- Text Size +
CHAPTER FOUR

Lee pulled the Corvette up in front of the museum and handed the keys
to the valet. He hurried around to the passenger side to assist
Amanda in exiting the car. "Now, remember Amanda, keep your eyes
peeled for anything or anyone that looks out of place. And let me
know immediately if you do see anything," Lee quietly told her as he
guided her up the steps of the museum.

Amanda nodded her head in agreement and allowed Lee to lead her into
the front doors of the museum. As they entered, Lee told the man in
charge of checking the guest list, "Lee Stimpson and Amanda Kane."
He nodded his OK to the doorman who then opened the door and allowed
them to enter the gala, which was just beginning.

Amanda immediately noticed Francine across the room dressed in what
appeared to be a very expensive designer gown and looking somewhat
frazzled in coordinating the security for the event. Amanda even
remembered to act like she didn't know her, which was a pleasant
surprise for Lee. He was beginning to see that Amanda was becoming
more comfortable in the role that she was playing at the Agency.

Lee walked over to the bar and grabbed a couple of drinks for them to
sip while they watched the other guests begin to file into the gala.
Amanda watched the doorway as people entered to see if she noticed
anyone who looked out of place. So far, though, everyone seemed to
fit right into the life of glamorous parties to which she was for the
most part unfamiliar.

The longer I `hang out' with Lee, the more accustomed I have become
to it, though, she thought. If someone had told me a few years back
that I would be attending a gala that the Vice President of the
United States was going to attend, I would never have believed it,
she thought, shaking her head, as Lee handed her a glass of white
wine.

"What were you thinking, Amanda?" Lee asked concerned that she might
have seen something he needed to know about.

"Oh, just that I can't believe I am at a gala that the Vice President
is going to attend!" Amanda gushed. "Sorry, I know, I was watching
the guests arriving, too," she said sheepishly off Lee's stern look.

For the first hour and a half, and even after the Vice President's
arrival, nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary to either Lee or
Amanda. Lee even asked Amanda to dance a few times while they waited
and watched. It was to maintain their cover as a couple attending
the gala, he had told her.

As he was dancing with her for the fourth time, he found that he was
actually enjoying it. She really is a good dancer, he thought, as
she let him lead her gracefully around the dance floor. As they were
dancing, he found he was also enjoying the smell of her perfume and
shampoo quite a bit. And then it happened…