- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter Seven

October 30, 1991

5:30 PM

It was the height of happy-hour in Nedlinger’s. The couple was seated in a table at the back, away from prying eyes and ears. It was just the right place for a couple to have an intimate moment; but the current conversation taking place was far from intimate.

“I can’t believe you got yourself kicked out!” the woman’s voice came out in an angry hiss. “What were you thinking about, Ren?”

“You weren’t there, okay?” Ren said. “That brat of Stetson’s is impossible. If the other kid hadn’t interfered I would have done a lot more than just push her down.”

The woman’s dark eyes flashed. “The great King Cobra,” she said. “Shot down by a toddler.”

Ren’s hand shot out, grabbing her wrist. “You should watch what you say,” he said, squeezing her arm. “You know that I’ve killed people for less.”

The woman jerked her hand away. “Don’t threaten me,” she said. “You realize you probably made her suspicious? What if she talks to someone at the agency, Ren? This could blow the whole thing.”

“I’ll deal with it,” Ren said. “After this evening the Stetsons will no longer be any trouble.”

October 30, 1991

6:00 PM

“Mom, I’m telling you I don’t want to go,” Jamie said.

Amanda was in her son’s bedroom, throwing some clothes and other things into an overnight bag. “And I’m telling you that you don’t have a choice,” she said. “You’re going to stay with your father and Carrie for a couple of days. I’ve already called them and they’re expecting you.” Amanda zipped up the bag-after all these years with Lee she’d become an expert on packing quickly.

“What about Jenna?” Jamie said.

“Jenna’s staying with Francine,” Amanda said. Personally she still had doubts about Francine’s ability to handle a child that age, but Francine had assured her that it would be no problem.

“Okay, but have you forgotten about the party tomorrow night?” Jamie said. “Laurie will be mad if I stand her up and you said I could borrow the car.”

“Well if it’s safe to go I’ll tell your father and you can borrow his car if you want,” Amanda said, handing the bag to her son. “If not, they’ll be other parties.”

“This is about The Agency, isn’t it?” Jamie said.

“Yes,” Amanda said, trying to think of what else she could tell him. She and Lee had decided to tell both Philip and Jamie about their work last January. Amanda really wasn’t sure of what their reaction would be, but surprisingly they seemed to take it pretty well. Jamie had even said that he thought having spies for parents was ‘pretty cool’. The question was, how would he feel now that it was interfering with his social life and his very first girlfriend? “Jamie it has something to do with what happened this afternoon with- Lee. I can’t give you any more details right now-”

“Because it could put me in danger, I know,” Jamie said. “Just promise me one thing, Mom. Be careful.”

Amanda hugged Jamie tightly. “I will,” she said. “Thank you for being so good about this.”

Downstairs, Jenna started yelling. “Want out! Want out! Want out!”

“She hates that playpen, you know.” Jamie said with a grin as he broke away from his mother’s embrace.

“I know, but it’s the only way to get her to stay in one place,” Amanda said. “If you’ll lock all the doors I’ll get Jenna and her bag and then we can leave.” They went downstairs, where Amanda intercepted Jenna, who was making a valiant effort to try and pull herself up and over the top of the playpen.

“Just where do think you’re going, young lady?” Amanda said as she grabbed the two year old, who was already dressed in a jacket and hat for going out in the chilly October weather. “Didn’t I tell you to stay?”

“Don’t want to, Mommy.” Jenna said. “We go out?”

“Yes, we’re going out.” Amanda grabbed Jenna’s bag in one hand while balancing Jenna in the other. “Jamie!” she called.

“I’m afraid Jamie has a little bit of a problem,” A man’s voice said. Jamie walked slowly into the family room towards Amanda. His face was pale, his eyes large and frightened behind his glasses-and it was easy to see why. Lee-no, not Lee, Amanda thought. Ren-he had a gun jammed right up against her son’s side. Ren’s expression was so cold, so alien, so different from the Lee she knew that Amanda wondered how she could have ever been fooled. Jenna stiffened in her mother’s arms and Amanda fought to stay calm for her sake.

“Glad to see you’re all packed, Mrs. Stetson,” Ren Jepard said. “Because you and your lovely family are going for a little ride with me.”

“Where are you taking us?” Amanda said.

“You mean you haven’t guessed?” Ren said. “You’re going to join your husband.”

TBC