- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Story Background: This SMK Fanfic tells the whole story behind
my "Get that thing away from me!" Challenge Response from January
2007.

Timeline: Just Prior to Season 3

Disclaimer: Characters mentioned in this fanfic from the TV show
Scarecrow and Mrs. King do not belong to me, but to Shoot the Moon
and Warner Brothers et als. I am just borrowing them for some fun.
I do not intend to profit in anyway from this story.
CHAPTER ONE

It was close to 4 p.m. as Lee hurried through the bullpen and into
Billy's office. "Francine called and said you wanted to see me
ASAP. What did you need, Billy?" Lee asked hopefully. "I was
finally working on the Flanders' file like you asked me to, you
know," Lee mentioned. He was hoping that whatever Billy needed was
going to "save" him from the paperwork yet to be done on the much
dreaded Flanders' file, which he had been putting off for weeks.
Perhaps he could get Amanda to work on it the next time she was in
the office, IF he could get out of doing it today.

"Well, you got your wish; the Flanders' file is going to have to
wait. I just got a call from one of our contacts at the Russian
Embassy. He said something big is going to go down tonight over at
the museum gala," Billy informed him.

"What exactly did the contact say?" Lee asked, getting excited about
the prospect of thwarting whatever the Russians might have in mind
for the gala.

"Well, not much really. Actually, that's all he said. So, we don't
have a lot to go on, but his information has always been accurate in
the past," Billy reminded Lee.

"So, what's my cover?" Lee questioned.

"Well, Francine is already working security for the event. You will
go as one of the invited guests. I have already added your cover
name, `Lee Stimpson', to the guest list. Oh, and take Amanda with
you. I have added her to the list as `Amanda Kane'," Billy stated
firmly, as he saw Lee preparing to balk at the idea.

"Bil-ly," Lee drew out his name in frustration, "I think I can handle
this one by myself. Besides, we don't know what the Russians have
planned. It could get very dangerous," Lee said, visibly annoyed by
the suggestion that he NEEDED to take someone (Amanda) with him to
help HIM do his job.

"Lee, I said take Amanda with you. She might pick up on something
you'd miss. She does have an uncanny knack for that!" Billy
chuckled. He made a mock attempt to hide his amusement, which Lee
saw and it only served to irritate him further. "See Francine before
you leave to find out the security details for tonight," Billy
instructed. Lee left Billy's office without saying another word,
knowing he was not going to be able to talk Billy out of forcing him
to take Amanda with him.

On his way out of the bullpen, he stopped by Francine's desk to find
out about the security arrangements for the gala. She was able to
fill him in on all the details including the guest list, the schedule
of events and the names of the other agents who would be providing
security. Apparently, the Vice President and his wife were on the
guest list, which was the prime reason for concern about what their
contact had told Billy.

"Ok, thanks, Francine, that should do it! I'll see you over there
tonight. Billy's asked me to pose as a guest to help keep an eye on
things," Lee told her as Francine nodded, indicating that she already
knew what Billy had asked Lee to do.

"Where will you be the rest of this afternoon, in case something
comes up with the gala?" Francine asked.

"Well, I have some paperwork to clear off my desk. Then I'll head
home to get dressed for tonight. And then ~cough~ ~cough~ over to
pick up ~cough~ ~cough~ Amanda," Lee said as he mumbled his way
through the last part of his schedule.

"Did you say you are picking up Amanda??" Francine asked rolling her
eyes.

"Yeah, Billy wants me to bring her along tonight. He said she might
pick up on something I'd miss," Lee told her in an irritated
tone. "Well, I'd better get going. I've got a lot to do...," he
said as he made his way out the bullpen doors before Francine could
comment further.