- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.
Guilty Pleasure

The staff break room emptied except for the one lone woman sitting at a table in the corner. A glance up at the clock on the wall told her she still had fifteen minutes left for her lunch. Being left alone was one of the reasons she preferred to take a late lunch. She faced the entryway and kept a close eye on the door to make sure she would be uninterrupted.

Now that she was alone she could indulge in her secret vice. From her tote bag she pulled out the movie magazine and began to leaf through the pages. She loved reading about the actors and actresses in Hollywood. Their lives. Their loves. Their shenanigans.

Footsteps sounded and she quickly pushed the magazine into her bag hiding her guilty pleasure. She took a sip of her tea as she watched Fred Fielder come into the room to get one of the stale donuts left over from the morning. He mumbled hi as he munched one. White powder covered his lips.

Another glance at the clock showed her she still had plenty of time to gratify her curiosity about the lives of the rich and famous. She took out her magazine and it fell open to a full page photograph of the actor, Bruce Boxleitner.

"You gorgeous thing, you!" Prudence Marston sighed. You know he kinda reminded her of the Scarecrow in a lot of ways. His eyes. His smile. Both men were very fine specimens of the male species.

"Hi, Mrs. Marston," Lee said as he went to the vending machine and pushed change into the slot. "Reading anything interesting?"

Prudence felt her face redden. She'd been so engrossed in looking at the photograph she hadn't noticed when Scarecrow entered. Quickly, she stashed her magazine and picked up her tote bag.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Stetson," she said as dumped her trash in the bin and walked out. She made her way back up to her post in the Georgetown foyer. That was it; she'd stop bringing the magazines with her to work. She'd never been so embarrassed in her life. To be caught ogling a photograph. And one that reminded her of Scarecrow. Thankfully, he didn't see what she'd been looking at.

From now on she'd leave the magazines at home to enjoy in privacy. Maybe she'd borrow a romance book from her sister. Patience had been trying for ages to get her to read one. At least they'd be harmless.

The End