- Text Size +
June 1991…

Ryan Collins turned down the peanut butter aisle of the grocery store, the red basket he carried having only a few items in it so far. He was musing over why peanut butter and pasta were opposite each other when he saw someone he’d never thought he’d see again.

She had been a significant part of his life over five years prior. He easily remembered back to the summer of ’84, and to the woman who’d captured his heart.

She was just a bit shorter than he was. Her curly brown hair fell just past her shoulders, and her brown eyes were both loving and understanding. She liked dinners out, walks at night in D.C., and performances at the Kennedy Center. She was willing to stay home and watch a baseball game with him, even though he’d fall snoringly asleep.

It was her job that interrupted them on more then one occasion. And then his job as a journalist had sent him to Michigan that August. It wouldn’t have worked out anyway. She had two kids. He didn’t want a ready-made family then.

When he’d left Michigan and moved back to Maryland a year later with more credibility under his belt, he’d found a condo in Rockville. He never expected to see her shopping in his grocery store. Yet there she stood, deciding between Skippy and JIF.

“Amanda? Amanda King?” Ryan asked hesitantly. He was sure it was she, but thought, what if he was mistaken? Didn’t she live in Arlington?

“Ryan?” Amanda asked, arbitrarily putting the Skippy into her cart , “Is that really you?”

Amanda’s mind now skittered back to seven years before. Oh, how her life had changed! And his must have too. He was a couple of inches taller than her; his medium long brown hair was parted to the left. His green eyes seemed older, wiser. He was wearing a red shirt with a tie, black slacks, and a familiar pair of black loafers. He’d always dressed up to go out, wherever they’d gone. She smiled at the memory.

They had dated during the summer of ’84. He was smart, funny, and a lot of fun to be with. He was carefree and open to anything she might want to do when they were out on a date…or in. The memories of their time together were still dear to her heart. She figured out early on that he wasn’t interested in marriage, because of the boys, although Ryan hadn’t explicitly said so. She wasn’t interested in marriage at the time. She had just wanted a friend of the opposite sex, and Ryan was a good one.

“How have you been?” Ryan asked as he shifted his basket of groceries from one hand to the other.

“I’ve been good, Ryan, very good.” Amanda smiled. He’d called her Amanda King, she realized. And she responded without thinking about it, because most people at work called her that still, to differentiate between her and Lee, and because they’d known her as Amanda King for so long. Lee joked that that was her codename now: Mrs. King.

“I’ve been doing okay too. Moved back this way in late ’88. I thought about looking you up.” Ryan admitted, “How’s the job? You still at that film company?”

“IFF, yes.” Amanda admitted. In ’84 she’d hadn’t even been granted agent status yet. One of the main frustrations of their relationship was that she had canceled so many dates, Lee having dropped in on short notice, and her unable to resist a new case. And back then; though she hadn’t admitted it to herself, she was probably already falling in love with for Lee.

Lee was different then: stubborn, stuck up. Yet he cared about her, trying to keep her safe on every mission. He was easily frustrated with her at first, would often tell her exactly what he was thinking whether or not it hurt her. Ryan and Lee were so different from each other.

“Still making those government films? It’s a job I suppose. I’m freelancing now. I can write anything I want and have it get picked up by the papers. It’s nice. My work in Michigan paid off.” Ryan said. Once again those broken dates came to mind. It was always last minute editing, last minute shoots, or going away for a few days to find a good filming location.

“Yes, it’s a good job. I’ve gone full time and gotten a few raises.” Amanda said.

Ryan nodded, “So, when did you move up this way?”

“About two years ago. Nineteen eighty-nine. It was September, I think. We needed more room.”

“That’s good. How are Phillip…and Jamie?”

“They’ve really grown. They’re doing well in school, so that makes me happy. Joe’s taken them white water rafting this weekend. I wasn’t sure about letting them go, but he said they’d take the amateur course, and are required to wear life jackets and helmets. So, they went…” Amanda left off. Phillip and Jamie had never really gotten to know Ryan, the way they had with Lee. Ryan only had a few dinners with the family, and shied away from getting involved with the boys’ extracurricular activities.

Purposely, Amanda put her left hand on the handle of the cart, hoping Ryan would notice it. Her engagement ring and wedding band should convince him that she was off the market. For over four years, she reflected to herself.

“Oh, did you guys get remarried? That’s great. Congratulations.” Ryan said, as well meaning as possible. He hadn’t thought to see if she was married again. He never would have guessed that she’d take Joe back. But then, she was a forgiving, loving woman. He could see her back with her ex again.

“No—”Amanda started to protest that idea.

“So you didn’t. My mistake.” Ryan said, still trying to figure out the marriage, and the rings. He’d never married or had kids. Now a family seemed a good idea. He really wanted to settle down and Amanda was a perfect marriage prospect. The back of his journalist mind nagged him to find out who the husband was, and if Amanda could be stolen from him.

Just then, a toddler came streaking down the aisle calling, “Mommy!”

Along with the youngster, a tall man slowly moseyed along, hands in the pockets of moderately wrinkled blue jeans, a short sleeved, light green Oxford shirt untucked, the tails flapping as he walked, and a pair of black Nikes screeching a bit on the tile floor.

At first, Ryan was merely disappointed that the strangers had interrupted their privacy in the aisle. Disappointment changed to shock when Amanda picked up the child. He opened his mouth to speak, but could not find the words. Promptly, he closed his mouth again.

“What I was trying to say, Ryan, is that I am married, but not to Joe. This is Lee Stetson, and our son, Michael.” Amanda said, smiling at her son. Michael was stabilized on her hip and regarded the strange man with hazel eyes.

“Lee, this is Ryan Collins. He’s a journalist, and an old friend of mine.” Amanda introduced her husband to her ex-boyfriend, as Lee had caught up to her.

“Nice to meet you.” Ryan smiled. The youngster couldn’t have looked more like his father. Ryan sighed inwardly. Amanda had absolutely glowed when Lee arrived at her side. Ryan would have to find a mate elsewhere.

“And you.” Lee said, taking the man’s hand and shaking it.

“I have to be going now, but it really is wonderful seeing you again, Amanda.” Ryan said and moved off.

“What was that about?” Lee asked.

“Oh nothing.” Amanda said, settling Michael into the seat of the cart.

“Amanda that was not just ‘oh nothing.’” Lee insisted. He knew all too well the look of a man who can’t have the woman he wants.

“We dated a long time ago Lee, that’s all. He didn’t quite understand that I am not available now. He actually out-talked me.” Amanda explained.

“Now that would have been something to see.” Lee teased. Amanda swatted his shoulder. He leaned in and kissed her on the lips.

“So are you about done?” Lee asked, eyeballing the cart and seeing some of the stuff he’d asked her to pick up.

“I’ve got a couple of aisles to go, if you guys don’t mind finishing up with me.” Amanda told him, “Did you find what you wanted at Radio Shack?”

“I got a car! A red one!” Michael interjected. Lee laughed and nodded to his son’s reply. Michael had been asking for a “motecatrol car” since he’d seen the one his four year old neighbor Freddy had gotten. Lee couldn’t handle any more nagging after two weeks and gave in.

“Maybe we’ll get some peace in the house.” Amanda said. Michael had turned around and handed Lee a box of cereal to open for him. Lee obliged him, and Michael began munching a way a fistful at a time.

“Hopefully, once I can get some batteries in it.” Lee said as he escorted Amanda and their groceries down the next aisle.

Amanda smiled to herself again. It was too bad it hadn’t worked out with Ryan, but she knew she’d gotten the better end of the deal with her husband and son.

Ryan Collins couldn’t help peeking from around the corner, after he was initially out of earshot. When he saw the kiss between Amanda and Lee, he knew it was the real thing, and that he should go home, forget about Amanda King. Or whatever her last name was now.

THE END