- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Lee and Amanda aren’t mine, as are none of the original SMK characters… and neither is the Kissing chant. I don’t know who made up the Kissing chant.

Timeline: 1983 and beyond.
K-I-S-S-I-N-G

Lee and Amanda,
Sitting in a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love,


Amanda smiled to herself as she drove home with the groceries. It was the Saturday after Lee had locked the Q-Bureau door, keeping the two of them safe from prying eyes. Lee had kissed her, really kissed her. She’d sought the moment for so long before it happened, that when it did, she knew she would kiss him back. They would no longer deny the love they felt for each other.

He held her close to him for many long, uncountable seconds. The smell of him seeped into her soul. She’d learn to pick out the scent of Chaps a long time ago. She could find him anywhere in the IFF building just by a whiff of his cologne.

When she first met Lee, she wasn’t looking for love from him. She wanted to be helpful to him, because with the boys growing so fast, she had to stretch every dollar as far as possible, and a job working with the Agency would help

Lee was very reluctant to have her help, unless he needed a babysitter, or someone to take care of his fish while he was on vacation. When she was mistaken as Scarecrow and nearly killed…she had almost resigned from the Agency right then, but something kept making her willing to help Lee whenever he asked.

The next year, things started to slowly change. Emily Farnsworth had hinted strongly about the two of them being a pair, but Amanda had ignored it, and Lee never really mentioned his feelings, even after that adventure at Geisterschloss.

When Lee pretended to burn out, she knew she had strong feelings for him. She told herself that the two of them were from different worlds. It would never work. He was still dating a lot of women, so she left her feelings hidden and concentrated on the job and her family.

She thought back a few weeks, to Buck’s masquerade party. That was the first time she knew for sure that Lee had feelings for her, and she acknowledged her own for him.,. She was starting to get the message, but yesterday, she knew for sure when he held her close to him. It felt good.

Then comes marriage,

Lee had gone to his apartment after leaving IFF. He wanted to brainstorm in a quiet place with no interruptions, but he didn’t want to do it in a place where everyone would watch him. Amanda had saved his life just days before, screaming his name, and now she was gone. Stolen from him when he wasn’t looking.

He would give anything to find Amanda, even his life. If Adi had hurt her, he couldn’t go on. He just couldn’t. She was everything he was looking for. If he had to go out on a solo mission to find her, get her back, he would. And much as he hated to do it, he’d have to push Nightcrawler to help him as much as possible.

Oh, God, I know I don’t go to Church, don’t pray, but PLEASE let her be okay. I need her so much. For the first time in his life, Lee was scared. Perhaps terrified was a better word for it.

He had been building toward making a life for the two of them. He knew what was available in his pension, and his life insurance. He was making sure that if anything happened to him, she would get everything. He hadn’t stopped to think about losing her.

She’ll be okay, Lee. Think positively. he told himself.

Lee suddenly thought of Dotty and the boys, and the fact that Billy planned to lie to them. Lee knew his boss had to, but still, someone should check on them in person, not just on the phone

Was he the only one who cares about finding her? About nailing Adi Birol for what he’d done? When he had Amanda safely back with her family, he was going to pulverize the man.

Lee vaguely wondered if Billy or Pfaff had any idea how much Amanda meant to him. Sure, they would recognize that the two of them were close friends. Most partners were. And whether the Agency classified her as a full agent or not, he already did.

Lee decided the next time he was alone with her, he’d ask her to marry him. He knew the jeweler he’d use for the ring. That was, if she wanted to marry him. What if she didn’t? Would she say no? She couldn’t say no. Even if he had to beg her, he was going to marry Amanda King. Should he ask the boys first? He only knew them a little. Asking the boys would have to be second. Or telling them would. But he’d be happy to have them as his sons.

First things first, Stetson. Let’s find a way to get her back.

Then comes a baby,
In a baby carriage.


"’Manda, come quick…he’s going for it!" Lee called to his wife, who was busy in the kitchen baking a batch of cookies.

"All right, I’m coming," Amanda said, wiping her hands on a hand towel as she met Lee in the living room to see their son Michael take his first steps.

"Here he goes…come on, come to Daddy," Lee encouraged his almost fourteen-month-old son.

Tentatively, the baby took a lead off the couch and walked the five steps it took him to reach Lee. Michael giggled among the hurrahs and hugs from his parents.

"Wow, I would have hated to miss that. You should get the video camera," Amanda suggested.

"Okay, keep an eye on him for me," Lee said as he practically flew up the stairs to their bedroom, where the camera was.

"Lee, he’s going again!" Amanda called.

"I’ll be right down…just changing the cassette," Lee hollered back.

"You know what?" Amanda asked.

Lee shook his head in the negative as he arrived in the living room again.

" Who would have thought we’d make it this far? We’ve got a home, a family…and a batch of cookies burning!" Amanda left him with that thought, and ran into the kitchen.

"Yea, Michael, who would’ve thought?" Lee asked the baby who continued to practice his walking, with the occasional aid of the living room furniture.

It was February of 1990 when Michael decided to take his first steps. Lee thought back over his and Amanda’s past. They had been through a lot in the past, and a lot since their marriage, but the bonds of love were as strong as that February day in 1987.

He never regretted letting Amanda into his life. Well, maybe he had at one point, but, no longer. He knew he was very lucky to be married to her. She helped to balance him out when he wanted to do something on impulse, and he liked to think he did his share in keeping Amanda sane and out of danger.

"Are the cookies okay?" he called to her.

"This batch is done for," Amanda said a bit sadly, "But it won’t take me long to make more."

"Sorry."

"Well don’t be. I’ll be back out there to watch Michael some more in a minute."

Lee set up the camera on its tripod, and then set it to Record. As promised, Amanda arrived after a few minutes and watched with her husband as Michael walked, fell and walked some more.

…And they DID live happily ever after.