- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The standard disclaimer applies. This takes place post series and the marriage, thank heaven, is now public.
A New Discovery

There's nothing like a tropical island - warm sand, crystal blue water, gentle waves lapping the beach, a soft breeze ruffling the fronds of a nearby palm TREE. Ah yes, this was the life and Lee Stetson planned to enjoy each and every minute of it. Lying on their make-shift bed, he watched his wife light another CANDLE and place it near the pillows.

Amanda knelt beside him and smiled sweetly. She then began to cover his chest with wet, warm kisses. Ah, yes, this was the life.

Lee watched her for a moment and then gave himself over to the sweet torture. If he had his way, he'd endure this kind of torture each and every day. He was pleasantly surprised as her fingers brushed the waistband of his boxers. Now things were about to heat up. Just as he opened his eyes, there was a bright flash of light.

"Amanda, what was that?" She didn't answer for she was no longer there. He reached out his arm hoping to make contact but all he felt was the coolness of the sheet. "Amanda?" he called again. Another flash of light. What was going on? He listened carefully. He didn't hear any thunder. Could it be from the candles? Maybe they had ignited something. Desperate to locate his wife, he called out once more. Hearing no answer, he bolted upright.

For a moment, he was disoriented. As his eyes became accustomed to the darkness he sighed. Instead of lying in a make-shift bed on a tropical island, Lee found himself in their bed at home. `Damn,' he muttered. He hated waking up like this - with a feeling of impending doom. Something just didn't feel right. Taking a deep breath, he decided since he was up that he might as well check out the house and make sure things were on the up and up.

He slipped into his BATHROBE and turned toward the bedroom door when once again, he saw a flash of light shine under the door. And then it was gone. `What the hell!' he muttered to himself. A number of scenarios danced through his head. First and foremost in his mind was danger. Had someone broken in? Was the family about to be harmed?

That would go over real well with Amanda. It had taken him several days of coaxing to convince her that she should indeed accompany Dotty to Hershey, PA for a spa weekend. It had taken every bit of his Stetson charm but he had finally convinced her that he would be able to handle things at home.

The light flashed again and Lee slowly opened the door. He half expected to find the KGB standing in the hallway or maybe it was Phillip sneaking in from some late-night excursion. Once he reached the hallway, the light flashed again, off and then on, and he breathed a sigh of relief for he now knew its source.

Lee headed first for the boys' room. Quietly poking his head in the door, he noted that both boys were sound asleep. He bent down, grabbed a pair of JEANS lying and the floor, and tossed them on a nearby chair. He then rescued the sheet Jamie had kicked to the floor and lightly draped it back over the sleeping boy. Closing the door, he then headed down the hall.

With cat-like grace he opened the door and silently observed the room's only occupant. Softly so as not to disburse or frighten, he said, "so it is you."

Hearing his daddy's voice, eleven month old Colin turned and a four tooth grin spread over his face. Even with his chubby cheeks, there was no mistaking those tell-tale Lee Stetson DIMPLES. There was no doubt that this was indeed Lee's son.

"Da-Da," Colin squealed. He squealed with delight as he flipped the light switch on then off. Even though at eleven months, Colin had only mastered a few recognizable words, he babbled excitedly about his new discovery. Lee was tickled by the gibberish and the facial expressions of his young son as he jabbered on and on.

Lee reached into the crib and picked up the boy. He gently tossed him into the air. "I see there's something else you learned today. Won't Mommy be surprised when she gets back?"

Lee made quick work of checking and changing Colin's diaper. Then as he picked him up once again, he said, "Hey, buddy, how `bout a snack?' He headed to the kitchen and fixed a small bottle for the baby and poured himself a glass of milk which he downed in one gulp. Heading back upstairs, he cooed to the baby. "Okay, now that you've had your fun tonight, it's time for us to go back to bed."

Lee settled the boy in his arms as he sat down in the rocking chair. Colin sucked happily on his bottle and Lee talked softly to him until Colin drifted off to sleep. He loved moments like this - just rocking his son - the house was quiet and all was right with the world. After a while he arose careful not to wake the baby and gently place him in his crib. Leaning over, he placed a soft kiss on the boy's chubby cheek. "Nite, little one.”

Before leaving the room, Lee switched off the lamp so Colin wouldn't be able to turn it on again. If he flipped the switch, nothing would happen.

Heading back toward his bedroom he thought, `Now maybe I can get back to that tropical island…