- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The Challenge: This week we're asking you to write a story which will include the words: SILK, KISS, PULSE, RIBBON, CURLS and, to add to the challenge, let’s have our stories take place during the THIRD SEASON.

Instructions: You must use all the words somewhere in your story, and use the theme/scenario AS WELL. You can use the words in any order - you may even use them more than once. But you MUST use them all AT LEAST ONCE. Additionally, each word must be CAPITALIZED, to stand out, and must also be used exactly as noted in the Challenge. Please no changing tenses, adding prefixes or suffixes or pluralizations.

Don't forget your submission can be any length - from one line to a full-length story - and it can be SMK, B5 or anything else as long as it has a link to either SMK or B5.
Author's Chapter Notes:
*takes place between `Utopia Now' and `Reach for the Sky'. This is my very first story that isn't post-season so please be kind. All standard disclaimers apply*
A Matched Pair

Amanda adjusted the SILK RIBBON on her crook and looked at herself in
the mirror. The pastel pink dress fell to just above her knees and
under that she wore a pair of white pantaloons. A white mop-hat sat on
top of her head-tendrils of dark CURLS fell to her shoulders and
peeked out from beneath the gathered elastic, framing Amanda's face.
But perhaps the silliest part of the whole ensemble was the
patent-leather shoes and ruffled ankle-socks. The only plus to this
whole situation was that mother and the boys had gone to Williamsburg
for the weekend. They didn't have to see her like this. Even better,
Amanda didn't have to come up with an explanation for why she was
going to a costume party in November.

There was a sound outside. Peering out the front window, Amanda
watched as Lee's car pulled into the driveway. She'd been surprised
when he'd called her up to invite her to this party- ever since that
night in the swamp it almost seemed like Lee had been trying to avoid
her. Amanda's hand brushed unconsciously over her lips as she thought
about that night-just thinking about that almost-KISS caused her PULSE
to quicken slightly.

Stop it, Amanda, she told herself sternly. This party is just
business, not a date.

The doorbell rang.

"Amanda are you ready?" Lee's muffled voice came from the other side
of the door.

"Almost," Amanda said. "You can come in and wait-I'll only be a
minute." There was silence. "Lee it's okay-mother and the boys are
in Williamsburg, remember? "

"I don't want you to see me like this," Lee said.

"That's ridiculous. If I'm going out with you I have to see you at
some point."

"You want to talk about what's ridiculous you should look at this
costume. We should've never let Francine pick these out-I don't know
what she was thinking but she's paying for this one."

"My costume isn't any better, " Amanda said. "Lee please just open
the door and come in. Please?"

"You asked for it," Lee said. "And no laughing."

"No laughing I promise," Amanda said. But when the door opened she
had to put her hand over her mouth to stifle the giggles that were
erupting.

"Oh my gosh," she said. When Francine had told Amanda that the
costumes were part of a matching pair she'd expected Lee to be dressed
as a shepherd or something but this-

"A-man-da you promised," Lee said.

"Sorry." With some difficulty Amanda managed to compose herself. She
grabbed her purse and a medium-weight jacket. "I'm ready, let's go."

"Stay close to me tonight, okay?" Lee said. "This is supposed to be a
routine drop, but you never know what might happen at these things."

"Oh I'll definitely be close," Amanda said, opening the door and
making sure it was locked behind them. Together they stepped out into
the chilly November night. "After all I don't want to lose my sheep,
do I?"

"Very funny."

The End