- Text Size +
CHAPTER NINE—TAG

The bullpen was bustling as usual. All the activity and noise made
it difficult for Lee to try to explain exactly to Amanda what she
needed to do to help him finish with the dreaded Flanders' file,
which had been put off yet again due to last night's gala. He was
grateful that she had agreed to help him tackle it once and for all.
He smiled as he thought about soon being able to tell Billy he was
finished with the paperwork and that the case could finally be
closed. It really had been a thorn in his side.

Suddenly, Billy opened his office door and yelled across the
bullpen, "Lee, Amanda…I need to see you in my office," Lee and Amanda
exchanged a glance wondering if they had done something wrong and
were about to be in trouble. At times, it felt like being called
into the principal's office at school. The pair crossed the busy
bullpen and entered his office, taking their usual seats in front of
his desk.

"Lee, and especially Amanda, I just wanted to thank you both for your
fine work at the gala," Billy said, congratulating them. "And
Amanda, I heard that you single-handedly took down one of the
Russians. Good work!"

"Well, I really didn't do much, sir. As I mentioned to Lee and
Francine, I guess my self-defense classes are starting to pay off!"
Amanda told him.

"Don't downplay it, Amanda. It really was fine work, and I thank
you!" Billy said once again. "Don't you agree, Lee?" Billy asked
with a huge smile, knowing that he was putting Lee on the spot and
enjoying every second of it as Lee contemplated an answer.

After several seconds, Lee looked over at Amanda and finally
answered, "Yes, Billy, I agree it was good work. Amanda really
thought on her feet. Poor Boris will never be the same!" Lee
exclaimed laughing heartily at the memory of Boris lying on the floor
writhing in pain.

THE END