her. That wasn’t Amanda King. “I’m ashamed to say I don’t have a gift for you.”

“That’s okay, Christmas isn’t about receiving. It’s about giving.”

He didn’t know what to say. “Do you want to come in?”

“No, thank you. I’ll let you get back to your game. Mother and the boys are waiting for me at home. Merry Christmas, Lee.” She smiled brightly, turned and walked down the hall to the elevator.

Lee watched her retreating figure.

He thought mistletoe and wine were all that he needed for this holiday.

He’d been wrong.

He needed one other thing.

A friend.

Amanda.

The End