- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters in this story are WB’s and Shoot the Moon’s, but certainly not mine. This is for entertainment only.

13 Months post marriage. No secrets for the last 6 months.
“Amanda…wake up, Amanda.”

I don’t want to, Mother. It’s nice, right here.

“Her eyes are fluttering, I’ll get the doctor.”

Mother, don’t get the doctor. I am so comfortable, warm.

“I’ll need everyone to clear the room.”

Go away, doctor. Let me sleep.

Amanda was not allowed to continue her slumber. Her eyes were opened by
someone and stabbed with the light of a small flashlight. She weakly raised an
arm to ward off the beam. There was pain in her lower extremities, but she
couldn’t pinpoint the exact cause. A man she presumed was her doctor poked and
prodded her until he was satisfied that she was awake.

“Do you know who you are?” the doctor asked.

“Amanda King.” She replied easily. She noticed the doctor wasn’t wearing a
NEST ID badge. This logic led her to believe she was not injured at work or
while on a case.

“And why are you here?”

“I was hurt. In a…in a car accident,” she struggled to speak, her demeanor a
confused one. Her throat was dry. Amanda truly didn’t know why she was there
and was guessing so that he would stop asking questions.

“And when did this accident occur?” the doctor inquired further.

“Today. Early.” She hazarded a guess.

“Very good.” He said and left after marking something on her chart.
“I’ll be back soon, if you need anything call for the nurse and don’t get up on
your own.”

“Hi, I’m you’re nurse, Suzanne,” the woman who entered told her.

“Hello.” Amanda said back. She watched as the nurse puttered around. Amanda
used the opportunity to look about her hospital room, which was a private one.
It was nighttime-the blinds to her room’s window were open, but the glass was
dark. There was a cart at the end of her bed, but she couldn’t see what was in
it. The green pinpoints that remained from the doctor’s flashlight on her eyes
weren’t helping her to focus.

“Look who’s waking up.” Suzanne had stopped at the end of Amanda’s bed and
looked down into the cart.

“Who, me?” Amanda asked.

“Your daughter is awake too,” Suzanne said, picking up a bundle of blankets
from the cart.

“What?” Amanda asked even as she was handed the infant.

“Your baby,” Suzanne reinforced, “Let me get your husband for you.”

“Husband?” Amanda asked, but Suzanne had left too quickly. Amanda knew she
was in trouble. She couldn’t remember very much, just the basics like her name,
and that she’d had amnesia before, but then, it had only lasted a day.

She wondered who her husband was, and tried to check her hospital bracelet,
but the lights in the room were too dim. The baby looked up at her, and made a
gurgling coo. To Amanda, the child looked like Dotty, which didn’t give her a
clue as to the father’s identity.

Think, Amanda, what’s the last thing you remember? The case she worked on
with Lee, where he was pretending to be a burn out was the final moment she
could recall. Why couldn’t she recollect getting married again? Did she get
back with Joe, and if not, who? Dean, perhaps?

After a few minutes, Lee entered the room. He looked tired and seemed to
favor his left leg slightly as he walked. His blue jeans and sweatshirt were
starting to look rumpled. Still, he smiled at her.

“Hi,” she said, not sure what else to say. Why had they sent in her partner,
and not her husband?

“How are you feeling?” Lee asked, sitting in a chair to the left of her bed.

“Lee, what happened to me?” she demanded to know.

“Uh, there was a car accident this morning. I was driving your car and I hit
a patch of black ice. We spun into a guardrail and I was knocked out after the
driver's side window shattered. I don’t even know exactly how I got this,” Lee
held up his left hand, swathed in bandages, “When I woke up you were saying my
name and rubbing my cheek. We weren’t going very fast, but you still hit your
head on the right side. Luckily, someone saw our accident and called for help,”
Lee tried to summarize.

“Then what?” she unconsciously reached up to her right temple, withdrawing
her hand when the touch made her wince.

“You lost consciousness right after the baby was born. The doctor said you
would need a lot of encouragement to wake up. Your mother’s been here almost
the whole time, talking to you,” he explained.

“What were we doing out that early in the morning?”

“You were in labor. I had to get you to the hospital. I was doing the best
I could,” Lee tried to explain, but his voice cracked.

“She’s all right, isn’t she?” Amanda asked, studying the baby’s face again
and caressing her cheek. She was frustrated that she didn’t remember doing any
of the things Lee said she had.

“Yes, fine.” Lee nodded, grinning for a moment, “One hundred percent
healthy.”

“Well, then, quit beating yourself up over it. I’ll be fine too. Why don’t
you hold her?” Amanda offered, trying to ignore the memory block.

Lee’s expression changed to one mixed with desire and love, “She looks so
comfortable with you.”

“She does, doesn’t she?” Amanda said, looking from Lee to the expertly
bundled baby. A strange thought came to her as she saw Lee’s chin and strong
jaw line reflected in the newborn’s face.

“Are you okay, Amanda?” he asked when her countenance changed to one of
confusion.

“I don’t think so. Lee…the nurse said she was sending in my husband.
That’s…you?” she inquired. She didn’t know how to react if he said yes. She
wasn’t expecting him to be the one whom she’d married. But it was appearing to
be more so all the time.

“Yes, it’s me. And you…you don’t remember.” Lee shook his head wondering
what else could possibly go wrong. He finally caught on, asking, “What do you
remember?”

“Th-the case where you were supposed to be a burn out. I know we solved it.
But I can’t recall anything after that.” Amanda blushed at the thought of Lee
having married her. The last she remembered, she still got on his nerves, and
he was still a ladies’ man. She wondered how that had changed.

“Hmm, that was three years ago. You don’t remember the Stemwinder case? Or
Nick Grant?” Lee probed. Stemwinder had been the most serious case they had
ever worked together, and the case had been on the heels of them falling in
love. The Grant case had taken place the week of their wedding. He hoped, by
mentioning two cases that had been major milestones for them, that he could
trigger a memory.

She shook her head in denial, “I was guessing, when the doctor asked what
happened to me this morning. I just went with what happened the first time I
had amnesia. But I told him I was Amanda King, not Stetson. He didn’t question
that.”

“He did mention that. I told him it’s because you use both interchangeably
at work.” Lee explained.

“Was it a normal birth?”

“Yes, not a C-section. If you had passed out first, they would have done
one, but the timing just sort of worked out.”

She nodded and turned to worrying that she couldn’t recall the last three
years. How would she react to seeing Phillip and Jamie? They were much older
now. It was too much for her to think about, and she started to sob, trying not
to startle the baby.

“Here, let me take her. I’m sorry, Amanda. This is my fault.” Lee stood,
gently taking the baby from her.

“I wouldn’t say that,” Amanda whispered between sobs, “I just need to figure
this out.”

“Okay. I’ll have the nurse move the baby into the nursery.”

“I think that would be good. I am kind of worn out. And Lee?”

“Yes?”

“What’s her name?”

“I was going to wait for you to fill out the birth certificate, but the boys
helped us pick a name a few weeks ago. We all decided, finally, on Megan, but
it’s negotiable.” He told her

“I like it,” Amanda gave him a wan smile. The nurse happened to enter the
room, and Lee talked with her about moving the baby to the nursery and giving
Amanda some time to herself.

Once Lee and the nurse were gone, Amanda cried into a pillow that had been
supporting her. She tried not to move and especially not to bend over. She
might not remember giving birth but her body certainly did. She sobbed for a
time, not really sure why she was so sad. She suspected some of her depression
was post partum, and the rest of it was frustration at having amnesia.

When Amanda calmed down, she thought over what she had learned since she woke
up. Lee was her husband now and a doting father. She wondered how long they’d
been married, and what the boys thought of him.

She smiled at the realization that Lee loved her, and felt the pit in her
stomach relax every time she imagined what it might be like to kiss him. She
wanted to know more about their life together, as soon as possible.

“Can I come in?” Dotty poked her head into the room after a quick knock on
the door.

“Please.” Amanda sat up, “How long has it been since Lee left?”

“About half an hour,” Dotty said, taking a seat in the chair next to her.

“What did he tell you?” she asked the older woman

“He said that you were having trouble with your memory. That you lost the
last three years. Is he right?” Dotty asked.

“That’s about it, yes. It’s a scary feeling, Mother. I don’t remember my
wedding, my pregnancy, or the delivery…none of it,” Amanda confirmed.

“I am sure it will all come back,” Dotty assured her.

“You really think so?”

“I really do. Really.”

“Then, I’m sure it will, too.” Amanda felt better having her mother’s
reassurance and support.

“I have to tell you, the boys are in love with Megan, and so am I. She is
the cutest, most perfect baby girl. I’m glad she’s been moved to the nursery.
I can look in on her there as much as I like.” Dotty gushed over her
granddaughter.

“I’m glad. Where are the boys? I want to see them.”

“They’ve been here since they got out of school this afternoon, so Lee took
them for dinner. They should be back soon.”

“Mother? Where is Joe in all of this? Is he still working in Estocia?”

“No, dear. He’s been remarried for two years. Lovely woman-Carrie. He’s
working in D.C. now, and he sees the boys regularly. He usually spends two
weekends a month with them, and most Friday nights.” Dotty tried to sum up Joe’s
interaction with his sons, but it wasn’t easy, “And don’t worry about Joe and
Lee getting along. Lee knows how you feel about Phillip and Jamie seeing their
father. He actually goes out of his way to be very pleasant with Joe.”

“I’m glad they get along.” Amanda smiled weakly, “Do the boys get along okay
with Lee, too?”

“It’s amazing. Jamie didn’t seem to like him at first, but Phillip’s always
been okay with him and now Jamie is, too.”

“How long have I been married?” Amanda inquired.

“A little bit more than a year. We didn’t find out until six months ago,
however.” Dotty replied with a grin.

“Really?” Amanda wondered why she and Lee would keep it a secret.

“Something about national security. You really should ask Lee about it, but,
I understand.” Dotty patted her daughter’s arm encouragingly.

“No kidding.” Amanda looked down at the bed and tried to assimilate what her
mother had told her.

“Lee should be back from the restaurant with the boys soon. I’ll check and
see if they’re back, and send the boys in if they’re waiting.” Dotty said as she
stood.

“Mother, wait…what have they been told about my memory?”

“Lee said he would tell them at dinner. We didn’t see a reason not to. Are
you okay with that?”

“I think that was a good idea,” Amanda agreed.

Dotty leaned over, kissing her daughter’s forehead. Amanda pulled her into a
hug.

“If you need anything, I’m going to be cooing at the beautiful newborn some
more,” Dotty assured her.

Amanda nodded, watching her mother go. When the boys didn’t enter right
away, she decided it would be a good time to visit the bathroom and called in
Suzanne for assistance.

The nurse helped Amanda walk, having forgotten what it was like after labor.
After Amanda finished, she washed her hands and then wiped the tears from her
face.

The nurse left and she resettled into her bed, feeling calm and refreshed.
She decided that whatever happened next, she could handle it. Dotty had been
very helpful with filling in some of the blanks.

“Can we come in, Mom?” Phillip asked as he and Jamie stood in the doorway.

“Sure, I’ve been waiting for you. How about a couple of hugs from my guys?”
Amanda sat up and invited them in.

“Are you going to be okay?” Jamie asked.

“What? You mean, because I can’t remember some things? I’m sure it’ll come
back.” Amanda said.

“How sure?” Phillip asked.

“Pretty sure. You two worrying about it won’t help, okay?” Amanda tried to
answer them without making them afraid, but it was difficult when she didn’t
have all the answers.

“When do you get out of here?” Jamie wanted to know next.

“The doctor already said, day after tomorrow. Geez,” Phillip shook his head
at his brother.

“Phillip, don’t pick on him. Are you wearing cologne?” Amanda had noticed
how nice he smelled right after he was all the way in her room. Then she
realized that he was now fifteen, not twelve, so it was probably for a girl and
not her.

“Dad gave me some. You did say it was okay if I wore a little. Hygiene and
all.” Phillip nodded as he talked.

Amanda grinned and wondered what her son’s definition of “a little” was. She
knew that only practice would make perfect.

“It’s for Nancy Majors. All they do is smooch, anyway,” Jamie revealed.

“But you can’t stand her,” Amanda was confused. The last she heard, Nancy
Majors had “cooties.”

“Mom, that was a long time ago,” Phillip said with a shrug.

“So, what do you think of your baby sister?” Amanda asked.

“She’s so small. But, she looks like you. She’s cute,” Jamie volunteered
his opinion first.

“Well, I think she looks like Lee. She has his eyes, you know. It’ll be
awesome when we get Megan home. That’s her name, right?” Phillip asked to be
sure.

“Yes, that’s her name. I’m glad you two are happy about her.” Amanda
answered.

“Hey, guys, can Billy and I steal your mom for a few minutes?” Lee had opened
the door just enough to admit his head.

Amanda jumped a little when she saw her section chief brush past Lee into the
room, joining her sons. A few seconds later, she understood that it must be
fine since her family knew she was married to Lee. They must also know who
Billy was in relation to her.

“Okay, but we want another chance before visiting hours are up,” Phillip
negotiated with Lee.

“Agreed,” Lee said as the boys filed out of the room past him.

The section chief was dressed more casually than Amanda could recall in the
past. He was wearing a white polo shirt, blue jeans, and white sneakers. She
wasn’t counting on her memory for much, but it was all she had to go on.

“Hello, Amanda. Congratulations on that beautiful baby I saw in the
nursery.” Billy greeted her with a wide grin.

“Hello, sir. Thank you,” she said.

Billy’s demeanor was serious, “I wish this was only a social visit.”

Amanda looked at Lee and he was grim, too, studying the floor.

“What’s going on,” Amanda asked, “Have I compromised a case?”

“No. You are the case,” Billy said.

“Meaning what?” she asked.

“As a matter of protocol, whenever an agent is hospitalized, we request a
blood sample for our own testing purposes, even if your own doctor doesn’t
require a test. Dr. Kelford tested the blood and found a very high number of
white cells. He sent your blood sample and his results to Col. McJohn who
confirmed Dr. Kelford’s suspicion. You have a virus, and we're certain it's the
cause of your amnesia.” Billy told her as gently as he could.

“Is it fatal?” Amanda asked, “And since it’s a virus, will the baby have it?
When did I get infected?”

“Amanda, it’s okay,” Lee said, standing next to her bed and taking her hand
in his, “It’s not deadly. And the first thing we did was to test Megan. As I
told you, she’s one hundred percent healthy.”

“As far as the time of your infection…it must have been before you went into
delivery…possibly on your way to the hospital, or in the ER. We know you were
conscious when you arrived, and for Megan’s delivery, which was half an hour
after you were stabilized. After that, you passed out,” Billy said.

“What do we do now?" Amanda asked, wanting to resolve the problem quickly.

“Aside from investigating the medical staff that were here when you arrived
in the ER, there’s not much we can do." Billy told her, “We’re trying to find
out if this is an old virus or a new one. Both Dr. Kelford and Col. McJohn have
ideas. They are trying to confirm them, or rule them out.”

“I really hate this,” Amanda frowned.

“Dammit, Billy, I wish there was something more I could do!” Lee vented his
frustration.

“There is something,” Amanda piped up. “Answer questions when I ask them.
At least I can try and figure out what I’ve forgotten.”

“I’ll get back to you two when I know more. For the time being, concentrate
on being parents.” Billy grinned slyly and took his leave from the agents.

Lee gently squeezed Amanda’s hand, and followed Billy out of the room, a scowl
on his face. Amanda remembered that scowl, and she knew the Scarecrow was not
going to let Billy out of his sight without probing for more information on her
case. She was happily surprised by the protectiveness he felt for his family.
There was no doubt he was comfortable being a family man.

The next day, Francine visited. Amanda was resting after Lee had dropped in
on her and their daughter that morning. She didn’t know Francine was going to
stop in until her room door opened.

“Knock, knock. Can I come in?” Francine said, unusually ebullient.

“Sure,” Amanda nodded. She still remembered their old rivalry and waited to
see how Francine wanted to go this round.

“You and Lee are all the gossip at work, you know.” Francine mentioned first.

“We are?”

“Well, with Lee having the accident and then the baby being born and, well,
Billy put Lee on a forced vacation, length undetermined. Then there’s this
virus thing Billy has me on. Top priority.” Francine filled her in.

“Have there been any developments?” Amanda asked.

“Nothing yet.” Francine finally stopped her rushed talking, waiting a few
seconds before she asked, “Where is Lee, anyway?”

“He went home about ten minutes ago. Something about last minute baby
preparations.”

“How do you do that, Amanda? Have babies, I mean. Me, I could never see it
happening.”

“I must have a gift for it,” Amanda kidded Francine, who didn’t realize it
was a joke, “I don’t even remember this labor.”

“Yes, well, I’ll leave the babies to you, and just take part in cooing at
her.” Francine said.

“I’m sure Megan will appreciate that.” Amanda grinned. Francine only stayed
a few more minutes before deciding to peek in on Megan in the nursery.

Lee brought Amanda and Megan home two days later, in the middle of the
afternoon. The staff at the Agency had sent a multitude of flowers, balloons
and candy to the new parents. The boys were soon enlisted to haul in the
baskets of goodies.

Dotty was not home, and the only clue Lee and Amanda had to her whereabouts
was that the boys said she went out to run errands. Amanda thought it odd that
her mother would not be home when they arrived.

With the chore of unloading the car complete, the boys were released to finish
fine tuning their skateboards. They had been tinkering in the backyard when
their mother, stepfather, and sister arrived home.

Amanda adored the decorations in the nursery. The walls were painted lavender
and the crib was white. A small chest of drawers was against one wall, a
changing table was next to it, and a rocking chair sat in the center of the
room, waiting to be put to use. The decorations on the walls included clouds,
bunnies, ducklings, and lambs. A mobile of teddy bears was hanging over the
crib.

Megan fussed during the transfer from car seat to crib, but once there, she
settled down. Amanda struggled a little to remove the warm coat and hat they
had put on her to keep out the chill of winter. Getting the receiving blanket
off of her had been the easiest part of the transition.

Lee watched the two of them from the doorway, not content to leave his daughter
alone until he was sure she was comfortable, but trying to keep out of Amanda’s
way, also. He was certain two people trying to do the job would only create
more havoc.

“She sure didn’t want to be disturbed from her nap,” Lee commented once he and
Amanda returned downstairs, “I don’t think we’ll have trouble hearing her when
she wants something.”

“If you think that’s loud, wait till her first bath.” Amanda smiled as she gave
the warning, “Phillip and Jamie both cried the first few times I bathed them.”

“I don’t mind if she cries. I’m glad she’s here,” he told her. “It’s exciting
to be a dad. Now all I have to do is get Billy to stop grinning.”

“Knowing how you used to be, I would say it’s going to be a while,” Amanda
teased him. She walked with him into the den and they sat together on the couch.
“Have we heard anything else about this ‘memory virus’ I seem to have?”

“Just that it isn’t an airborne virus. No cure.” Lee said.

“Damn.”

“My thoughts, exactly.” He turned on the couch so that he was face to face with
her, “Amanda, I need your help.”

“Sure.” She agreed.

“I, um. Well, since this memory thing happened, I’m not sure what to do, I
mean, how to behave. I’d just like to know where I stand.” He looked at the
couch momentarily and then at her, his eyes all puppy dog pleading.

“Where you stand? Looks like you’re sitting next to me,” she pointed out.

Lee smiled, but was nervous again, “You know what I mean. With you. You don’t
remember that we’re married. It must be awkward for you. I don’t know if I
would be wrong or right to start devouring you here on the couch.”

“Gee, I, I hadn’t even thought about that. But you have been awful good,” she
commended him.

“My point is, I need to touch you, I’m your husband, and I’m kind of used to it.
But, I don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable, either. I couldn’t handle it
if you pushed me away now,” Lee admitted. “We’ve spent so much time getting
close.”

“Really?” she was surprised, “How long did that actually take?”

“Well, umm, the last case you remember was the Spring of ’85. I think it was
another year or so before we admitted our feelings for each other, and we shared
our first kiss,” he said.

“That is a lot of time.” Amanda wondered how exactly they became so close,
given their history that she could remember. She slid closer to him.

“I know. I think it was my fault. I’m a slow learner,” Lee accused himself.
His voice faltered a bit as she moved next to him and her thigh touched his.

“I think I’d like to try one of those kisses you keep telling me about, when you
remind me of our past.” Over the last two days, he'd done his best to let her
know how their relationship had been, without implying that she still had to
feel the same way.

She didn’t hesitate now to lean into his embrace as he did the same, closing
the remaining distance between them on the couch. He kissed her on the lips,
briefly and pulled back. Her right hand moved from his chest to his cheek,
pulling him close for another kiss.

Amanda had been unsure of her “first kiss” with Lee, but that first one was only
a peck, and she needed a deeper kiss to see where his true feelings for her lay.
Having pulled him close for a second kiss was boldness on her part, because she
didn’t know how it would measure up for Lee.

She had imagined kissing him before, but now it was real. A tangible memory for
her. She felt at once that he was an incredible kisser, and was glad she had
him for herself. What changed him, she asked herself again. It was almost
unreal that for as often as she dreamed of being his, she was married to him
now.

This one kiss told her many things. He wanted her, but he wasn’t overzealous
and that was love, not lust. To her, that meant she wasn’t a one-time “girl” of
his, but forever his wife. She wasn’t going to hide her feelings anymore and
knew deep down that she didn’t have to with him.

Lee had started with a quick kiss on purpose. He wanted Amanda to know that the
tempo of their relationship was up to her. Although he knew it had always been
that way, she didn’t until the moment she brought his lips to hers for the
second time.

He still regretted the last case she remembered was the one where he’d hit her.
Even play acting, he hadn’t meant to hurt her either physically or emotionally,
and from her shocked look he would never forget he’d achieved both in less than
a second. If only this kiss could make up for his mistake… he only wanted to
protect her now.

He felt his heart speed up and realized he was struggling for breath. He hadn’t
realized how long the kiss had endured, and realized it was time for a break.

“Would that be okay? Once in a while?” Lee asked when they came up for air.

She smiled and nodded, “I just, well, I’ve wanted to tell you this for the past
day or so, but the hospital didn’t seem like a good place. I’ve loved you for a
long time, Lee. Longer than I know I admitted to you years ago. I think I’m
okay with affectionate kisses and being held.” Amanda told him.

She was certain she couldn’t have a better partner to work with and was glad he
was there to help with what she was going through; how torturous waiting another
year to admit their love was, she couldn’t imagine. However, she would have
typically taken the relationship slowly. It was as if her life was
fast-forwarded, and she had skipped the birth pangs of the relationship, going
straight to the physical aspect.

“What about, um, in the bedroom?” Lee inquired further. He knew they had to
wait a couple of months before they could make love again, but he was including
in his question the possibility of just sleeping in the same bed.

“Lee? Amanda?” Dotty’s voice interrupted them before Amanda could answer. She
gave Lee a shocked look. Her brain tried to tell her to throw herself into the
chair across from him, but then her body reminded her that she had just given
birth recently. Amanda didn’t move. Finally, she remembered that Dotty would
be used to seeing her daughter with Lee and calmed down. She mouthed ‘later,’ to
him, on the subject of the bed, and turned her attention to her mother.

Lee, for his part, wasn’t paying any attention to her frantic fidgeting and
merely nodded his head when she let him know the bedroom was still an open
topic.

“In here,” Amanda called to Dotty, still comfortably encircled by Lee’s arm.

“Where is that beautiful baby?” Dotty demanded to know, thinking nothing of Lee
and Amanda being so close to each other.

“She’s upstairs, taking a little nap,” Lee explained.

“Ahh, well, as long as it’s a little one.” Dotty feigned impatience, and her
daughter and son-in-law laughed.

“Where did you go?” Amanda asked.

“Oh, I had a few things to do before you got back. I told the boys to tell
you.” The older woman replied.

“All they said was errands. They were probably only half listening.” Amanda
said.

“I wish it had been that simple. The lines at the bank were terrible, and then
I went to the dry cleaners. I stood in line, well, I don’t know how long. Then
they lost my favorite shirt…you know the one the boys gave me? My red
pinstripe. The one that goes so well with both my white skirt and the blue one.
And then they found it, but it took at least fifteen minutes before I had
everything and got out to the car. Longer than that. Definitely longer, I
think. And then there was the grocery store. Which reminds, me…Lee promised to
help me with dinner,” Dotty rambled as she pulled Lee away to help her. “You
need to rest, Amanda.”

She didn’t need to be told twice and lay down in the spot Lee vacated, closing
her eyes to reflect on what had been told to her yesterday in the hospital. Lee
had discussed with her their first kiss in the Q Bureau, making sure to include
the fact that Billy had almost walked in on them.

Lee also told her about the time they were on the run during the Stemwinder
case, in love and on the run. Her family had met Billy then. Lee explained
their mystery marriage idea, including Khai as the reason for it. She felt like
some of the blanks were filled in, but she wasn’t getting her memory back.

When she had been kidnapped by a ruthless terrorist, he said that he’d had a
vision of her, when he visited the house, and he also explained that he had
proposed to her out of nowhere, surprising both of them. The day they eloped
was fraught with the usual hold ups that Agency employment brought with it.
Even their honeymoon hadn’t been peaceful. She had almost died then.

Amanda had fallen asleep, but woke to her sons coming in the front door and
calling out, “Dad’s here!” This was promptly followed by Megan’s wake up cries.
Amanda sat up on the couch, clearing the cobwebs she had from her sudden waking,
and then headed upstairs before anyone was aware that she had been sleeping to
start with.

She didn’t know that Joe was coming for dinner, but she didn’t mind. He was
always welcome to stop by. Amanda supposed that the racket currently going on
in the kitchen was the reason no one else seemed to have heard any crying.

She heard someone behind her as she turned around with Megan in her arms.
“Mother, I almost ran right into you.”

“Sorry, dear. I just wanted to give you a heads up on Joe. I meant to tell you
yesterday, but you had just finished burping Megan, and I finally got another
chance to hold my granddaughter. Joe slipped my mind.”

“That’s fine, but, why tonight?” Amanda wanted to know.

“I invited him, since he was out of town the last few days. He’s been almost as
excited as the boys about this baby.” Dotty ran her index finger down her
granddaughter’s dangling leg.

“Does he know about my amnesia?”

“Lee called him last night. The boys would have given him a mangled version of
the truth, and we didn’t want that. But he understands,” Dotty answered.

“Well, let me go down and say ‘hello.’ Thank you for coming up, though, to
check on me.”

“Of course, dear.”

Dotty followed Amanda down and then went to see how dinner was progressing. The
boys were setting the table and trying to sneak a taste of what, to Amanda,
smelled like roast beef. Joe was watching everyone from the living room.

“Hi, Joe, why don’t we sit down while they bustle around,” Amanda invited him.

“Here’s her formula, Mom.” Phillip handed her a bottle.

“Thank you, sweetheart,” she told him as he nodded and returned to the dining
room. It had been decided to bottle feed Megan, just to be sure she wouldn’t
catch the virus from Amanda. She tested the formula on her wrist before giving
it to Megan, finding the temperature to be just right.

Joe sat next to his ex on the couch, “So, this is the little one, huh? What’s
her name? Dotty told me on the phone, but it’s been a few days.”

“Megan Renee West Stetson,” Amanda held the newborn a little closer.

“That’s wonderful, that she has your maiden name, too.”

“I thought it would be nice since she looks so much like Mother. And Lee agreed
with me,” she told him.

“I couldn’t be happier for you. Carrie and I, that is. She wanted to be here,
but she came down with this terrible stomach bug this morning and didn’t want to
give it to anyone else,” Joe said.

“We have enough viruses going around, don’t we?” Amanda asked.

“Is there anything I can do to help with that?” Joe offered.

“I wish there was, but no. I’ll call you if I think of anything.” Amanda
promised.

“You haven’t heard anything helpful from the Agency?” Joe asked.

“No, nothing, except that Megan’s safe from it.”

“She sure is tiny. I don’t remember the boys being this small. She really is
beautiful,” Joe complimented the baby

“She is. We’re so thankful that she’s healthy and normal. As for the boys
having not been this small…well, you’re right, almost. Jamie was above eight
pounds, as was Phillip.” She and the boys had been looking at their birth
certificates earlier that day.

“What was Megan’s weight?” Joe inquired

“Seven pounds, four ounces…is that right, Lee?” Amanda called to him over her
shoulder.

“Seven pounds, eight,” Lee called back, giving her a wink.

“So she isn’t that much smaller than her brothers,” Amanda said. Megan had
finished eating, so Amanda set the bottle down and shifted the baby to her
shoulder for burping.

“Dinner is ready, if the two of you are,” Lee said as he joined them in the
living room. “Here, let me finish burping her.”

“Everything smells wonderful,” Amanda said as she handed Lee the baby. There
were several murmurs of agreement as everyone chose a seat and the meal began.

The dishes were passed, the food was eaten, and finally, everyone helped to
clear the table. Megan fell asleep quickly and Lee was able to then put Megan
in her bassinet in the den. This accomplished, he returned to start eating his
dinner. Dessert was a cherry pie, served by Lee

“I hate to leave early,” Joe said, pushing his chair back from the table, “but
tomorrow is Thursday. I don’t know why, but everyone runs around like crazy on
Thursdays at work.”

“Dad, do you really have to go already?” Jamie asked, his question backed up by
a nod from Phillip.

“Sorry guys. I promise, this weekend I’ll spend it with you. Give your mother
and Lee some time to steal with the baby. Is that okay?” Joe compromised.

“I suppose so,” Phillip teased him.

“Tell Carrie we said ‘hi’ to her,” Jamie said as Joe pulled his coat on.
Amanda had followed her boys with Joe to the front door. Lee stayed behind in
the kitchen to help Dotty with the dessert dishes.

“One other thing…this is for the baby,” Joe said, pulling a wrapped box out
of his coat pocket.

“Thank you, Joe,” Amanda said as she took the package, opening it slowly.
Inside the wrapped box were a silver baby brush and a matching comb, lying on a
bed of cotton padding.

“We chose it together. We want the best for you, Lee and baby Megan,” Joe
said as he watched Amanda admire the gift.

“Joe, it’s beautiful. Thank you very much. And Carrie, too.” Amanda kissed
Joe on the cheek and watched as the boys escorted him to his car. Then she went
into the kitchen to show Lee the gift.

“What do you have there?” Lee asked over his shoulder while he was drying pie
plates. He had seen his wife enter the kitchen out of the corner of his eye.
She seemed to be carrying a small box.

“Come here and see,” Amanda invited him.

“It’s beautiful. We’re going to need them, with all the hair our angel came
home with. I should have walked out with you, but I didn’t even think about
it,” Lee said, wiping his hands on a fresh dishtowel.

“I thanked him for the three of us.”

“Ah, good. I’m going to go check on her.” Lee kissed her cheek and
sauntered off to the den.

Several hours later, Amanda woke up in bed, alone. She glanced at the alarm
clock on her bedside table. It had been two hours since Megan woke her and Lee
for a feeding. Now it was six in the morning. She had eagerly gone back to
sleep after Megan’s feeding, but she couldn’t get back to sleep now.

Lee had gotten up with her the last time and he asked Amanda if he could feed
the baby and change her. Amanda let him dote, watched him, gave him some
burping advice and generally just enjoyed having a little family meeting. Both
parents were tired, and Megan was fussy until her needs were met. Lee was not
afraid to hold his daughter. After burping and a story from Lee, the infant
finally fell asleep again, and her parents went their separate ways, back to
bed.

Before going to bed near eleven that night, Lee had volunteered to sleep on
the sofa bed in the den, so that she wouldn’t feel pressured, or uncomfortable.
Amanda felt good about the decision at the time, but in the early hour of the
morning found her bed cold and empty. She yawned as she put on her robe and
slippers and went to check on Megan. The boys would be getting up soon for
school, and the house wouldn’t be nearly as quiet. She could use a little peace
before the chaos began.

Amanda found the baby still fast asleep when she peeked in, so she went
downstairs to start a pot of decaffeinated coffee. She would need something
warm in her to start her day and she recalled in the back of her mind that Lee
would probably like some, too. She heard the thock of the paper when it landed
on her front porch and went to retrieve it. She wouldn’t have heard the sound
at all if she hadn’t been moving Jamie’s shoes from the middle of the living
room floor to where they belonged near the foyer closet.

“Anything good in the headlines?” Lee asked, running his left hand through
his unkempt hair. Amanda had tried to shut the front door quietly, but the
hinges squeaked, almost in spite of her.

“Is there ever?” she volleyed back to him with a wry grin. She had heard him
shuffling his way out from the den. “Coffee’s ready.”

“Oh, thanks.” He followed her from the door to the kitchen.

“You were great with Megan earlier.” Amanda asked once he’d poured coffee for
them both.

“I am glad you were there to supervise…just in case.” Lee admitted.

“Give it a little time, and I’ll be sleeping right through her early morning
cries,” Amanda warned with a sly grin, knowing Lee would not need her to
supervise for too long. “You really managed to keep her quiet.”

“I think closing the door helped the others to sleep. But, it is amazing
that a little rocking and some formula could make her so contented. And maybe
the sound of her daddy’s voice.” Lee said the last with pride.

“I’m sure it was her daddy’s voice that did it.” Amanda said, sipping her
coffee.

“How do you know? For sure, I mean?” Lee asked, still uncertain of his
fathering abilities.

“I find it…comforting. I can’t even explain why. When I saw you in the
hospital after the accident, I was so glad that you were there with me. Lee,
it’s like we have a bond and amnesia or not, I can still feel it,” she said,
looking directly into his eyes as she paused.

Lee didn’t reply, amazed that she still felt the way he did; that they had a
bond.

“So I’m sure your voice comforts her the way it does me,” Amanda concluded,
linking her prior comments to this one.

“A bond, huh? I’m glad you feel it too,” Lee remarked quietly.

“Did you think it was gone?” Amanda probed.

“I thought it was there, but I couldn’t know for sure. Now I do.” Lee could
have blasted off to the moon when she told him this. He didn’t realize until
that moment that he needed her to tell him that of her own volition.

“Yes, it’s there.” She gave him a sly look and then a quick kiss on the lips
and went into the living room. He would have followed, only, the boys rampaged
down the stairs, and his wife was their first target.

Shortly after the boys were off to school, Amanda and Lee took turns watching
Megan while the other went to get dressed. Dotty was up also, cooing at her
granddaughter, telling Megan every embarrassing story she could think of and
telling some of them to Lee in the process.

“Mother, really, do you have to bring up only the silly things I did as a
child?” Amanda asked in an effort to stop the stories.

“She needs to know these to start with, dear,” Dotty said, “so she can avoid
making the same mistakes.”

“Don’t worry, I’ve heard quite a few of them.” Lee wanted Amanda to
understand that he was mostly just humoring Dotty by listening to them again.
If he were honest with himself, he would admit that he liked hearing them again,
that they made him feel even closer to Amanda.

“She’s just a baby after all, and only a few days old at that,” Amanda tried
again.

“I am heading out, anyway,” Lee said. He had been first in the shower and
second to watch the baby.

“Where to?” Amanda asked, as this was news to her.

“Well, we need some more formula, and uh, I thought I’d stop by IFF, just
briefly since I’m on vacation-” he admitted.

“You’re going to try and find out how this happened. Lee, if they knew, then
they’d tell us. Francine even told me it was top priority.” Amanda tried to
change his mind. Having him storm around D.C. was not going to help them find
out who had given her what they were calling the Memory Virus.

“I know,” Lee flicked his glance first to Dotty, who was now holding Megan,
and then to Amanda, “But, I’m going stir crazy. This is personal and I can’t
just sit and let Billy and Francine take care of it. Maybe there’s something in
our old cases that will help.”

“Lee, there are hundreds of those to go through. How do you think you’ll
figure it out?” Amanda wondered.

“I can make a start. See who might have come into the country after
deportation. Check on anyone who might have been released from prison early. I
hate to admit it, but too many of our cases were plea bargained, even though
there were federal charges.” Lee argued his point.

“You’re right, but even so, Francine’s already checking that, most likely.
And we have a lot of catching up to do. We don’t get a lot of time alone when
the boys are home from school, so I had hoped that, for the next few days, I
could get to know you better.”

Lee went to Amanda, bent to kiss her cheek, and then stood, taking her hand
in both of his, “Tomorrow, I promise I’ll stay home. But I have to do this
today.”

Amanda nodded her resignation. Lee had always been determined, stubborn when
he thought he was right. She followed him toward the door. As Lee was putting
his coat on, there was a knock at the door. Amanda opened it and invited Billy
inside.

“Going somewhere, Lee?” Billy asked when he noted his agent’s attire.

“Yeah, to see you. What a coincidence, huh?” Lee shrugged his coat off again
and returned it to the closet.

“I’m glad I caught you, in that case. We’ve had a few breaks in the case
this morning.” Billy told them.

“Let’s discuss this in the den. Would you like some coffee, sir?” Amanda
offered.

“Yes, please,” he followed Lee into the den.

“Mother, I hope you don’t mind us stranding you with Megan. I can take her
if you like.” Amanda said to Dotty, who was in the living room, cooing and
talking to the baby.

“You go do what you have to do. We’ll be fine. Megan needs her time with
her grandma,” Dotty insisted.

“Okay, Billy, what do you know?” Lee asked, itching to hear what his boss had
to say. Amanda had brought in coffee for everyone and was seated next to Lee on
the sofa, with Billy in an armchair to the right.

“Dr. Kelford wasn’t having any luck on his own finding out the source of this
virus, so he teamed up with Col. McJohn. They sent the information they had to
their contacts in Europe, and found out that the Germans are responsible for
this. Only, indirectly."

“How so?” Lee inquired.

“It’s an old, World War Two virus…developed for use in the Concentration
Camps, but it never got that far. In the last year, the Germans discovered a
secret cache of it and locked it away, along with the documentation that
accompanied it.

“Three weeks ago, some of the serum went missing. The documentation was
still there, but shuffled through, as if someone made copies and then put it
back. Why that is we have no clue, since the missing vial of serum was a
blatant signal that the batch was tampered with.”

“Then why-“ Amanda started to ask.

“And then this morning, right at nine, we received this,” Billy interrupted.
He pulled a small mailing envelope out of his suit coat and handed it to Lee.

“What is this? Peter…Gruen…no,” Lee breathed as he read the card that was
inside the envelope.

“What does it say?” Amanda asked.

“It says…it…here.” He passed the card to her and brushed his hand through his
hair.

Amanda read the card, still not quite understanding Lee’s discomfort.
Centered in the card was the message:

You took my brother, I’ll take your wife, your child too. If she has a memory
at all, it’s that I had no time for the second syringe. Want the antidote?
Come get it. I’ll exchange it for you and you alone. See you at the Lincoln
Memorial. Five PM, tomorrow. Peter

p.s. You’ll be watched.

“He had to brag,” Lee hissed. "We have to catch him."

“The Germans are cooperating with this. The documentation that was found with
the original serum didn't have an antidote formula. Kelford and McJohn are
working with the Germans on creating one. If Peter Gruen actually has an anti
serum, I don't know how.” Billy informed them, “But please, Lee, give it some
time.”

“We don’t have any more time, Billy. He’s threatened Megan now, too. And he
had to be stalking us the other morning when Amanda went into labor. He knew
right where to be!” Lee was angry with a man he couldn’t touch, "I have to stop
him."

"Don't do it alone, Lee." Billy advised, "Watched or not, we can set him up.
Let your Family help you. He won't know them."

"I'll have to talk to them," Lee gave in a little as his anger ebbed.

"I already have," Billy said with a grin. "I agree that Peter Gruen can't be
allowed to continue terrorizing your family, or acting as a threat toward the
United States. Dr. Smyth is even behind letting us use you as bait to catch
him."

"I bet he loves that idea," Lee huffed.

Amanda sighed. "Sounds dangerous. But what in this business isn't? Who
exactly is Peter Gruen …and why did you kill his brother?"

"Peter and Oscar Gruen would be Germany, 1982, East Germany in particular. They
were double-crossing their own government. They worked together as a team to
get Russian secrets, but were selling German secrets to the Russians as
well…without permission. The Gruens had been recipients of a few American
intelligence files somewhere along the line and I was sent to retrieve ours.

"I discovered what the Gruens were really up to. They caught me in their
office. I took cover behind a desk and fired at them, since they fired at me
first. Oscar was a casualty. Peter got away and I hadn't heard from him again
until today.

"He's not happy that I got away with the files I was after and pictures of what
he and his brother had been up to, on top of killing Oscar.

"As a gesture of peace, our side notified the East Germans and the Russians of
what was going on. Peter has been in exile for nearly seven years." Lee told
her in a fast sum-up. Billy nodded his agreement of Lee's recollection.

"How do you catch him now?" Amanda asked.

"We use a hotdog stand courtesy of one of Lee's Family. We'll have it
conveniently located near the Lincoln Memorial…if we have to, a sniper will be
there to take our man down. Also, there's that couple from the newsroom…you
know who I mean, Lee. We'll have them planted on the steps of the Memorial by
four-thirty." Billy said.

"And then others placed discreetly, I take it?" Lee asked.

"Yes. The only problem is that if he truly has the antidote, I don't know how
he intends to keep his promise of trading it for you." Billy mentioned.

"I'll figure something out. How will I know when you're going to take him down?
Did you bring me an ear piece or something?" Lee inquired.

"I didn't have time for that, and it might be obvious should he spot one of our
people with equipment on, so only those furthest from the scene will have ear
pieces or walkie talkies." The section chief told him.

"Tacit operation," Amanda said, causing both men to look at her. She shrugged
and said, "It's in the Agency's manual. Book four, I think…Complex Techniques."

Lee nodded in recognition of the book title. She had read that one years ago,
and definitely before he'd played "burn out."

"That's what this will be," Billy admitted. "Just stay calm and take it slowly;
we'll do the rest."

"Assuming we get the antidote, what then?" Amanda asked.

"Dr. Kelford will test it to see if it's really an antidote or not. We
certainly can't trust him to give us what we want, even if he were to get Lee."
Billy promised. "And now, I have to be going. Lee, I'll count on seeing you at
the Memorial just before five tomorrow."

Lee and Amanda showed Billy out, and then sat down in the living room to give
Dotty vague details of what was going to happen the next night. Amanda knew her
mother would ask anyway. Megan had gone down for her mid morning nap, so it was
just the three adults situated in the living room.

"So there's been progress on your case?" Dotty asked outright.

"Yes, there's a plan in place to pick up the man who did this." Amanda admitted.

"Well, when? Because let me tell you, it's just not safe for this, this monster
to be out on the streets. Let me tell you, if I were the one to catch him…well
he would get a good piece of my mind, to start with." Dotty stated firmly.

Lee smiled at his mother-in-law's determination to capture the person who had
hurt her daughter and threatened her granddaughter. He tried to calm her down
by saying, "He's set up a meeting with me for tomorrow afternoon. What he
doesn't know is that I'll have a few uninvited guests along. So don't worry."

"Don't worry? He's a dangerous criminal!" Dotty exclaimed.

"It's okay, Mother, I'll be there to make sure he won't get hurt." Amanda
sympathized with the way her mother felt, but hoped her statement would ease the
older woman's mind.

"No, you won't," Lee said tersely.

"Now, Lee, I am no good at staying behind. It'll be better if I can keep a look
out for you."

"And who's going to keep an eye on Megan? Not that I don't trust Dotty, and the
boys, but, Amanda, you need to be here. Who else can keep all of you safe if
someone tries to get past the guards outside? I don't know how many 'helpers'
Peter Gruen has and you're the one with Agency training." Lee reminded his wife.

"Well…" Amanda couldn't argue with him on that point, "I'd still feel better
going with you."

"So would I, but there's someone else involved now," Lee said gently, meeting
Amanda's eyes.

"You will be careful, Lee?" Dotty asked pointedly.

"I have a family to come home to. Of course I'll be careful. And I'll have
lots of help." He smiled at both of the women, and gave Amanda a loving wink.
Amanda smiled back at him.

"What do we tell the boys?" Dotty inquired, "They'll see you leaving."

"I think it would be best if we didn't tell them anything." Lee suggested.

"I agree. We'll just tell them that Lee had an errand and we're holding dinner
until he gets back." Amanda agreed, keeping the plan simple.

Lee nodded, "Sounds good to me."

It was ten at night when Amanda finally settled into bed. Before she went to
sleep, she wanted to read another chapter or two from the book she had started
in the hospital. After a few seconds, there was a knock on the door, and she
could see Lee standing in the half open doorway.

"Come in," she invited him.

Lee took a few strides into the bedroom until he was standing over her. "I was
getting ready to go to sleep. Just wanted to say goodnight."

"Oh, okay. Goodnight."

"Sure gets quite around here once the baby's asleep," he commented and then
turned to go.

"Wait, Lee," Amanda said, swiveling her legs so that she was sitting on the edge
of the bed.

He turned back to her and waited to see what she needed.

"About the sleeping arrangements, well…we never did discuss them yesterday, and
then today we were both so busy we forgot the whole thing. And if you would
like to talk about it, so would I." Amanda said in a rush, not thinking, just
talking. When she had finished, she patted a spot on the bed next to her for
Lee to sit.

Once he was next to her he said, "Really, it's up to you. I think we've been
doing pretty well, getting our relationship back together. But if you need more
time…"

"When I woke up this morning, alone…it didn't seem right. I think that,
tonight, falling asleep with you beside me would be comforting. Especially with
the threat Peter Gruen poses. I know I'm normally strong and independent, but
you know what?" She paused so he could answer.

"What?"

"Sometimes I need someone to fall back on. My white knight in shining armor."
She gave him a loving smile.

"White knight? I hardly qualify," Lee denied.

"Sure you do. You've been there for me since this started. You've been patient
and haven't pushed me to do anything. I can't tell you how comfortable that
makes me feel when I'm near you."

"What can your white knight do to keep things that way, this evening?"

"When you're ready for bed…join me, and just hold me. No big expectations.
We'll just be together."

Lee grinned, stood, and softly kissed her left cheek as he went to prepare for
bed. When he rejoined her a few moments later, and the room was dark, she
snuggled up against him as he lay on his back in their bed. She fell asleep
first, and then he did as well, to her light snoring. Even though she didn't
have her memory back, it seemed their life was almost normal.

The Lincoln Memorial, 5PM the following day:

Everything was set up just the way Billy had promised when Lee walked up to the
Lincoln Memorial just before five. He was standing at the top of the steps,
trying to notice everything and see if Peter Gruen was there. So far, no luck.

He knew the couple three steps down from him were his people. There were a
few other tourists milling about, but it was a cold winter day, and as the sun
was starting to sink, the visitors gradually shrank away from the monuments to
head back to hotels or homes. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a kid in a
baseball cap buying a hot dog from the vendor at the bottom of the steps.

"I see you agreed to the terms in my message," Peter said from behind Lee, who
turned to face him. The German was older and fatter with time, and this was
especially emphasized in the man's jowled face. His curly brown hair was mostly
gray now, and he was shorter than Lee by at least six inches.

"Where's the antidote?" Lee asked immediately.

"I know you, Stetson. I'm sure you have a courier who can take the formula.
It's here," Peter pulled a gun out of his left coat pocket and then with his
right hand pulled out three sheets of paper. "They didn't know there was a
separate packet for the antidote. And don't make any sudden moves for your gun.
I'll kill you."

"I promise, no gun. Just drop the antidote. Someone can pick it up when we're
gone." Lee said, giving a small admission that they were being watched.

"Have the boy take it for you. I'm sure he won't mind helping," Peter
suggested. "After all, it's for his mother."

Lee didn't understand what Peter meant. He turned back to the hotdog stand,
but the boy who had been there before was gone. Lee panned his vision to his
right and found the kid one step up from the two lovers who were pretending not
to hear the quiet discussion Lee was holding. He realized that, minus the ball
cap, the boy looked a lot like Phillip.

A shot of adrenaline rushed through him as he realized that for some
incredible reason his stepson had come along for the ride. Billy must have seen
Phillip, but had no way to warn Lee…no way to tell him what was going on. The
agent eyed Peter's revolver and then looked at Phillip again. He had no choice,
Peter was in control now.

"Well, boy, come here and get it," Peter said to Phillip, pointing his gun at
the boy.

Having long ago finished the hot dog, Phillip shrugged at Lee and did as he
was told. When he was in range, Peter dropped the antidote pages and grabbed
the teen and held him, one arm around the teen's neck.

"Don't hurt him!" Lee exclaimed. It was an order and a plea at the same
time.

Peter ignored Lee and grabbed Phillip's jacket collar, ordering him to move
quickly. Lee picked up the papers for the antidote, sloppily rolled them
together and shoved them into his pants pocket. He pulled his gun and turned to
follow the two down the steps of the Memorial and then heard two shots. Lee
swore as he rushed to where both Peter and Phillip had fallen backward at the
bottom of the steps.

"Phillip! Don't move." Lee said. Peter had been shot, it appeared, but Lee
couldn't find any blood and he had to be sure Phillip wasn’t hurt.

"I'm okay, Lee. Not hurt at all," the young man protested as he eased
himself into a sitting position.

"Lee, what's going on?" Billy questioned him as he arrived with a phalanx of
armed agents.

"I was going to ask you…did the sniper kill him?" Lee volleyed back his own
question.

"No, we used bean bag pellets. It's experimental, but we had the gun on
hand…luckily for Phillip. Gruen took hits to his head and hand." Billy
reported. "Now, what's he doing here?"

"Well?" Lee glared at his stepson.

"I'm sorry, Lee. I just…I thought I could help you. In case you got into
some real trouble, since Mom wasn't going on this one. I didn't think I'd mess
anything up." Phillip explained.

"You have no idea how much you just terrified me, do you?" Lee asked,
exasperated.

Phillip gave him a guilty pout and shook his head in the negative.

"Oh, here, Billy," Lee pulled the pages of the antidote from his pocket and
handed them over.

"I'll have Dr. Kelford and his team get on this right away. When's a good
time to get you both debriefed?" Billy asked, offering his agent a courtesy
reserved only for someone who was like a son to him.

"Tomorrow morning? I just want to go home." Lee suggested.

"I'll send a car." Billy told him.

Lee nodded, put his hand on Phillip's shoulder and walked with him back to
the 'Vette.

“How did you follow me here?” Lee wanted to know.

“I hid under the blanket on the back seat. I’m really flat when I lay down
all the way.” Phillip tried to be funny, to ease his embarrassment.

“Sneaky. And extremely dangerous. Let’s get home.” Lee said as they arrived
at his car.

"I'm in big trouble, aren't I?" Phillip asked as they neared home.

"I don't know, Phillip. I'm going to leave that one up to your mom. If she
asks my opinion…I'll be honest." Lee shrugged. He didn't think talking about
the worst outcome was a good idea.

"Lee, are you mad at me?"

The agent glanced over at his passenger before answering. "No, I'm not angry
with you. Maybe I should be, but I'm not."

Phillip nodded. "Okay."

"Well, here we are," Lee said, pulling into the drive and turning off the
engine.

Amanda was excited to hear the Corvette pull in. It meant that the plan had
gone well and everyone was safe. She hadn't had a phone call about Lee getting
hurt, and she knew Billy, at least, would contact her if there was trouble.

Dotty was in the kitchen, deciding which coupon would be best for pizza.
Megan was sleeping in her crib, ready to wake up any time. Jamie and Greg
Thomasson were in the bedroom playing a video game. As far as she knew, Phillip
was still at Terry Stine's, shooting hoops or listening to music tapes and
waiting for the call to come home for dinner. Amanda had been watching sitcoms
and game shows…anything that wasn't news; she just needed a distraction.

Amanda was surprised when she saw Phillp and Lee walk into the house
together. Her son had saved her a phone call. Something didn't seem right with
him and Lee also seemed to be in a bit of a sour mood.

"All right, fellas, what's going on? Phillip, you first." Amanda said as she
herded both of them into the living room.

"Oh, Lee's home. And Phillip?" Dotty was also surprised. "Well, I'll go
order the pizzas. I finally have the deal I want nailed down."

"Ah, Amanda? Phillip and I…we should talk to you alone." Lee said before
anyone else could interrupt.

"Into the den, then," Amanda sighed. Once there, she sat down and waited for
one of the men to start speaking.

"First of all, everything went well." Lee paused and then added, "There was
a little confrontation that sort of had my blood going, though."

"What was that?" Amanda asked when Lee stopped his story.

"Me. I went along. And the guy captured me and threatened to kill me."
Phillip admitted after a nudge from his stepfather.

"And there was nothing I could do, since Billy couldn't warn me. Except
watch and wait. Everything happened so fast, though. Thankfully, there wasn't
a stand off." Lee ran his left hand through his hair and then rubbed his eyes.
The operation to catch Gruen had taken more out of him than Lee thought.

Amanda finally gasped, "Phillip!" She got her voice back a second later.
"What were you thinking! You put yourself in so much danger and you could've
been killed. Or gotten someone ELSE killed! Why did you do this?"

Phillip flopped down onto the loveseat and in a hostile tone said, "I don't
know, Mom. I don't think I can explain it, all right?"

"Oh, you better find a way to explain it, Mister! You're going to be
grounded until I hear an explanation…and then for a while longer, I think."
Amanda growled angrily.

"I just wanted to get this guy after what he did to you. I'm not stupid.
I've been paying attention to what you and Lee and Dad say. I knew Lee wouldn't
leave you to go on an errand with this guy on the loose." Phillip spilled his
reasoning. "I wanted to help, not make things worse. It didn't work out,
okay?"

"Oh, Sweetheart," Amanda sighed and sat next to him. "I understand a little
now, but you shouldn't have done that. It wasn't your choice to make."

"So, what now?" Phillip asked, letting her hug him.

"Well, you're still grounded. I'll have to think about a more specific
punishment." Amanda said.

"Billy wants to debrief him in the morning." Lee informed her.

"But he's just a boy." Amanda protested lightly.

"I guess it's a consequence of being 'all grown up,' huh?" Lee shrugged. He
didn't have a choice on bringing Phillip in or not. The Agency would demand the
boy's side of the story.

Amanda nodded, "I guess so."

"Can I go, now?" Phillip squirmed out of his mother's embrace. She nodded
and Phillip left the den as fast as he could manage.

Lee joined Amanda on the couch and said, "I'm sorry I caused this. I had no
idea he'd hopped a ride in my car."

"Lee, there was nothing you could've done. He's safe, and that's what
counts. What about the antidote? Did Gruen really have one?" she inquired.

"Looks like he did, yes. Dr. Kelford should be working on it. I don't know
when they'll have anything." Lee told her.

"Thank you." Amanda said and snuggled close to him. He held her, drawing
comfort from her understanding and warmth. "I mean, for bringing Phillip home
safely, too. Anything could have gone wrong--"

Lee cut her off. "But it didn't. And I didn't take down Gruen, the snipers
hit him. It was a team effort."

"Hmm, I could lay here all night. I was so worried about you, without
Phillip being right there." She adjusted a little in his arms.

"Any ideas on his punishment? He knows he's in for it."

"Yeah, actually. He's going to help out at the soup kitchen. If he's
responsible enough to think he can 'help,' he'll help there." Amanda stated.

"For how long?"

"Till I'm not upset about it anymore, I guess," Amanda shrugged.

Lee chuckled. At least he knew better than to upset Amanda.

"Something's funny?" Amanda asked.

"No, not really. I'm just giddy from the stress," Lee said.

"Shoot. That's the baby crying. I should go get her." Amanda reluctantly
stood.

"I can do it." Lee offered, the squeals of his newborn daughter still
tempting to him.

"You need a little down time…and a shower…so I'll go," Amanda said, teasing
him with a crinkle of his nose, oblivious to how cute he thought it was.

"That suits me. I'll go shower, and then I guess dinner will be here?" Lee
surmised and Amanda nodded.

Two weeks later, Dr. Kelford, Col. McJohn, and a team of German scientists
were satisfied that they had an antidote for Amanda's virus. She arranged for
Dotty to babysit when Lee drove her to the Agency for the injection. Dr.
Kelford advised the couple that the antidote would take forty-eight to
seventy-two hours. With a nod of thanks, they left and went home.

Dr. Kelford's antidote was the real thing. After three days, Amanda
remembered her old life, if not exact details. She certainly remembered Lee,
and the important cases that drew them together. She didn't remember the car
accident or Megan's birth, just getting into the car and then waking up in the
hospital.

Life settled back to normal…as normal as it could be with a newborn in the
house. Megan loved to be held, and everybody always wanted a turn to feed her
or hold her. Changing diapers was another issue.

Four days after receiving the antidote, Amanda was working in the kitchen,
baking a batch of cookies when an idea came to her that she wanted to discuss
with Lee. She decided that dinner would be a very appropriate time. Which
reminded her that she needed to pull out the fixin's for her world famous
spaghetti and meatballs.

"Mom, this is the best spaghetti yet!" Phillip exclaimed and then took
another huge bite out of a meatball.

"Thank you, honey, but you aren't done volunteering at the soup kitchen."
Amanda said, knowing her son's powers of manipulation all too well. Phillip's
sigh was a sign she'd caught onto him.

"It really is delicious, Amanda." Lee stated matter-of-factly, and Jamie and
Dotty, who were eating, nodded and mumbled agreement.

"I'm glad you all like it. I wanted to discuss something with all of you.
Well, Lee in particular, but it concerns us all." Amanda paused and all eyes
were on her. Continuing, she said, "The antidote that gave me back my memory
wasn't a complete cure-all. The one thing that I can't remember, and wish I
could, is the details of our wedding, Lee. So I'd like to renew our vows. What
do you say?"

The boys answered before Lee could think with a unified, "Yeah!"

Lee's eyes softened as he said, "Amanda, my love, I accept. Just name the
day and time. I'll be there with your favorite tux on."

Dotty didn't say a word; she just beamed at them from her end of the table
with a gigantic smile. The family returned to eating for a few moments, the joy
of the last conversation remaining as each member of the family took turns
grinning at each other.

"Um, Amanda?" Dotty spoke up suddenly.

"Yes, Mother? Too much garlic?" Amanda asked attentively.

"Well, I have a little announcement of my own. You see, I think it's time
that I had a place of my own. And Mrs. Zayger, you know, from my club, is
planning to sell hers." Dotty said.

"You can't leave, grandma." Jamie protested.

"I've made up my mind. I already told Mrs. Zayger I'm interested." Dotty
insisted.

"Don't let me push you out of the house," Lee put in.

"Mother, do you really think this would be for the best?" Amanda asked.

"The condo is just up the road, so there's no pushing me out. Lee you should
know better than to say something like that, you've lived with us long enough."
Dotty chided her son-in-law. "My decision is final. I would just like to
recruit a team of movers."

"Mother, if you're sure…" Amanda reluctantly said.

"You and Lee need time alone, without me here. It’s time for you two to
stand on your own." Dotty said with certainty.

"I'm in for helping you move, then," Lee volunteered, and soon the boys and
Amanda joined in the chorus.

"Thank you. I knew my family would understand." Dotty smiled.

Dinner was followed by poppyseed cake topped with whipped cream. The boys
were even allowed to have seconds. The family's spirits could not have been
higher. They now had a wedding to plan as well as a move.

The End