- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: These characters do not belong to me. They belong to WB and Shoot The Moon Productions.

Timeline: This story is set toward the end of the fourth season.
Amanda could still taste the Dom Perignon on Lee’s lips as he kissed her. The wine had been the end to a perfect evening. As the soft music echoed through the living room, Lee closed his eyes and placed her hand over his heart. They swayed back and forth in a slow rhythmic dance.

“Dinner was wonderful Lee. I really enjoyed it.” Amanda stated honestly.

Lee smiled revealing his hidden dimples. “I’m glad you liked it,” he whispered. “Don’t worry. There are definitely more good things to come.”

When the song ended, Lee gave Amanda a soft kiss as he directed her toward the dinning room.

Lee began to clear away the dirty dishes. As he made his way toward the kitchen, Amanda rose to help him. He noted the familiar smirk on her face.

Amanda turned and met his awaiting stare. “Do you know what I could go for right now?”

Lee smiled from ear to ear, while licking his lips furiously. “Oh, I’ll bet you’re in the mood for something delicious and sweet,” he whispered seductively.

Amanda knew exactly what direction their conversation was headed. “I want that too,” she agreed, “but I’m also in the mood for something cool and fruity.”

Lee nodded his head. “Okay, but let me take care of this mess, so we have no interruptions when we return,” he stated firmly.

After the dishes were cleaned up, Lee suggested they go downtown to an ice cream parlor for dessert. Amanda happily obliged and they headed to Dippy’s.

As Lee drove into town, Amanda wrapped her arm around his neck and began playing with his hair. He was quite aware of her gaze.

“What’s the matter Amanda?” Lee asked somewhat concerned.

“Now what makes you think something is wrong Lee?”

Lee smiled slightly, trying to conceal it from her. “I am a trained agent, and I can always tell when there is a problem. I also have wonderful peripheral vision,” he laughed softly.

Amanda let out a small sigh. “I just wish things could be like this all the time Lee. I just mean tonight was so special, and I just wish we could stay like this forever,” she admitted.

Mother and the boys will be home in three more days. I miss them so much, but the more time I spend with you, the more I don’t want to be apart.”

Lee nodded his head in agreement. “I know exactly how you feel Amanda. When you leave me late at night, I don’t sleep well. I want you beside me always,” he confided. “But look at the bright side, tonight isn’t over yet. We still have three glorious days left. Besides, after dessert, we can have some dessert.” He emphasized each syllable playfully.

Amanda brushed the backside of her fingers along his cheek. “I know, but lately it just doesn’t seem like we have enough time together. I miss you Lee,” she cried. “I know that sounds selfish, but I want more time together.”

Lee took his right hand and massaged her leg softly. “I know darling. We’ll work it out,” he promised.

As he approached the upcoming intersection, the light turned green. He proceeded through the traffic light, before realizing the box truck to his right was not stopping.

Amanda screamed “Lee!” She pressed her hands to the passenger window praying the truck would stop.

The next few seconds turned into two hours. Everything happened in slow motion.

The truck bashed into the passenger side of the Wagoneer, sending it into a spin, before coming to rest against the opposite traffic pole. The sound of metal crumpling, and glass shattering could be heard several blocks away. One eyewitness ran to the nearest phone booth to notify the authorities.

Another eyewitness ran up to the box truck. She opened the door to check on the driver. He was hunched over the steering wheel, holding his head. “My name is Carol. I just wanted to check on you. Are you okay?” She asked cautiously.

“I uh I’m fine. It’s just my head,” the truck driver breathed. “What happened?”

“Just relax sir. An ambulance is on the way.” Carol comforted him.

Lee opened his eyes and tried to focus on the windshield. Everything was extremely foggy. The windshield was completely shattered. He felt something warm running down his temple. He involuntarily began calling for Amanda. He wasn’t sure what happened, or where he was, but he knew he needed to find her. “Amanda! Amanda!” He tried to yell, but his voice only came out in a breathy whisper. Suddenly, everything went dark.

A few moments later, a small crowd formed around the accident scene. Another witness made his way to the remnants of the wagoneer. The passenger side was completely smashed in, with no way to enter. He went to the drivers’ side and pried the door open.

The man held his breath when he viewed the horrific scene. A head imprint was clearly visible through the windshield.

Lee was sitting back with his head tilted toward the door. A steady stream of blood was flowing from his head, making its way down his shirt. His lower extremities were pinned beneath the steering wheel.

Amanda was pressed in an awkward position. Her legs were pinned beneath the wreckage, and her torso was pressed between the mangled passenger side door and Lee’s body. Her head was slumped down, and blood was flowing steadily from her head and face.

The man shook Lee gently. “Hello? Hey, are you okay? Can you answer me?” The man pleaded over and over.

Lee fluttered his eyes open briefly. “Amanda,” he breathed. Help her please. My wife….” He trailed off quietly.

The man tried to calm him. “Shhhh, it’s okay. Just relax. My name is Bob. I’ll stay with you until the paramedics arrive.”

Lee heard the faint sounds of sirens in the distance. He tried desperately to stay awake. Painfully, he turned his head so he could see her face. “Amanda? Please talk to me,” he pleaded. She was silent.

The paramedics arrived a few moments later. Two ambulances arrived on scene, accompanied by several police cars. A fire truck was soon to follow.

The medics jumped out and immediately ran in opposite directions. Two of them headed toward the truck, and a couple headed to the wagoneer.

Bob yelled out, “Over here, please! There’s a man and woman in here, and I think they are hurt badly.”

The medics pushed Bob aside and began working on Lee and Amanda. They successfully freed Lee from the vehicle. From the paramedic’s initial assessment, he appeared to be suffering from a severe head injury and a few broken bones.

Lee opened his eyes again. He grabbed a hold of the medic tending to him. “Amanda! Please, my wife,” he gasped.

“It’s okay sir. Just calm down and relax. They are helping her now,” he assured Lee.

Lee struggled to get out more words. “Federal agents,” he breathed.

“Okay sir, we’ll handle it. Just lay down and relax,” the medic reassured him.

After fumbling through his pockets, they found his I.D. and called the Agency

The rescue workers furiously tried to free Amanda from the restraints of the vehicle. The medic attending to her sighed in relief when she successfully found a pulse.

It took over an hour to extricate her from the vehicle. Once on a stretcher, a team of several paramedics checked her over completely.

She appeared to be suffering from a major head injury, several broken bones, and some internal injuries. The team quickly stabilized her and transported her to Galilee Hospital.

The trauma team worked on Lee from head to toe. He suffered from a deep laceration to his head. A CAT scan indicated no permanent damage, however, he did have a severe concussion. He suffered from a stationary fracture to his left femur, and several broken ribs.

Amanda was brought into trauma bay number three. A team of seven doctors and four nurses tended to her care. A CAT scan indicated a bruise in her right hemisphere. She also suffered from facial lacerations, several broken ribs, and both legs were fractured in several places. She was struggling for air due to internal injuries. A chest tube was inserted into her lung to relieve the blood buildup, and she was intibated to help her breathe.

Billy marched through the double doors and headed to the front desk. After flashing his badge to the security officer, he made his way to the emergency department.

He greeted the charge nurse with a concerned nod. He identified himself, and demanded information on his two best agents.

“What’s going on?” he ordered.

The nurse spoke in a soothing tone. “Mr. Stetson is in trauma bay two. He is in stable condition right now,” she declared. “However, his wife is in critical condition. She isn’t awake yet. Right now, that is all I know,” she said gently..

Billy blinked several times before the information sank in. He wrinkled his eyebrows in question to her response.

“What do you mean his wife?” he asked cautiously.

The nurse looked somewhat puzzled. “I said his wife sir. Mr. Stetson was in and out of consciousness when he arrived, but he was very concerned about his wife. Oh, and they were wearing matching wedding bands when they arrived,” she added.

Billy shook his head in disbelief. “This can’t be true. He would have told me if they were getting married,” he told himself.

Billy acknowledged the nurses statement with a casual nod. “Thank you. I would really appreciate it if you would keep this information private. Any personal information regarding my Agents could be very dangerous,” he uttered.

The nurse quietly agreed and went back to duties.

Billy found his way to the waiting room to clear his head. He poured himself a cup of thick sludge from the bottom of the pot. The cream only lightened the liquid to a dark brown. When he sat down, he spotted Francine marching in his direction.

“How are they doing Billy?” Francine asked with genuine concern.

“I don’t know Francine. Everything is still very sketchy. Apparently Lee and Amanda were in her Wagoneer, and were T-boned in the passenger side. Amanda is in critical condition, and Lee is in stable condition,” he stated.

Francine’s eyes grew wide with disbelief. “Do you want me to track down Amanda’s family?”

Billy hesitated before responding. “Yes, that’s a good idea. Oh, and just give them the basic facts, no particulars,” he added.

Francine responded with an affirmative nod. “I’ll get right on it.”

The NEST team arrived and set up residency in the trauma room. With the assistance of the attending physician, they efficiently assessed the situation.

The team caring for Amanda checked her over from head to toe. They inserted a pressure gauge into her skull to monitor the pressure. They needed to keep a close eye out for any changes. Her internal injuries were beginning to affect her vitals. She needed to go to surgery as soon as possible, however the team was reluctant to operate. They had hoped that the chest tube would alleviate the problem, but it became quite apparent she was suffering from other internal injuries. Only exploratory surgery would lead to the cause of the problem.

The team working on Lee checked him over thoroughly. Luckily, his injuries did not require surgery. His leg was set, and his head was stitched up. The teams’ only concern was his head injury. They wanted to keep a close eye on him for the next several hours.

He continually refused medication. “I want to know about Amanda,” he demanded. “Where is she?” He asked hesitantly. He held his breath waiting for a response from the team.

“My name is Dr. O’Connor. You need to calm down Mr. Stetson. She is in very good hands right now. I don’t know what is happening now, but I can tell you she is alive.

Lee took several deep breaths. “I want to know where my wife is, and what the hell you are doing to her right now!” He screamed while grasping his head in pain.

“Okay, take it easy Lee. I’ll go take a quick look, and fill you in on the details,” the Doctor promised.

Lee nodded skeptically. He followed the doctor with his eyes until he was out of sight.

The doctor returned several minutes later. Lee noted the serious look on the man’s face.

“How is she?” He asked desperately.

The doctor thought for a moment before speaking. “Your wife is suffering from a brain contusion, and some internal bleeding which could be caused by a number of things. Her legs are broken, and she has several broken ribs. Her facial lacerations have been stitched,” he stated firmly.

The expression on Lee’s face grew from concern to anger. “Now give me all that in English Doctor, and give it to me now,” he yelled.

“I’m sorry Lee. Amanda has a bruise on her brain, and she is in a coma. We can’t treat her brain injury. The only things we can do are monitor the pressure, and give her medication. Right now, her vitals are too weak to operate, and she desperately needs surgery to repair the internal damage. The rest of her injuries are not life threatening at this point,” he added.

Lee’s hands began to shake uncontrollably. The doctor encouraged him to relax and stay calm. Lee grabbed the doctor by the lapel of his jacket and looked directly into his eyes. “You do whatever is necessary to save her. Do you hear me? I can’t lose her; please,” he begged.

Dr. O’Connor patted him on the shoulder. “Don’t worry. I will personally make sure she gets the best care,” he assured Lee. “Now, I want you to lay down and relax! You have a very serious concussion Mr. Stetson.”

Lee let out a long sigh and closed his eyes. “Please let her be okay. Please God don’t take her from me. I love her too much to lose her.” He pleaded silently. “I know I haven’t been the best man that I could have been in the past, but she has led me down the right path in life. I am nothing without her.” He told himself, blinking away the warm tears.

The team of Doctors monitored Amanda’s vital signs very closely. After several tense moments, they came to the decision to operate immediately. Her vitals were not strong, but they feared the outcome in the long run. They rushed her into surgery to repair the damage.

Francine reemerged in the waiting room to find Billy pacing frantically. “Any news yet?” She asked wide-eyed.

“Not yet. I’m still waiting,” he snapped.

“Oh, and I want you to find out about the driver of the truck. I want a copy of the accident report, and a toxicology report on the man,” stated Billy.

Francine acknowledged his order with a nod. “Oh, I couldn’t get in touch with Amanda’s family. No one is at home, so I’ll keep trying,” she reassured him.

Dr. O’Connor headed out to the waiting room. He immediately approached Billy with his news.

“Hello, Mr. Melrose I presume?” he asked while extending his arm to shake his hand.

“Yes, that is correct. How are my agents doing?” questioned Billy.

“Mr. Stetson is awake at this point of time. He’s suffering from a concussion, and a few broken ribs. His left arm is broken, but it is a stationary fracture. No surgery is necessary at this time. We also stitched up his head,” stated the Doctor.

Billy noted the Doctor’s reluctance to brief him on Amanda’s condition. Billy acknowledged the Doctor’s information with a nod. “How is Mrs. King?” he asked hesitantly.

The doctor took a deep breath before speaking. “Mrs. King is holding on at this point. She is in surgery as we speak. She is suffering from internal injuries that required immediate repair. However, our biggest concern right now is her head injury. She took a severe blow to the head, and we won’t know anything until she regains consciousness.” She too, is suffering from several broken bones. Right now, she is in critical condition,” he stated.

Billy let out a sigh of frustration. “Thank you,” he replied while patting the Doctor on the shoulder. “Can I go in and talk to Lee?”

The doctor hesitated momentarily before granting his request. “You can see him, but I’d like you to keep it very brief. He’s very distraught right now, and I don’t want to upset him any more than he already is,” the Doctor requested.

“That’s understood,” replied Billy.

Billy took a moment to clear his thoughts before opening the curtain. After only a few moments, he opened the curtain to find Lee apparently sleeping peacefully. As he approached the bed, Lee’s eyes suddenly flew open.

“Billy!” I…don’t..know…” he uttered desperately.

“Shhh, just relax Lee. Everything is going to be just fine,” he assured.

“How is she Billy? How’s Amanda? They won’t tell me anything!”

Billy patted Lee on the shoulder. “You need to calm down. I don’t know too much either. I want you to try to get some rest. I’ll make it an order if I have to,” he threatened.

Lee wasn’t about to rest easy. “Billy, there’s something else I need to tell you. It’s about Amanda and me…..”

Billy nodded his head side to side. “Not now Scarecrow. Just clear your head. We can discuss it tomorrow.”

“Billy, you don’t understand. I need to….”

“I hear you Stetson,” he interrupted. “I said tomorrow.” Billy firmly squeezed his shoulder. “I told you before Lee; whatever your relationship is with Amanda, is fine with me.”

As Billy headed toward the door, he took one last look at Lee. He noted the look of worry and despair in his eyes. He stepped out into the hall to find a Doctor and check on Amanda’s overall prognosis.

Doctor O’Connor was just rounding the corner when Billy nearly ran him over. “How’s Amanda doing?”

The doctor looked somewhat relieved. “She’s out of surgery. She’s still in a coma, but she pulled through the operation. She’s one strong lady,” the Doctor added.

Francine walked through the lobby and made her way to ICU. She ran into Billy and the Doctor.

“Billy, I need to talk to you,” she stated.

Billy thanked the Doctor, and headed to the waiting room with Francine. “What’s going on?” he asked.

“Apparently, Amanda’s family is away camping somewhere in the mountains. I was however able to get in touch with her ex-husband’s office. I left word for him to contact us as soon as possible,” she stated.

Billy just nodded in response. “Anything else Francine?”

“Oh, I did obtain a copy of the accident report. The driver of the truck was Hal Paxton. Nothing unusual popped up when I ran a check on him. His toxicology report came back normal. I just think Lee and Amanda were in the wrong place at the wrong time,” she added.

“Thank you Francine. You might as well go home. I’m just going to let Lee know she’s out of surgery, and call it a night,” stated Billy

Billy walked into Lee’s room quietly. He wasn’t surprised to find him awake and slightly agitated. “Lee, why aren’t you resting?”

Before Lee could respond, a nurse entered the room carrying a small white box. “Hello there. How are you feeling Mr. Stetson?

Lee responded in a monotone voice. “Fine.”

“That’s good,” she responded. “My name is Kathy. I’ll be your nurse for the next twelve hours, and I’m going to take good care of you. I have your wife’s ring here. I thought you would like to keep it for now.”

Lee avoided any eye contact with Billy. He frowned slightly at Kathy. “Thanks. Just leave it on the table,” he whispered.

Kathy checked over his injuries and vitals. She informed him that Amanda made it through surgery, and was resting peacefully in ICU.

“Billy, I..Uh…I…. I…. need.” but was quickly interrupted.

“No, Lee. Lets not do this now. I said tomorrow. Now get some sleep!” he ordered.

Lee kept his eyes shut tightly. He nodded in response. After a few moments, he opened his eyes to find Billy staring directly at him. “I hear ya, Billy. Thanks for everything!”

Lee tossed and turned for the remainder of the dark hours. His only memory of the horrific nightmare that he and his wife shared was the sound of her voice. Over and over he heard her calling his name out of shear terror. He could only hope that his silent prayers on her behalf would be answered.

He was jousted out of his moments of sleep, only to be forced to comply with repeated tests. He reached out grabbing one of Kathy’s hands.

“When can I see her?” he asked desperately.

Kathy felt an overwhelming sense of compassion. “I know how you feel Mr. Stetson. I’m sure the Doctor’s will allow you to visit with her later this morning.”

When the nurse finally left his room, he retrieved the white box off of the table. He placed his ring on his finger very slowly. He then took Amanda’s ring and placed it snuggly on his pinky finger.

“Mr. Stetson! How are you feeling?” a male voice inquired.

Lee was momentarily startled. “Oh, I’m okay,” he responded. “How’s Amanda doing?”

“She’s hanging in there. Her vitals are much better now.” He assured him.

Lee smiled slightly. “Good. I need to see her!”

“I’m going to let you see her Mr. Stetson, but I want…”

Lee became slightly agitated. “My name is Lee, and I want to see her now,” he interrupted.

The Doctor sat on the edge of his bed. “Relax Mr…. I’m sorry. I mean Lee. I wasn’t sure if you were comfortable with me calling you by your first name. I just want to fill you in on a few things before you see her.”

“What’s the matter now,” Lee asked hesitantly.

“Amanda is resting comfortably now. She still hasn’t regained consciousness, but we are very hopeful. The pressure in her brain has not increased, and that is a good sign. And I must say by some kind of miracle, the baby is holding it’s own,” he added. “I would have thought she would have miscarried, but that’s not the case. We’re keeping a very close eye on them both,” he reassured Lee.

As Lee’s eyes grew wide in disbelief, his mouth stumbled for words. “Wha…What, What did you say?” He repeated over and over.

The Doctor noted his complete state of shock. “I’m sorry Lee. I thought you were aware of that fact. Amanda is three months pregnant,” he stated very slowly.

When dawn approached, Kathy prepared Lee to visit his wife. He was suffering from a wide array of emotions. The sudden news of the baby gave him a strong sense of hope, however he was still being tormented by the reoccurring visions of the accident. He needed someone to blame for this senseless tragedy. Even though he was scared and upset, he didn’t show it.

“Hello Lee! Are you ready to visit Amanda?” she asked

“I’ve been ready since last night. Lets go,” he urged.

As Kathy wheeled him down the hall, he took comfort in clutching onto Amanda’s ring. He felt the diamond pushing into his skin. As they approached ICU, he took a deep breath before entering. It only took a few moments for them to reach her bed.

Lee’s breath quickened at the sight of her. She was covered in tubes from head to toe. Her IV bag was connected to several different bags of various solutions and medications. Both her legs were in casts, and her head was bandaged, revealing only a trace of blood on her forehead. Her face was bandaged just above her cheek, concealing her stitches.

“Oh my god,” he whispered in disbelief. He tried to blink away the tears as he turned to speak to Kathy. “Uh, is she in any pain?” He asked hesitantly.

Kathy ran a comforting hand across his shoulder. “She’s comfortable. She isn’t suffering from any pain.”

Lee turned up the corner of his mouth. “Okay. I didn’t know how that worked. I mean with the baby…” he spoke as his words turned into silent thoughts. “A baby! She’s got to wake up. I want to tell her about our baby,” he smiled to himself.

“Why so many monitors,” he asked.

“That one on the left is monitoring your wife’s heart rate, pulse and respirations. The one on the left is a fetal monitor. That’s your baby’s heartbeat,” she announced happily.

Lee smiled slightly. “Is that okay? I mean it’s much higher than Amanda’s rate,” he asked cautiously.

“It’s very good. Babies are much higher than adults. 146 beats per minute in quite normal,” she assured him.

“I’m going to let you two be alone. I’ll be right down the hall if you need anything,” she declared.

“Thank you. I mean that. Thank you for everything,” he spoke sincerely.

Lee positioned the wheelchair next to her head. He carefully pulled down the side railing so he could touch her. After his hand went through an obstacle course of wires, he finally located her left hand. He placed his hand atop hers, and gently caressed her skin. As he traced each finger, he whispered her name very softly.

“Amanda. Amanda, you need to wake up. I have wonderful news to tell you, but I can’t share it with you until you are fully awake. Please! Please wake up,” he begged.
”I can’t stand being here without you. I don’t want to be here without you,” he spoke stumbling through his words. “I feel like we are reliving that awful nightmare when we were in California.” He stopped speaking abruptly. Tears were on the verge of spilling down his cheeks, and he didn’t want to fall apart. He wanted to be strong for her.

Lee took a few long deep breaths and cleared his throat. He stifled a sudden sneeze with his hand. He gently extricated Amanda’s ring from his pinky finger. He stared at it for several minutes. He gently placed the ring back where it belonged. He took her hand in both of his, and massaged her fingers. His head came to rest against her side.

“Well, well, I thought I might find you here,” spoke a familiar feminine voice.

Lee jumped slightly, careful not to lose contact with Amanda’s hand.

“Francine, what are you doing here? He asked.

Francine frowned slightly. “Regardless of what you may think, I do care about the both of you. I just stopped in to how the both of you were doing,” she admitted.

“Thanks a lot. I really appreciate that,” he spoke. “I’m fine. Amanda’s doing better. She isn’t awake yet, but the Doctors are very optimistic,” he stated.

“That’s good to hear Lee.”

A look of surprise crossed his face. “Oh god, her family. I forgot about her family. Francine, her mother took the boys camping this weekend. Somewhere in the mountains…..” he spoke before she interrupted.

“Calm down Lee. I’m already checking into that. I called her ex-husband’s office. As soon as he checks in, they will give him the message. Now, I’ve got to go. I’m meeting Senator Rogers for lunch this afternoon,” she bragged.

“Thanks. Goodbye Francine,” he spoke in an aggravated tone.

Francine took one more glance in Amanda’s direction. She carefully inspected the ring, which resided on her ring finger. She made sure to deliberately eye the ring and Lee in a nonchalant fashion. She shook her head back and forth. “See you scarecrow. Be careful not to cut your finger. That rock looks sharp,” she teased.

“Goodbye Francine!”

Lee spent the entire afternoon by her side. He spoke words of love and encouragement, urging her to respond. He buried his face by her side, covering the uncontrollable gasps that escaped his lips. His hot tears flowed steadily down his cheeks.

The nurses had to practically drag him back to his room to eat. He had to appease them. He quickly ate his lunch and returned to her side.

During the late afternoon hours, he gently caressed her face. He placed finger kisses along her bruises and cuts. “Amanda, can you hear me? Please Amanda. I need you to hear me. I love you so much. Please wake up. Your family needs you. I need you!”

Lee was suddenly confused by his change of emotion. Anger had somehow crept up upon him. His overwhelming frustration just seemed to grow and grow. Over and over he begged and pleaded for her to wake up, only to hear the sound of the monitors beeping over and over in his head. Once again he laid his head next to her side. He brought her hand to his mouth. He kissed each fingertip. “I need you Amanda. Please wake up for me baby,” he whispered softly.

With his quiet pleas left unanswered, Lee drifted off to sleep. The sheet lay damp beneath him, filled with his tears.

He awoke to the sound of a familiar whisper. “Sshhhh, it’s okay. I’m here,” she soothed.

She ran her fingers slowly through his hair. “I’m right here,” she breathed.

Lee looked up at her face. Her eyes were closed, but she was there. She was with him. “Amanda! Amanda! Talk to me baby,” he pleaded.

“Hurts…” she whispered.

Lee smiled from ear to ear. “Thank god you’re alright. Oh, you had me so scared,” he cried while kissing her hand repeatedly. “Just try to relax, Amanda. I’ll get a Doctor!”

Lee jumped up from his wheelchair and hobbled into the hallway. “Nurse! Nurse!” He yelled over and over.

Two nursed came flying down the hall toward his screaming voice. “What’s the matter sir?” They asked in unison.

“She’s awake! My wife is finally awake, and she is in pain,” he stated.

The nurses went into ICU to check her vitals. Lee was right behind them. After a short examination, they went back out into the hallway to find the Doctor.

Lee stayed by her side. He caressed her cheek softly with his hand. He bent down to whisper in her ear. “That’s it Amanda. Just rest. You don’t have to talk, I just want you to relax.”

Amanda followed instructions briefly. After a few minutes went by, she began wiggling her fingers. She felt something heavy, weighing down on her legs. “Lee, what happened?” she breathed

Lee was so overjoyed, that he almost missed her question. After a brief silence he responded. “You don’t take orders very well do you? He teased. “Just rest Amanda. I’ll tell you all about it when your stronger.”

Amanda nodded in agreement. She closed her eyes, and took a deep breath. She was exhausted.

Lee continued to caress her face. He occasionally moved his hand up to remove stray hairs from her face. He closed his eyes momentarily and said a silent thank you prayer on her behalf. He jumped slightly when the Doctor spoke.

“Hello! I’m Doctor Fisher. I’ll be on for the next ten hours,” he stated.

He went over to her bed and did a thorough checkup. He started from her head and worked his way down to her feet.

Lee swore he could feel her pain. Every time the Doctor touched a tender area, she moaned in discomfort. Lee felt his breath become quick and shallow. “Can you give her something for the pain Doctor?” He questioned in an aggravated tone.

“Relax Mr. Stetson. I just want to check on her and the…..” but Lee quickly interrupted.

“Leg injury!” Lee frowned at the Doctor. “Can I speak to you privately for a moment Doctor?”

Lee pulled him aside and filled him in on the situation. “This pregnancy is a surprise for both of us. I haven’t had a chance to tell her yet,” he declared.

Dr. Fisher looked somewhat puzzled. “Mr. Stetson, your wife is three months pregnant. Do you honestly think she didn’t have a clue about that fact?” he asked skeptically.

Lee’s eyes darted back and forth while his mind was working overtime. “Just what is it your saying Doctor? You think she’s aware of her condition?” He asked hesitantly.

“I’m sorry Mr. Stet…”

“It’s Lee! Call me Lee,” he rudely interrupted.

“I’m sorry Lee. I didn’t mean to upset you. Maybe she doesn’t know. I, myself, can’t imagine her not being aware of the fact after three months,” he replied.

Lee looked directly into his eyes. “Thank you Doctor,” he spoke in a monotone voice.

“Look, I’m going to get her something for the pain. I don’t want you upsetting her at all. You’re welcome to acknowledge the pregnancy, but I want her to remain as calm as possible,” he stated.

Lee nodded in agreement. He tried to clear his head before returning to her side. “Maybe that’s what she was trying to tell me last night,” he thought. “Maybe she was encouraging me to go public with our relationship. God I hope she hasn’t been worrying about this all along,” he thought. Tears threatened to emerge, but he quickly blinked them back. He took a deep breath and went to her.

He took her hand in his. “Amanda, I’m right here,” he comforted her. “Let me know if anything hurts, or if you need anything.”

Her mind was still somewhat foggy. She remembered a lovely dinner at his place, and a drive somewhere. She struggled to process the last evening, but was pulled from her thoughts.

The Doctor injected some medication into her IV. Within a few moments, her lids became very heavy, and her mind drifted far away.

Lee continued to comfort her while she slept. He couldn’t seem to touch her enough. His hand massaged her fingertips, and carefully progressed up her arm. Her skin was so soft to the touch. He brought her hand to his lips. He placed soft tender kisses along the inside of her hand, and traveled just past her wrist. He closed his eyes and rubbed his face along her arm. He was only aware of her at that very moment. He looked at her closed eyelids and smiled. She looked so peaceful and comfortable. “I hope this baby is a surprise for you too,” he spoke out loud.

Lee spun around when he heard a cough in the background. His eyes grew wide at the sight in front of him. “Uh, hello Billy.”

Lee and Billy stood facing each other for a long period of time. Both men stared into each other’s eyes. Lee desperately searched Billy’s face for some kind of idea to what he may have been thinking at that very moment. Lee gave in first, lowering his gaze to the floor.

Billy took that opportunity to speak. “Hello Lee. I see you’re up and about. I’m sure the Doctors and Nurses love having you as a patient,” he stated sarcastically.

Lee, happy to avoid the scene Billy had just witnessed replied without hesitation. “You know me too well Billy.”

“Well not as well as I thought,” he stated in questionable tone.

Lee knew exactly what he was referring to, and thought carefully before finally speaking. “Listen Billy. There are so many things I need to talk about with you. I should have had this discussion with you a long time ago, but I was afraid…..”

“Hold it right there Lee,” he interrupted. “I must admit that I was stunned to overhear your statement earlier, but I’m not completely in the dark about your relationship with Amanda.”

Lee placed his arms across his chest, careful not to come into contact with his sore ribs. “What are you talking about Billy?”

“I’m well aware of your marriage to Amanda. I knew you were ready when you had your pension totals put together. I tried to give you every opportunity to share the news with me. I even went as far as to search the Agency for an administrative position for you, but you wouldn’t bite,” he confessed. “I would have liked to hear your news under different circumstances, but I think I understand your situation.”

Lee could only shake his head in utter disbelief. “How did you know?”

Billy let out a sarcastic laugh. “I think you already know the answer to that question. My god Lee, the mutual attraction between you two was so obvious. I think I knew before you even you did that Amanda was very special. You were so protective of her. You still are very protective,” he stated.

Lee stood stunned for several moments. He did eventually close his open mouth to respond. “I don’t know what to say Billy. You have lifted such a weight off of my shoulders, but I still feel terrible. We thought we would be protecting her family by concealing our marriage. We didn’t tell you because we are well aware of the policy at the Agency. Billy, we want to work together. We have to work together! We make the perfect team…..”

“Relax Scarecrow,” he interrupted. “I know exactly what kind of efficient team you two make. When Amanda recovers completely, I want the two of you to have a meeting with Dr. Smith. I’ll be there with you. I’m sure we will work this out,” Billy encouraged.

Lee patted him on the back. “I really appreciate that Billy. This means a lot to us.”

“You have done a lot for me Lee. You’ve risked your neck for me many times. I won’t ever forget that,” he stressed. “I’ll do what ever I can to help. Oh, and I want to say congratulations! You and Amanda have a lot to look forward to,” he happily replied.

Lee smiled from ear to ear. “Thanks Billy.”

Billy turned to leave and stopped suddenly. He spun back around and called out to Lee. “I almost forgot why I stopped in. Francine finally got in touch with Joe. She said they would be back late tonight.”

Lee let out a noticeable long sigh. “Thanks Billy,” he stated grimly. “I wanted to wait until Amanda recovered before discussing this with her family, but it looks like I’m going to have a lot of explaining to do on my own.”

“I’m sure you’ll handle everything just fine. Just take your time, and be as honest as you can be,” Billy stated. I’ve got to get going. I’ll check in with you in a few days.”

“Bye Billy.”

Lee took one last look at Amanda who was sleeping comfortably. He decided to head back to his room for a nap. He was exhausted.

Lee gingerly placed his body in bed. His mind was racing in several directions. He was so worried about her family’s reaction to the news he was soon to deliver. He thought about several different ways to convey the news, settling on his original idea. He also worried about Amanda and the baby. Sleep and he finally did find each other after an hour passed.

The smell of beef aroused his taste buds. Lee opened his eyes to find his dinner tray awaiting consumption. He glanced up at the clock and realized he slept for nearly two hours. He made record time of consuming the rather bland *food matter* in front of him. As soon as he finished his meal, he raced back to ICU.

He arrived just in time to catch Amanda waking up from her deep sleep. He smiled as he approached her bed. He placed a soft kiss upon her forehead. “Hello there sleeping beauty.”

Amanda smiled slightly. “Hi,” she whispered softly.

“Are you thirsty? He questioned.

“I’m okay,” she breathed. She motioned for him to help her up.

“No, you sit still. I don’t want you to even try to move right now,” he insisted. He raised the head of the bed slightly.

“She slowly reached out and placed her hand on his arm. “Thank you Lee.”

Lee cupped her cheek gently. “Your very welcome, baby.” His mind quickly wandered to the term of endearment he chose to use.

Amanda looked deep within his eyes. She noted the concern in his eyes, but didn’t say anything. She just smiled softly.

Her throat suddenly became dry, forcing an involuntary cough. Amanda’s hand unconsciously went to her stomach. Without thinking, she caressed it softly. After a moment she looked up to greet his questionable glance. “Lee, I really need to discuss something very important with you,” she stated very seriously.

Lee took her hand in his. “Amanda, I need to tell you something also. I think I know…..” he spoke before she interrupted him.

“Lee, I’m pregnant,” she uttered while bracing herself for his reaction.

Lee stood smiling, conveying all the love and admiration he carried for her in his heart. “I am well aware of that fact Amanda,” he happily replied. “I’m well aware of everything now.”

“No, you don’t know everything,” she insisted. “I know I should have told you about the baby sooner, but I didn’t know how.”

The hurt look upon his face was quite evident. “You were afraid to tell me?”

Amanda squeezed his hand gently. “Oh Lee, it wasn’t like that at all. I’ve never been afraid to tell you anything. You’re my husband, and I love you very much. I found out this news only a few weeks ago myself,” she admitted.

Lee’s face lit up when reality dawned on him. “Were actually going to have a baby,” he stated proudly. He leaned down and kissed her softly on her lips. “I love you so much.”

Amanda reluctantly released him from the kiss. “I had planned on telling you the night that we went out….” Her words trailed off. “Where were we going?” she asked.

“Shhh, lets not talk about that now. I have much more important news to tell you. Billy knows everything,” he blurted out.

Amanda’s eyes grew wide with disbelief. “What do you mean everything?” she questioned.

“It’s okay. He already knew we were married. I was more in shock than he was to tell you the truth. He came in earlier to visit and overheard me mention the baby, so I told him everything. I wanted to wait until you were feeling better, but too many questions were left unanswered,” he stated.

“Oh my gosh Lee. Are we going to be okay?” she asked hesitantly. “I mean what about our jobs together?”

“It’s okay Amanda. Billy is on our side,” he assured her. “There is another matter we need to discuss though.”

Amanda sensed the worry in his tone of voice. “What is it Lee?”

Lee took a deep breath before continuing. “Francine was finally able to reach Joe, and let him know you were hurt in an accident. So your family should be arriving here in a couple of hours.”

Amanda’s eyes were now as wide as silver dollars. “Oh my gosh Lee! I completely forgot about that. Mother and the boys went camping in the mountains this past week. Joe and Carrie were nice enough to invite everyone.”

Amanda brought her hand to her face to feel the bandage that partially covered her cheek. That was the moment she noticed her wedding ring sitting securely on her finger. She reached out for Lee’s hand to inspect his fingers. “What are we doing Lee? We need to get our rings off before they arrive,” she stated.

Lee unhooked the side rail of her bed and carefully sat next to her. He took both her hands in his. “No Amanda. No more lying. I don’t want to live the way we have been for the last several months. I can’t stand waking up in the morning, and not being able to hold you in my arms. We need to be together Amanda, especially now,” he pointed out.

“I want us to be a family too. I’m just not feeling up to explaining our situation now. Can’t we hold off until…”?

“No Amanda!” He interrupted. They are going to know the minute they walk into this room. You and the baby are hooked up to separate monitors,” he informed her.

Amanda was unable to turn her head to see the screens. Her face turned a pale white, and her hands began to shake. “What are we going to do Lee?”

“Just relax Amanda. You and the baby don’t need this kind of stress right now. Let me handle it. I’ll fill them in on the situation. Let me do that for us,” he offered.

Amanda was reluctant to agree. She noted the sincerity in his voice, and finally agreed.

Lee bent down and planted soft kisses along her cheek. He whispered softly into her ear. “Thank God your okay. That’s the only thing that matters to me right now.” They sat together relishing the closeness for hours.

Once Amanda had fallen back to sleep, Lee took a stroll down the hallway. He purposely avoided the nurses’ station. He wasn’t in the mood to hear any flack about resting properly. He wandered toward the lounge, in search of a candy machine, when he heard a group of familiar voices approaching. He tensed momentarily, before taking several deep breaths.

Dotty and Joe raced down the corridor. “Lee, is that you?” She questioned.

“Over here,” yelled Lee.

Dotty approached him with open arms. “Oh my goodness Lee. Where’s Amanda? Are you all right? What happened?” Every question seemed to lead to another one.

“I’m just fine,” he assured her. “Amanda is in ICU right now. She is doing very well, and her Doctor expects to move her to a regular room as early as Friday.”

Dotty nodded in response to his statement. Her face was a light shade of gray. “What happened Lee? Please tell me everything,” she pleaded.

Lee took a deep breath before beginning to speak. “Monday evening, Amanda and I had dinner together at my place. We went out for dessert after the meal, and we were hit by a large box truck on the passenger side of her Wagoneer.” Lee put his head down before continuing. “I was driving at the time, and Amanda suffered the brunt of all the injuries,” he stated solemnly.

Dotty walked Lee to a nearby couch. She placed her arm around his shoulder. “Oh Lee, I’m so sorry you had to go through this alone. If there is anything I can do for you, please don’t hesitate to ask. I really mean that Lee,” she stressed.

Lee blinked away the tears threatening to intrude. He pulled Dotty close and gave her a hug. “Thank you,” he replied.

Joe observed the interaction between the two with growing curiosity. He didn’t speak at all. He watched Lee cover his face with his hands, revealing a shiny gold band residing on his left ring finger. He didn’t put two and two together at this time though. “Listen, I’m going to take the boys home. Carrie is waiting downstairs. I’ll keep them at my house for awhile, and I’ll be back here in about an hour.”

Dotty stood up to hug Joe properly. “Thank you dear. Thanks for everything. I’ll see you later.”

Lee also stood to shake Joe’s hand. Both men looked deep within each other’s eyes, searching for something they couldn’t quite put their fingers on.

“Good bye Lee. Take good care of Amanda,” Joe stated.

“I will. You can count on that,” he replied.

Joe exited the lounge and headed back downstairs.

Dotty was very anxious to see her daughter. “Lee can we go in now?” she asked impatiently.

Lee’s eyes darted back and forth quickly. “Listen, I need to talk to you before we go in there.”

“Don’t worry Lee. I am prepared. I remember how terrible the accident in California turned out to be,” she reassured him.

Lee cleared his throat, and ran a nervous hand through his hair. “It’s nothing like that. There is something very important I need to share with you before you see her,” he declared.

Dotty’s brow wrinkled slightly. “You said she’s okay Lee.”

“She is going to be okay,” he reassured.

Dotty was now curious as ever. “Then what is it?” She noted his growing anxiety to share this with her. “Come on Lee. You can tell me anything.”

Lee, for some strange reason, decided to blurt it right out. He closed his eyes tightly. “Amanda and I are married, and she is carrying my child.”

Dotty let out a sheepish laugh. “Very funny. Now out with it!”

Lee sat staring at his mother-in-law for what seemed like an eternity to him. Her warm loving smile did nothing to help the situation. He wanted to forget the statement he had made just moments ago, but a tiny voice in his head insisted he reconsider. After a few brief unsuccessful attempts to speak, he finally found his voice.

“I..I…want you to know that I love Amanda with all my heart,” he stated while clasping her hands in his.

Dotty’s motherly instincts took over as she released her hand from his grip and gently brushed his cheek. “I hope you don’t think I blame you for any of this. I’m just so thankful that you were here by her side through this dreadful event.”

Lee smiled slightly. ‘She certainly isn’t making this any easier on me,’ he thought to himself. “Thank you,” he replied softly.

“Well then lets go see her Lee. I want Amanda to know I’m here,” she urged.

Lee put his head down in defeat. “Okay, I’ll take you in to see her, but I really do need to talk to you about something very important,” he stated.

Dotty acknowledged his statement with a nod, while leading the way out of the lounge. “We have plenty of time to talk later, when….” Her words trailed off when she bumped into Joe, just outside the doorway.

Joe smiled at Dotty, before casting a look of concern in Lee’s direction.

Lee shook off his glance and led the way to ICU.

When they arrived at her bed, the nurse greeted the entire family. “Hello there. I’m Rachel, and I’ll be taking care of Amanda for the next twelve hours. I just gave her another shot of Demerol, so she should be able to rest comfortably for the next couple of hours,” she informed them on her way out.

With Lee on one side, and Joe on the other, Dotty grabbed a hold of both men at the sight of her daughter. “Lee, she looks so pale,” she whispered in concern. “Is she going to be okay?”

Lee took her hand in his. “She’s going to be just fine,” he reassured.

Dotty leaned over the side rail of the bed to take Amanda’s hand, while looking her over from head to toe, inspecting each bruise and bandage.

Lee turned slightly to gauge Joe’s reaction. He was surprised to find him staring back at him. Lee could tell by his expression that something was clearly bothering him.

“Listen Dotty, why don’t you stay and sit with Amanda for a while. I’m going to grab a cup of coffee,” he stated while urging Joe to join him with a nodding gesture of his head.

“Uh, yea that sounds good. I’m going to join him. I’ll be right back Dotty,” Joe promised with a pat on her back.

Dotty heard the men speaking, but focused her attention on her daughter. With an affirmative shake of her head, both men headed out.

Lee stopped just short of the lounge. His ribs were giving him a little discomfort. He turned gingerly to speak, “What’s up Joe?”

Joe returned the question with a touch of sarcasm present in his voice. “I was just about to ask you the same thing.”

Lee ran his fingers through his hair growing agitated by the minute. “I wish you would say whatever it is you want to say. I don’t have the time or patience to sit here and play this game with you,” he warned.

Joe’s breath quickened. “I took the boys downstairs to go home. Carrie was there and took them home for me. I came back up to find you, and overheard part of your conversation. You married her didn’t you?” he accused.

Lee nodded in answer to his question.

Joe shook his head in disbelief. “I knew it. I think I’ve known something was different for a long time now,” he confessed.

Lee mistook his statement for jealousy. “Oh, you can remarry, but Amanda can’t?” he asked sarcastically.

“That’s not what I mean at all Lee.” I’m just worried about her safety with you,” he stated with concern.

“Well don’t be. I know how to take care of Amanda, and protect her too. I love her,” he admitted.

Joe clinched his jaw tight. “Then be a husband to her!” He yelled.

Lee took a minute to clear his throat. His first instinct was to lunge forward and grab Joe, but he decided against that thought. “I know how to be a husband to Amanda. I’m there for her. I won’t ever leave,” he painfully reminded him.

Joe lowered his head to the ground. “Lee, I….I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that. I’m somewhat familiar with your job, and what you do. I was thinking about both of you. She does need to be protected Lee, and I need to feel secure in the fact that you will always be there for her,” he confessed. “I’m well aware of her happiness and love for you. I see it in her eyes. She’s a changed woman.”

Lee closed his eyes momentarily. He resented the last remark he had made. It was a cheap shot and he knew it. “I’m sorry Joe. I understand where you are coming from, but you’re just going to have to trust us on this one.”

Joe smiled slightly. “I envy you Lee. Oh, and I want to be the first to say congratulations. I’m happy for you both,” he stressed. “By the way, how did Dotty take the news?” he asked.

Lee eyes grew wide as saucers. “I uh haven’t told her yet, and she’s still in there with Amanda. Lets get moving,” he insisted.

Amanda opened her eyes slightly. She blinked a few times, not sure if her mother was actually there. “Mother, is that you?” she breathed.

Dotty squeezed her hand slightly. “I’m right here darling. How are you feeling?”

“I’ve been better,” she spoke trying to lighten the mood.

Dotty smiled tenderly at her daughter. “I’m sure you have dear.”

Amanda surveyed the area with her eyes. “Mother, have you seen Lee?” she asked slightly apprehensive.

Dotty gently rubbed her forehead. “Don’t worry darling. He took Joe to get a cup of coffee. He should be back shortly,” she added.

Dotty noted the crease in Amanda’s brow. “Mother, did uh Lee talk to you at all?” she questioned.

“Yes dear. We sat and talked for a few moments in the lounge,” she informed her.

Amanda was unsure of her demeanor. “Well, what exactly did he say?” she questioned carefully.

Dotty knew something was troubling her daughter. “He told me that he loved you very much, and uh that the two of you were married and expecting a baby,” she added.

Amanda’s mouth dropped open. “He uh told you uh about the baby, mother?” she stumbled through the question.

Dotty burst out into laughter. “Oh Amanda. I always did admire a man with a wonderful sense of humor. He knew how upset I was, and tried to lighten the mood. He’s definitely a keeper Amanda,” she declared.

Before she could respond, a Doctor approached the bed. “Hello ladies. I’m doctor Lovelace and I’m the resident obstetrician. I just wanted to know if you’ve been experiencing any abdominal discomfort, or any cramping Mrs. Stetson?” he asked.

Dotty’s expression grew from surprise to shock over the course of the Doctor’s statement. Before she could find any words, Lee and Joe entered the ICU.

Dr. Lovelace knew at the very instant he opened his mouth that something was wrong. Four people who appeared to be in a state of shock surrounded him.

“Is everyone okay?” The doctor spoke, enunciating every syllable.

Amanda was the first to respond. “Ah, my head really hurts,” she sighed.

Lee disregarded the stunned crowd and headed toward his wife. He reached out and placed a gentle hand upon her cheek. “Are you okay honey?” he whispered.

Amanda reached for his hand. She held it tight, while searching his eyes for help. “I’m okay Lee. What are we going to do?” she mouthed to him.

Lee smiled slightly, trying to convey a look of assurance. He gave her a wink, and turned to face the consequences he knew awaited him.

Dotty hadn’t blinked for what seemed like hours, which in reality was only a minute or two. She took another minute to thoroughly scowl both Lee and Amanda. “Can somebody please tell me what is actually going on here?” she questioned in a sarcastic tone.

Joe eyed both Amanda and Lee and decided to leave well enough alone. “I’m going to step out and grab another cup of coffee,” he declared. “Care to join me Dr.?”

The Doctor happily obliged, and followed Joe into the hallway. Lee watched both men leave and reluctantly looked back toward his Mother-In-Law. “Mrs. West….”he began before she cut him off.

“Can we lose the formality please?” she snapped. “I’m sorry Lee. I didn’t mean that to sound so spiteful.”

Lee nodded, understanding her reaction. “Dotty,” he corrected his last attempt. “Can we go sit and talk privately? I don’t think this is good for Amanda,” he urged.

Amanda tried to intervene. “No, it’s okay. I want to….”

“Shhh, just relax darling,” Dotty interrupted. “Lee is right. We’ll be back in a few minutes darling,” she whispered softly.

Amanda met Lee’s eyes, wondering what he may have been thinking at that very moment. She felt she was somehow getting off easy, and that thought made her feel like a coward. Lee flashed a warm smile that told her everything would be okay, without saying a word.

Amanda nodded in agreement, and watched her husband and mother walk out of the room.

Dotty latched on to Lee and led him down the hall. He seemed to be getting around quite nicely, even with a cast on his leg. They entered the lounge and sat down to talk. Luckily, the room was empty. A television set was aligned in the top corner of the room, broadcasting the local news. A few vending machines were off to the side, and a water fountain was right next to the bathrooms.

Lee reached over and took Dotty’s hands in his. “I want to tell you everything. As hard as it is to begin, I know in telling you this that we will feel much better to have your love and support,” he stated with a warm smile.

Dotty’s eyes widened noticeably, but she couldn’t stop herself from comforting him. “Lee, please tell me everything,” she pleaded while squeezing his hands for emphasis.

Lee nodded in compliance. “I work for a government agency, as an intelligence operative. I was on an assignment, back in 1983, which led me to a train station. Several men who were after the information I carried followed me. That is when and where I met Amanda. As I ran through the crowded station, I searched for someone to help me. Amanda was that someone. I knew the moment I looked into her eyes that she would trust me unconditionally,” he admitted.

Dotty was speechless again for the second time this evening. She finally found her voice and asked, “A spy, you’re a spy? What was it that made you stop and ask my daughter for help?” she asked inquisitively.

“I’ve never really cared for that word, but yes I’m a spy,” he confessed. “ Amanda looked so honest and trustworthy, all at the same time. It’s hard to explain, but I had a feeling that she would somehow change my life,” he added. He smiled again, letting a small laugh escape his lips. “You know, I don’t think I have ever told her that before,” he admitted.

Dotty smiled, while shaking his hands, encouraging him to continue. She could see all the love and admiration he harbored for Amanda. She was confident about that much so far.

Lee shook his head and broke out of his reverie. He cleared his throat before continuing. “Amanda did help me that day. I was a stranger, but she helped me anyway. At the end of that fiasco, my boss offered her a part time position. I must admit I wasn’t very happy about that at the time. She was a suburban mother of two who lived a normal, average life. I didn’t want her to get mixed up in a world of espionage. I didn’t think she was cut out for this business, and I though she belonged at home with her family.” Lee hesitated momentarily before continuing. “I was a different man back then, Dotty.”

Dotty turned her head slightly to the side in wonderment. “What do you mean different?”

“I wasn’t ready to admit I wanted or needed a partner. I had lost two partners in the past, and I certainly didn’t want to be responsible for Amanda. I think our boss knew back then, that we belonged together.” Lee smiled again before he continued. “I fought him tooth and nail, every time he placed us together,” he stated while thinking back to his past.

Dotty could be silent no longer. “Did you and Amanda begin dating back then?” she asked curiously.

Lee responded quickly. “Oh no. I fought her every step of the way,” he admitted. “I mean I think Amanda knew long before I did that we truly belonged together. I had feelings for her, but I never acted upon them. I think the turning point for me was one particular assignment.” Lee nodded, realizing when it happened.

Dotty encouraged him to continue. “Go ahead Lee.”

“She had to pick up a sock that contained a very important piece of information inside. The sock was stolen from her outside the Laundromat.” Lee watched Dotty’s expression change from a smile to a look of horror. “It’s okay,” he soothed her. “I was there, but I blamed her for the lost sock. We had an argument, and I left. I found out later that I could have lost her,” he uttered before lowering his gaze to the floor. “I knew I couldn’t live without her, and that thought scared the hell out of me,” he admitted. “I couldn’t deny what I felt for Amanda any longer. I was afraid of losing her; just like I’d lost all the other people in my life that I cared about. That is why I didn’t tell her how I felt until much later in our relationship,” he admitted honestly.

Dotty stopped him from continuing. “This is very dangerous isn’t it? I mean Amanda’s job is very dangerous, right?” she asked cautiously.

Lee closed his eyes, and bowed his head. “I don’t want to lie to you. Amanda never wanted to lie to you. She hated it from the very beginning, but realized it was safer for everyone. What we do is very dangerous, but we are very good at what we do,” he declared. “Amanda and I believe that wholeheartedly. We want to serve and protect our country, and make it a better place for our family.”

Dotty smiled slightly. “I know my Amanda. I know she would never get involved in something she didn’t completely believe in. She loves you Lee. She trusts you completely.” She stated the obvious.

Lee took a deep breath in, releasing it out of his mouth. “I know Amanda loves me. I love her too; very much! I was a fool not to tell her sooner. Now, we’re finally together, and that’s all that matters,” he stated proudly. We were married on February 13th,” he confessed.

Dotty stopped Lee’s confession by releasing his hand and grabbing his upper arm. “You were married when Amanda was shot?” she asked hesitantly, before realizing the answer. “Oh, I’m so sorry Lee. You were on your honeymoon weren’t you?” she asked, but already knew the answer.

Lee clenched his jaw tight; taking another much needed deep breath. “Yes, we were on our honeymoon, and before you ask, it had nothing to do with our jobs. It was a terrible accident,” he stated, while trying to control his breathing.

Dotty cupped his cheek. “It’s okay Lee. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you remember that horrific nightmare.”

Lee looked deep into her eyes. “Thank you. You’re making this much easier than I ever expected,” he complemented her.

“I am hurt Lee. I wish you two could have trusted me enough to tell me sooner, but I’ll be okay,” she confessed. “Amanda has enough to do right now without worrying about me,” she added. “I do have just one more question though. How far along is she?” she asked with a smile threatening to appear at the corner of her lips.

Lee hadn’t been expecting that question. “Oh, I believe she is only three months along,” he answered. “This is news to me too. I just found out about it yesterday,” he admitted.

Dotty encouraged Lee to stand, and gave him a hug. “Congratulations. I know things are hectic right now, but they will get better,” she promised. Let’s just get past this for now, and be there for Amanda. We can all talk about this when she is healthy and strong,” she suggested.

Lee was taken aback by her actions. He stiffened momentarily before relaxing in her arms. “Thank you,” he whispered sincerely.

Lee put his arm around Dotty and led her back to ICU. They met Joe in the hallway. Joe smiled briefly before shaking Lee’s hand. “Thanks Joe,” he whispered.

Joe stepped back and nodded. “Your welcome Lee. Can we go in now? I have to get home soon,” he added.

All three entered the ICU. Joe was first to see her. He placed a kiss upon her cheek. “You take care Amanda. I have to go for now, but I’ll be up here with the boys tomorrow,” he promised. “I know you’re in good hands,” he added smiling.

Amanda cleared her throat before responding. “Thank you Joe. Tell Carrie everything is okay, and please give the boys a kiss for me,” she whispered softly.

Joe reached for her hand. “You know I will Amanda. Now get some sleep, and don’t worry about anything,” he insisted. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

Dotty leaned over and placed a kiss on her forehead. “I’m going to go with Joe. I’ll be here first thing in the morning darling,” she promised. “ Please try to get some rest tonight.”

Amanda tried to sit up slightly. “Mother wait, I…”

Dotty silenced her with her finger upon her lips. “Everything is going to be fine Amanda. You just rest, and we’ll talk in the morning,” she reiterated. “Good night Lee. Thank you,” she smiled sincerely.

Lee kissed her on the cheek and watched her exit. He let out a long sigh of relief. He felt as if a weight had been lifted off of his chest. He turned back around to find Amanda staring at him in wonderment.

“Lee, what happened?” she prodded. “What did you tell mother?” she continued asking questions.

Lee reached for her hand and soothed it with his fingertips. “I told her everything Amanda,” he stated proudly.

Amanda tried to speak but Lee’s actions quickly stopped her. He released her hand and slid the blanket slowly off her body. He found the bottom hem of her gown, and started pulling it up.

“What are you doing Lee?” she asked somewhat puzzled.

Lee smiled softly. “Shhhh, be still. I just want to see something,” he insisted.

Amanda wasn’t sure what he had in mind. “Okay,” she said skeptically.

Lee lifted her gown up over her belly. He pulled the sheet back up covering the lower half of her body. He leaned down and placed both hands gently across her stomach. He lightly rubbed and massaged in a circular pattern. He looked up at Amanda with tears threatening to emerge from the corner of his eyes. “I love you Amanda, and I want you to know how much this baby means to me! To have this little miracle, proof of our love, growing inside of you.” He admitted ever so soft and tender. He leaned in closer and placed a soft kiss upon her abdomen.

Amanda was all choked up. “Oh Lee, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you soon….” She cried before he interrupted.

Lee stood back up to look into her eyes. He saw her struggling for an explanation.

“Don’t Amanda. It’s okay. I just want you to get better. You and the baby are all that I’m concerned with right now.” He stressed over and over.

Amanda tried to bring her lips to meet his in a feeble attempt of a kiss. “Wait Amanda! I just want to let you know that I’m going to be there for you always. I want to bring you home and take care of you. I’m going to be the one to care for you and our child.” He stated, before touching his lips gently to hers.

THE END FOR NOW