- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter Five

October 30, 1991

11:00 AM

They decided to meet at Nedlinger’s again. Because it was still
technically morning, the place was relatively empty and there would be
no one around to overhear their conversation.

“How is she taking it?” the woman said, her dark eyes looking into his over the rim of her wineglass.

“Not very well,” Ren said. “I don’t think she’s on to me, but she knows something’s wrong.”

“Just a little while longer,” the woman said. “In the meantime, try and play it cool. I would hate for you to have to dispose of Mrs. Stetson-we don’t need complications this close to completion.”

“And Scarecrow?” Ren said.

She laughed. “Head full of straw-and drugs. He’s no trouble at all.”

“A little overconfident, aren’t we?” Ren said.

“I’m as confident as I need to be,” the woman said. “Like I said-no trouble.”

Ren swallowed down the rest of his whisky and soda. “And what will you do if he does become a problem?” he asked.

The woman snapped her fingers. “Then he goes six feet under,” she said, placing her hand on top of his. “After all, we’re a team, aren’t we?”

“Sure babe,” Ren Jepard smiled. “We’re a team.”

SMK SMK SMK

Amanda was surrounded by fog, everywhere she looked. The moisture from the fog clung to her skin and hair-as hard as she tried, she couldn’t see any way out. “Help!” she called out as loud as she could. “Someone please help me!” But the sound was swallowed up by the fog and didn’t carry very far. So Amanda kept running, until she couldn’t run anymore. Then she saw a familiar figure, standing in the distance with his back to her.

“Lee,” Amanda said. “Oh, I’m so glad to see you. It feels like I’ve been wandering in this fog forever and no matter where I go I can’t find a way out…” her voice faltered as she realized he wasn’t responding. Amanda touched Lee’s shoulder and as he turned to face her, she could see the reason why.

He had no face.

“Amanda!” A woman’s voice was calling her name. Her Mother?

“Amanda, wake up!” A woman’s voice said. Startled, Amanda opened her eyes, and looked up to see Francine.

“Here,” A steaming mug of coffee was plunked down in front of her. “You look like you could use this,” Francine said.

“Thank you,” Amanda said, rubbing her hands over her face and trying to wake herself up. She took a small sip of the coffee. “I needed that. I didn’t sleep very well last night.”

“So I gathered,” Francine said. “Where’s Lee?”

“Lee?” Amanda said. “Oh-well-he had to go out. He said he had some errands to run.” Actually, Lee had said very little about where he was going-it was obvious he was trying to avoid a discussion about last night.

“Is everything okay, Amanda?” Francine asked, a rare look of concern flitting across her features.

“Everything’s fine,” Amanda said, with false brightness. “Why shouldn’t it be?” Francine said nothing, just stared at her. Amanda sighed. “I’m so sorry- I’m a terrible liar, Francine.”

“That much I know,” Francine said. “Look, does it have to do with the reason you called us last night?” Amanda fell silent, looking down at her desk. “Want to talk about it?” Francine said.

Amanda nodded. Francine wasn’t generally someone that she confided in, but right now she badly needed to talk to someone. “Lee didn’t get home until ten o’clock,” Amanda said. “And then when he finally came home he told me a ridiculous story about coming here to work and then going to Nedlinger’s. It turned out to be half-true.”

“He went to Nedlinger’s?” Francine asked.

“He went to Nedlinger’s all right,” Amanda said as she took a shaky breath. “He was there with another woman.”

“Oh my-” Francine said, falling silent for a moment. “Amanda, something else must be going on. That doesn’t sound like Lee at all.”

“Doesn’t it?” Amanda said. “What about the Lee that had not just one, but four black books, Francine? Every time I turned around he used to be with some other woman. Remember that? There was Randi, Margo, Leslie-”

“That’s just it, Amanda,” Francine said. “Used to be. Look, I know I didn’t exactly support you and Lee’s relationship in the beginning, but since he’s been with you and had Jenna, he’s been a different person. He wouldn’t do this to you, I know it.”

A different person, Amanda thought. That was what Lee seemed like last night-only not in a good way. Last night it had felt like someone had taken her husband and replaced him with a stranger. “Maybe I don’t know him as well as I thought I did,” she said.

“Look, just promise me you’ll talk to Lee before jumping to any conclusions,” Francine said.

“I promise,” Amanda said.

“Good,” Francine said. “Listen, you haven’t seen Julie around here, have you?”

“Haven’t seen her all morning,” Amanda said. Julie Porter was Francine’s new assistant. A recent college graduate, she’d started working for the Agency a little over a month ago. Personally Amanda thought that Julie was a pleasant person, albeit very quiet and shy. But Francine had other opinions.

Francine rolled her eyes. “I swear,” she said. “The past couple of days that girl’s been disappearing on me-and now she’s over half-an-hour late back from lunch. Those reports of mine need to be typed and turned into Billy by two.”

“Well listen,” Amanda said. “I don’t have much to do right now, so if you want to bring me the reports I can type them right up for you.”

Francine smiled gratefully. “Thank you-that would be a big help,” she said. “I’ll go get them. Oh and Amanda-if you need to talk later, you know where to reach me.”

“I’ll keep it in mind,” Amanda said, though personally she doubted whether talking would do much good. Her husband seemed to be slipping away from her and there didn’t seem to be much that Amanda could do about it.

October 30, 1991

4:30 PM

Amanda added some more broth and spices to the chicken soup she was making as she held the phone against her ear. “Yes, Miss Pierce, I certainly understand your concern.” She said. “And no, I don’t know where Jenna could have picked up that word, but I’m sure she doesn’t want to assassinate anybody…Oh I agree, it was wrong of her to say that to little Carl Mitchell and yes, I will be more careful about what she sees on TV. Bye, Miss. Pierce.” Amanda hung up the cordless phone on its receiver and went into the family room.

“Lee, I just got a call from Jenna’s teacher,” she began. Lee held up his hand.

“I’m watching the movie,” he told her.

“Yeah mom, this is my favorite part,” Jamie said.

Amanda sat on the couch beside Lee and watched as the girl on the screen opened her eyes. Her face was an expressionless mask. The man who had been leaning over her drew back with a horrified expression.

“I went to sleep, Miles, and it happened,” the girl said in a cold voice.

“Oh, Becky.” Miles said sadly.

“You were right,” Becky said. .

“I should never have left you,” Miles said.

“Stop acting like a fool, Miles, and accept us!” Becky snapped.

“No!” Miles gasped. “Never!”

“Jamie, isn’t there something else we can watch with Jenna in the room?” Amanda said.

“Come on, Mom, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers is my favorite Halloween movie,” Jamie said. “And it’s not like Jenna’s paying attention anyway.” He was right, Amanda realized. Jenna was sitting on a blanket in the middle of the floor, playing with foam blocks as she sang a little song to herself. Amanda looked back at the screen again, as the man was now running down the highway, screaming at people that if they didn’t get away soon, they could be next.

“Did you pick up the costumes for the ball?” Amanda asked Lee.

Lee wore an irritated expression on his face. He had a black bag in his lap and he was going through some of the contents. “I told you that I would,” he said. “I’ll show them to you later.”

“What’s in the bag?” Amanda said.

“Things that don’t concern you,” Lee said. Those five words felt like a slap to the face. Amanda felt tears sting her eyes.

“Fine,” she said frostily. “I’ll be in the kitchen if you need me.” Lee’s only response to that was a wave of his hand.

Pod people, Amanda thought with a little shiver. Maybe the idea wasn’t so far-fetched after all. She went back to the kitchen and stirred the soup, making sure to turn the burner down to simmer so it wouldn’t reduce too much. From the family room Amanda suddenly heard Jenna’s voice.

“Pease see it?”

“No,” Lee said.

“Pease,” Jenna said. “Pease! Peeeeese!!” The last word was a shriek. Suddenly Amanda heard a thud, followed by the sound of Jenna crying.

“No!” Jamie shouted. Amanda dropped the spoon and ran into the family room. Jenna was lying on the floor. Jamie stood in front of Jenna and blocked a very angry Lee.

“What’s going on?” Amanda said, scooping Jenna into her arms and giving her a brief examination. Thankfully she seemed to be unhurt, at least physically. Jenna buried her face in Amanda’s chest, sobbing convulsively.

Jamie looked angry-Amanda didn’t think she’d ever seen her son so angry. “Lee knocked her down, mom,” he said. “Then he lifted his arm like he was going to hit her.”

“She was being a brat, she deserved it,” Lee said. “Amanda, you heard her, didn’t you?”

Amanda looked disbelievingly into her husband’s hazel eyes. They were cold and held no trace of compassion for the little girl who was sobbing in her arms. Amanda felt the same kind of horror that the man in the movie must have felt.

“She's a two-year old, Lee. What's your excuse? Get out,” Amanda said. Lee opened his mouth to say something, but Amanda didn’t let him. Her words came fast and furious. “I don’t know what you’re hiding and I don’t know what your problem is, but until you resolve it you’re not welcome here. Do I make myself clear?”

“Perfectly,” Lee said. “I’ll just get my things.”

“Leave them,” Amanda said. “I’ll have them sent to you later.”

Lee stared at her for a moment, saying nothing. “Fine,” he said. The front door slammed shut. Amanda’s legs suddenly felt too weak and shaky to support her weight. Slowly she crumpled down onto the sofa, still holding Jenna. The little girl’s cries had turned into small hiccups, and Amanda patted Jenna’s damp back absently.

“You need anything, mom?” Jamie asked.

Amanda was amazed that she still knew how to speak. “No sweetheart,” she said. “I’m fine. Thank you for protecting your sister.”

“You’re welcome. I’ve never seen Lee act that way before,” Jamie said. “What’s going on?”

“I wish I knew,” Amanda said. “Sweetheart, why don’t you go upstairs-I’ll be fine, I promise.” Jamie started slowly up the stairs. “I love you,” Amanda called.

“I love you too,” Jamie said. Amanda heard her son’s door close. I’ll be fine, she thought, closing her eyes. How can I be fine when my world’s just fallen apart?

“Bag,” Jenna said, squirming in Amanda’s arms. Amanda’s eyes opened; she noticed the bag lying open beside her on the sofa. “Was this what you wanted from Daddy?” Amanda asked Jenna.

“Not Daddy,” Jenna shook her head, a stubborn expression on her tearstained face. “No Daddy. Daddy is nice. Can I see it, Mommy?” Her daughter reached towards the bag.

“Not now,” Amanda said, smoothing Jenna’s hair. “Let Mommy look first, okay?”

“’Kay,” Jenna said grudgingly.

With one hand Amanda sorted through the contents. There was a rifle scope but no rifle, some ammunition clips-Amanda’s hand wrapped around a cylindrical object and she pulled it out. It was a penicillin bottle-the name on the side read L. Stetson and the prescribing physician was listed as a Dr. Worrell. But Lee was allergic to penicillin-severely allergic, in fact.

A different person, Amanda thought, realization dawning as all the pieces clicked into place. Maybe that’s because he really was. She had no idea who this man wearing Lee's face was or what had happened to her Lee, but she was going to find out.

TBC