- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. Promise to return them when I'm done.

Matthew

I’m Matthew Stetson. I'm three years old. I’ve been around the block a few times, but I must admit, this is the first Christmas I can remember, and boy I am learning alot of new stuff. I'm finding out I'm not as wordly as i thought. Eh live and learn I say.

Mom set out these ugly clothes on my dresser, the dressy type. She says we have to go to church, for Christmas Eve services. I don’t want to wear them. I like my old jeans and fire truck shirt. Mom says I have to wear my good clothes to church not my everyday clothes. I don’t want to go there it’s stuffy and I have to be quiet, I don’t like to be quiet that’s just not in my nature. They try putting me into the nursery. That doesn't last long, Dad has to come and get me about a half an hour later because I was kicked out. I think the lady just didn’t know how to keep up with me. I didn’t think I did anything that bad. I just pinched a couple of girls butts, spilled paint all over the floor, glued this one kids hands to his head. oh I used a marker to draw on the chalkboards. I don't think it was anything to get kicked out for. Dad asks how can one little boy could get into so much trouble? I just shrug my shoulder and giggle.

After Dad came, and rescued me from the church nursery, we all drove home to decorate the tree. once we all were in the house, everyone went separate ways doing their own Christmas stuff.

The Christmas stuff is really neat. I've been watching my Mom and Dad and my two older brothers’ and my grandma scurry around for weeks, just to get ready for this one day called Christmas. I'm not sure I understand it but Mom and Dad try to explain it to me. I just sit there starring at them nodding my head until my Mom ran out of breath.

I like to discover things, new things, and boy have I been discovering things lately. Dad brought home this tree and it was really big and full. I don't remember a tree in the house, but hey this could be fun to climb.

It’s low enough for me to give it a try. Looking around I spot Dad in the kitchen snatching cookies off the plate faster the Grandma can pull them out of the oven. I stood there for a few minutes watching Grandma laughing and smacking Dad’s hands for taking her cookies.

Taking another look around to see what the others were doing, I see Mom in the closet digging for something. OK she is to busy to notice me. Now then I took another look to see where Jamie and Philip went but I don’t see them anywhere. Glancing back at the tree I think ‘your mine.’ Crawling under the tree I begin to weed my way through the branches when the tree decided to wiggle. Oops I hang on the branches a few moments hoping it will stop. It does and I continue to climb. I'm half way up the tree when it startes wiggling again. I stop again because I knew it would stop in a second. Almost there I think, as I continue my journey up the tree. It started to sway a little bit at first and then it started swaying, more and more when I get closer to the top. I'm now hanging on for dear life, thinking maybe this was not such a good discovery. I try to stop the tree from moving but it doesn't work. It startes to fall over and I know then I'm going to go with it.

Hearing Dad yell from across the room "What the hell is wrong with the tree. Did they sell me one with a rodent in it?" I yell for "help" as it starts to fall. I hear Dad running over to catch it, but the tree smacks him on the head knocking him over landing on top of him. Picking through the bushes I look straight in to my daddy’s face. "Hi Daddy are you ok?"

Lee groaned from under the tree. Taking both hands pulling the branches apart he came face to face with a smiling Matthew. "What on earth are you doing in the tree Matt.”

Matthew looks at his father’s face for a minute "climbing Daddy."

Boy, is Mom and Dad angry with me. After they set the tree back up, they begin inspecting me for any kind of damage. Lee seeing his son was ok picked him up. "Matthew Christmas tree’s are not for climbing they are for decorating and putting Christmas presents under. Do you understand what I’m trying to say to you?"

I nod my head up and down. But I really have no idea what he means, but I don’t think I’ll try that again anytime soon.

He doesn't really know what your saying.” Amanda says watching her son’s expression. Picking me up off of Dad’s lap, she holds me and looks me right in the eyes. Mattie you don’t climb in the tree’s ok? She tells me putting me down on my feet.

Later on, Mom and Dad hang up these little twinkle lights and colored glass balls all over the tree. I begin to think I can have some fun with these hmmm.

Mom is around the back of the tree hanging the colored balls on the branches and Dad is up on the ladder doing the same on the top. I spot Jack my Dad’s dog lying in the corner sleeping. I know he likes to hunt and fetch. I wonder if he would like to play ball with me. Taking a quick glance at my parents to see that they were busy still. I snatch one of the balls out of the tray sitting on the floor. They are smaller then the balls Dad throws to him in the back yard, and these have shinny spots all over them. Don’t know what that stuff is but that’s ok. Bending down in front of Jack, I shake him to wake him up. He lifts his head up to see what I want. I show him the ball and he stands up ready for me to throw it. I wind up my throw and let it fly, but I didn’t watch where I was throwing it. Jack ran full speed hitting the ladder with Dad on it. Dad, came down real fast hitting the floor, yelling that if he makes it through this Christmas alive he will be happy.

After Mom helps Dad up off the floor again. She sits me in a chair and says I have to sit here and not touch anything for 2 minutes. Me, not touch anything, that’s not in my nature. Doesn't Mom know anything. Dad just stands there rubbing his head and backside, muttering something about how his three year old son has put more aches and pains on his body, then a room full of bad guys has in the last ten years.

I'm watching Dad set the ladder back up he points his finger at me and says not to move while he is on the ladder or he will bring in Jack’s carrier and put me in it.

Dad climbs back up the ladder placing an angel on the top of the tree. She is pretty just like my mommy.

Now comes the best part that is the long strings of popcorn they wind around the tree. Yummy popcorn that tastes really good. Of course Mom doesn’t know I sneak some from the bowl she has sitting on the floor.

I sneak food a lot now with this Christmas thing, Mom and Grandma make a lot of good stuff to eat. Mom say’s I can’t have a lot, she claims it’ll give me a tummy ache. Hey I know my tummy it say’s it wants fresh baked cookies, cake, pies and candy. It’s all over the place so why can’t I eat it? When Mom and Grandma turn’s their back or leaves the kitchen for a while then, I strike. My family needs eyes in the back of their heads to keep track of me. I’m good you know.

And why can’t I have what I want. Everyone else eats what he or she wants. I see Dad take cookies all the time. Jamie and Philip eat cookies and candy. So how come they get to eat it and I can’t. What is so special about them? I’ll show them who is boss around here.

I give my mom a lot of credit, she does catch me snatching goodies sometimes. When she does, she scolds me, washes me up, and takes me to Dad. She always says he’s your son. I don’t know what she means by that but Dad just laughs and say’s yes dear.

I try to be good for a little while, so Dad will let me go play again. I forget I’m trying to be good, so I go back into the kitchen and see the cat eating its food.

Jamie brought home a cat for me. It didn’t go over to well with the rest of the family but I cried when Mom said to take that thing out of her house. Its bad enough Philip and Dad brought home a dog. She really didn’t want a dog and a cat running around the house. But one look on my face she caved. . . I knew I had my Mom wrapped around my finger.

I just give her my smile, the one that shows my dimples, that works every time. She always says she can’t resist that look because I remind her of my father when he wants something or when he is in trouble. It’s that Stetson charm thing, or at least that’s what she always says, I don’t really understand that either.

I go over to the cat to snag some food, Mom really hates that, but not as much as Whiskers does. I’m not afraid of no kitty. I really like to catch him when he’s drinking out of the toilet. As he leans into the bowl to get a drink, I sneak up and knock him in. Boy does he really hate that!

Mom has caught me eating Whiskers and Jacks food before, they usually don’t leave it out anymore for me to get to. But I guess with everything going on she forgot.

Whiskers and Jack also hate when I try to brush their teeth. Mom is always telling me, I have to brush my teeth. That clean teeth keeps my mouth and gums healthy. So why don’t Whiskers and Jack have to brush. Oh well if they don’t see me using their toothbrushes then what they don’t know won’t hurt them

I don’t know why I’m not allowed to eat the cat or dog food or drink out of the toilet. Darn cat even drinks from the tree water. I should try that sometime, that could be fun. Oh wait I need to stay away from that tree.

But there is so much stuff, I wonder what’ in there? I just want to take a quick peek, under the tree. I pick up this box wondering what’s in here. I give it a good shake, not hearing much just a little rustling sound. Clothes I say then I toss it aside and grab another box. This one rattled must be toys yeah. Trying to rip open the paper I hear Dad yell, "STOP DROP THAT PRESENT." Oh I’m in trouble again.

Mom comes over and rescues me saying it was time for bed, I told her I wasn’t tired but she tells me Santa Clause wouldn’t come if I’m awake. I ask why? Mom says because Santa only comes when little boys and girls are sleeping. Ok so I ask again how does Santa come into our house when Daddy locks all the doors and window’s and sets the burgler alarm? Won’t he set it off? Mom tells me know it won’t go off because Santa doesn’t come through doors or windows he comes down the chimney.

I asked how can he fit in the chimney he’s too big and Daddy has a fire going won’t he get a burned butt. Moms ruffles my hair and says no he will fit trust her and as for the fire Daddy will put it out before he goes to bed. I told her ok but I’m still not tired. She tells me that’s too bad because you're going any way as she puts me in bed.

As soon as the door was shut I sneak out of bed. Opening the door to listen to see where Mom went, I could hear Mom and Dad downstairs teasing each other. I hear Mom say to Dad that Santa brought him some presents too.

I go down the stairs and peek around the corner to see what Mommy and Daddy are up too. I know Grandma, Philip and Jamie are out for a while something about grandma and a date and my brother’s visiting their real father. I don’t know what that means. I’ll have to ask one day, but right now I have more important things to do.

Mom seems real happy, they are standing by the Christmas tree kissing and Dad whispers something to Mom to make her giggle. Yuck mushy stuff. I hear Mom say she is going to bed, but not before leaving milk and cookies on the coffee table.

I leave the stairs and go to the closet to hide until they are gone. I hear Dad try to snatch one of the cookies but Mom slaps his hand and tells him they are for Santa. Dad just chuckles, and chases her up the stairs.

I wait for the bedroom door to slam. Then I strike again like lightening speed, for the presents. I spot the milk and cookies sitting on the table left by Mom. I don’t care whose cookies they are; these cookies are mine Mmmmm.... Chocolate chip, and peanut butter, my favorites.

I just finish the last cookie and the glass of milk, when boy I get a scare that almost makes me choke. Dad is standing in the doorway asking me "what was I doing. Those were Santa’s cookies." Of course I get in trouble again. . . and sent to bed like always, but hey, it was worth it I got some cookies out of the deal.

Dad says he is going to sit in my room until I go to sleep, who is he fooling he will sit in the rocking chair and be out in less then five minutes, I can out wait him.

Lying here I pretend to go to sleep. I open my eyes a tiny bit to see what my Dad is doing. I watch him yawn then he closes his eyes, I knew then he was a goner.

Not ten minutes later I was right Dad’s sitting in the chair snoring.

I sneak back out of bed and make a beeline again for the presents. I lay here just looking at the tree and all the pretty colorful boxes, Santa must have been here.

Since it is almost daylight, I lay next to the boxes and fell asleep. Boy won’t everyone be surprised when they wake up.

Mom gently shakes me awake, the whole family was up and gathering around the tree. Jamie and Philip are asking when can they open presents. I asked is it time? Dad looks at everyone and say’s "this is what Christmas is all about, family." Mom gets up and gives him a hug then tells him "to pass out the presents."

Yes, finally I can rip open my presents. This Christmas stuff sure is great.

Dad hands me one of my presents, I tear off the paper in a hurry. I flip off the lid clothes, you have to be joking. I get clothes all the time where are the toys. I get a couple more presents and there are more clothes, and a couple of puzzles. I am beginning to think this Santa stuff is a crock. Looking over at my brothers they are getting stereos and TV's cool stuff that I want. Is Santa getting even with me, or what.

I see Dad hand Mom a present saying it was from him. Then everyone else handing each other presents saying they are from each other.

While everyone is busy opening their presents. I get to thinking I’m the only one here that didn’t get anybody presents. It’s not too late, I’ll think of something. I know I have it, I'll just sneak under the tree and leave a present of my own. There, I made it. Oh oh, Mom spots me.

"Mattie! What are you doing under that tree again?"

"Nothing" I say, as I come out from under the tree.

Mom gets up and heads around the tree to get the rest of the presents. "Oh, honey! Look what the darn dog of yours did under the tree."

The End