- Text Size +

<><><><><>

Chapter One: Monday

Amanda awoke slowly; she yawned and stretched in an attempt to shake the cobwebs from her sleep-filled brain. Giving the bedside clock a glance, she debated whether or not to go back to sleep. Her two-week vacation began today, and she didn’t need to be up quite so early. Deciding against it, she got out of bed. It was a beautiful, sunny day, and she didn’t want to waste it in bed.

The idea of all that time alone had her feeling both elated and a little sad. Her mother had gone on a trip with Aunt Lillian, and the boys were away at summer camp. Even Lee was out of town on a contact-zero assignment.

She missed them all, but the time alone gave her the freedom to do as she pleased for a change. Right now, nothing would please her more than a nice, relaxing bubble bath.

Amanda padded into the bathroom and turned on the water, regulating it to a soothing temperature. She sprinkled a generous amount of the bath salts her mother had given her under the flow. While the tub filled, she straightened up her bedroom. The gentle scent of sweet peas wafting on the air drew her back into the bathroom. She quickly slipped off her lacy nightgown--the sexy one she couldn’t wear when the boys were home--and gently lowered herself into the steaming water, relaxing with a good book until the water turned cold.

After a quick breakfast, the rest of her day was wide open. Today she planned to play tourist and visit the Washington D.C.  monuments. Even though she worked there on a daily basis, there were some she hadn’t visited in a long time, and now was the perfect opportunity to see things that interested her, without having to keep track of a group of boys on a Trailblazer’s expedition. The shrill ring of the phone shattered the silence.

“Hello?”

“Amanda, it’s Billy.”

She frowned and tried to keep her voice upbeat to hide the disappointment she felt. It wasn’t Lee calling to say that he’d made it back safely. She worried about him whenever she wasn’t the one watching his back. “Sir, is everything all right? Did something happen to Lee?”

“No, Lee’s fine. He made all of his scheduled check-ins. He should be finished with his assignment in the next day or two. I’m sorry to disturb you on your vacation, but I was wondering if you could stop by? There’s a little problem here, and we need your help.”

Thousands of questions raced through her mind. What could be so important that they needed her help? Sure, she was becoming a good agent, but Billy never brought her in when Lee wasn’t available to work with her. “I’ll be there as soon as I can.” She quickly changed into something more appropriate for the office and drove to Georgetown.

The Bullpen always buzzed with activity, and today was no different. Phones were ringing off the hook. The clanging of the Teletype could be heard above the din of voices. Then there were the occasional outbursts of laughter as someone told a joke.

“Good morning, sir, Francine,” she said, with a nod of her head as she entered Billy’s office.

“Good morning, Amanda. Thank you for coming in. Please, have a seat.”

“You’re welcome. You know I’m always happy to help in any way I can. What do you need me to do?” She sat in one of the chairs facing Billy’s desk.

“It’s come to our attention that someone is auctioning off classified documents. The sale is rumored to be taking place at a nightclub on P Street called Tina’s Place. We had an agent on the inside, code name Siren, but due to illness, she’s unable to complete the assignment. That’s where you come in.”

“I don’t follow you, sir. How am I the only one who could help?”

“Amanda, please,” Francine huffed. “I can’t believe it’s true, but you are the only one on staff who could help us with this. Why don’t you give Billy a chance to explain?”

“You’re right, Francine.” Amanda felt her face redden and hoped no one noticed. “I’m sorry, sir. Please continue.”

“Agent Siren was performing--singing--in the club, and your initial background check revealed that you sang with a band called,” he flipped open a folder on his desk, “Porsche, in high school and college. I want you to take Siren’s place. We need someone on the inside, and you’re perfect.”

Stunned, that was the only way to describe it. She hadn’t sung in pubic since she met Joe. Of course, back then her studies came first, and she wanted to spend all her free time with him, not cooped up in some hot, stuffy garage practicing with the band.  Besides, what girl in her right mind would want to spend time with guys who treated her like their kid sister than with her boyfriend? Mike’s decision to join the Navy made her decision to quit easier, since he had been the glue that kept the band together--their so-called leader. The band broke up but still remained best of friends. And they still treated her like their kid sister.

“Sir, it’s been a long time since I’ve performed in public. I’m not sure that I still can. Isn’t there someone else? Couldn’t Francine lip sync or something? Besides, I was never that good.”

“Amanda, I know you can do it. You haven’t let me down yet. I just need somebody to keep an eye on things. We’ll help in any way we can. Anything you need, just ask. “

A swarm of butterflies took flight in Amanda’s stomach. “Okay, I’ll give it my best shot. I’m going to need a few things--a place to rehearse, a piano, and some amplifiers and speakers, too. I’ll request anything else I need once I get a feel for the club’s acoustics.”

“Done. Francine, are you getting all this down? Anything else, Amanda?” Billy asked.

“Yes, sir. I need Mike.”

“You heard her, Francine, make sure she has a microphone!”

“No, sir, not a mike. Mike. He’s a saxophone player, and I can’t sing anything without him. If it’s possible, I’d like to have him with me on this.”

“Oh, great, just what we need, another civilian," Francine said under her breath.

“I’m sorry, but there is no way I’m going to go on stage without Mike. One of the reasons I stopped singing was Mike left the band to join the Navy. I will not sing without him.”

Amanda turned to Billy. “You use civilians all the time. Technically, I’m still a civilian. Mike was a Navy Seal. I’m sure he could still keep a secret. You did say anything I needed. I really need Mike.”

“Okay, Amanda. Where can we find this Mike for you?”

She relaxed into her chair. With Mike as backup, maybe she could pull this off. “I’ll just give him a call and ask for his help.” Mike’s number was one she couldn't forget. One she could dial in her sleep.

Was she actually going to do this? Sing in front of a live audience after all this time?  “How much time will I have to prepare once Mike gets here?” she asked, hoping for a week or more.

“Not much, four or five days. Siren thinks that the sale will take place over the weekend.” Billy raised his hands, as if to say ‘I’m sorry.’

Four or five days. That was all the time she would have. It wasn’t much. She hoped she wouldn’t let everyone down.

With trembling fingers, she dialed the number that would ring Mike, no matter where in the world he was located.

A series of clicks and static assaulted her ears as the call transferred, and then a very familiar voice came on the line.

“Brennan.”

“Mike? Hi, it’s me. Amanda.”

“Pud, how are you? The family is well, I hope.”

“I’m fine and so are Mother and the boys.”  She spoke quickly, “Uh . . . Mike . . . something’s come up here, and I need your help.”

“Just tell me where you are. I’m on my way!”

“I’m in D.C.”

“Damn! Amanda, I’m home.”

“Home Boston, or home Ireland?”

“Ireland.”

“Shoot!”

“Not a problem, I’ll just head over to the airport and catch the next flight out. I’ll call you back when I have my itinerary.”

She heard Billy clear his throat. “Hang on a minute, Mike.”  She placed her hand over the mouthpiece and explained to Billy that Mike was in Ireland and would catch the next flight out.

Billy made a few phone calls and arranged to have a military plane waiting for him at Shannon Airport. All he had to do was go to the area reserved for military aircraft and present his passport.

She got back on the line. “The arrangements are all taken care of.” She relayed Billy’s instructions to him. “Oh, there’s one more thing. You’ll need to bring Emma. Heckle and Jekyll, too.”

“Okay, I’m on my way. I’ll try and track down Dave and Paul. Last I heard, they were in California. Don’t worry. I’m sure everything will be fine. See you soon, Pud.”

“Bye, Mike. Thanks.”

Out of the corner of her eye, Amanda watched Francine cock one perfectly sculpted eyebrow as she rose from the couch. “Emma? Heckle? Jekyll? My, my, Amanda, what an interesting assortment of cohorts you have.”

“Francine, how many people do you know who’d drop everything they’re doing and fly halfway around the world because you simply said you needed them?" Amanda didn't try to stifle the exasperation in her voice. "And just for your information, Emma is his saxophone! As for the rest, you asked for my help, and I need Porsche to give it to you.” Francine turned on her heel and left the office in a huff.

There was some small comfort in knowing that her friends would drop everything to come when she called. Do anything in their power to help her. No questions asked. That was the kind of friendship they had. There were no regrets. They just outgrew the band, but not the deep bond the quartet had.

Francine's attitude stretched her already tight nerves, and Amanda held her purse in a white-knuckled grip. "Sir, there is just one other thing. I would appreciate it if Lee doesn’t find out about this. You know how he feels about me working without him."

“Don’t worry, Amanda. I’ll make this a need-to-know assignment. Before you go to the airport, stop back here. I want you to take Francine with you. I’ll meet all of you at the music studio and bring everyone up to speed together.”

The look on Billy’s face halted her argument about not needing Francine along to pick up Mike. “Thank you.” She sighed and left the office to run the errands she had planned for later in the week.

All of her free time was now going to be used on this assignment, which she dreaded, even though it would reunite her with some old and dear friends. The last time they were all together had been at her wedding. She'd seen Mike right after her divorce, and he tried to visit her every couple of years or so.

Paul and Dave--or “Heckle and Jekyll” as they were better known because of their more spirited hi jinx--had been busy with their own lives. Playing in the bands of some famous groups over the years left them very little free time, but they kept in touch with letters and postcards. Amanda received one from every city they played in. She hoped they weren’t too inconvenienced because she asked for their help.

Amanda looked at her watch, no more time for stalling. Time to pick up Francine and make the long drive to Maryland. At least she could look forward to seeing Mike, even if the thought of singing made her queasy.

Chapter Two:

Awkwardly, they made the lengthy drive to Maryland. Although they were finally getting along, Amanda didn’t really know what to say to Francine. Her mind was crowded with thoughts of seeing her friends and the fact that she would be singing in front of a live audience again. She glanced at Francine, and then cleared her throat to break the strained silence. “I know you’re not thrilled with this whole situation. I just wanted you to know I appreciate your professionalism. I can assure you that Mike will keep whatever you tell him secret. This whole assignment has me nervous and worried, and I’m talking too much, aren't I? I’m sorry.”

“That’s all right.” Francine heaved a sigh.

Amanda made the turn into the gates of Andrews Air Force Base, and the security guard directed her to an empty parking space.

Later, Amanda paced back and forth in front of the chain link fence that separated the parking area from the tarmac, waiting for Mike’s plane to land. Her stomach alternated between queasiness and anticipation at seeing her friend.

The sooner Mike arrived, the sooner they could start on ending this assignment. The thunderous roar of the engines on the F-15 carrying Mike sounded overhead. Amanda turned and quickly scanned the distance, shielding her eyes from the sunlight as she watched the plane land. It didn’t take her long to spot the ruggedly handsome man climbing down from the plane

At 6’3”, Mike was as tall as Lee, if not taller, and "black Irish,” with his thick head of wavy jet-black hair and startling blue eyes. She waved to him and smiled when she noticed him lengthen his stride.

“Amanda,” he called to her across the tarmac.

She heard that wonderfully rich brogue of his and knew everything would be all right.

“Mike,” she squealed, as he picked her up in a bear hug, swinging her around in circles.

“Okay, okay, put me down,” Amanda gasped.

He quickly set her back on her feet, taking a step back to hold her at arm’s length.  She could feel a blush rise at his intense scrutiny. "Pud, are you all right? I've been so worried since I hung up the phone. You want to tell me what's going on? That," he pointed to the jet, "was no ordinary plane. Just what have you gotten yourself into?"

“I'm fine, really. I’ll tell you everything. Just not here."

“Pud?” inquired Francine, breaking up the reunion.

“Mike, I like you to meet a friend and business associate of mine, Francine Desmond.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Mike answered, in a voice that dripped with Irish warmth. “Any friend of Amanda’s is a friend of mine, especially one as beautiful as you. As far as Pud goes, it’s short for Puddin'. Amanda’s eyes always remind me of chocolate pudding, therefore, I call her Puddin’. Isn’t that right, Pud?”

“Okay, Mike, knock it off.” Amanda playfully swatted his arm. “Some things are better left unsaid. Let’s get this show on the road. The sooner we get started, the better.”

On the way back to the car, he assured Amanda that Heckle and Jekyll would be able to meet them tomorrow. She slowly let out the breath she wasn’t aware she had been holding until that moment.

An hour and a half later, they entered the music studio that had been rented for the rehearsals, where Billy waited to brief them on the assignment. Quick introductions were made.

“Before we begin, Mr. Brennan, I have some papers for you to sign. They’re the standard confidentiality agreements. You understand if you repeat anything of what you see or hear, to anyone, you’ll be subject to Federal charges, including treason.”

“Is that really necessary, sir?” she protested.

“Ah, there now, lass, the man is only doing his job. No worries now. Mr. Melrose, where do I sign?” Mike agreed, as he stroked his hand down Amanda’s hair.   Francine just rolled her eyes at the overt display of affection.

“Right here on the third page. I’m also going to need to hold on to your passport. It will be returned to you once you’ve been debriefed.”

Mike quickly signed the papers and handed over his passport, and they sat and waited for Billy to fill them in on the details. Amanda opened the dossier handed to her and scanned the brief summary and pictures of possible suspects, while Billy filled in the gaps.

“We suspect the club owner might be involved, but we have no clear proof. We’re not exactly sure who else may be mixed up in this. We feel that with you on center stage, so to speak, you can keep tabs on the players. We'll post an Alpha Team in a van down the street. Francine, trot out your ’happy hooker’ cover. You can keep an eye on the owner and Amanda. I don’t like the idea of her being alone on this assignment.”

Mike bristled. “Amanda isn't in any danger as long as I'm around. I may not be carrying a weapon, but I haven’t forgotten my Seal training.”

Amanda took hold of Mike’s hand and squeezed. “I know, but for my peace of mind . . . I’m worried about getting you involved in this as it is, and if you got hurt or worse because of me . . . I don’t think . . . please, Mike.”

“I promise I’ll do my best to stay out of it, but I won’t stand by and watch if there’s something I can do to help. Agreed?”

She smiled and gave a slight nod of agreement.

After Billy and Francine left, they began to rehearse the old familiar songs, and it didn’t take her long to get back into the swing of things. It seemed a little harder to reach those elusive high notes, but Mike assured her that it wouldn’t be a problem to match the note with his sax, or just work the songs in a lower key. When his stomach growl could be heard over the music, they decided to call it quits. They headed back to the house on Maplewood Drive for a light supper and some rest.

Amanda cleaned up the dinner dishes, while Mike wandered around her family room. He picked up pictures of the boys and her mother, commenting on how much the boys had grown since the last time he saw them. He picked up a football displayed on a shelf and read the inscription aloud. “To a heck of a good reporter, best wishes, Sandy Newcomb. I didn’t know you had a reporter in the family. Who is it? Phillip or Jamie?"

“Oh, that? No, that’s mine.” She felt her face redden. “It’s a souvenir from one of my first assignments with my partner, Lee. He’d gone undercover as a football player, and I was asked to relay messages for him. The best way to do that was for me to pretend to be a reporter.” Thinking about the brief kiss they shared on that assignment caused her to cast her eyes down, and she hoped her blush wasn’t too obvious.

“Must have been some escapade. So, do you want to tell me how you got involved in all this? It doesn’t seem like something you would do--even though you were always looking for adventure.”

“It’s a long story, and maybe someday I’ll tell you all about it. Let’s just say that I was in the right place at the right time and leave it at that.”

"Under the circumstances, don't you think I have a right to know what I've gotten myself into? Come on, let’s talk.  Now is the right place and time. It’s not like we have anything else to do.”

“Okay, lets have our coffee and dessert in the den.”

Mike carried the tray with coffee and Amanda's famous poppy seed cake. He made a show of getting comfortable on the couch, fluffing pillows and arranging them all around him. She sat across from him in a wingback chair. Both picked up their coffee cups and he toasted her. “Slainte. Dinner was wonderful. Your beef stew’s almost as good as mine,” he teased. Then his expression darkened. “Okay, Pud, spill it.”

“There really isn’t much to tell. Three years ago, I was taking a friend to the train station, when a man in a waiter’s uniform rushed over and handed me a package, told me to get on the train, give it to the man in the red hat, and took off. I don’t know what made me take it or help out, but I did, and I've been helping out ever since. That's all."

“That’s not all, but for now, I’ll take it.”

She let out a slow breath. “I appreciate that. I really can’t give you any more information anyway. Need-to-know and all that, you understand, don’t you?”

“Tell me about Lee. There’s something more going on between you two than just helping out. You may be able to fool everyone else, but I can read you like a book. Talk to me.”

“There isn’t anything going on. Lee and I are just partners and friends--good friends--best friends. But that’s all, only friends.”

“Is that your choice or his?”

“That’s just how it is. I’m not the type of woman Lee’s looking for. He’s the love ‘em and leave ‘em type. I don’t think there’s anyone, single or married, at the Agency that hasn’t been involved with him at one time or another. Gosh, even Francine. He has changed some over the years, but I can’t be just another notch on his bedpost--no matter how much I . . . care about him. You know sex for me is never casual. I take my heart to bed with me. I can’t risk that kind of hurt again.”

“Boy, Joe was a real bastard! He really hurt you, didn’t he?”

“Joe has nothing to do with this. Where did you get that idea from?”

“You’re afraid to take a chance. He did that to you. What happened to all those dreams you had?”

The defeat was clearly evident in her voice. “I don’t believe in dreams anymore. Well, not the big ones anyway. There’s no point in having them. I’ve learned the hard way that the more I want something--the further it slips out of my reach. It’s easier not to want any more than I have. A lot less painful, too.”

“But what about your happiness?”

“I’m happy. I have two wonderful boys who are healthy, a mother who helps me without question.” He quirked an eyebrow at that statement. “Okay, without too many questions, and a job I am good at and like. What more do I need?”

“There’s more to life than that, and you know it. Tell me more about Lee.”

“What do you want to know?”

“Anything you want to tell me.”

“Well, let’s see. Where do I begin?” Pride laced her voice as she began to list her partner’s qualities. “He reminds me of you in some respects. He’s about as tall as you with sandy brown hair and beautifully expressive eyes. They change color depending on his mood. He has excellent taste in clothes and music. He’s a great cook and possesses a vast knowledge of wines."

Her smiled broadened. “He’s one of the country’s best agents. Smart, sexy, arrogant, infuriating, exasperating, stubborn, caring, and loyal to a fault. I can count on him one hundred percent. He’s never let me down yet. Never promises anything he can’t deliver. Lee would risk everything for a friend--and has a couple of times for me. He has a smile that can melt the arctic. The most adorable dimples you've ever seen. A lethal combination and he knows it and uses them to his advantage--often. And when he flashes that lopsided grin, I just can’t say no to him or stay mad for very long.”

She put her cake down on the table and took a sip of her now tepid coffee. “Sometimes he’s just like a little boy who needs to be loved. He has the most incredibly sexy hands--long fingers, wide, warm palms. I’ve seen them inflict pain on those who deserve it one minute and be as gentle as a butterfly the next.” She paused in her litany. “Oh, yeah, he’s also a southpaw. Is there anything else you’d like to know?”

“Just how long have you been in love with him?”

Amanda stared at Mike, her hand coming up to clasp her necklace. “I’m not in lo . . . ” she began, but faltered halfway through her sentence--it was no use trying to fool Mike. Besides, it felt good to talk to somebody about her feelings. She knew Mike would never say anything. Her secret was safe with him. “About two years.” she confessed.

“Does he know?”

“I’m not sure. At first, he annoyed me to no end, always treating me like I didn’t exist--until he was forced to ask for my help. As his attitude changed, I’ll admit I developed a major crush, with a little hero worship mixed in. Now I’m not so sure. It’s hard to tell. We seem to be stalled.“

She took a deep breath and continued. “Things started to move forward last November. We were on a dangerous assignment. I really didn’t think we would get out of that one, and we almost kissed. Afterward, Lee went on about how things happen during a dangerous assignment--in the heat of the moment. I told him that’s not exactly what happened.”

Restlessly, she got up and paced in front of the fireplace.

“Then, just a few weeks ago . . . he kissed me. I mean really kissed me. Oh, Mike, it was wonderful. I waited so long, and it finally happened. Things were moving along nicely, until Lee was called out of town on an assignment. Now I’m worried things will be different when he comes back.”

“Everything will be fine. Don’t worry. If he’s as wonderful as you make him sound, things will be okay. Have you told him how you feel?”

“No. The romantic side of our relationship is too new . . . ” Amanda let out a huge yawn. It was just what she needed to change the subject. “I guess it’s been a long day for both of us. I’m going to head up to bed. You know you don’t have to sleep on the couch. There are perfectly good empty beds upstairs. I’m sure Phillip and Jamie won’t mind if you crash in their room.”

“No, the couch is just fine. It’s just for tonight anyway. I’m checking into a hotel in the morning. We can’t have the neighbors talking. At least down here I won’t disturb you. I’m not quite adjusted to the time difference yet. My body doesn’t know if it’s night or day. I think I’ll just watch some TV if that’s okay with you?”

“Sure. Make yourself at home. Goodnight. See you in the morning.”

“Night.”

Chapter Three: The next three days.

The delicious aroma of bacon wafting from her kitchen greeted Amanda the next morning. Shaking sleep from her mind, she quickly completed her morning rituals and headed down to a wonderful breakfast prepared by Mike. While they ate, Mike told her Dave and Paul would be flying in that morning, and she told him to take the Jeep after dropping her at the Metro station and meet her at the studio after lunch.

On the subway to work, Amanda tried to come up with a plausible reason to give Dave and Paul why the band needed to get back together. The truth wasn't an option, but nothing came to mind.

During her meeting with Billy, he advised her that there would be a couple of agents in the audience on Thursday--along with Francine--for backup. Leatherneck set her up with a transmitter so the Alpha team could monitor the situation, and then she was off again to the studio.

At the door to the studio, she took a deep breath and let it out slowly, trying to settle her nerves. This was it--the moment of truth. Her friends were on the other side. Straightening her blouse and patting her hair to make sure it was still in place, she turned the knob and stepped back into her past.

Dave and Paul hadn’t changed a bit. They were a little older, but then, so was she. So what if they had a little more forehead than she remembered. It didn’t matter--not to her. It was a joy to see them again. She didn’t even try to stop the tears that formed amid the multitude of hugs and peals of laughter.

Dave abruptly released her from his embrace. “Okay, Amanda, why are we here? Don’t get me wrong, we’re happy to see you, but tell us what’s the matter?”

She swallowed hard. “I can’t.” She wrung her hands. “Please believe me when I tell you it’s important, but I can’t tell you why. If you’ve ever trusted me in the past . . . trust me now.”

It wasn’t good enough, and she knew it. They deserved a better answer. After all, they put their lives on hold with a simple phone call from Mike. She just couldn’t come up with one. They all stood around, not saying anything. Dave and Paul gave Mike a questioning look.  Mike gave a slight nod of his head, and that was the end of the awkward moment. Pulling herself together, she suggested they get down to the business at hand.

They settled down and began to rehearse. Amanda briefly panicked when she heard the opening notes, afraid she wouldn’t remember the words. Catching Mike’s wink, she relaxed, and the old familiar lyrics sprang from her lips.

The quartet rehearsed Tuesday and Wednesday at the studio but went to the club early on Thursday afternoon to get the feel of the place.

Tina’s Place was nicer than the clubs they played back in college, but somehow it had that cold, empty feeling they all had. The chairs were all turned upside down on top of the tables and bar, and their footsteps echoed in the empty space. Mike spoke with the club manager, Amanda went backstage, and Dave and Paul went to check out the equipment.

The costumes were simple. Dave, the fashion consultant of the group, had always picked out their costumes, and this time would be no different. The guys looked slick in their black leather pants and black dress shirts. The only splash of color would be Amanda’s emerald green shirt. When she finally got a look at her costume, she almost called the whole thing off. The shirt was just a front, with a tie around her neck and one across the middle of her back. The skirt Dave chose for her was no bigger than a postage stamp.

Mike cajoled her with an evil smile, telling her that although she was no longer eighteen, she still had a terrific body and legs that just wouldn't quit. She was still reluctant, but then he pulled out the big guns. The patrons of the club would be so busy looking at her, they wouldn't notice any activity her co-workers might be involved in.

He was right. Deep down she knew it. And she couldn't back out now--so she agreed with one minor stipulation, after talking to Dave. Tonight she would wear a red silk shirt she had at home, along with a black skirt with an exaggerated slit that went almost all the way to the top of her thigh. It was more respectable, and with other agents in the audience--she would rather they didn't see quite so much of her. She agreed to save the green outfit for Friday, hoping they would wrap this up tonight.

Chapter Four: Thursday evening, Friday morning.

Lee’s eyes burned and felt like sandpaper. His latest assignment had drained all the energy out of him. In short, he was exhausted. He’d chased Gustav Hansen all over Europe, finally nailing him in Italy. His flight home had been one of the worst of his life. The plane had been filled to capacity, and his seat wouldn’t recline, so he’d spent the entire eight-hour flight with his knees in his chest--trapped next to a fidgety child and his mother. And the icing on the cake--a crying infant directly behind him. Sometimes the fates were cruel.

There had been a flight the next day with a seat available in first class, but he wanted to get home as soon as possible. He was anxious to get back and see his partner. He missed talking to her. Hell, he just plain missed her.

During the long drive from the airport, all he wanted was some food, a hot shower, and Amanda. First things first though, he needed to call Billy and let him know he had returned. He didn’t even bother to hide his displeasure when Billy ordered him to come straight in for debriefing. Talking to Amanda would have to wait just a little longer.

Ever since kissing her in the Q-Bureau, he’d been having a hard time keeping his mind on business and off the very real possibility of a future with her. He began pacing the confines of the small room. ‘Where the hell was Billy?’ He had better things to do than cool his heels waiting. He plowed his fingers through his hair once more, as Billy finally arrived after keeping him waiting for over an hour. It was almost midnight when Lee finally left the Agency.

Even though it was late, he decided to swing by Amanda’s, just to check up on her. Disappointment coursed through him as he steered the silver Corvette down her block and noticed her Wagoneer wasn’t in the driveway.

She should've been home this time of night. In a quick flash of jealousy, the thought that she might be out on a date crossed his mind. Determined to find out exactly what was going on, he pulled further down the block and adjusted the rearview mirror for a better view of her house, made himself as comfortable as he could be, and waited for Amanda to return home. He didn’t want to disturb Dotty or the boys, and the green-eyed monster wouldn’t let him leave. He knew he shouldn’t act like this, but he couldn’t help himself. After a couple of hours, his legs began to cramp, and his back stiffened up.

Getting out to stretch his legs, he walked down to the corner and back again a few times, hoping to ease the cramps and loosen up his stiff back, before settling back in the car to wait. It wasn’t long before he fell fast asleep, his jet lag finally catching up to him.

He awoke with a start. Curious to see just how long he’d been sleeping, he reached for the ignition to illuminate the dashboard clock. He blinked his eyes to make sure he read the numbers correctly--four am. The pain in his lower back that had been nagging him since he got off the plane quickly disappeared when he noticed Amanda’s Jeep parked in the driveway.

The warm glow through the living room windows called out to him. He unfolded himself from behind the wheel and tiptoed across the neighbor's yard for a quick peek.

There she was--his princess--sound asleep on the couch. A sly grin crossed his face as he imagined tucking Amanda into bed and stealing a kiss or two. Acting on impulse, he hurried to her backyard, pulled out his trusty half-rake, and picked the lock on the back door.

He didn't want to frighten her if she woke, and he paused and just stared at her. He mentally kicked himself for taking too long to see just how truly beautiful she really was and to appreciate everything that made her unique.

While he studied her, he couldn't help but notice how thoroughly exhausted she looked; her silky lashes barely concealed the dark circles under her eyes. Deciding not to wake her, he gently eased her down on the couch. If she slept in this position all night, she’d have a kink in her back as bad as he did. Next he slipped off her sneakers and covered her with the afghan that he found draped over the back of a nearby chair. He tenderly smoothed back the hair that fell across her forehead and brushed his lips across her cheek.

“Sweet dreams, my Amanda,” he whispered, as he left to drive home for some much-needed sleep, knowing he would be spending the night with his Amanda--if only in his dreams.

A scant three hours later, the alarm clock yanked him awake. Lee hurled expletives, as well as his pillow, at the offending object and debated whether or not to be late to the morning staff meeting.

“I’m getting too old for this,” he complained to his empty apartment. “I need more than a few hours sleep.”

The only thing that motivated him to get out of bed was the prospect of seeing Amanda. That thought cheered him immensely. He whistled his way though his morning routine and inhaled his tepid coffee and stale bagel. On the short trip to work, he found himself singing along with the radio.

Pulling into the garage, he frowned when he spied Amanda’s usual parking place empty. He hoped that she was just running late and headed to the Q-Bureau to wait for her arrival. He’d get a jump on the dreaded paperwork. Maybe, if they finished early, he could convince her to play hooky for the rest of the day.

Lee worked so diligently that he hadn't realized Amanda wasn't at work until he missed her presence in the morning staff meeting. When Billy concluded the meeting and she still hadn't arrived, he began to worry.

After another impatient hour, he stormed into Billy’s office and began to pace, raking his hand through his hair.

“Billy, have you heard from Amanda?”

“Why would I hear from Amanda? She’s taking a few days of vacation.”

Frustrated, he continued to pace the small confines of the office. Something wasn’t right. Billy wouldn’t meet his eyes. “No, that’s not it.  What are you keeping from me? “

Billy shuffled the papers on his desk, ignoring Lee’s plea. “Nothing, Lee, all you need to know is that Amanda has a few days off. Now don’t you have a report to write?”

Lee stormed out of the office on the pretense of heading back upstairs to his unfinished paper work. He made a quick detour to find Francine and see if she knew what was going on.

He checked every possible location he could think of for Francine. Damn, he couldn’t find her anywhere. He jabbed the elevator button and stomped up to the Q-Bureau.

~~~~~SMK~~~~~

Amanda arrived at work just before lunchtime and headed straight for the closet elevator. As she strode through the bullpen, Mark stopped her and let her know how much he enjoyed seeing the show last night and how surprised he was that she actually had a terrific singing voice. Blushing profusely, she thanked him for the compliment and continued to Billy’s office.

Although his door was open, she didn't enter when she noticed he was on the phone. Billy beckoned her in with a wave, and she took a seat while he finished with his call.

She caught the tail end of his conversation, and judging by Billy’s tone of voice, Lee was on the other end, and he was giving him a hard time about something. He hung up the phone and rubbed his hands over his face. Her heart gave a little flutter as she pictured Lee sitting at his desk, running his hand through his hair while listening to Billy.

“Sorry, Amanda,” Billy said. “As you heard, Lee has returned, and he’s been looking for you all morning, and I promised you he wouldn’t find out about this assignment from me. I think it's best for him to be out of the office while you’re here. I sent him to cover for me in a meeting with the President and the Joint Chiefs--a briefing on the outcome of his last assignment.”

“Thank you, sir. I really appreciate it. How did his assignment go? Were there any problems? He always does things his own way, without any regard for the consequences.” Billy's lips twitched in amusement, and she snapped her mouth shut.

Billy chuckled. “It went fine, he’s fine. A little tired, but I guess that’s my fault. I had him come straight in from the airport last night for debriefing, and I guess it wrapped up a little late.”

He called Francine into his office, and the trio began to dissect the details of the previous evening. Francine confirmed Amanda’s suspicion about the bartender. He spent the entire night on the phone in between filling drink orders. They had no proof to offer--other than gut instinct--and they outlined a plan of action.

Amanda turned to leave when Billy called her back. “Oh, Amanda, can I have a moment please?”

“Yes, sir, what do you need?”

“Nothing, I just wanted to say that you’ve been doing a great job. On my way home last night, I stopped by the club, very impressive. You were wonderful, and if I didn’t know any better, I would’ve guessed you’d been doing that for more than just a couple of days.”

Amanda felt the blush creep up her neck and was sure her face was a brilliant shade of red. She stammered out her thanks and deflected the compliment, explaining that the credit really went to Mike, Dave, and Paul. It was their combined talent that made Porsche successful.

After leaving his office, she completed her report and met the band for lunch before they went to the club.

Chapter Five:  Friday afternoon.

Something gnawed at Lee. He couldn’t get the nagging feeling that something wasn’t right out of the back of his mind.  Billy’s quick response to his question about Amanda had set off his inner alarm. Then he’d been sent into this meeting. The agent of record almost never briefed the President. Something weird was going on, and he suspected Amanda was right in the middle of it.

Someone deliberately wanted him out of the loop. There was some telltale clue he’d missed. It would come to him eventually. Amanda had a knack for getting into trouble, and it was his responsibility to make sure that she didn’t get hurt. As soon as he found Billy, he would demand an explanation.

He marched toward Billy’s office, only to be brought up short by the strange looks and odd comments made by his fellow agents. What shocked him the most was that the comments were all about Amanda.

He burst through Billy’s door. “Billy, what the hell is going on? I just ran into Fred Fielder, and he said he enjoyed seeing Amanda last night. Care to explain?”

“No. I don’t.”

“Come on, Billy. I’m her partner. I have a right to know what’s going on.”

“I’m sorry, Lee. It’s need-to-know, and you don’t.”

Billy’s refusal only frustrated him more. "Damn it all to hell, Billy, this is Amanda we’re talking about! You know very well she always manages to land herself in trouble. I need to be there to see that nothing happens to her.”

Billy smiled. "Amanda is just fine. She knows what she’s doing. Do you really think I would let anything happen to her?  Well, do you?"

“No, but Billy…”

“Don’t but Billy me.”

“Just tell me where she is.”

“Lee, stay out of this. I mean it. Leave Amanda alone. That’s an order!”

Lee stormed out and headed upstairs to the Q-Bureau, muttering the whole way. “Well, if you won’t tell me what I want to know, I’ll just have to find out on my own. I’m not an intelligence operative for nothing.” He rummaged around his desk, hoping Amanda had left him a message.

There wasn’t anything on his desk. He seated himself behind his partner’s desk, heaved a huge sigh, and searched the top drawer. He wasn’t sure what he would find, but he hoped Amanda had left some clue as to what she’d been up to during the past week.

He slammed the final drawer shut. Nothing, not a single clue. He didn’t think there would be. Amanda was too good to leave anything lying around that would jeopardize an investigation. He trained her too well.

He stood and paced the room for a few minutes; he needed to get out, to be on the move. He grabbed his suit jacket off the back of his chair and slammed the door to the Q-Bureau. After racing downstairs and out the Georgetown entrance, he jumped into the ‘Vette and peeled away from IFF and headed toward Arlington.

As he drove across town, all sorts of scenarios, with Amanda in dire straits, raced through his mind. “Oh, Amanda, what have you gotten yourself into?” He pounded his hand against the steering wheel. Her car wasn’t in the driveway. He decided to check with his  “family.” Maybe they had heard something, anything, about what Amanda was working on.

Lee drove around Washington for hours, without any luck. It was close to dinnertime, and he decided to swing back to Maplewood Drive. He could wrangle a home-cooked meal from her and get information at the same time. He would try a Class C interrogation, and if that didn’t work, there was always his charm.

Her car still wasn’t in the driveway, and there was no sign of anyone being home.  With a string of curses that would’ve done any soldier proud, he headed back to the Agency to intimidate whoever he could get his hands on for the details on Amanda’s mysterious vanishing act. Lee was not above inflicting pain to get what he wanted.

The evening shift had just come on duty, and if he played his cards right, only one place he’d have to check--the steno pool. They were privy to every report generated by every agent. He’d use the old Stetson charm to get a copy of Amanda’s last report. That angle turned out to be a waste of time; the only person there had been Harold.

Billy’s darkened office beckoned to him as he strode through the bullpen. He knew everything he was looking for would be in there. Silently, he crept in, closed and locked the door behind him, then lowered the blinds.

He pulled out a penlight and went through the files in Billy’s inbox, as well as those in the desk drawers. Nothing. That left only one place it could be. The locked file in the credenza behind the desk.

Lee made quick work of the lock, and it took him only a few moments to locate the file. He couldn't believe what he read! How could Billy let her get involved in something this dangerous?

The sound of a key rasping in the lock forced him to push the file back into the credenza and lock it. How in the hell was he going to get out of this one? Did he have time to hide in the closet? The door opened a crack.

He held his breath. Then the most precipitous thing happened. Someone called out to Billy and the door shut. Lee heaved a heavy sigh and silently opened the door to check on his whereabouts. When he saw the coast was clear, he snuck out--casting a quick backward glance to make sure everything had been put back in its proper place.

Now that he knew what Amanda was involved in, he was more worried than ever. He just hoped that he'd get there in time to keep her out of trouble.

Chapter Six:  Tina’s Place

This case was getting to her, and she hoped it would be over soon, especially with Lee back in town. She didn’t know how long she could avoid seeing him.

This time, when the door opened, she did a double take. She knew that face. It was the man from the dossier Billy had given her in the initial briefing--Lance Chadbourn.

Lance chose a seat at the far end of the bar. She strolled over to the opposite end and asked the bartender for some water.

Taking a page from Lee's book, she spoke to Francine, who sat on a stool, without looking at her. She pointed out Lance, and Francine told her to notify Billy. After hurrying backstage, she dialed the Agency and spoke with Billy, letting him know that Lance was at the club. He told her to stay put until he got there. Thinking she’d be of more help if she kept her eyes open, she went back onto the stage.

Subtly, she indicated to Francine that Billy was on the way and resumed her preparations for the evening’s entertainment.

~~~~~SMK~~~~~

Thankful he’d made a clean getaway, Lee drove like a maniac to get to the club.  Somehow he managed not to kill himself, even though he’d narrowly avoided crashing twice. He pulled into the first open space he saw and got out of the car. As he neared the club, he spotted Billy. ‘Now how in the hell did he get here ahead of me?’

He walked over to Billy, and one look at his boss’s face told Lee he was in big trouble.

“What are you doing here? I thought I ordered you to keep out of this? How did you find out about it anyway?”

“I have my ways. It’s what I do.” He held up his hands in defense. “Look, Billy, I know you told me to keep out of this, but I couldn’t. You know Amanda has a knack for getting into trouble. I want in on this. Francine is a good agent, but Amanda is my partner and responsibility. Besides, Lance Chadbourn is no one to mess around with. He doesn’t care who his clients are. How could you let Amanda get involved with this? Just what is it you have her doing? You know if there’s trouble, Amanda’s always in the middle of it. The last time Lance was brokering a deal, it was with some pretty nasty people. She could get hurt or worse.”

He watched the fury slowly drain out of Billy’s eyes. Lee realized he’d just let out a world class Amanda-ramble while pleading his case and plowed his fingers through his hair.

Billy finally smiled. “Amanda’s safe. All she had to do was notify us when Lance arrived, which she did.”

“You might as well let me in on this. One more agent couldn’t hurt.”

At last Billy agreed, and they hatched out a plan of action. So far, all they had was supposition, nothing really concrete to warrant storming the place. There were civilians to consider as well. Billy and Lee would go in--just two guys out for a drink--and assess the situation.

He checked to make sure his weapon was fully loaded and within easy reach. Billy gave the signal to enter, and they took up positions on either side of the door, waiting for their eyes to adjust to the dim light inside.

He spotted Francine at the bar and franticly searched the rest of the club for the familiar form of his partner. He couldn't locate her anywhere. But if Amanda were in trouble, Francine wouldn't be sitting at the bar.

Moments later, the house lights came up to reveal an empty stage. Billy and Lee sat at the bar and placed an order for beers, keeping to their covers. They wanted to wait until the sale was made so they could catch both Lance and the buyer.

He watched as Lance sauntered to the far end of the bar and began to talk to another gentleman. Lee headed toward the men’s room, sliding the gun from his holster, detouring at the last moment to a position behind Lance.  With the crowd mingling around the bar waiting on drinks, it wasn’t hard to be unobserved and close enough he could just hear their voices above the din of drink orders.

He signaled Billy and Francine that the deal was about to be closed, and they quickly moved into position. Lee waved his badge in Lance’s face and jabbed his gun into his ribs, hiding his movements with his body. “It’s over. Now, nice and easy, place your hands on the bar where I can see them.” Francine didn’t have any trouble from the buyer when she did the same to him. None of the patrons were any wiser as the culprits were escorted outside.

Chapter Seven:

Amanda noticed Billy at the bar and started toward him, but stopped when she spotted Lee. This wasn’t the place to explain to him what she had been doing. But since he was here, she knew he had to know at least some of what the assignment entailed. His back was to her so she couldn't see his face to gauge his reaction.

She watched as the arrest was made and heaved a sigh of relief. Maybe he wouldn't see her. Too late, he turned around. Now she had to say something.

Lee’s expression was still unreadable. The "Scarecrow" mask was firmly in place.

She knew this was going to happen. There had to be someway to make this right. If she could just talk to Lee--explain to him how Billy asked her to do this, told her she was the only one who could help. If she could get Lee to relax and enjoy himself, it might be easier to talk to him. Amanda took a steadying breath.

One minute she was walking across the room, and the next she was down on the floor. She was concentrating so hard on what she would say to Lee, she didn't notice when the man at the table to her left pulled back his chair and began to stand up.

~~~~~SMK~~~~~

“Amanda, watch out!” Lee silently screamed, as he saw the scene unfolding. Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion. Time stood still as he watched her tumble to the ground. He rushed over to her side, only to be brought up short when a stranger helped her up. Then someone else helped extricate her hand from the ape still holding it, placing his hand on the small of her back.

He was about to thank the Good Samaritan, but then this interloper still had his arm around her. The brazen way that man touched his Amanda had jealousy coursing through him. He gritted his teeth and clenched his fist in an effort to control the green-eyed monster.

He smiled as she pulled away from that man and headed over in his direction. Her eyes pleaded with him not to say anything. He frowned when he heard her whisper, “I’ll explain everything later.” But he remained silent and watched as she walked over to Billy. He turned to the man who had the audacity to put an arm around his Amanda. He was pleased that she extricated herself from him, but he wanted to make sure this stranger didn't take such liberties again. Screwing his face into the most fearsome scowl he could muster, he aimed it directly at his adversary.

Good. He made his point. The man was leaving. Lee marched back to the group to wrap things up and get Amanda out of there.

Lee needed to get himself back under control. The blood pounded in his ears, so he didn't hear what was being said, but his eyes took in every little detail--like the way Amanda’s eyes followed the stranger as he strolled back to where he came from. He didn’t care for the intimate look she was giving him. He stood silently by while Billy congratulated the team on a job well done.

”Great job, you two! Everything is wrapped up here. Francine, why don’t you and Amanda go on home? I’ll debrief the two of you in the morning.”

The look on Francine’s face indicated just how relieved she was to be through with her “happy hooker” cover.

When Amanda didn’t reply, Billy touched her arm. She jumped at the contact. “Amanda, go on home. There’s nothing more for you to do here.”

Her answer startled Lee. “Sir, there is still the second half of the set to finish. If I leave now, I’d have to explain to Dave and Paul why I’m leaving early. Since they don’t know the real reason why we’re singing here, it would be suspicious. I think it would be better all around if I finished the set. I would like it if you stayed for it. You, too, Lee.”

He couldn’t help but wonder what she was talking about. Singing? The assignment was over. They caught the bad guys. What second half? Her nervousness was apparent, and Billy must have picked up on it, because he quickly accepted the invitation for both of them. “We’d be more than happy to. I’ll instruct the Alpha team to transport the suspects and have Hanson begin the interrogation.”

Before he knew what was going on, Amanda turned around and headed back to the stage. Billy guided him back to the bar.

He stopped dead in his tracks and glanced at Billy. Amanda passed under an overhead light, and he got a good look at what she was wearing. He couldn't believe his eyes. Her costume made his mouth go dry. Her shirt--wasn’t. The entire back was missing.

"Close your mouth.” Billy handed him a napkin. “Wipe the drool off your chin.  I don’t think the surprises have stopped yet.”

He swallowed hard. His knees gave out. “Oh my gosh!” He sank down onto the nearest barstool.

His eyes never left Amanda’s form, watching as she climbed up the three steps to the stage, staring at her long legs and bare back.

His eyes finally settled on the sway of her hips.  He imagined how wonderfully silky her skin would be under his hands and exactly how those legs would feel wrapped around his waist. He had to stifle a groan and heard Billy’s chuckle.

Chapter Eight:

She walked back onto the stage on shaky legs. Settling down at the piano, she tried to stop the trembling in her hands by rearranging the sheet music. Satisfied she was back under control, she introduced the opening number for this set.

“This is the final performance of Porsche, and if it’s okay with you, we’d like to play songs that are special to all of us.” After the small round of applause, she began to play the opening of a ballad.

“This was the first song we actually got paid to sing.” She caught Mike’s wink and turned to scan the audience. They had some music recorded earlier, and when Dave flipped a switch, the sweet sound of violins began, followed by the rest of the orchestra.

It always amazed her that given the right equipment, he and his brother were able to make a simple tune sound like a symphony. With her eyes firmly on Lee’s, she began to sing.

Some sleepless night

If you should find yourself alone

Let me be the one you run to

Let me be the one you come to

When you need someone to turn to…

~~~~~SMK~~~~~

Lee sat in dazed silence at the bar. He hadn’t been able to take his eyes off her since he’d seen her sitting at the piano looking terrified, and for a brief moment, he wanted to throttle Billy for putting her in this situation. Her eyes drew him in, just like they’ve been doing since the first day they met. He couldn’t pull away from her intense gaze. Then he heard her speak, and once she started to play the piano, he forgot about being mad at Billy and settled back to enjoy the dulcet voice of his partner and best friend.

~~~~~SMK~~~~~

Mike cued the band, and live music quickly joined the recorded. Amanda played the piano without looking at the sheet music. Her eyes never left Lee’s. The rapt expression on his face made her pulse jump.

Day after day

I must face a world of strangers

Where I don’t belong

I’m not that strong

It’s nice to know

There’s someone I can turn to

Who will always care…

You’re always there…

When there’s no getting over that rainbow

When my smallest of dreams won’t come true

I can take all the madness the world has to give

But I won’t last a day without you

Lee's intense stare made her nervous. Forcing her eyes away from his, she used all her concentration to finish the song without a mistake.

~~~~~SMK~~~~~

Billy leaned over and whispered something in his ear. He was too intent on Amanda to pay attention to Billy, and he nodded his head in response, not hearing a word he said.

The lyrics hit too close to home. Who was she singing about? Herself and how she had to struggle to fit in when she first started at the Agency? He felt guilty at that thought. He really gave her a hard time when they first met. Or maybe she sung about him and his effort to fit into her world? He’d have to ask her about it the first chance he got.

~~~~~SMK~~~~~

It was inevitable; her eyes were drawn back to Lee, just like the first time on the train platform. She saw Billy lean in and whisper in Lee’s ear. His broad smile had her curious. ‘What was that all about?’ No time to ponder any further, her cue was coming up.

To set things right

When this old world’s turned upside down

Let me be the one you run to

Let me be the one you come to

When you need someone to turn to…

Touch me and I end up singing

Troubles seem to melt and disappear…

You touch me with the love you’re bringing

I can’t really lose when you’re near…

When you’re near…

And there’s no getting over that rainbow

When my smallest of dreams won’t come true…

I can take all the madness the world has to give

But I won’t last a day without you

Let me be the one you run to…

Let me be the one you come to…

When you need someone to turn to…

Let me be the one…

When the last notes faded away, the crowd burst into applause, and she saw Lee out of the corner of her eye as he jumped to his feet and clapped. Her smile was so huge her cheeks hurt. But she was proud of herself, and she couldn’t help it. She stood up from the piano bench to acknowledge the audience. Mike walked over and hugged her, placing a kiss on her cheek. She wrapped her arms around him and squeezed with all her might.

“Alright already, enough of this mushy stuff, let’s rock this place,” Dave yelled from his seat behind the drums. He began to clap his drumsticks together to count down the beat of the next song.

As Paul put down his guitar and stepped over to the synthesizer, she walked to center stage. “This song is a favorite of Dave’s, and I guess he’s just a little impatient. He claims it’s the music that he loves, but the rest of us are convinced it’s really his solo. It’s called Come To Me, and we hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we do.”

The opening chimes sounded. Then, with the magic of the synthesizer, the soft strumming of a harp followed.

Come to me
When you're all alone and feelin' down
Come to me
When there's nobody else around
Come to me
I'm still waiting open-armed for you
Come to me
'Cause I will comfort you
When you've no one to turn to
I will be here just for you

Before the last note faded, the melody changed to an up-tempo disco beat. She kept count by rocking her hips in time with the pounding bass. This song always made her want to dance, and she did so now. A little self-consciously at first, but she was quickly swept away by the music.

Come to me
When your world is empty and cold
Come to me
When you need someone you want to hold
Come to me
In my arms I will keep you safe and warm
Come to me
I will shelter you from the storm
I'm not one to pretend
Why can't you understand
That I love you
And I love you
And I need you
And I want you
And I love you
And I love you
And I need you
And I want you
Come to me, oh, baby

~~~~~SMK~~~~~

He’d barely caught his breath, when the next song started. His jaw dropped at the sight on the stage. He couldn’t believe this was his shy Amanda. There was nothing shy about her up there. The sultry way she moved her hips to keep time to the music set his blood on fire. It was a side of her he would have never guessed existed. ’I wonder how many more secrets she has hidden up her sleeve.’

He knew she was a good dancer. They danced all the time, but that was formal dancing at embassy parties. He loved having her in his arms, holding her close. The way she moved now left him breathless, and he resolved to take her out clubbing one night. He couldn’t wait to watch her move with him to a throbbing dance beat.

~~~~~SMK~~~~~

Amanda took advantage of the instrumental portion of the song to introduce and thank all the members of her band. Each member played a few riffs on their respective instruments as she named them. “Thanks for everything guys. This really meant a lot to me. Okay, everyone--here comes Dave’s solo.”

I'm a lonely man
Living in a world of dreams
I've got everything
But the one thing that I really need

Dave tossed her a grin and a tambourine. Once again, she began to sing, rapping the tambourine double-time against her hip.

Come to me
I'll give you all the love you'll need
'Cause I have love just for you

Come to me
When your world is empty and cold
Come to me
When you need someone you want to hold
Come to me
In my arms I will keep you safe and warm
Come to me
I will shelter you from the storm
I'm not one to pretend
Why can't you understand
That I love you
And I love you
And I need you (oh, baby)
(I need you) And I love you
Come to me (oh, baby)
I need you
And I need you (oh, baby)
And I want you

After the fervent applause died down, the band stood and took a bow. Amanda stepped up to the mike, her stomach filled with butterflies. Taking a deep breath, she pressed her hand to her middle to try and calm the swarm. “This one is fairly new. We have only been working on it since Wednesday. It’s called If You Asked Me To.”

She really wanted to do this song well. It said everything she was afraid to. The words she couldn't seem to speak to Lee directly. She caught his gaze and whispered into the mike, “This one’s for you.”

Used to be that I believed in something
Used to be that I believed in love
It's been a long time since I've had that feeling
I could love someone
I could trust someone
I said I'd never let nobody near my heart again, darlin'
I said I'd never let nobody in

But if you asked me to
I just might change my mind
And let you in my life forever
If you asked me to

I just might give my heart
And stay here in your arms forever
If you asked me to
If you asked me to

Somehow ever since I've been around you
Can't go back to being on my own
Can't help feeling, darling, since I've found you
That I've found my home
That I'm finally home
I said I'd never let nobody get too close to me, darling
I said I needed, needed to be free

But if you asked me to
I just might change my mind
And let you in my life forever
If you asked me to

I just might give my heart
and stay here in your arms forever

if you asked me to
if you asked me to

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Mike pick up his sax. She knew he was going to play that one note she missed every time they’d practiced. Somehow, she just knew she wouldn’t miss it tonight. Not only would she hit it, but she’d hold it for the fourteen count, too. Turning slightly toward Mike, she shook her head, silently telling him she wouldn’t need his help.

Ask me to, I will give my world to you, baby
I need you now
Ask me to and I'll do anything for you, baby, for you, baby

If you asked me to
I'd let you in my life forever
if you asked me to

All you gotta do is ask me to

All you gotta do, all you gotta do

All you gotta do is ask me to

I’ll give you my world

I’ll give you my world

Everything, everything, baby

Just ask me to

If there is anything you want me to do

Just ask me to

The crowd jumped to their feet with their final applause, with Lee leading the pack. He put his fingers to his lips and let out the loudest wolf whistle in the place.

They all gathered at the front of the stage, and Amanda felt a hot tear roll down her cheek.

“Are you all right?” Mike whispered in her ear.

Her emotions were all over the place, mostly relief that she hadn’t made a fool of herself. The tension ebbed from her body as she relaxed. “They’re happy tears. I’m fine,” she whispered back. They all joined hands then and took a final bow, then left the darkened stage. While Dave and Paul gathered their equipment, she and Mike headed toward Billy and Lee at the bar.

Chapter Nine:

“Amanda, Mike, you were just wonderful.”  Billy hugged Amanda.

Lee didn’t say anything. His lack of reaction hurt her more than he’d ever know.  A complete opposite of the enthusiasm she’d seen from the stage. She’d chosen two of those songs to try and tell him how she really felt about him.

Well, she wouldn’t think about that now. Taking a deep breath, she introduced the two most important men in her life to each other.

”Lee, I’d like you to meet a very good friend of mine, Mike Brennan. Mike, this is my partner, Lee Stetson.”

“It’s nice to meet you. Amanda has told me a lot about you.” Mike extended his hand to Lee.

“Funny, she’s never mentioned you.” Lee took the offered hand.

Mike didn’t respond to that barb but turned to Billy. “Yes, thank you, Mr. Melrose. How did everything go? Did you get your man?

“Everything went according to plan. Both suspects are in custody. We also had a small bonus.” Turing his attention to Amanda, Billy smiled. “As usual, your instincts paid off. We arrested the bartender, also. Not for treason, but for drug trafficking. It turns out that he was serving more than just mixed drinks.”

“That’s great, sir. I’m glad I was able to help.”

“Mr. Melrose, I have a favor to ask. I’m sure you’d agree Amanda did a bang-up job here this week. We’re all very tired, Amanda especially. Would it be possible to meet tomorrow afternoon for the debriefing, instead of doing it tonight?” Mike asked.

“I think we can delay it until then. How bout noon?”

“Sir, if possible, can it be a little later? You see, we all came here together in my car, and after the guys pack up all the equipment, I have to drive them over to the hotel before I can head home. It would probably take about two hours, and I really would like to get some rest before I have to make the drive back to the hotel to pick up Mike, and then head to the agency to face the debrief team.” She was rambling again but was too tired to care.

“Amanda, you can leave the Jeep to your . . . associate here. I’ll take you home,” Lee piped in. “I’m sure you will agree that Amanda shouldn’t have to play chauffeur.”

“Lee, you don’t have to…”

“I know I don’t, but I want to.”

“Mike, do you mind? I really am tired.”

“No, go, Amanda, we can find our own way back. I can pick you up tomorrow, and we can drive to your office together.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, I’m sure.” Mike gave her another bear hug and whispered in her ear, “Mi baidh sibn.”

“Me to you. Oh, don’t forget, we drive on the right-hand side of the road.”

“Ha, ha, very funny. Good night, Pud, I’ll see you on the morrow.”

“Amanda, are you ready to leave?” Lee’s annoyance was easily detected in the tone of his voice, and she was anxious to put a stop to it.

“Sure. Let me just grab my purse.” She went backstage to gather up her things. On her way back to the bar, she overheard Mike talking to Lee.

“Look, Amanda is very important to me, and I hate to see her upset. If you do anything to hurt her, you’ll have to contend with me!”

He‘d been giving the same speech to every guy who was interested in her since they met, and it usually led to disaster. Trying to avoid a confrontation, she hurriedly walked up to the two men. “Okay, Lee, I’m ready.”

Chapter Ten:

‘Just who does this guy think he is?’ It was his job to protect Amanda from getting hurt. “Here, Amanda, put this on, it’s kind of chilly out.” Lee draped his suit jacket over her shoulders and pulled her close to his side as they left the club and headed to the Corvette.

“Thanks, I am a little cold.” She leaned her head on his shoulder as they walked out the door.

He gave her his hand and assisted her into the low-slung sports car. He watched her short skirt get shorter as she sat in the passenger seat and smiled.

“Lee?”

At the sound of her voice, he turned to face her. He could see the fatigue around her eyes. “Let’s get you home. It’s late. You’ve had a busy week.”

Amanda rested her head against the seat and closed her eyes.

They drove silently for about a half-mile, thoughts racing through his head. ‘Come on, Lee, you’re being foolish. This is your Amanda. Say something, anything. Don’t let her think you’re mad at her.’

“Amanda,” Lee started. Getting no response, he tried again. “Amanda, I just . . . ” Still not getting an answer, he turned his head to look at her.

He could always tell her feelings by looking in her beautiful brown eyes, although lately it seemed to be getting harder to read them. ‘Agency training,’ he thought, ‘does have its drawbacks.’

He chuckled softly when he saw she’d fallen asleep. The smooth ride relaxed him. He sighed and felt the tension drain from his shoulders. Amanda was safe and back with him where she belonged. He maneuvered the sports car with ease through the early morning traffic and parked directly in her driveway.

He turned to wake her but stopped short of doing so. She looked just like an angel. He hated to disturb her. He sat there for the next fifteen minutes, simply watching her sleep. Letting out a sigh, he gently shook her arm. “Amanda, we’re home. Amanda, come on, wake up.”

Her eyes drifted open, and she glanced around in confusion at first.

“Sleeping beauty, your castle awaits.”

“Oh, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to fall asleep on you.”

He couldn’t help thinking that was what he wanted most. To have her curled against his side, falling asleep, resting her head on his shoulder--preferably after a night of mind-blowing sex.

“Let’s get you inside.” She took his hand as she got out of the car, and when she swayed unsteadily, he wrapped his arm around her for support. “Here, let me help you.”

“It’s all right. I can make it.”

“You’re asleep on your feet. Please, let me help.”

“It’s not necessary. I can manage.”

“Amanda, please. You know I’d only worry about you.”

“Okay.”

They walked to the door together, Lee’s hand at its favorite place, the small of Amanda’s back. He unlocked the door and led her to the family room. “You sure you’re going to be all right?”

“Yeah, I’m sure. I’m just going to sit here and unwind a little bit before I head up to bed. Thanks again. Good night.”

He placed a kiss on her forehead as he helped her get settled on the couch. “Good night. Sleep well. I’ll talk to you in the morning.” He dropped her house keys on the coffee table and silently left.

Chapter Eleven: Saturday.

Amanda spent another night on the couch. The second time in a week she never made it upstairs to bed. Her back killed her, and her body felt stiff and achy all over. With a loud groan, she went upstairs to get ready for her day of debriefing. After she finished dressing, she called Lee. There was no answer at his place, except for the answering machine.

“Lee, hi. It’s me, Amanda. I wanted to say thanks again for the ride home, and I really think we need to talk. Look, I’m sorry if you’re upset, but I had no choice. I hate these machines. Call me, please.”

As she headed back downstairs, the phone rang. She grabbed it before the second ring finished, hoping it was Lee.

“Lee?” Amanda breathlessly answered.

“Sorry, Pud, it’s just me.”

“Hi, Mike. Everything okay?”

“I was just going to ask you the same thing. Your partner was awfully quiet last night, and I wanted to make sure you’re okay.”

“I’m fine. What time do you plan to come by and pick me up? I can take you to lunch, and we can talk before we head into the Agency.”

“Sounds good, only I’m buying. I’ll be there in fifteen minutes or so.”

“I’ll be ready. Bye.”

“Bye, Pud.”

True to his word, Mike rang the bell within fifteen minutes of their phone call. Randy’s was close to the Agency, so Amanda suggested they go there for lunch.

“Amanda, is everything all right?”

“Why do you ask?”

“Well, I’ve already polished off my lunch and half of yours, and I don’t think you’ve eaten anything.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“I can see that.” His voice now held traces of anger. “Did something happen? Did Lee do or say something?”

“No, I haven’t spoken to Lee since he dropped me off early this morning. I’m just tired. It’s probably all these late nights. I’m not used to it. What did you tell Dave and Paul?”

“I told them the truth.”

“Mike, you didn’t!” She realized she was shouting and lowered her voice. “If Billy finds out, he’ll enforce that secrecy document.”

“Relax, all I told them was that you were in a jam and it was resolved yesterday.”

“Good.”

“They’re leaving this afternoon. It seems they’re going on tour again.”

She was going to miss them. They never had enough time together. “Where to this time?”

“They’re starting in Canada, and then they’re off to Europe and Asia. Boy, I envy them. Picking up and going where the music takes them. Sometimes I think about how it would have been if I went with them. How bout you? Any regrets?”

“No. No regrets. Things may not have worked the way I planned, but I don’t regret anything.”

“I saw the look on your face last night when we were all together, and I’m worried he’s going to hurt you.”

“I’m all right, really. Lee would never do anything to hurt me, at least not intentionally. When do you have to leave?”

“Nice change of subject. I’ll leave it alone--for now. I’m booked on the seven p.m. flight to New York, with a connecting flight back to Ireland at midnight. I don’t have to go today, if you need me to stay.”

“You’re more than welcome to stay, but I don’t need you to. Things between Lee and me are a bit tense now, but that’s just because he was surprised last night. Once we talk and I explain the assignment to him, we’ll be back to normal. Well, normal for us anyway.”

“You sure, Pud?”

“I’m sure.”

“If you need me, don’t hesitate to call me. I’m never out of reach for you.”

“I know that, and I appreciate it. What do you say, ready to head over to the office and put this assignment to bed?”

Mike tossed some bills on the table to cover the tab, and they were off.

As she drove to the Agency, what she had to ask Mike to do next bothered her. She trusted him and hated to do this, but it was procedure. She pulled over to the side of the road. “Mike, I’m sorry to have to do this, but I can’t let you see where we’re going.” Handing him a blindfold, she continued, “This was the only way Mr. Melrose would let me bring you in. I thought it was better than having this debriefing down at the local police station.”

“Amanda, don’t fret. It’s not a big deal. Besides, if I were able to just walk into this ultra-secret spy center, it would ruin the mystique.”

“Very funny. You need to put the blindfold on now, or we’ll be late.”

Mike placed the blindfold on. “Hey, Pud, I bet you and Lee have some great times with this blindfold!”

“Michael Patrick Brennan, I can’t believe you just said that! You should know me better than that! Besides, I don’t kiss and tell.”

“Come on, Pud, you know I’m teasing. But still, think of the all the delicious possibilities.”

“Enough, we’re here anyway.” Amanda took Mike by the hand and led him into one of the interrogation rooms before removing the blindfold.  “Wait here. I’ll tell Billy we’re here. I’ll be right back.” She kissed him gently on the cheek and went to locate Billy.

Just as she stepped into the hallway, Beaman waylaid her and insisted they start hers now.

Chapter Twelve:

Lee spent the night driving around until the sun came up. He had a lot on his mind and ended up at his favorite spot in the whole city, the Jefferson Memorial. It was their place. He always did his best thinking there.

Realizing he overreacted, he decided to go back to Amanda’s and apologize for his awful behavior last night.

There were so many questions crowding his mind. Like how come she never told him she could sing? And who was that guy with her?  Mark . . . Matt . . . something like that. What sort of relationship did they have? Why did he feel he could touch her like that? More important, why did she let him?

He knew there was a logical explanation for the events of last night. All he had to do was give her a chance to tell him. He didn't then. He’d do that now.

Halfway to Arlington, he remembered they were scheduled for debriefing today. He executed an illegal u-turn and headed back to the city.

Chapter Thirteen:

Entering Interrogation, Lee noted that Beaman was conducting Amanda’s debriefing. He wanted some answers before he spoke to her. He checked the roster and saw that this Mike character was scheduled next.

Lee snuck into an empty observation room; from here, he would be privy to everything that went on in the room. He was anxious to find out exactly what had happened while he was away. Maybe he’d get a better idea of just who this guy was. He flipped on the audio monitor and took a seat directly in front of Mike, where he could look into his eyes while he answered the questions. Oh, how he wished he were conducting the interrogation, instead of Beaman.

Billy’s voice came through the speakers, loud and clear. “Mr. Brennan, I won’t see you anymore after I leave here and just wanted to say thanks again. We appreciate everything you did to help us.”

“You’re welcome. Mr. Melrose, could I ask a favor of you?”

“Sure, I’ll be happy to help you if possible.”

”Keep an eye on Amanda.”

‘Just what the hell did he mean by that?’

“Any time you think Amanda needs a friend, call me day or night. I would also like to be informed if anything should go wrong. I realize this is a dangerous profession, and I’d like to be told if anything happens to her.”

“I’ll add your number to her personnel file. Don’t worry about Amanda. Lee’s never let her down, and I don’t see him starting now, but if I feel she needs someone, I’ll call you personally,” Billy agreed.

Lee was glad his friend stood up for him. Jamming his fingers through his hair, he began to pace the small room.   Who the hell did this guy think he was? Amanda was his responsibility, and he would move heaven and earth to protect her. That was one promise he'd make sure Billy would never have to keep.

“Thank you. I know Amanda’s in good hands.”  Mike and Billy shook hands in a final farewell.

Lee listened intently as Beaman debriefed Mike. He didn't learn anything new. Basically, all this guy did was make music and waste two hours of Lee's time.

He opened the door slightly, scanning to make sure the coast was clear.  He still had his own debriefing to take care of, and he hurried to Billy’s office.

Chapter Fourteen:

Amanda paced back and forth while she waited for Mike to complete his session. She spun around when she heard the door open. “Mike, how did it go?”

“It went well, thanks”

“You ready to go?”

“Well, Pud, I know we planned to spend the rest of the day together until I left, but would you really be upset if I said I made other plans?”

“No, what plans?”

“Francine agreed to show me around D.C., and then she’s going to take me to the airport.”

“Francine?  When did you talk to Francine?”

“While I was waiting for my debriefing. She kept me entertained.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m sure.” He winked at her.

“Well then, I’ll say goodbye here and wish you a safe journey home. Call me when you get in, or else I’ll just worry.” Amanda kissed him on the cheek and hugged him. “Thanks for everything.”

“Ready to go, Mike? I’ve cleared my schedule for the rest of the day.”

“Sure thing, Francine, lets go! Bye, Pud. Love you.”

“Love you, too, Mike.”

She was glad this was over. Now she could go home and relax for the rest of the weekend.

She silently groaned when Mrs. Marston handed her a message from Lee. She was hoping to rest a little before speaking with him. Letting out a sigh, she trudged up the stairs to the Q-Bureau.

She paused for a moment to gather her thoughts before entering the office and gave herself a pep talk.  'Remember, you didn’t do anything wrong! He’s the one who behaved badly.’ With her resolve firmly in place, Amanda took another deep breath and opened the door.

Her partner’s dimpled smile and rich baritone voice greeted her, "Hi."

“Hi, yourself.” Amanda crossed the office and sat at her desk. That megawatt smile of his always got to her, but she was determined not to let him off so easily this time. She plucked a file from the bundle on her desk and scanned the document to avoid looking at Lee and that smile again.

“Amanda, did you and what's his name get everything settled?"

“Yes.” Her eyes remained glued to the file.

“Oh, good.” Lee walked over and sat on the edge of her desk. “I guess you made plans for the rest of the day with Mitch?”

Biting the inside of her cheek to keep from smiling, she replied,” No, Mike’s out with Francine. She’s dropping him at the airport later this evening.”

“Really?”

“Really." Now she couldn't help but grin. The relief he felt was clear in his voice.

Lee pulled the file out of her hands, causing her to finally look at him. His remorse was written all over his face. He held both of her hands, absently rubbing his thumbs across her knuckles. “Amanda?”

“Lee?" she replied, looking right into his beautiful hazel eyes.

“You’re not going to make this easy on me, are you?”

“Why should I? You certainly didn't make it easy on me last night." She tugged her hands free and picked up the folder again.

“You’re right, I behaved badly, and I’m sorry. You just surprised me, that’s all. I never expected to see you up on that stage, and then to hear you sing like that. Wow! Then . . . that . . . man put his hands on you . . . I’m sorry, it just made me mad. I couldn’t wait to see you, hold you, and I find that bozo with his hands on you. My brain just went wacko. It’s no excuse for the way I behaved. I should’ve trusted you and Billy. I really am sorry.”

“You'd think you would after three years of working together. Not to mention how long you’ve worked with Billy.”

He cupped her chin, gently forcing her to meet his eyes. “You’re right. I know Billy wouldn’t be careless, and I do trust you . . . with my life. There’s no excuse. . .”

He pouted. It was adorable. Amanda never saw him pout before. He looked just like Phillip or Jamie when she had to discipline them. She decided to let him off the hook.

She smiled at him and, in that instant, forgave him. After all, she was just as hurt and upset every time she watched one of his women touch him. She never let it show, of course, but she was jealous of every one of them.

“You have nothing to worry about. Mike's more like a big brother. I’ve known him since I was fourteen years old. There was never anything but friendship between us, and neither one of us ever wanted anything different. So you see, there is no reason for you to be jealous."  She laid her hand across his cheek and smiled. “I missed you, too.”

“I’m not jeal . . . ” Lee shrugged, looking sheepish. “Let me make it up to you.”

"What do you have in mind?”

“Rock Creek Park is hosting the summer concert series, and I thought we could head over there and listen to some music, then dinner at Spencer’s. If that’s okay with you?”

“Love to,” Amanda quickly agreed.

”Pick you up at seven.”

“Sounds good.”

Lee stood, pulling her up as well. His arms wrapped around her waist, and he pulled her closer to him. He leaned down and stopped just short of his target. Running her hands up his chest and locking them behind his head, she tangled her fingers in his soft hair, encouraging him to continue. His hold tightened, and he kissed her senseless. The need for air quickly ended the steamy kiss. She clung to him until her legs were steady enough to support her.

“Wow, I like the way you apologize.”

“I aim to please." Lee winked and released his hold.

“I guess I better go. You need to get back to work if you’re going to pick me up by seven.”

“I can get twice as much done if you stay and help.”

“If I stay, you’ll get nothing done, and I’m looking forward to this evening. Besides, I’m still on vacation.”

Lee kissed her once more. “Go, now, before I change my mind.”

“Yeah, I better.” Amanda was breathless again. “See you at seven.”

“I’m looking forward to it.”

End