- Text Size +
It's a Long Story

August 3, 2002

3:00 PM

The family room resembled what could be called a disaster area-in Lee's opinion that was the understatement of the year. Spaghetti sauce was splattered on the sofa and the wall-the wall that also bore faint traces of several crayon drawings. Toys were strewn from one end of the floor to the other, including the crushed remnants of a plastic action-figure that Lee had accidentally stepped on as he came through the door. Arms crossed, Lee strode back and forth in front of the sofa and looked sternly at his daughter, who sat there on the sofa, her fingers twisting together as she looked up at him.

"So," he said. "Tell me exactly what happened."

Jenna's hair and clothes were also splattered with spaghetti sauce-on her forehead a small red mark was already beginning to form. "Where do you want me to start?" She said.

"Where do I want you to start?" Lee repeated.

"Why don't you start at the beginning sweetheart?" Amanda came in from the kitchen, handing Jenna an ice-pack for her head and taking a seat in the recliner opposite.

"Thanks Mom," Jenna said, pressing the pack against her forehead. "Well it all started with Harrison. I've babysat for him before and he's always been a little hyper, but this time it was worse. I think maybe he had too much sugar or something-even watching Rugrats didn't calm him down and he usually loves Rugrats."

Lee massaged his temple-he could already feel a dull throbbing ache in his head. "What then?" He said, fighting to keep his tone as patient as possible.

"I got out Jamie's old toys and some crayons and a coloring book," Jenna said. "I figured that maybe if he had something to play with he wouldn't act up. But Harrison just threw the toys around and instead of coloring in the book-"

"He decided to color the walls instead," Amanda said.

Jenna nodded. "I tried to stop him but he kicked me," she said. "I figured I would have time to clean it off before you guys came home. I was trying to do that when the doorbell rang. I answered it and-" her voice trailed off as she looked down at her feet.

This was the part that Lee had been waiting for. "Go on," he said. "You answered the door and who was there?"

Jenna sighed. "Paul Davidson," she said.

"And?" Lee said.

"I let him in," Jenna said.

"Something you know you're not supposed to do," Lee said. "Jenna you know the rules about company when we're not here."

"But Dad, Paul said that he could help me with Harrison," Jenna said. "He says he's got three little brothers of his own and two of them are pretty hyper."

Lee almost swore that he could feel his blood pressure rise. He took a deep breath and ran his hands through his hair, saying a silent prayer for strength. "It doesn't matter, Jenna," he managed to say. "Rules are not there for you to break them whenever you feel like it."

"Sweetheart tell us what happened next," Amanda said.

"Paul thought that maybe if Harrison had something to eat that would calm him down," Jenna said. "So I found a can of Chef Boyardee in the cabinets and we made him a bowl of ravioli. But it didn't work."

"It didn't?" Lee said.

"No, he threw it," Jenna said. "Tossed the ravioli all over the walls and then he threw the empty bowl right at my head. It really hurt too. And Paul was checking that I was okay when we started, I mean we were-" her cheeks were beginning to redden.

"Kissing," Lee said, remembering the scene that had greeted him as he and Amanda had walked in the door barely a half-hour ago. He had the feeling that the image of Jenna wrapped in that boy's arms and their lips locked together would stay with him for quite a while.

"Well it wasn't like we planned to kiss," Jenna said. "But he was being so nice and I guess it just sort of happened."

"Kisses don't just `happen', Jenna," Lee began, but Amanda interrupted him.

"Jenna I understand why you let Paul in," Amanda said. "I'm sorry that Harrison was impossible today. But your father's absolutely right-you shouldn't have broken our rules. You know you're not supposed to have company at the house when we're not here to supervise."

"I know," Jenna said. "I'm really sorry."

"Those rules are there to protect you," Lee said. "Not because we're being mean or unfair. Do you understand?"

"I understand," Jenna said, looking up at them. "Does this mean I'm in trouble?"

"You're grounded for one week," Amanda said, looking over at Lee, who nodded in silent agreement. "Which means that except for going places with us you have to stay home."

"And no phone privileges," Lee said. "Including your cell phone."

"But it's summer-I'll be bored to death," Jenna said.

"I'm sure you'll live," Amanda said. "Now I want you to go upstairs and wash and change, and then you're coming down here to help us clean up this mess."

"Okay," Jenna said as she stood. "I know one thing I'll never do
again."

"What's that?" Lee asked.

"Babysitting," Jenna said, shuddering slightly. "It's just way too much trouble." With that remark she turned and walked up the stairs, leaving Lee speechless.

The End