- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimers: Scarecrow and Mrs. King is copyrighted to Warner Brothers and Shoot the Moon Production Company. This story, however, is copyrighted to the mentioned authors. This story is for entertainment purposes ONLY.
"Five miles? You want me to run five miles?"

Billy was already feeling out of breath, just from repeating the
ludicrous new physical stipulation back to Dr Smith.

"Why yes William, five miles. It shouldn't be too much of an ask now
should it?"

Billy choose to ignore the sarcasm in the older man's voice, far
better to work out why this was now being asked of him.
"Of course it's not to much of an ask, I was just wondering, when did
section chiefs suddenly get new physhical requirements?"

Smith smiled in response to Billy's question, the kind of smile a
cheshire cat would be envious of. "You can thank the resident boy
wonder for the new athletic code. Ever since we found out about
Scarecrow's tendency to duck his yearly physhicals, we decided to
enforce a new set of iron clad rules to assure fitness in our agents,
we wouldn't want any of our boys and girls being out of shape would
we?"

Billy groaned at the sing-song quality in Smith's voice.
Smith flashed another grin then drew a long draw of the ever present
cigarette.

"To be completed by everyone William, and I do mean everyone. Do pass
on my regards to Scarecrow when you break the news."
With a puff of smoke and one last quip, Smith left Billy's office.
Billy looked down at the doughnut resting on his desk, it had looked
so appealing ten minutes ago, now it just sat there, mocking him with
it's sugary goodness.

An idea suddenly worked it's way into Billy's brain.

Billy smiled as he hung the phone up twenty minutes later. He would
have to run the newly required five miles, that was unfortunately
clear and there was nothing to be happy about in that respect. What
was making the smile take form was the thought of the look on Dr
Smith's face when Harry Thornton visited and made it clear that
*everyone* really did mean everyone.

Or maybe the look on Scarecrow's face when Billy told him about the
new orders that even boy wonder couldn't get out of, running, ten
whole miles . . .