- Text Size +
He Really Thought I was Cute

August 6,2002

"Do we have to do this?" Jenna said.

Lee looked over at his daughter. "You told me you wanted to get out of the house."

"Yeah, but to go grocery shopping?" Jenna said.

"You're still grounded, remember?" Lee said as he turned the Taurus into the Harris Teeter parking lot. "This is the only chance you'll have to get out this week, so make the best of it, huh?"

Jenna sighed. "I'll try," she said.

"Good," Lee said. "Now read me what's on the grocery list."

Jenna looked down at the notepad that she was holding. "Okay, there's a bag of ice, butter, milk, eggs, bacon, oatmeal, chicken, pork-chops, microwave dinners, salad stuff, ground beef, eggs, hollandaise sauce mix, coffee and cat food." She looked at Lee. "Can we get another catnip toy? Oscar really likes to play with them."

"I guess that wouldn't strain the budget too much," Lee said as he pulled into a parking space.

"And a Soap Opera Digest?" Jenna said.

"Don't push it, munchkin," Lee said as they got out of the car and walked across the parking lot.

"That's okay," Jenna said. "The soaps are kind of boring right now anyway."

Lee grinned. "Glad to hear it," he said

"Hey!" The shout came from behind. Lee and Jenna turned around to see a blond freckle-faced boy around Jenna's age, peering out of the window of a slowly moving car.

"You're cute!" The boy said, looking directly at Jenna, whose cheeks had begun to turn a deep pink color.

"Excuse me?" Lee said, walking closer to the boy as the car pulled to a stop in front of them. "That's my daughter you're talking to." He felt Jenna tugging at his arm.

"Dad stop it, you're embarrassing me," she said. Lee ignored her.

The boy's face turned a little pale. "I just thought she was cute," he stammered. "That's all."

The boy's face in the window was joined by an older, dark-haired boy who looked to be around 17 or 18-he was the one driving the car.

"I have to apologize for my little brother, sir," the older boy said. "He's needs to be more careful about what he says to people. Don't you, Nick?"

"Sorry," Nick mumbled.

"We accept the apology," Lee said.

"Thanks," the older boy said, smiling. "Have a good day, sir-you too, ma'am." The car drove on past them, disappearing out of the parking lot. Lee turned around, expecting to see an indignant Jenna. Instead his daughter was smiling.

"What is it?" he said.

"He really thought I was cute?" Jenna said.

"Come on," Lee said tightly, as they headed toward Harris Teeter's front entrance. "Let's get this shopping over with, okay?"

"He was cute too," Jenna said, who had to practically run now to keep up with Lee's long strides. "Don't you think he was cute? Nick's a cute name."

Lee rubbed at his forehead, which was starting to ache. "Jenna-" he said warningly, but his daughter just continued talking.

"But his brother was cuter," she said. "And he called me ma'am too-that was cool."

"Jenna," Lee said, a little more loudly this time.

"What is it?" Jenna said.

"What do you say about a Soap Opera Digest in exchange for a little quiet?"

The End