- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimers: Scarecrow and Mrs. King belongs to Warner Brothers and Shoot The

Moon productions, and not to me.

Set several years after the fourth season-the mystery marriage is over and Lee and Amanda have a two-year old. References to “Odds On a Dead Pigeon” and “Triumvirate”. Historical references to the attempted Soviet Coup d’etat in August of ’91.

Thanks to NotYet for the title suggestion

SMK Holiday Challenge- The Great Pumpkin Drop

SMK Holiday Challenge- The Great Pumpkin Drop

Disclaimers: Scarecrow and Mrs. King belongs to Warner Brothers and Shoot The

Moon productions, and not to me.

Set several years after the fourth season-the mystery marriage is over and Lee and Amanda have a two-year old. References to “Odds On a Dead Pigeon” and “Triumvirate”. Historical references to the attempted Soviet Coup d’etat in August of ’91.

Thanks to NotYet for the title suggestion

October 29, 1991

“Is it acceptable?” Dr. Worrell asked.

Ren Jepard stood and walked to the mirror. Silently he stared at the dark blond hair and the hazel eyes that looked back at him. Ren smiled.

“Better than acceptable-It’s perfect,” he said. “No one will be able to tell the difference.”

“They don’t call me the best plastic surgeon on the east coast for nothing, Mr. Jepard.” Dr. Worrell said. “Even the vocal cord surgery-the voice is perfect. His own mother wouldn’t notice a difference.”

“Neither will his wife,” Ren said. “You did a marvelous job, Doc.”

“That’s what they pay me for,” Dr. Worrell said. He handed him a piece of paper. “Get this filled, the penicillin will help to ward off any post-surgical infection.”

“Thank you,” Ren folded the paper and stuffed it in his pocket. “Is there anything else?” He asked the Doctor.

“Just the matter of payment.”

“Ah yes, the payment.” Ren reached into his coat. “Here’s your payment.” Dr. Worrell’s eyes widened as he saw the pistol and silencer.

“You don’t have to do this.”

Ren smiled. “I’m afraid I do have to do this,” he said. “It’s nothing personal, but I can’t risk anything about me being traced back to you.” He cocked the pistol. “I’m sure you understand.”

There were two small popping noises, and Dr. Worrell fell backwards, a surprised look on his face and a bullet-hole right between his eyes. Ren Jepards casually pocketed the pistol and strolled out of the office, thinking about his next target.

SMK SMK SMK

“Lee, we can’t.” Amanda said.

“I don’t think Billy’s giving us a choice, Amanda.” Lee  watched out of the corner of his eye as his two year old daughter Jenna pushed one of Jamie’s old trucks across the floor, making ‘vroom vroom’ noises. They had to keep an almost constant eye on her now, because these days Jenna seemed to be into everything. The smell of the roast chicken that Amanda was making for dinner filled the house.

“Well couldn’t he find someone else?”

“He wants us.” Lee said. “Dimitri Patrov is only going to be in the country for one night. He’s going to the Annual Great Pumpkin Masquerade Ball in DC and that’s where he’s going to pass us the microdot.”

“And this microdot contains the plans for another possible Soviet Coup by the communist hardliners, just like the one that happened in August,” Amanda said. Jenna walked over to her mother, handing her the truck. “Thank you, sweetheart,” Amanda said to Jenna before turning back to Lee. “I understand that. What I don’t understand is why it has to be us. Isn’t this a simple courier assignment?”

“Mine!” Jenna removed the truck from Amanda’s hands, quickly resuming her ‘vroom vroom’ trek across the family room carpet.

“Actually it’s priority one.” When Amanda gave him a questioning look, Lee explained. “Word on the street is that there’s a price on Patrov’s head-and that someone might try to assassinate him and destroy the microdot before we can get to it.”

“Sassinate!” Jenna announced, sounding very pleased with herself and her newfound word. “Sassinate and destwoy Mic’odot!” Lee winced.

“We’re really going to need to start watching what we say in front of Jenna,” Lee said. “It’s getting to the point where-oh thank you,” Lee said as Jenna handed him her truck. “It’s getting to the point where she repeats everything we say.”

“Well she’s at that stage,” Amanda said. “And speaking of Jenna, what are we going to do about her that night? We were supposed to take her trick or treating, remember? Mother’s on a cruise with Captain Curt and Jamie’s going to a Halloween Party.”

“Mine!” Jenna made a grab for the truck out of Lee’s hand. Lee held it just out of his daughter’s reach.

“You mean it’s not mine, munchkin?” He made a sad face.

Jenna’s lower lip quivered slightly. “Mine, daddy,” she said plaintively, staring at him with big brown eyes. “Pease?”

“Oh Lee, don’t tease her.” Amanda went into the kitchen to check on the chicken.

“In that case, here you are,” Lee handed her the truck, ruffling Jenna’s silky blond hair with one hand. “I couldn’t say no to those eyes.” Jenna smiled as she resumed her game once again.

“What about that babysitter we used once-I think her name was Laurie?”  Lee asked.  “She was pretty good with Jenna.”

“Who do you think Jamie’s taking to his Halloween Party?” From the kitchen came the sound of an oven door opening and then closing. “Last time Laurie was here she and Jamie hit it off almost immediately.”

“Ah…” Lee tried to think. Amanda had once said that family life and The Agency didn’t always go well together; this was one of the times that he had to agree. “Francine could do it. She always makes a big fuss over Jenna when she comes over.”

Amanda came in from the kitchen, baster still in hand. “Francine?” her tone was doubtful. “Lee, I know Francine likes Jenna, but I think she’d be just a little overwhelmed by having to take a two-year-old trick or treating.”

“Well we have to have to think of something.” Lee stood up and walked over to her. “I don’t think Billy’s going to let us off the hook for this one.”

Amanda put her arms around her husband’s neck. “We’ll think of something, don’t worry,” she said. “In the meantime, I need you to make a little trip to the grocery store.”

“The grocery store, hmm?” Lee murmured, leaning in for a kiss. “I knew there was a reason you were suddenly being so friendly.”

“That’s not the only reason, Stetson,” Amanda said. Lee’s lips captured her own--the kiss seemed to go on forever before it was broken by a pair of tiny hands tugging at their pants legs.

“Mommy, potty,” Jenna said, stretching up on her tiptoes and holding her arms up.

“That’s a summons you can’t ignore,” Lee said as Amanda bent down to pick up Jenna. “All right, what do we need at the store?”

“Some coffee and bacon for tomorrow morning,” Amanda said. “Oh, and if you could get a little bottle of wine to go with the chicken that’d be nice.”

“Wine?” Jenna asked.

“Not for you, munchkin,” Lee  told Jenna as he gave both his wife and daughter a quick peck on the cheek. “Love you-I’ll be right back.”

SMK SMK SMK

“Thank you,” Lee said, as he took his change from the cashier.

“Have a nice evening, Mr. Stetson,” the checkout girl said. Lee picked up his bag and went out into the parking lot. As he was putting the bag into the trunk, someone tapped him on the shoulder.

“Excuse me,” a weirdly familiar voice said. “But I think this dance is mine.”

Before Lee had time to react something sharp-a needle?-plunged into his arm and the world went black.

TBC