- Text Size +
February 13, 1988

Solitude

I’m pacing the laundry room in SOLITUDE. I wanted this time alone to reflect.

I thought when Amanda and I came clean to her family they’d hate me forever.

They didn’t.

I deserved their scorn. I lied to them.

Then they came to me separately. Each told me how much my entering their lives had changed Amanda and them even though they hadn’t known the truth.

When Dotty kissed me on the cheek and called me son, I thought my heart would burst.

I will make them proud of me and I vow never to lie to my family again.

Hero

I’m walking down the white covered aisle guided by Phillip on my right and Jamie on my left towards the gazebo that has been transformed into a beautiful bridal archway.

They’re giving me away to the man who’s been a part of their lives for the last four years. Times were rough after coming clean. Then the air cleared.

JP Tagsworth, who married us the first time, stood next to Lee.

My partner.

My HERO.

My lover.

My best friend.

My husband.

The whole world knows I’m Mrs. Lee Stetson.

I thought this day would never come.

No more secrets.

Tears

I can’t believe I’m crying. TEARS of joy flow down my cheek.

My daughter is marrying the man of her dreams for the second time.

After coming clean about their work and marriage they told me they wanted a public wedding. Of course, at first I was madder than a hornet, then I had time to think as to why they’d been less than truthful. I’d suspected something for ages.

I forgave.

I’m watching the man who’d come into my life years before I’d known him, vow to my daughter to love and cherish her until death they do part.

Deep in thought

Francine sat in the front row DEEP IN THOUGHT watching her two best friends marry. If anyone had told her four years ago that she and a housewife from Arlington would be friends, she would’ve told them they were crazy. They had nothing in common. She was a trained agent. A professional.

She took the hand of the man on her right and smiled at him. If Lee and Amanda found happiness, maybe they could too and it’ll be them exchanging vows.

Amanda showed her how to believe in the fairy tale and that dreams can come true.

Last hope

Teaming Amanda with Lee was the best thing Billy had ever done. Lee fought him tooth and nail for a long time. Over time he watched as their relationship progressed.

Amanda had been his LAST HOPE in saving Scarecrow from himself.

First casual acceptance in working with her, he’d gripe but he’d comply. Then he called her his partner. As time wore on, I noticed they spent more and more time together away from work. I could see the love in their eyes.

Now I have the pleasure of being Lee’s best man.

A job well done on my part.

Traps

He stood in the distance hiding behind a tree. He didn’t want anyone to see him. He hadn’t been invited and knew his presence would not be welcome.

After all the TRAPS he’d put in their path, he was amazed they’d managed to make their relationship work.

He never imagined the housewife from Arlington would turn out to be one of his best agents. Her unorthodox methods had proven to be an Agency asset. No way would he ever admit that to anyone, he had a reputation to protect.

The ceremony concluded.

He retreated trailing puffs of smoke behind him.

Under the Rain

Lee and Amanda walked down the path smiling UNDER THE RAIN of falling rose petals. As they passed, I tossed more to float over their heads.

I hope they like my wedding present, a new portrait. I noticed earlier they’d hung the picture I made of them in Salzburg on the living room wall.

Even back then I knew they were meant to be together. I knew it would take him time to admit his true feelings. He’d been through a lot emotionally and wasn’t ready to commit to one woman.

Thankfully, Amanda had the patience of a saint.

Break Away

I’m glad mom is happy. I know my brother and I were pains in the butt after she and Lee told us the truth.

What did they expect?

They’d lied to us.

After sitting down and talking to us individually and together, we came to understand why they did what they did.

We were honored she chose us together to give her away.

I just want to BREAK AWAY and run to the tables filled with food. We’re having the reception in our back yard, no waiting to eat. I plan on being first in line. My stomach is growling.

Multitasking

As the reception wound down, Lee and Amanda went around to everyone talking and thanking them for sharing in their day.

When they got to me, I told Lee he needed to become an expert at MULTITASKING. He looked at me in question. I told him that he needed to be able to do two or three things at once if and when they decided to add to the Stetson family.

His face blanched. I patted him on the back and told him don’t worry, it’d all come to him naturally.

Amanda touched him on the arm. You’ll be fine.

Obsession

My greatest hope is Lee and Amanda will decide to have a child. I want to be a grandmother again. I love my grandsons but I’d love to have a granddaughter to dress up in frilly clothes. Of course they could have a boy.

Okay, I admit it’s an OBSESSION of mine. I’ve hinted around trying to find out if a baby is in their future. They just ignore me and go about whatever they were doing.

I’m going to have to come right out and ask them.

I probably should wait until after they get back from their honeymoon.

67%

Lee sat on the bed in the same room of the Crystal Springs Inn they’d honeymooned in last year. This time they didn’t have to wait for a maid to finish her duties.

Amanda was in the bathroom getting ready. She wanted to surprise him.

To kill time he began to read the newspaper. The weather forecast caught his eye. There was Don’s, no Dan’s, no Doug’s, whatever his name, photo and byline stating that there was a 67% chance of rain for today.

Boy had he gotten it wrong. Not a cloud in the sky for their second wedding.