- Text Size +
CHAPTER FIVE

A small blast went off on the other end of the room, not really a
bomb, but more of a device designed for distraction rather than
harm. People began screaming and trying to run away, and then the
room went black as the power went off. Lee and Amanda were separated
from each other by people who were desperate to escape the chaos that
had ensued.

Suddenly, Amanda felt someone grab her from behind. At first, she
thought it was Lee until she heard a thick Russian accent say, "Time
for you to come with us, oh lovely wife of the Vice President."
Then, he pressed what felt to Amanda like a gun into her
ribs. "Don't try to scream or I will shoot you right here," the
Russian informed her matter-of-factly.

Amanda had no choice but to obey, and she had no idea how to let Lee
or Francine know what was happening to her. Gosh, she thought, it is
so dark in here; I don't even know where Lee and Francine are at this
point. Wait a minute, Amanda's mind raced, what did he call me—the
Vice President's wife? Oh my gosh, he thinks I am the Vice
President's wife, Amanda realized as she remembered seeing the Vice
President dancing with his wife very close to where she and Lee had
been dancing.

"Look, mister, I am NOT the Vice President's wife. You must have
made a mistake," Amanda informed him.

"Well, my dear, it will be quite unfortunate for you if it turns out
that you are not his wife. I'll be forced to kill you then and
there. So, I would advise you to keep your mouth shut. Besides, I
know you're lying. We don't make mistakes like that," the Russian
spat out as he dragged her out of the room and down the darkened
hallway towards museum's storage area.