- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The Challenge: This week we're asking you to write a story which must incorporate one of the following scenarios:

Scenario 1: One of our favorite characters has been missing for 24-48 hours. They call home to let their family and loved ones know they are okay.

Or

Scenario 2: Our favorite characters are sent to a convention (of your choosing)

And – additionally – you must include at LEAST the names of FIVE Gutter Girls in your story. (This goes for either scenario)
Okay here's my response to Scenario 1:

He maneuvered the Vette down the highway. He turned off into the
first rest stop he came to. He needed to make a phone call. People
would be worried about him. If the damn car phone hadn't been dead,
he wouldn't have been in this predicament. He dug some change out of
his pocket, put it into the payphone and dialed the number.

He barely heard one ring before someone answered.

"Lee, is that you?"

"It's me. I'm fine."

"What happened?"

"You're not going to believe it."

"I'm just so happy you're safe. I was worried. You've been gone for
over twenty-four hours."

"I got lost on a deserted road. I came to a house, or what I thought
was a house, that had a light on. I was going to ask for directions
back to the main road. I knocked and rang the doorbell. No one
answered. I turned the knob it opened. I found myself in a corridor
that led down and I followed it."

"It wasn't a house?"

"No, it was an outside entrance to some kind of underground complex.
They have everything down there: Bedrooms, kitchen, stock rooms,
gym, library, living room, media room, and sauna. A massive maze of
rooms."

"You couldn't find a way out?"

"Not at first. A lot of women live down there, Amanda. Since I had
no idea if they were hostile I stayed in the shadows until I could
ascertain if they were some kind of cult, fanatic extremists, hippies
or just some crazy group. I even learned some of their names: ANA,
TERA, JAN, WENDI, RITA, ANNE, MONICA, STEPHY, CHERYL, LYNDA,
ERMINTRUDE, SUE, a couple of JULIES and several JENNIFERS.

"Were any of them from your black books?"

"You know I burned those a long time ago. I've never seen any of
them before."

"I know, I couldn't help but tease you. So are they something the
Agency needs to be made aware of?"

"I think they're harmless. But what made me unwary were the
photographs on the wall. They were all of `me!'"

"You?"

"Yeah, it was strange. It was like I was someone famous. I was
dressed in cowboy clothing in some, police uniforms in others and
then in regular clothing from jeans to tuxes. They acted like they
worshipped me. It was like they were all in love with me. Their
fantasy lover."

"Well I certainly can understand them if the man in the pictures
looked like you. I don't blame them one bit. You were my fantasy
lover for a long time before you made my dreams come true."

"Because there were so many women and my resemblance to the man in
the pictures, I had to be careful about being detected. I wasn't
sure what they would do if I revealed myself to them. I had to keep
finding different hiding spots. Finally, they all gathered in the
media room to watch a movie with him in the leading role. They also
talked about attending some kind of convention soon where he'll be
the main attraction."

"Maybe we should check out this convention. It sounds like they're
harmless, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. We should
add them to our `spring cleaning' list."

"That's all we need another nutso group to check out. All I know is
they call the place where they live `The Gutter' and
themselves `gutter girls.' I'll tell Billy about them tomorrow."

"When will you be home?"

"I should be there in an hour."

"I'll be waiting for you in the bedroom."

"Make that a half hour."