Home. She turned into the driveway of her Rockville home and wondered
how ambiguous that word could be – home.

Stopping in front of the Continental farmhouse, she contemplated
home. For some, it consisted of the house that held their various
material possessions. But for her, it was much more.

It was the laughter that lay beyond the oak door. It was the hugs
that her family shared daily. It was the loving kisses of her
husband.

She walked into the back yard and saw her home.

A small, fair-haired girl pulled her father by the hand and
squealed, "Mommy's home!"

*****

The Last Day

The small fluorescent lamp cast a soft glow across the darkened room.
Every chair was occupied with a sleeping member of his family. Only
one thing could have made this moment more perfect – if his parents
had been here.

Glancing toward the hospital bed to make sure his beautiful wife was
still asleep, he adjusted the bundle in his arms. He stared into
hazel eyes that reflected his own and smiled.

"Hi," he whispered, "How's Daddy's girl, huh?"

He knew this would be a day he'd remember for the rest of his life –
the last day of his 39th year.

*****

Guys

He dragged his skinned leg along the sidewalk. He knew he should've been more
careful, but knee pads were for sissies. At least he'd had on a helmet when his
head slammed against the concrete.

Walking up the drive, he noticed his step-dad washing the car. "What happened to
you, Sport?"

"Well. . . I was doing this ollie when my skateboard went left and my body went
right."

His eyes widened when his mom stood up from behind the car. "Phillip, why would
you do that without your pads?"

Winking at Lee, he smiled. "'Cause, the chicks dig it!"

*****