- Text Size +
CHAPTER SIX

Lee and Francine managed to get the emergency lighting up and running
so they could survey the damage and check for victims of the small
blast. They found a few people with only minor cuts and scrapes.
The Vice President and his wife were uninjured and were hustled away
by Secret Service agents as soon as the blast occurred. Most of the
guests had been accounted for except those few who had fled the
building and were probably already safe at home by now. Lee was
concerned about Amanda, though, who was at this point nowhere to be
found.

"Damn it, Francine! I thought you said the room had been swept for
bombs," Lee exclaimed.

"It was swept—three times, Lee. I just don't know how they could've
slipped it in," she said.

Lee voiced his concerns about Amanda to Francine, "Amanda's missing,
too. I haven't been able to locate her. Can you check with your
security team ASAP to see if anyone saw her after the blast? Then,
let's start searching the building. "

"I'll get them right on it," Francine said as she was rushing away to
talk to her team about looking for Amanda. "I am sure she is around
here somewhere, though, Lee," Francine called over her shoulder.