- Text Size +
+++SMK+++

Amanda opened her compact and checked her make-up one last time. Everything had to be perfect. They were meeting Joe's parents for an early dinner in honor of Joe's birthday. His brothers couldn't make it, so it would just be the four of them, and she was a little nervous.

The Kings always treated her as a member of the family, but for some reason, Mrs. King always made her feel awkward and clumsy. Perhaps it was because Mrs. King seemed so competent.

Usually, when she joined Joe and his family for dinner, she sat quietly with Joe and only spoke in response to a direct question. When the entire family got together, there was enough commotion that no one seemed to notice she didn't say much.


She smoothed out her rouge and applied another coat of lipstick. Just as she was about to slip the mirror back into her purse, the warm baritone voice of her fiancé whispered in her ear, "You look beautiful, sweetheart."

Blushing at the compliment, she slid her compact into her purse and grasped his outstretched hand, allowing him to escort her into the Italian restaurant.

The interior felt cool, and she wished she'd brought her sweater. The thin material of her dress offered little warmth in the air-conditioned dining room. But if she became too uncomfortable, Joe would slip his jacket around her shoulders.

As they stepped further into the restaurant, the tantalizing aroma of tangy tomato sauce mixed with the pungent smell of roasted garlic greeted them. It smelled wonderful, and her mouth watered in anticipation of a fine meal.

Joe strode to the podium and gave the hostess his name. The girl walked toward the back of the restaurant and returned a few moments later. Her smile brightened, and she led them through the restaurant, weaving between vacant tables like dancers in a Conga line.


Amanda found it hard to believe Mr. and Mrs. King hadn't arrived yet. Joe had some car trouble, and they'd arrived a bit later than expected.

The hostess continued toward the back of the establishment. Amanda started to request a table closer to the main dinning room, but before she could get the words out, the hostess stopped and gestured to an open doorway. Using a gentle hand on her back, Joe nudged her forward, allowing her to precede him.

The room was dark, and she took a step back, colliding with the solid wall of Joe's chest. He snaked his arms around her waist, holding her in place. Just as she turned to question him, the lights flashed on.

A chorus of "SURPRISE!" echoed through the room. Her eyes dazzled by the sudden brightness, she had no idea what all the commotion was about, until she glanced around the room and noted the white crepe-paper wedding bells hanging from the ceiling and resting on each tabletop. Then it dawned on her. She wasn't here for Joe's birthday. That was simply an excuse to get her to the restaurant for her bridal shower.


Her mother and her friends had managed to pull a fast one on her. She'd assumed they'd give her a bridal shower, but not seventy-six days before the wedding. Joe must have been in on the secret. The next time they were alone, she was going to kill him for not telling her about it. He knew how much she hated surprises.


She managed to drag him into the room with her. He dutifully kissed both her mother and his, but as soon as he spotted his Great-aunt Veronica heading for them, he ducked behind Amanda.

"I'll pick you up after the party," he whispered into her ear. Then he gave her a quick peck and made a hasty exit.


She couldn't blame him for rushing out of there. Aunt Veronica liked to pinch cheeks, and she had a remarkably strong grip for an old woman. Amanda gritted her teeth, bent to kiss Aunt Veronica, and tried not to wince when the older woman squeezed her cheeks.



Amanda straightened and rubbed her face, trying to bring the feeling back in her cheeks, while her mother led her around the room, greeting guests.


It seemed like everyone she'd ever met had turned out for her party. Her maid of honor, Debbie Ann, and her bridesmaids--Cheryl, Rita, Monica, Charlie, Jan, and Stephy--crowded around her and guided her to her seat on the dais. They had decorated her chair with white tulle and balloons. As soon as she was seated, the wait staff began serving plates of delicious-smelling pasta, followed by Chicken Parmagine and a green salad.


Debbie's mother, Ana, had made a beautiful chocolate cake in the shape of an umbrella. A scrumptious butter-cream icing covered the cake, and tiny red roses outlined the umbrella's ribs, giving the design some definition.


After the guests finished their cake and coffee, the bus boys collected the empty plates, adding a tinkling harmony to the staccato sound of chairs scraping across the floor as friends and family shifted positions to get a better look at the myriad of gifts she had yet to open.


Opening the gifts was a major disappointment. She didn't get to open a single one. The girls had a system. First, Monica selected a gift, removed any bows or ribbons, and gave them to Rita, who had the task of making "bow bonnets" for the bridal party.


Cheryl and Jan unwrapped each box and passed the card and gift to Debbie, who read the card aloud before handing the present to Amanda.

Amanda opened the box and held up each gift, while the guests oohed and ahhed. After giving everyone enough time to admire the present, Charlie took possession of the box and re-taped the card to the side to remind Amanda who had given her that item. Finally, Stephy placed the properly marked box back on the table.


She'd just handed Charlie the third toaster when Debbie placed a large box from Aunt Lillian on the floor at her feet. It contained a beautiful set of stainless steel pots and pans, kitchen utensils, and bake ware. There were too many items to display all of them, so she pulled out a cake pan and an egg timer. Leave it to Aunt Lillian to find an hourglass filled with blue SAND.


The next box piqued her curiosity. The card simply read "from the girls." She lifted the lid and gasped. HEAT raced up her neck and flooded her face. Inside the box lay a pair of see-through, black-lace BIKINI panties, a bottle of Wildfire massage LOTION, and a book titled "101 Ways to Keep the FIREWORKS Going in the Bedroom."


She glanced at each of her friends. The guilty look on Cheryl and Jan's faces confirmed her suspicion. They were the culprits behind the risqué gifts.


"Come on, Amanda, show us what's in the box." Cheryl grinned and winked at her.

"Yeah, hold them up and let us see them." Jan snickered. "What's the matter, don't you like your presents?"

Amanda snorted. There was no way she'd show anyone that erotic stuff! Tossing an "I'll get you for this" look their way, she snapped the lid back on the box and shoved it at Stephy.


Two irons, an ironing board, and several sets of sheets and towels later, she reached the end of the pile. The final gift was from her mother. Tears streamed down her face as she read the tender words written on the card. Carefully, she lifted the lid and brushed the tissue paper aside, unveiling a beautiful white peignoir set.

She pulled it out of the box and held it against her. The silk gown swirled as it floated to the floor. Delicate lace and iridescent beading adorned the bodice of the gown and threaded through the gossamer robe.


Gently, she folded the gown and robe and placed them back in the box, before reaching for her mother. She held on tight while Mother used a tissue to blot the tears from her cheeks.


Breaking into the tender mother/daughter moment, Rita handed Amanda one of the finished "bonnets." All the girls had a bonnet tied to their heads. She giggled. They looked so silly. Her bonnet held all of the white bows, and multi-colored bows adorned those worn by the rest of the bridal party.


Flashbulbs popped as the eight women posed for pictures. Amanda blinked, trying to clear the spots from her eyes.


Baritone laughter filled the room, and she looked toward the door. Joe and his friends--Jim, Eric, Tony, and Mike--stood there gawking at them.


Amanda took off the hat and tossed it onto the table, then strode across the floor and into Joe's arms, kissing him lightly. The crowd applauded. Joe dipped her over his arm and passionately kissed her again.


He broke the kiss and set her on her feet. Her bones had melted, and she held on to him until she was sure her legs would support her. Judging by that kiss, they'd never have occasion to use Cheryl's book.


Steadier on her feet, she stepped out of his embrace and asked him to start loading the gifts in the car. The men formed an impromptu assembly line and, in a matter of minutes, had all the presents loaded into Joe's car and Mike's van.

Amanda circled the room, stopping at each table to thank the ladies for their generous gifts. After giving her mother one last hug, she left with Joe. She had a special birthday present for him, and she wanted privacy when she gave it to him.


End