- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters belong to Shoot the Moon and Warner Brothers. No infringement intended, this is done purely for fun, no money exchanged hands. The plot (what there is of a plot) belongs to me.

Specifics: Marriage not common knowledge. Married about 3 months.

Notes: A HUGE thanks goes to my beta team. It would have been finished without you but with a lot of mistakes. Any mistakes left are the fault of the author.
`````````````Wednesday Afternoon````````````````

Running from one end of town to the other wasn’t Lee’s idea of fun. When they’d received the assignment this morning, it looked like a little bit of work and then the rest of the day off. Time to disappear before Amanda had to go home. Some time for just the two of them; the last three months of marriage hadn’t allotted much of that. As it was, it had already been almost two weeks since they found time to disappear for a couple of hours. If things didn’t change here soon, today wasn’t going to work out the way Lee was hoping, either.

```````````````Wednesday Morning Staff Meeting```````````````

Billy leaned forward and started collecting various documents as he wrapped up the meeting, “The Russians have been to quiet lately. With the Summit meeting coming up, that’s making me a little nervous. To everyone it seems that nothing is going on and everything is above board. I want to make sure. I don’t want them sneaking anythings by us. So for everyone who doesn’t already have an assignment, here it is: Check your contacts and keep your eyes and ears open. You know what to look for all file reports directly to me. Outside of that, let’s get old case files cleaned up and reports submitted. Dismissed.”

One by one the agents filed out into the bullpen to start on their various assignments. Stopping at the door Lee turned back towards Billy, “Amanda and I’ll be out in the field the rest of the day checking on things. We’ll check in at 4:30, to see if you’ve heard anything and to report back on what we’ve found.”

Nodding his agreement Billy walked with Lee to the door; “If we’re lucky, they are just quiet right now, but then how often do we get lucky when it comes to the KGB? If nothing happens, then I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Resting his hand on the small of Amanda’s back, Lee weaved their way to the elevator, “We’ll lock the Q-Bureau and head out to see what we can find.”

The first stop they made was Rhonda’s gas station, if something was going on, chances were, she’d know about it. “Sorry Lee, we’ve had a couple of different KGB in a couple of times, but everything seems to be normal. All the talk lately has been centered around who was going to win the next baseball game.”

Extracting twenty dollars to pay for the gas Lee shrugged his shoulders, “If you hear anything let me know. They’re never this quiet.”

Slipping the twenty into her pocket, Rhonda gave a brief wave as Lee and Amanda drove off down the street.

“So who’s next?” Queried Amanda as Lee merged into traffic.

“I’m figuring since we are on this side of town we could stop and see T.P. He might have some useful information,” replied Lee.

It was nearing noon and Lee was betting he could find T.P. at the local ice cream shop. Pulling the ‘vette into a parking space, that wouldn’t allow someone to bump it in the short time they should be there, Lee exited the vehicle and went to open the door for Amanda. “If we’re lucky, T.P. should’ve finished his lunch and just gotten ready to purchase that monstrosity he eats everyday.”

Spotting T.P. at the counter, Amanda smiled brightly and waved at him. “Good afternoon. I see you have your Tutti-Frutti Grande all ready.”

Leading the way back to his table, T.P. took a scoop then responded, “Ah, Mrs. King, how pleasant to see you. Lee, my boy, is there something I can do for you two?”

Scanning the area for unwanted listeners, Lee sat down at the table; “We’re wondering if you’ve heard anything from our Russian friends lately. Things have been really quiet and….”

Interrupting Lee, T.P. grinned, “…. and with the Summit coming to town, things just don’t add up. Well, unfortunately I can’t help you much there. All I know is that the last one held, created such a fiasco during the Summit meeting, the word was passed down that they had better not be embarrassed again or heads would roll.“

Lee understood why the higher ups would be unhappy to have that scene repeated, and grinned at the reminder of what happened last time, “The KGB doesn’t like being made to look like fools. That could be the answer but I’ve learned to never completely trust the Russians. We may be on the same side of things at times, but you always watch your back. So if you hear anything else let us know.”

After thanking T.P. for the information, they started back toward the ‘vette. “Lee it’s lunch time and I’m getting hungry. There’s a little Mom and Pop place not to far from here that has good food. Do you want to stop there and then go to the park and eat?“

Lee opened the car door and assisted Amanda inside, “Sounds good to me. I could use a little something to tide me over until dinner. Which reminds me, what are you making for dinner tonight?”

Amanda waited for Lee to get settled and then gave him directions to the diner. “Who invited you to dinner tonight, huh, buster?” Amanda teased.

Lee stopped at the light and grinned. Leaning over he gave Amanda a quick kiss, “Well, I guess I don’t have to spend time with my wife and family tonight. I could go to dinner by myself or maybe get Billy to buy steaks at Randy’s.”

Soft laughter filled the car, “Well, I guess you can join us for pizza tonight. That is, if you want to pass up steaks and dining alone.”

Finding the diner was easy, but finding parking was another matter entirely. After circling the block twice and just about giving up, a spot opened. Lee pulled her into his arms as they walked around the car, “I’d pass up anything for a night with you and the family. Now let’s go get our food and get to the park for lunch.”

Rosie’s Diner was crowded with teenagers and the noise level was deafening. Leaning towards Lee’s ear Amanda smiled, “We chose a great time to come, lunch hour at the high school. At least we’re not staying.”

Lee grabbed the first open table he found, “Why don’t you stay here and I’ll go order our food. What would you like?”

“I’d like a stuffed hot dog with Swiss cheese and some fries.” She said, after a quick study of the menu.

Quizzically, Lee reopened his menu, “What’s a stuffed hot dog?”

“It’s a hot dog with bacon and whatever kind of cheese you want stuffed inside. They’re really good. The boys had them last time we came.”

“I’ll be back with our food as soon as possible. Hopefully, it won’t take to long,” Lee said as he replaced the menu then headed towards the counter, still wondering about that stuffed hot dog.

Barely five minutes later he returned with a to go bag. “Ready?”

Winding their way through people they headed for the park. Luckily, it was quiet and pretty vacant, leaving lots of desired places to relax and eat. They made their way to a large tree and sat down. As Lee dug into his double bacon cheeseburger, Amanda started on her fries. Both items were quickly devoured and Amanda was starting to feel full. Having temporarily appeased their hunger, they slowed down and chatted about what to do next.

“The only other person we can go see is Augie. The rest of my family only contacts me when they know something and they haven’t called, so this is it. We should be able to find him over at Swan’s Limousine’s garage and office.” Lee commented as he started his fries. “Hopefully, we can see him and then have the rest of the afternoon off. Even a couple of hours before you have to go home would be nice.”

Amanda started ticking off the things that needed done, “Well, I’m sure the apartment needs a little bit of cleaning. I haven’t been over lately. Most likely we need to stop by the store too, you’re probably out of food.”

Lee shook his head, “I’m not talking about cleaning the apartment and I’m not talking about food from the supermarket, I would like some late dessert or maybe an appetizer.” Lee leaned closer to kiss her.

Accepting the kiss Amanda grinned as she ran her tongue around her lips. “How about dessert and appetizers?”

Grinning Lee nuzzled the sensitive spot under her ear, lightly kissing and sucking on the skin, “If we’re going to do that, we’d better leave here soon. Which means you need to finish eating.”

As Lee started to lean back, Amanda captured his lips for a deep kiss. Then grabbed her stuffed hot dog. A mischievous grin crossed her features as she pulled the hot dog from the bun. Making sure she had eye contact with Lee, she slowly swirled her tongue around the tip, before taking it into her mouth. Nipping the top of the hot dog, she withdrew it and slowly chewed the morsel. She gave the end a light squeeze and a small amount of Swiss cheese spurted out of the opening. Glancing down at the meat in her hand, she swirled her tongue around the tip and slowly cleaned the cheese off before taking it back in her mouth. Peeking up at Lee, she saw the heat smoldering in his eyes as she took off another section and more cheese came out. Knowing Lee wouldn’t let her go on much longer, she quickly swallowed the bite and started sucking the cheese out.

Lee waited for Amanda to remove the hot dog from her mouth, not able to take much more. She barely had it out, when he pulled her into his embrace and crushed his lips to hers. The hot dog was quickly forgotten as it fell to the ground. Tongues meshed and passions soared as the kiss quickly intensified. Finally, releasing her lips from his consuming kiss, Lee pulled back.

A grinning Amanda gathered the discarded food wrappers and what was left of the hot dog. All was deposited into a nearby trash can, “Ready to go see Augie, Scarecrow?”

Shaking his head at what his wife had just done to him, they started back toward the car. “Trust me, this meeting with Augie will be the quickest one yet. After that little scene, I can’t wait to get back to the apartment.”

Finding Augie turned out to be something of a chore. When they reached his office they learned he had taken one of the limos out in place of one of the drivers who’d called in sick. Finally getting the destination and times out of the secretary, they started towards Alexandria. A little perturbed about the distance they had to go to track him down, Lee quickly made his way through the heavy traffic and onto the George Washington Parkway.

Lee’s ire quickly rose with each time consuming delay of his goal. Amanda wouldn’t let him forget Augie though; sometimes Augie knew about stuff that no one else did. They had to see him before they could report back and be done with it.

The trip to Alexandria took longer than it should have thanks to gawkers slowing at a minor fender bender. What should’ve been a twenty-five minute drive took over an hour. Luckily, Augie was right on time at the banquet hall where Lee and Amanda had hoped to catch him.

Lee leaned up against the side of the limo and tapped on the window. As the window slowly lowered, Lee leaned over and looked in, “Hello, Augie. Got a minute?”

Augie recognized the voice before he saw Lee’s face and groaned, “Not right now, I’m working.”

Keeping his hands on the now lowered window Lee smiled, “According to your books you don’t have to be anywhere but here for the next forty-five minutes. I’d say that gives you a little time to talk to us.”

Knowing that he couldn’t escape, Augie rested his head back against the seat, “Get in and we’ll talk.”

Lee opened the door for Amanda then slid in beside her. “What do you hear from the Russians lately?”

Sighing, Augie replied, “Nothing that you guys need to worry about. They’ve been told they have to behave until after the Summit is over. Nothing is to happen that has the slightest chance of embarrassing Mother Russia at the conference this time. So to keep themselves occupied. They’ve been betting on our national pastime. Do you want in on the action, Cubs over Dodgers eight to one?”

Lifting the door handle Lee started to exit the car, “No thanks Augie. If you hear anything you know where to find me.”

Lee realized, as they made their way back to the ‘vette, that it would be close to five before they got back to his place, if traffic was as bad as it had been to get out there, “Why don’t you go ahead and call Billy while I get us out of here. Hopefully, no one else has found anything other than what we have.”

Luck held with them on one, but not the other. No other agents had gotten anything back from their contacts. Unfortunately, traffic was a nightmare heading back towards D.C. Three accidents marred the road and they ended up having only enough time to head for Arlington.

Dinner was a success for the most part. Lee and Amanda kept a slight distance between each other knowing, that any chance at alone time was now gone. After sending the kids to bed, Lee pulled Amanda close and kissed her softly. “Maybe tomorrow.”

The End