- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter Two

Chapter Two

October 29, 1991

9:00 PM

Where was he?

Lee opened his eyes, seeing only darkness at first. His head pounded with pain. What had happened to him? The last thing he remembered was the supermarket, a voice, a pain in his arm, and then-nothing. Lee tried to see if he could move or stand only to discover that his arms and legs were securely tied to a chair. There was a click and a single light bulb dimly illuminated the room. Lee could see a blurry figure standing right in front of him.

“Welcome back to the land of the living, Mr. Stetson,” a man’s voice said. “I was beginning to think I’d given you a little too much.”

Lee frowned. There was something about that voice that was familiar, and as his eyesight cleared a little and the figure stepped closer, he could see why.

Lee Stetson was staring at a perfect double of himself. Everything was identical, even down to the clothes the man wore-for a moment Lee was too shocked to speak. Amanda had been right when she’d told him years ago about coming face to face with her doppelganger Karen. Seeing someone who looked just like you was definitely an unsettling experience.

“Who are you?” Lee asked.

“Funny that you should ask.” the man walked closer to Lee as he spoke. “Don’t you know? Your agency once gave me safe passage out of the country along with one hundred thousand dollars in spending money.” He paused. “Of course, that was after your bullets nearly put an end to my life. You probably didn’t think I’d survive, did you? Or did you even check?”

“Believe me, I checked.” Lee remembered the case clearly; it had all started with Amanda receiving a one-hundred thousand dollar paycheck, and had ended with the capture of a trio within the Agency who’d tried to take US policy into their own hands. “Ren Jepard.”

Ren smiled. “At your service.”

“So is that what this all about?” Lee had to look away from him—Ren—as he spoke. The thought of that man wearing his face made him feel ill. “Some sort of revenge?”

“Nothing so crass,” Ren said. “Though it does give me pleasure to use you to achieve my goals. Let’s just say that I’m being paid by certain parties to make sure that Mr. Patrov never has a chance to give you that microdot at the ball.”

“What certain parties?” Lee’s mind raced. It had to be someone within the Agency-no one else would know that he and Amanda were assigned to that case.

“Now that’d be telling,” Ren said. “And I really don’t have time to waste. Your wife and family must be wondering what happened to you. If I don’t put in an appearance they’ll start to worry.” Lee noticed that Ren was now wearing his jacket. Ren reached into the jacket's pocket, pulling out Lee’s wallet and flipping through it. “I must say that you and Amanda have a beautiful child.”

“You keep your hands off my family,” Lee spoke through gritted teeth, trying to rise from the chair. “You so much as lay a finger on any of them and I swear-”

Ren Jepard burst out laughing. “You’ll what, Mr. Stetson? Right now you’re not in a position to do much of anything. I have no reason to harm your family, providing they don’t interfere with my plans.”

“What about me?” Lee didn’t buy a word this man said for one second.

“You’re another matter, Mr. Stetson,” Ren said. “But you’re worthless to me dead. The secrets you hold are very valuable-I’m sure there are many governments who would pay me to get their hands on you.” Lee watched as Ren pulled out a small clear bottle and a hypodermic needle. He filled the needle, clear liquid squirting out of the top. “So right now, I need you to stay put.” Lee tried to move away but the ropes held him too tightly; he felt the sting of the needle in his arm.

I’ll find a way back, Amanda, Lee thought. Just don’t give up.

The world faded away as he lost consciousness.

TBC