- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter Eight

October 30, 1991

6:15 PM

“Just get in the car and drive, Mrs. Stetson,” Ren said, “The children can sit in the backseat.”

“Look, it’s me you want,” Amanda said. “Let them go.”

Ren cocked the pistol. “I’d feel better if the children came along.” His voice was soft, but the threat was unmistakable. “That way I know you won’t pull any heroics. Do we understand each other?”

“Perfectly,” Amanda said, knowing she was going to have to play along until she could think of a way out. “Jamie, get in the backseat.” She said.

“Mom,” Jamie said.

“Just do it, sweetheart,” Amanda said, not taking her eyes away from Ren as she spoke. She heard the sound of the car door opening and closing.

“I have to put Jenna in her safety seat.” Amanda said to Ren.

“Fine,” Ren said. He uncocked the pistol, still keeping it trained on Amanda and Jenna. “Just hurry up-we don’t have all day.”

Amanda fastened the toddler securely into her seat. Thankfully, Jenna didn’t put up the fight she usually did.

“Mom, I don’t understand. Why is Lee doing this?” Jamie whispered.

“That’s not Lee,” Amanda said. At Jamie’s confused expression, she said. “I’ll explain later. Can you keep Jenna quiet in the backseat? We don’t need to have her upset.”

“I'll do it,” Jamie said. Amanda had never felt prouder of her son than she did at that moment.

“Are you done?” Ren asked. Amanda closed the door and nodded. “Now we’re getting in the car-you’re driving.”

Amanda got in the car while Ren slid into the passenger seat, still keeping his gun trained on her. Amanda put the keys in the ignition and started the engine

“I’d still like to know where we’re going,” she said

“Like I said, just drive,” Ren said. “I know the way.”

October 30, 1991

6:40 PM

Dusk was falling as they drove past a row of warehouses alongside the Potomac River. During the day most of these places were bustling with activity, but now it was like a ghost town. Looking in her rearview mirror, Amanda looked at Jenna and Jamie. Jenna was napping, her head lolling to one side while Jamie held his sister’s tiny hand in his.

The light was too dim to see her son’s facial expression, but Amanda knew that he must be terrified.

Don’t worry, she thought. I’ll find some way to get us out of this.

“Stop here,” Ren ordered. Amanda put the car into park and turned off the engine. “Now, everyone out.”

“Please-I’m begging you- just leave the children here,” Amanda said.

“I won’t ask you again,” Ren said. “Unless you want me to deal with them here.”

“I’ll get Jenna,” Jamie said, his voice shaking slightly. Jenna gave a little cry of protest when Jamie picked her up out of the seat. Amanda could hear Jamie shushing her. The streetlights were beginning to come on now, bathing the scene in a golden glow.

“Where now?” Amanda asked.

“Straight ahead, inside that warehouse,” Ren said. “First you, then your children. I’ll be right behind them- I don’t need to tell you what happens if you try anything.”

The warehouse smelt of damp and sawdust. The only light Amanda could see came from a single bulb on the ceiling. Suddenly a hand grabbed hers, pulling her behind a stack of crates. Another hand covered Amanda’s mouth, stifling her startled cry.

“Amanda it’s me,” Lee whispered into her ear.

He took his had away from her mouth. “Lee, the children-” Amanda whispered back. “He’ll kill them.”

Peeking around the side of the crates she could see Jamie and Jenna. The toddler was walking now, holding her brother’s hand and they were both moving slowly forward. Right behind them was Ren, holding a gun.

“Mrs. Stetson,” Ren said, looking from side to side, his eyes searching for her. “I warned you what would happen if you tried any funny business. You’ll really don’t want me to get angry and take it out on your children, do you?”

Ren was standing right next to the crates. Summoning all her strength, Amanda pushed the crate, shouting for Jamie and Jenna to run. The crate missed Ren, falling and breaking beside him, but it distracted his attention from the children and that’s what mattered. In that second Lee grabbed the other man from behind, knocking the weapon out of his hand. Then he spun Ren Jepard around.

“You really don’t want me to get angry, pal.” Lee told the man. “I’ll take it out on you.” Two quick punches-one to the gut and one to the face- caused Ren Jepard to slump to the floor, unconscious. Lee took out his handcuffs, securing the man to small pipe protruding from the floor.

Lee turned towards Amanda and her heart actually skipped a beat.

In the dim light she could see his clothes-the same clothes that he’d been wearing when she’d sent him to the grocery store over a day ago-somehow it seemed like it had been much longer. He was dirty and disheveled, but unmistakably Lee. Her Lee. Even in this light there was no mistaking the love and concern in his face. How could she have ever thought that Ren-her eyes pricked with sudden tears.

“Amanda, are you all right?” Lee asked. “He didn’t hurt you or the kids, did he?”

“I’m fine,” Amanda said, brushing tears from her face. “We’re fine. It’s just-it’s awfully good to see you again”

“It’s awfully good to see you too,” Lee said. “I wasn’t sure if I ever would. I love you so much, Amanda.” And then his mouth was on hers, kissing her hungrily, his hands cupping and stroking the sides of her face. Amanda’s hands rested on the back of his neck, her fingers intertwining with his hair.

“I love you too, Stetson” Amanda said huskily.

TBC