- Text Size +
Season 3

Puzzle – A Lovely Little Affair – 3/1

I swear Lee Stetson is a PUZZLE. I can never figure him out. The pieces don’t fit.

He acts jealous of any man who pays attention to me. He has no right to act that way, we’re not a couple, just partners. Men!

I have a date with Lee tonight and not as a cover. I’m not window dressing this time though he did ask me in an unorthodox way. It was a lesson in techniques. Why am I nervous? I see it as just two friends enjoying an evening at the opera.

It couldn’t be anything else, could it?

Flowers – We’re Off to See the Wizard – 3/2

I couldn’t stand roses, the sight of those FLOWERS held too much pain for me. Their smell made me sick. A harsh reminder of a love lost. All I could see were rose petals floating on the air landing in blood.

Finding the traitor in the Oz network helped put the ghost from my past at peace. I can move forward.

Roses seem like that only way of thanking Amanda for her help and deep faith in me. I stopped on my way to work and bought her small bouquet.

Dorothy was my first love, but she isn’t my last.

Dreams – Over the Limit –3/3

My heart leapt into my throat when I saw the destruction the bomb had done and couldn’t find Amanda. I saw her standing on the hill and relief flooded my body. She was safe. Alive. I hugged her tightly to me; I didn’t want to let her go.

The other night I accidentally called Leslie by Amanda’s name. In fact, I never realized how much Leslie looked like Amanda until I saw them together in the same room.

It never dawned on me the brunette in my DREAMS could be Amanda.

Was I substituting Leslie in my life for Amanda?

Creation – Tail of the Dancing Weasel – 3/4

The best thing Harry Thornton ever did, well besides hire me, was the CREATION of the Agency.

I’ve kept in contact with him over the years. He’s been a mentor to me. Almost like a father. I’ve told him things I’ve never told anyone else. Like how much I trust Amanda and would follow her blind through a blizzard at midnight.

When he’d been accused of being a double agent, I had to do everything in my power to clear his name. With Amanda’s help we found the letter that vindicated him. What’s even more important he likes her too.

Mischief Managed – Welcome to America, Mr. Brand – 3/5

If this last case had a code name it would be MISCHIEF MANAGED.

James Brand, I should say James Pott wanted to be James Bond. He told Amanda he had all types of gadgets like Bond used in the movies. None of them worked.

He’s the little accountant who wanted to be a master spy.

To my utter amazement the Cobra Death Grip actually worked. Then I found out he made the whole thing up. It sure knocked the hell out of Dr. Pain. I think it’ll be a very long time before I have to requalify in hand-to-hand combat.

Waiting – Sour Grapes – 3/6

I stood patiently WAITING for Lee to give me whatever Penny had asked him to deliver personally.

He looked intently at my lips and stepped closer to me. His arm wrapped around my waist as he drew me close to his body. His lips came closer to mine.

He’s going to kiss me. Our first ‘real’ kiss!

Then mother opened the door and interrupted us. Ever the quick thinking agent, Lee pulled the W. C. Fields mask he’d stolen from Buck over his face.

The mood is broken. Maybe Lee will stick around the party and we’ll get another chance.

Through the Fire – Utopia Now – 3/7

It seemed like we’d been running THROUGH THE FIRE for hours to escape Sacker’s men. We’re lost in the swampy woods, handcuffed and chained together.

It’s dark.

I’m cold.

I’m scared.

Snuggling for warmth next to a small fire Lee wrapped his arms around me. Comforting me, assuring me we would be safe.

We talked about our past.

Our eyes met. Our lips almost touched. The sound of men searching forced us to jump apart and hide.

Why did I chicken out?

The words were on the tip of my tongue.

I was going to tell him I loved him.

In the Storm – Reach for the Sky – 3/8

The new head of the Agency, Dr. Smyth and I are going to butt heads. He’s a by the book type. A book he wrote. He has a cold heart. How the hell he rose so high is beyond me.

I didn’t have to be ordered to find Billy. He has not gone rogue. I would’ve done it anyway. Billy is my friend. I’d do anything for him.

I’m grateful Smyth didn’t spout any nursery rhymes. I hate when he does that.

Working at the Agency with him as head will feel like being IN THE STORM of the century.

Words – J. Edgar’s Ghost – 3/9

I keep thinking back to the WORDS Amanda spoke in Agnes’ apartment.

‘When you’re talking about love, you have to be patient.’

Was she talking about us?

The tide is turning in our relationship. At first I felt guilty getting her involved in the world of espionage. Now it seems like I want to get to know her outside that enviornment. What kind of food does she like? Movies? I want to know anything and everything about her.

Is what I’m feeling for Amanda love?

I think it might be. I want to explore this new side to our relationship.

Mother Nature – Flight to Freedom – 3/10

As I sailed back to the harbor the setting sunlight glistened off the water, the sky brilliant colors. MOTHER NATURE at her finest.

I’ve learned something interesting about Lee during this assignment. He has to have a light on to go to sleep. I understand why he does; spending a week in wet, dark catacombs and with rats running all around would make anyone afraid of the dark.

I guess everyone has quirky habits. Even me. I like to have the window cracked open about an inch or so to let in fresh air.

Maybe I’ll buy him a nightlight.

Two Roads – The Wrong Way Home – 3/11

I’m sitting in the gazebo reflecting over the last few days. There are TWO ROADS my life could travel.

One road would lead me back to my past.

The other road would lead me to a future with a man who has been there for me the past three years, but at times can be so unpredictable. Do I want to take a chance on the unknown?

I love the life I’ve led since Lee handed me the package that morning at the train station.

I know which road I want to go down. The same road Lee Stetson travels.

Fairy Tale – Fast Food for Thought – 3/12

I truly feel sorry for Francine she doesn’t believe in the FAIRY TALE.

The one about the damsels in distress being rescued by the knight in shining armor who come charging in on a white steed to save the day.

If she’d only believed, she would’ve known Lee would come to our rescue.

I did find out she has a weakness for chocolate. I’m going to buy her a box of chocolates because we bonded, even if she won’t admit it while we were stuck in that freezer. You know the saying once on the lips, forever on the hips.

Advertisement – One Bear Dances, One Bear Doesn’t – 3/13

Dotty West is amazing. She was able to give Amanda clues to her whereabouts, warehouses and the Marshmallow Man. Amanda figured out she was referring to the area near a billboard ADVERTISEMENT for a factory that produces marshmallows she’d toured last year.

Dotty is a special woman with a special daughter.

I’m going to enjoy getting to know her better in the future. From the stories Amanda has told me in the past, the woman has a zest for living.

I wonder what she’ll think of me as a suitor for her daughter. Will she like me?

Time will tell.

Heal – Playing for Keeps – 3/14

I don’t like working without Amanda. It was different, even though I’ve worked with Francine in the past. You get used to their habits, rhythms and personality. I found myself lost without Amanda around.

I kept in constant contact with her while I was away. I kept mentally sending her thoughts to HEAL.

To get over this cold that had her staying at home and not working with me.

I missed her, a lot.

Now that this case is over, I want to get back home as soon as I can. She sounds better and I want to make sure.

Triangle – The Pharoh’s Engineer – 3/15

Everyone who lives at Birchwood is a retired government employee.

I was amazed to find out many of them were involved in the construction of the Agency. It was built like a pyramid, a TRIANGLE. The top is the Georgtown Foyer with each floor underneath getting bigger and bigger.

Watching Lee interact with the Mendlesen sisters, Rupert and other residents showed me a new side of him. A tender and compassionate one.

Their zest for life is infectious and rubs off on anyone who has the privilege of spending time with them.

I feel honored to be called their niece.

Hold My Hand – The Triumvirate – 3/16

I didn’t want to say HOLD MY HAND, so I grasped for his as we entered the elevator. I needed his touch. It calms me.

This job is harder than I thought. I know I’m making the world a better place for my sons.

A huge part of this job I don’t like is the lies.

I hate the lying most. I’m not sure how much longer mother is going to believe whatever I tell her. She has to be suspicious.

A part I do like, that’s easy. Lee. Working with him, seeing him every day that’s the biggest plus.

Out Cold – The Eyes Have It – 3/17

I didn’t think Amanda could do it. If I’d been able to see her performance I probably would’ve been knocked OUT COLD.

I could hear the terror in her voice when she yelled no. All I had to do was just lie there and play dead under a sheet. The sound of her voice carried into the room. I heard the grief in her voice as she sobbed. A hell of an actress.

Later that night I added her name to the top of the Barnstorm List. She’s the one who has helped me the most and she deserves top billing.

Precious Treasure – Wrong Number – 3/18

Amanda’s amazing deductive skills helped us see that the Russians were trying to make us think William Towne was an enemy agent. He would’ve been traded in a spy swap to rescue Francine.

After a dinner with Francine, Towne and his wife, I helped Amanda cleaned up the empty boxes of Chinese food.

Amanda handed me a fortune cookie and I placed it in my jacket pocket forgetting it.

Later that evening as I hung up my jacket, I remembered the cookie.

I took it out and read it.

‘A PRECIOUS TREASURE is close at hand.’

She lives in Arlington.

Playing the Melody – The Boy Who Could be King – 3/19

The sound of jazz filled the room. We sat in the audience holding hands listening to Billy Bluenote PLAYING THE MELODY on his sax. I never knew Mr. Melrose could play an instrument. He’s really very good.

King Eddie and Sandra still have that spark of love between them. I hope they get back together. You can tell they still care for each other.

I’ve found that spark in my life. I never thought I’d find love again. I didn’t though. It found me at the train station.

I have a feeling everyone is going to live happily ever after.

Light – Dead Men Leave No Trails – 3/20

After the chandelier exploded killing Sallee, we came back to my house for a normal dinner.

We were about to kiss when mother and the boys came home. Lee rushed out the back door. I followed him outside. He grabbed my elbow and pulled me to him, he lightly kissed my lips, smiled then left.

Someday it’ll be more than a quick peck on the lips.

I just have to be patient.

There is a LIGHT at the end of the tunnel. Our relationship will take the next step. I know it. I can feel it in my heart.

Soon.

Teamwork – Three Little Spies – 3/21

It took working with the Russians and the Chinese to crack our latest case. If that’s not TEAMWORK, I don’t know what is.

As we flew back home, you could feel the romance in the air. Couples paired off. You could see the love they held for each other in the way they acted when they weren’t in spy mode.

What did Amanda and I look like to them? Could they see we had more than a working relationship? That our feelings ran deeper than just being partners?

Why in the world did I say she had a cute nose?

Stars – All the World’s a Stage – 3/22

After countless times of being interrupted for one reason or another I’ve kissed Amanda. Not a cover kiss, not an almost kiss or a light peck on the lips or cheek. A romantic kiss.

I never thought it would be possible. That I could feel this way about a woman. The old Scarecrow is gone, the one who had no feelings, kept his heart locked up.

Now I’m Lee Stetson, a man who can give his heart to a woman.

As I drove home, I looked up into the STARS and thanked them for showing me the way to love.