- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks: Rita and Miss Edna, you make my stories readable by catching all my grammar and other errors. A special thanks to Anne who gave me the idea on how to expand this story.

Notes: This story answers the 9/5 Challenge to use the words nightgown, spooky, gooey, fair, and cards. It also answers Tera’s challenge to use five TV titles in a story. I know some of the shows weren’t on the air during the setting of this story, but it’s fanfic, so let’s pretend they were.
Doppelganger

Her NIGHTGOWN billowed around her legs as she walked through the SPOOKY grounds of the FAIR. Owls hooted in the trees, making her clutch the neck of her gown together with one hand. A chill ran down her back. Something had drawn her to this particular spot. She’d awakened from a sound sleep, knowing someone was in jeopardy. Someone had called to her. A whisper of a voice on the wind.

A sound came from one of the darkened tents. Silently, she padded toward it. Her hand shook as she slowly raised the flap. Moonlight streamed inside the tent, illuminating a large chained box in the corner.

A pounding sound came from inside the box.

The chains rattled.

Her heartbeat quickened; her pulse raced. Someone was inside, and they wanted to get out.

“Mother.”

Dotty's heart leaped into her throat, and her hands squished into the GOOEY chocolate-chip cookie dough.

“Amanda! You scared me.”

“I'm sorry. I called to you twice, but you didn’t hear me. I wanted to know if you were playing CARDS tonight.”

“Yes. I'm making the cookies now.”

“What are you watching?”

“It's a horror movie. Well, I wouldn’t classify it as horror. It’s more of a romance, with a bit of paranormal thrown in. You see, the vampire is locked in the box, and he’s waiting for the heroine to set him free.”

“And sink his teeth into her.” Amanda sat down at the kitchen island. “That doesn't look like a coffin.”

“I know. The man he thought had been his best friend had tricked him. He’d trusted him, known him for ten years. Even told him his secret about being one of the undead. Over time, he noticed his friend began to change and kept hinting that he’d also like to have eternal life. When he refused to turn him, he locked him in the makeshift coffin. The friend wanted him to go into a bloodlust. When that happened, a vampire couldn’t control who he bit for his life-sustaining blood. The friend planned to be the one to open the box and be turned. Look, she's about to unchain the coffin.”

“She’d better run.” Amanda began to watch the movie.

“Oh, no. When she lifts the lid, she'll find her true love inside. She’d been secretly seeing him against her father’s wishes and didn’t know he was a creature of the night. Although she did think it strange she never saw him during the light of day. He'll bite her, but only take enough to combat the bloodlust.”

“You've seen this movie before?”

Dotty nodded. “It's one of my favorites. In the end, she decides she wants to spend eternity with him, and he turns her. He's not evil. He just happens to be a vampire and will live forever.”

Amanda laughed as she pinched a bit of cookie dough and popped it into her mouth. “Only you could find romance in a vampire story.”

“Well, it was this or a dinosaur movie repeat, and I can't abide watching one of those movies again. I mean, how many times can Godzilla destroy Tokyo? Besides, the actor playing the vampire is a sexy hunk. His name is Bruce Boxlight or something like that. It’s an odd last name. He’s an eleven in my book.” She pointed the spoon at her daughter. “And you know I don’t give out elevens very often. Well, in real life. I give out more for actors. But even then I’m picky.”

Amanda spooned cookie dough onto the baking sheet. “I’ve noticed you’ve been watching a lot of vampire shows lately: BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL, DARK SHADOWS, FOREVER KNIGHT, MOONLIGHT. All with very sexy leading men.”

“What can I say, there’s just something about a man who spends eternity looking for the right woman to make him complete that melts my heart.” Dotty sighed. “Look. The commercials are over. She’s beginning to raise the lid on the coffin.”

Amanda walked around the kitchen island and slid the cookie sheet into the oven. When she sat back down, she saw the vampire standing next to the woman in a nightgown. She squinted her eyes, making him the sole focus of her vision. The small TV screen made it hard to really tell.

“Did you set the oven timer?” Mother asked, not taking her eyes off the TV on the counter.

“Yes.” The more Amanda watched the movie, the more she couldn’t take her eyes off the actor. She really needed to see his face on a larger TV. “Mother, let’s go into the den and watch the movie on a larger screen.”

A minute later, she sat next to her mother on the sofa. The screen filled with the image of the vampire, looking deep into the eyes of his ladylove.

Amanda still couldn’t take her eyes off the man playing the vampire. The actor bore an uncanny resemblance to Lee. ‘Well, they do say everyone has a double somewhere in the world. It looks like Lee’s is an actor.’ She needed to find out what other movies he’d appeared in. Maybe she’d rent one. Then she’d surprise Lee by bringing it over to the apartment for them to watch.

Would he notice the similarity, too?

Probably not. He’d say they looked nothing alike.

It was all in the eyes. This Bruce did have the most amazing eyes. Beautiful hazel eyes. Penetrating. Just like Lee’s.

Tense lines furrowed the actor’s forehead. Amanda could almost feel his anguish at the thought of having to bite the girl to stay alive.

*****
His eyes glowed red. A single blood tear fell from the corner of his eye. She heard the despair in his voice as he whispered, “I’m sorry.” His mouth opened, and for the first time, she saw his fangs. She gasped as he bent his head to her neck and began to suck. Her eyelids fluttered, and she fell limply into his embrace.

*****

Well, Lee didn’t have fangs. But he did like to bite. Well, not exactly bite. More like nibble on certain areas of her body.

“Oh my gosh! Something’s burning. We didn’t hear the timer go off.” Mother sprang from the sofa and flew to the kitchen.

“Did they all burn?” Amanda called after her.

Mother placed the baking sheet on the wire rack to cool. “I don’t think so. I think I caught them in time. The edges only look slightly burned. Good thing this was my last batch.” She returned to the sofa and sat down.

“If they’re burned, the boys won’t care. They’ll eat them.”

The movie continued, and by the end, it had been revealed that drinking blood from another didn’t cause pain. In fact, it turned out to be a highly erotic experience.

The final scene ended with the image of the vampire looking deep into the eyes of his ladylove and her gazing back at him with the same deep love mirrored in hers. Fangs protruded from her mouth. They stood hand in hand under the light of a full moon.

When the end credits rolled across the screen, Mother gasped. “I just realized this Bruce actor looks just like Lee!”

“They do look a bit alike. I’m going to see if I can find more movies he’s been in. I want to make more comparisons. It might have just been the way the actor had his hair styled or the lighting used to film the movie.”

A knock sounded on the back door.

“That must be Lee.” Amanda went to let him in. “Hi.” She kissed him in greeting.

“Hi. Mission accomplished. I got a video from the rental store.” He held up the bag.

“Speak of the devil.” Mother scooped the cooled cookies into a container.

“I’ve been called a lot of things, but never a devil.”

“I meant, we were just talking about you. We were watching a vampire movie, and the lead actor could be your double.”

He smiled. “His name is Bruce, isn’t it?”

“How did you know? Here, have a cookie.” She handed him one with slightly burned edges.

“People have been mistaking me for this man for several years now. He starred in a western series a while back, and everyone told me we could be twins. I had women stop me in the streets and ask me if my name was Bruce. I was curious one night, and the show happened to be on TV, and I watched. I didn’t think we looked anything alike.”

“Well, he sure does look like you in my opinion. I’d better get changed. Kurt will be here soon to pick me up.” Mother hung her apron on its hook and headed up the stairs.

Lee grabbed another cookie from the plate.

“Save those for dessert. The boys will be home soon.” Amanda picked up the phone. “I’m going to order the pizza now.”

After hanging up the phone, she joined Lee on the couch. “Dinner will be here in a half hour. What movie did you get?” She picked up the bag from the coffee table and opened it.

“TRON. It’s about a man who gets transported into a computer game. The special effects are supposed to be state of the art. I think the boys will love it.”

Amanda turned the video box over and read the summary. Then she noticed the list of characters and laughed.

“Did you know the Bruce actor is in this?”

“No. You’re kidding, right?” He grabbed the video box.

“Nope. He plays TRON.”

Lee groaned and tossed it back onto the coffee table. “I hope this guy doesn’t get another TV series.”

“Why?”

“Because then everyone will think I’m him again.”

“Now tell me the truth. Those women who stopped you in the street and asked if you were Bruce. What did you tell them?”

“I said yes, of course.”

“Humph. Figures.”

“I knew you were going to say that. I was a different man then. I pretended to be a lot of people over the years during undercover assignments.” Lee wrapped his arm around her and pulled her to his side. “I don’t want women thinking I’m someone else now. I’m very much taken.”

“And don’t you forget it.” She caressed his cheek.

“Never.” His lips descended to hers in a passionate kiss.

The End