- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Notes: These drabbles were written in response to a challenge issued by Lushy. One writer, 100 themes. The stories can be one shot for each theme or carry
the story through all 100 topics. The words for the challenge have been capitalized.

Thanks: To Jennifer, Sue and Lynda for helping put words to episodes and brainstorming ideas. Also to Jennifer for betaing to make sure I didn’t make any huge errors.
The SMK 100

Season One

Introduction – The First Time - 1/1

His INTRODUCTION had been unorthodox to say the least. In fact, he didn’t introduce himself at all.

“Just walk with me,” he said. He’s in trouble. He handed me a package and asked me to get on the train and give it to the man in the red hat.

I looked into his eyes. He looked so lost. I couldn’t say no.

Then several men tackled him, he really was in trouble.

I tried to do what he told me. But there were twenty-five men with red hats on the train.

I’ll just keep this package for the time being.

Blood – There Goes the Neighborhood – 1/2

Amanda placed the vase of flowers on the coffee table.

She began to straighten the pillows on the couch. She noticed one of the cushions looked a little worse for wear. Maybe the other side would be nicer. She picked it up and turned it over.

She noticed a black mark on it. “Cigarette burn?”

“No.” Lee shook his head. “Bullet hole.”

He explained the furniture had been used before.

The doorbell rang. She handed Lee the cushion and told him to turn the bullet hole towards the sofa and went to answer the door.

At least it wasn’t BLOOD.

Gray - If Thoughts Could Kill – 1/3

He couldn’t figure it out; he took the sedative like a good patient. But he woke up feeling more wasted than before he’d slept.

It really wasn’t the lack of sleep that concerned him. It was the dreams.

No dream.

It always started the same. He’d have this sinking feeling, then GRAY walls would flash by. Squeaks and thumps pounded in his ears. He’d feel hot and steamy. Like the jungle.

All he had to do was play the good agent for a little while longer, then he could go home and get a decent rest.

God he hated hospitals.

No Time – The Magic Bus – 1/4

She had NO TIME to think. She did whatever it took to get them out of the situation.

Lee had been shot. The bad guys were all around them. She drove like a maniac hoping to outrun them.

Then the ones who were supposed to come to their rescue were shooting at them.

After what seemed like ages, they were no longer in danger of blowing themselves or anything else up.

Her work was not bad, then his legs were still just okay.

Next time anyone wanted to park a vehicle in her driveway she would tell them absolutely not.

Trouble Lurking – The ACM Kid – 1/5

Lee sat in his car watching the giant panda sitting on the porch.

He knew Alexi would be TROUBLE LURKING the moment he met him, hell the kid tried to escape the first chance he’d gotten.

Over time he found Alexi and he weren’t that different. Maybe that’s why they’d clashed. They were two peas in a pod. Encasing themselves in hard shells that couldn’t be broken.

A moment later the door opened and Amanda came outside. She hugged the bear. As he drove off, he saw her look up and felt a ripple in the hard shell around him.

STANDING STILL – Always Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth – 1/6

Lee Stetson is insufferable.

He wants to hold a conversation with me, but I can’t look at him when we talk. Can’t turn my head, can’t do anything. I’m just STANDING STILL acting like I’m doing nothing while he talks to me from wherever. I must’ve looked like a total fool. And he does the same thing to me later while I ate Chili. Mine is better by the way. I’m still astounded that Penny could think that he and I were having a thing.

No way.

I could never be attracted to a playboy like him.

Never.

Could I?

Breathe Again – Service Above and Beyond – 1/7

He carried me. Amanda closed the door and leaned against it.

It was like she’d been in a fairy tale. She’d really felt like Cinderella, even though Lee had joked about it when she’d returned from her date with Delano. A beautiful home. Gorgeous clothes. Expensive jewelry. A life of luxury.

Then the dream had turned into a nightmare. She’d been drugged. She closed her eyes.

Lee had come to her rescue, her knight in shining armor. She held her breath. He carried her. That almost sounded romantic. Nah not him.

You can BREATHE AGAIN. The dishes and fractions are waiting.

Misfortune – Saved by the Bells – 1/8

The day of my MISFORTUNE began when Lee called me to take care of a sick friend. A fish named Melvin. I can’t believe that man.

Next thing I knew, I’d been kidnapped and mistaken for the Scarecrow. I tried to tell them I wasn’t. They didn’t believe me.

They were going to kill me. I’d never been so scared.

Thankfully, Lee rescued me. Afterwards I cried as he comforted and hugged me.

Then I found out he’d been accused of treason.

I had to help him clear his name. He did it for me. Me! To save my life!

Kick in the Head – Sudden Death – 1/9

I searched Crandell’s office and found a suspicious football play. I took a photograph of it and handed Amanda the film to take back to the Agency.

I heard the coach screaming my name. I needed a diversion.

I did the first thing that came to me. I grabbed her and my lips met hers.

What in the world had I been thinking?

I kissed her.

Amanda King!

Did I get a KICK IN THE HEAD during practice?

I’m stunned. I enjoyed it, even though I pretended I didn’t.

But I won’t let it happen again. She’s not my type.

DRINK - The Long Christmas Eve – 1/10

I’m spending Christmas in a nest of spies and intrigue and with Amanda King.

I have to admit it is better than how I usually spend the holiday.

Normally, I spend it sitting on my living room couch, with a large bowl of guacamole dip, a perfectly chilled bottle of Dom Perignon '73, and a good football game.

Amanda arranged a miracle. A truce in the spirit of the season.

Now I’m sitting here with a gunshot wound, eating herring, beans and singing Christmas carols. The meal tastes better when I’m offered a DRINK of vodka. I’d rather have champagne.

Dark – Remembrance of Things Past – 1/11

I never thought this would happen. I knew it could and because it has I’m in a very DARK place.

Do I have what it takes to continue on this path?

Do I want to?

He told me not to get involved, that the hardest part about this line of work was separating your feelings.

No wonder he seemed so emotionless to me at times. It was the only way to survive in this crazy line of work.

The veil of darkness around me is gone. Lifted when I saw Lee alive and well and standing in my living room.

Abandoned – Lost and Found – 1/12

For years afterwards I always thought what if.

What if she’d chosen me?

Had she loved me?

Our relationship may have started due to an assignment but had quickly escalated into romance. At least I’d thought it had.

Now I see she was only using me.

She was the one I let into my heart after Dorothy’s death. Twice burned in love. I won’t make that mistake again.

It’s over.

Over.

Really over.

I don’t have that ABANDONED feeling lurking in a corner of my heart anymore. Maybe one day I’ll let a woman touch my heart that deeply again.

Memory – I Am Not Now, Nor Have I Ever Been A Spy – 1/13

He said he was intelligence operative.

I said he was a spy.

He didn’t care for that word. Then to top it off he said I was a spy too! But a trainee spy.

Was that supposed to make me feel better?

A car accident caused my partial amnesia. Some things and people I remembered. This man standing in front of me wasn’t one of them.

He asked me to trust him. When he said those words a MEMORY of him saying the exact same thing to me flashed in my mind.

I’d trusted him then. I’ll trust him now.

Eyes – Dead Ringer – 1/14

Amanda brushed her hair contemplating her response to Magda’s question about Lee being attractive.

She’d replied with a ramble about the man she worked with. He has nice hair. He’s tall. Has a straight nose and beautiful EYES. Pretty eyes.

Speaking of eyes she looked closer into the mirror. Were hers a little red?

Achoo!

She grabbed a tissue. Oh dear, mother was right and she’d caught a cold.

Even though she and Lee sniffled and sneezed throughout the evening, she had a great time. The knowledge that Magda had the same cold also, made it an evening to remember.

Insanity – The Mole – 1/15

A Bomber father!

He shivered at the memory of Amanda handing him the baseball cap. Like he would put it on.

Then she called him stuffy, far from it. His idea of fun wasn’t a day at the park watching a bunch of kids play baseball. Fun was spending a week skiing in the Swiss Alps, gambling in Monte Carlo, snorkeling in the Caribbean, lying on the beach next to a sexy woman.

It was INSANITY to think that he would ever be a Bomber father. He was not and he did not ever intend to be one.

Never.

Ever.

Illusion – Savior – 1/16

I had to make Amanda believe I’d quit the Agency.

She tried her best to convince me I’d made the worst mistake in the world. That I had tons of different options that didn’t involve doing anything illegal. I couldn’t tell her it was an ILLUSION. My assignment.

Then they had to drag her into the picture and have her hauling a live bomb around.

Once again she came up with an unorthodox way to save the day.

A pin.

The things the average housewife carries around in her purse are amazing.

I think the Bombers are growing on me.

Pain – The Artful Dodger – 1/17

I can’t believe Amanda accepted a concubine ring with a listening device hidden inside. Well she didn’t know about that part.

Amanda is not the type to be a kept woman and that’s what that ring symbolized, no matter how many times she referred to it as a friendship ring.

The PAIN was worth it. I won’t let her be treated that way by insensitive jerks that want to use her.

I’ll have to keep a closer eye on her. She’s too nice for her own good sometimes.

Damn my jaw hurts. At least I still have all my teeth.

Drive – Filming Raul – 1/18

He jumped up to chase the kidnappers; immediately I saw his keys that he left behind on the table.

Did he think he could catch them on foot?

How could I stay put?

I hurried to his car and started it. I tried to shift the gears. They made an awful grinding sound. In a jerking motion the car moved forward.

When I stopped to pick up Lee, I ground the gears so badly he yelled at me about stripping them.

Then the engine died.

I don’t know how to DRIVE a stick shift. I think I need to learn.

Magic – Fearless Dotty – 1/19

I’d given up ever finding Captain Galaxy for Phillip. The stores were sold out.

All Lee had to do was wave his MAGIC wand and one miraculously appeared. Well according to him he contacted the manufacturer in Taiwan. Had it sent to the naval air station in Guam, then an air force transport brought it here, where he picked it up and brought it to me, all in time for the party.

Plus, he complimented me telling me that using the hose and sprinkler were sparks of genius. Okay he didn’t say those exact words, but the meaning was there.

Drowning – Weekend – 1/20

I’m DROWNING in a sea of romance. All because Mrs. Craddock thinks Amanda and I are newlyweds.

Marriage is not in my future. No way.

Now I have to play the lovey dovey role, a husband who is madly in love with his wife whenever we see the older couple. It seems like we’re always running into them. Each time we do Mrs. Craddock gets a wistful smile on her face and says how romantic it is to be young and in love.

I don’t have time for this. I need to figure out who is going to be kidnapped.

I Can’t – Waiting for Godorsky 1/21

I did it again. I CAN’T remember the password of the day. I’m always forgetting. Why do they have to change it every day? Why not every week?

At least I can be proud of my attention to detail in transcribing phone conversations. If I hadn’t mentioned the slurper, clicking noise and other things in the background that most would overlook, Princess Valosky would’ve been assassinated.

At the medal ceremony Godorsky took the Princess’ hand and kissed it. I could tell they were in love. I hope one day a man will look at me with love in his eyes.