- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 11

October 31, 1991

6:00 PM

“I am not going to wear this tonight,” Lee said as he studied himself in the hotel’s bathroom mirror.

“Honestly, Lee, how bad can it be?” Amanda’s voice floated in from the bedroom, where she was getting herself and Jenna ready.

“Amanda, I look ridiculous.” Lee said. “That’s how bad it can be. You should have let me go and pick out the costumes.”

“Listen,” Amanda said, “after what happened the last time I don’t think I’ll ever send you shopping by yourself again. Francine told me that these were the best couples’ costumes that the store had left, and what she picked out for Jenna is adorable.”

“I’m glad someone looks adorable,” Lee muttered.

. “Aren’t you coming out?” Amanda said. “The car will be here any minute to take us to the hotel.”

“Okay,” Lee said. “Only if you promise not to laugh.”

“Lee, I promise,” Amanda said. Lee opened the bathroom door and stepped out. Amanda was sitting on the bed in a red velvet gown and a medieval-looking headdress. In her lap sat Jenna, dressed like a little orange jack-o-lantern.

“Oh my-” Amanda had to bite down on her lips as she looked at her husband. “It’s really, well-” her lips were firmly closed, but a suspicious sound managed to escape.

“You promised not to laugh,” Lee said accusingly.

“I’m not -You know, it’s really not that bad,” Amanda said. “It’s very heroic looking. And anyway-I’ve always wanted to be Maid Marian.”

“You make a stunning Maid Marian,” Lee said, taking Amanda’s hand and pressing it against his lips. “And Jenna is an adorable pumpkin. But in the meantime I have to wear a hat with a feather in it.”

Amanda stood, Jenna still in her arms. The expression on her face was suddenly serious. “We have more than Halloween costumes to worry about tonight,” she reminded him

“I know,” Lee said. He had spoken to Billy an hour ago- Julie was refusing to cooperate with Agency interrogators and Ren Jepard was still a free man. The dream that he’d had earlier, of Ren holding Amanda with a gun to her head, came flooding back.

“Amanda, stay close to me tonight,” Lee said. “We know Ren’s going to pull something tonight. I don’t want anything to happen to you.

“Or to Patrov and the microdot,” Amanda said.

“That too,” Lee said.

“The mic’odot?” Jenna repeated, her head craning upwards to look at her parents.

“Like you said, we’re really going to have to start watching what we say around her,” Amanda said. “Now Jenna,” she said as she gave her daughter a kiss on the cheek. “I want you to be good for Aunt Francine tonight, okay?”

“Want to stay with you, Mommy,” Jenna’s lip quivered. “And Daddy. Pease?”

“Jenna, you can’t,” Amanda said.

“Pease, Daddy,” Jenna said.

“No, Mommy’s right, munchkin,” Lee said, tousling her hair as he also kissed Jenna’s cheek. “Be good and we’ll be home before you know it. Okay?”

“’Kay,” Jenna said tearfully.

Just then the doorbell rang. Amanda’s hand found Lee’s and held it.

“It’s showtime,” she murmured.

TBC