- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Most of the characters in this story are WB’s and JMS’s, but
certainly not mine. This is for entertainment only.

Rated PG-13, as always.
A/N: It was never said, so I believe John was born in May, 2219. It’s
now May, 2267.
“Mom, are ALL those presents for Daddy?”

“You know that they are, David.”

“Is he going to open them soon?”

“Not until after dinner.”

“Maybe . . . maybe he can open one right away?”

“No, I think he should wait. Would you like to help me finish with the
potatoes?”

“Those are my favorite!” David followed his mother out of the living room
and into the kitchen. Patiently, he sat on the stool and waited for his
turn to help his mother mash them. She added milk and butter slowly,
while he stirred the mixture with great effort.

“They are your father’s favorite, too.” Delenn stood behind her son,
making sure he didn’t fall from his perch. There was no need to worry,
however, he was very careful in both his posture and the all important
responsibility of stirring.

***** B5*****

Later that night. . .

“Delenn, that was a fabulous meal. You say that you and David prepared
everything yourselves?” John wiped his mouth and put his napkin on the
table.

“Yes, we did,” their little boy interjected and smiled proudly.

Delenn smiled, “As he said.”

“I don’t think I could eat another thing.” The ISA’s president stood,
clearing his plate. Dutifully, David followed his father to the kitchen
with his dishes.

“You will be missing out on your dessert, then.” Delenn joined her husband
and son in the kitchen. Setting down her dishes, she turned to the
refrigeration unit and removed a larger, round, covered dish.

“You didn’t have to . . .” John began.

“But Daaaaad, it’s your birthday!”

“True.” David, he thought, ever the voice of reason.

“And you have to have cake to open presents!”

“Ooooh, I get presents?” John’s eyebrows lifted comically.

“Uh, huh, me and Mom wrapped some up.” David’s gaze focused on his mother
as he led John back to the dining room table. “Come on.”

John returned to his chair at the table, David quickly climbing into his
lap. Delenn sat to their right and ceremoniously removed the cover from
the dish. John gasped. “You didn’t.”

“I did,” Delenn said with pride.

“Cheesecake?” John leaned over to inspect the rich dessert.

“Cherry cheesecake.” She added the last with a smile.

“We tasted it at the shop,” David informed him, the memory making him want
that cheesecake all the more..

John’s eyes widened. “I didn’t know there was a shop on Minbar that sold
Terran desserts.”

“With all the Rangers from Earth on Minbar now, certain things are
changing in the business district, John. Entrepreneurs are opening many
types of shops one wouldn’t have found just five years ago.”

“Wow. Let’s dig into this.”

“Singing first, Daddy!” David insisted, and began belting out a slightly
off-key, but deeply heartfelt version of “Happy Birthday to You.”

*****B5*****

Slightly later on…

After the dishes had been cleared, and the kitchen cleaned up, it was time
for presents. David was so relieved, he thought they’d never get around
to the good stuff. For awhile he’d started to think that the gifts would
have to wait until morning and that was ages away.

“Well, what is this?” John shook the first package handed to him. The
item was bulky, but lightweight. He unwrapped it to find a model of a
White Star ship, which seemed to have been painted by a young hand. “Did
you do this, David?”

“Yep.”

“And I didn’t know about it? How did you manage that?”

“Mommy helped. Here’s another one, open this one now, Daddy.” David
thrust a second package at his father.

“Oh, okay.” This one was light, like the last one, but smaller, and round.
It turned out to be another model, this one of a Starfury. “Oh, I really
like this one. This one’s going with me to the office tomorrow.”

David beamed at him. “Really??”

“Oh, you bet.”

“Mommy helped me with that one, too.”

“It’s wonderful.”

“And now, this one, that David picked out.” Delenn handed him a wrapped
cube.

A mug stating “World’s Best Daddy” was revealed this time. “Now, I’ve
never had one of these, before. Thank you, son.”

“So, you liked everything?” David asked.

“Absolutely. But, I think you’re overdue for bath time. You go pick out
your PJs and I’ll start the water for you in a minute.”

“Okay, Daddy.” David ran off toward his bedroom.

“John, I do have one more gift for you, but it’s in the bedroom. We can
open it after David’s in bed.”

“Mmmm, I like the sound of that.”

“I thought you would . . . it’s more for me than for you, but I know
you’ll like it,” she promised.

He waggled his eyebrows at her. “I’ll be back in two minutes. Have I
left yet?.”

Delenn giggled as she watched her husband rush off in anticpation of what
lay ahead for the two of them that evening.

The End