- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters from Scarecrow and Mrs. King are the
property of Warner Brothers and Shoot the Moon Productions. I have
borrowed the characters without the consent or knowledge of Warner
Brothers or Shoot the Moon. This story, however, is copyrighted to
the mentioned author. This story is for entertainment purposes ONLY.
If you would like to add it to an archive, please just let me know.

Timeframe: Set during the series, but right after the end of "Any
Number Can Play".

Author's Note: This story was written because of a challenge line
issued on an SMK website. The challenge line that had to be used
was "What do you mean you saw him naked?" Thanks to Jan, my partner
in crime, for betaing this for me, it really is so much better
because of her assistance.

Also, while the debate is still out there about when Lee and Amanda
actually consummated their relationship, I for one am of two minds on
the subject; sometimes I believe they waited till the wedding night,
and sometimes I believe they made the leap as a way to celebrate
their engagement. For this story, I am standing on the fence that
they celebrated their engagement in style.

One additional note/disclaimer. Jan, my beta, mentioned that she
remembered reading something similar. I want to stipulate that I have
not read anything like this, but I do apologize upfront to anyone who
might be the author of something that is very similar. No
infringement on your idea/story was intended.
Satin and Scones

Dotty opened the front door and stepped into the foyer.
Finally, after what had seemed like an eternity, she was home.
Shutting the door behind her, she called for her daughter. Not
getting a reply, she headed into the kitchen and threw her purse on
the counter. "Amanda," she called again, but still all she received
in response was silence. She glanced around the counter and on the
fridge, looking for any indication of a note. Not that she expected
to get one; after all she wasn't even expected home for another few
hours.

However, after what Dotty had just heard at the beauty parlor
from Millicent, she had decided to skip the mall and head straight
home. She had to share the news with Amanda. Since there wasn't any
note, and Amanda's car was in the driveway, she decided to try
upstairs.

As Dotty reached the top of the stairs, she heard the sound
of running water coming from Amanda's room. She was about to turn
and head back downstairs when she heard the water shut off. This
news was too good to sit on…she was just bursting to tell Amanda. It
wasn't that she didn't want to respect Amanda's privacy, but what did
her daughter have that she hadn't seen a dozen times? She opened the
bedroom door and headed into her daughter's room. "Amanda, you just
have to hear what Millicent McDonald told me…" Her voice trailed off,
and she stared at the handsome man in front of her. "Oh my." Her
eyes grew wide as they took in the dripping wet hunk of manhood that
stood before her.

Dotty was mesmerized by the sight. She had always said that
Lee was an eleven but that was just on his looks and manners, now, as
she scanned his tightly muscled abs and legs and stared admiringly at
his package, she decided she was wrong. Very wrong. He was
definitely a fifteen.

Lee was just as stunned as Dotty was. He had been drying
himself off when he'd heard the bedroom door open. Thinking that his
fiancée had entered, he hadn't bothered to wrap the towel around
himself before making his way into the bedroom. However, now, as he
quickly realized that he was still standing there stark naked, he
automatically began to wrap it around his waist. Unfortunately, in
his embarrassed state, he couldn't get the towel knotted, and it
slipped from his fingers. As he bent down to pick it up, he banged
his head on the doorframe. "Ouch!"

"Lee… Oh, are you okay." Dotty shook her head and
automatically started towards the now injured man. Then, realizing
that he was still naked and that she had been staring at him, she
quickly turned her now beat red face away from the picture of
perfection, spun around and almost ran out of the bedroom.

Clutching his now throbbing head with one hand, Lee stood up
and tried to tie the towel around his waist. "Dotty!" He called after
her. He started to head out of the room after her, but decided that
it probably wasn't the best idea to go after her wearing nothing but
a towel. He dropped the towel and grabbed the pair of shorts he'd
left on Amanda's bed. He tried to put them on as he walked and
managed to trip himself. With one hand still on his shorts, he put
the other one out in front to meet the floor. He didn't need another
smack on the head. This day was already turning into a nightmare.

Standing back up, Lee pulled his shorts all the way on and
made his way towards the door. He stopped just as he reached it and
realized he couldn't go after his future mother-in-law in just a pair
of shorts. Amanda yes, but not Dotty. Not wanting to waste anymore
time, he grabbed the first thing he could lay his hands on and
slipping his arms into the sleeves, he raced out the door and down
the stairs.

"Dotty!" Lee called as he ran down the steps two at a time.
He prayed she hadn't run outside. If she had left the house, he'd be
faced with a dilemma. Did he run after his future mother-in-law, or
stay inside? If he ran after her, then he would stir up more trouble
for Amanda. It would be very hard for his fiancée to avoid the gossip
that his current attire was going to spread through the neighborhood
rumor mill. But if he didn't run after her, then things between
himself and Amanda's mother would be extremely awkward, and that
wasn't how he wanted to start out married life… having to walk on
eggshells around his own mother-in-law. "Dotty!" He called again as
he jumped down the last step and turned into the kitchen-den area.
He let out a brief sigh of relief when he saw that she was still
inside. "I have a very good explanation..."

Dotty had been walking aimlessly around the den. Her mind
was a mixture of embarrassment, shock and anger. She didn't know Lee
all that well, and while she had suspected that Lee and Amanda were
now dating somewhat seriously, she hadn't realized it was that
serious. Lee was practically a stranger to her and she had just
found him, naked, in her daughter's bathroom. Upon hearing Lee
descending the stairs, she'd gone over to the coffee table and picked
up the pile of magazines and began re-organizing them. Unable to
look at her daughter's boyfriend, she kept her eyes focused on the
pile of magazines in her hand. "Okay, explain. I can't wait to hear
what you were doing in Amanda's shower…" She placed the now organized
magazines on to the table and then still not wanting to look at Lee,
picked them back up again. "And while we're on the subject, where
exactly is my daughter?"

"Amanda had to run and pick up something…" Lee began with
the safe answer.

"Protection?" Dotty muttered under her breath, a little
louder she pressed the issue again. "And you were using her shower
why?"

"It was closer than going back to my apartment." He began a
bit lamely. He didn't know where to go from there. He couldn't
exactly tell her why he'd been was using Amanda's shower. He'd just
spent the better part of his morning going through a dumpster looking
for a microdot and that the smell had been overpowering and that
Amanda's house was much closer. So he decided to try a diversionary
tactic. "I'm sorry. I thought you were Amanda." He replied and then
realized how lame even that answer sounded. He never was good at
explaining anything to a parental figure, he seemed to get all tongue
tied.

"Well that much was obvious." Dotty picked up the pile and
re-arranged the magazines a second time. "Even if you thought I was
Amanda, don't you know that walking around naked and wet is never a
good idea?" Despite her current emotions, she was a mother, and her
motherly instincts took over. "You could catch cold." She had a
strong desire to give him the motherly glare he deserved, but she was
still too embarrassed to look him in the face.

Amanda chose that moment to enter through the back door.
Before she had a chance to take in the situation fully, she replied
automatically to her mother's comment. "What do you mean you saw him
naked?" Then, taking one quick look at her husband in her pink satin
bathrobe, drops of water still clinging to his freshly washed and not
yet combed hair and her mother avoiding all eye contact, she bit her
lip to keep from laughing.

Dotty felt relieved to finally have someone to make eye
contact with, and removing her gaze from the magazines in her arms,
she glanced up and glared at her daughter. "I was looking for you."
She dropped the magazines unceremoniously onto the table. "Why isn't
important." Placing her hands on her hips, and gave the motherly
glare to her daughter. "What I really want to know, and have yet to
get a straight answer on, is what he," she pointed back towards
Lee, "was doing in your room, naked and looking for you, in the first
place."

Amanda's gaze moved to her fiancé and while he looked damn
sexy, even if he was in her bathrobe, the sight of him in her
bathrobe was making it very hard for her to keep a straight face.
Knowing that her mother was probably extremely embarrassed, as was
Lee, laughing now was not going to make the situation
better. "Lee," she moved her gaze to his face as she walked over to
him. "Why don't you go put these clean clothes on," she handed him
the small duffle bag she'd brought back from his apartment. "I'll
explain to mother."

Lee started to open his mouth to remind her not to give away
trade secrets, then stopped. Amanda had come up with enough stories
over the last three and a half years, that he really had no reason to
worry. "Okay." He reached out to take the bag from her, but almost
lost his balance, again, when she pulled him closer.

"I like the outfit." Amanda whispered and then placed a kiss
on his cheek. "Now, go." She smiled as she watched him turn around,
and resisted the urge to give his satiny bottom a smack; she didn't
need to give her mother anymore ammo than she already had. She
waited until he had gone up a few steps before turning back to face
the infamous West inquisition.

Dotty had watched the exchange between her daughter and Lee
with extreme interest. Obviously there was a lot more going on than
a couple in the early stages of dating. Amanda and Lee were a lot
more comfortable with each other. She really shouldn't be surprised,
after all her daughter was an adult, and was entitled to a fulfilling
love-life. After all, she still enjoyed a good romp in the hay.
Now, she met her daughter's questioning and expectant gaze with a
shrug and moved over to sit on the couch and patted the cushion
beside her.

Amanda took the cue and moved into the den, sitting down and
turning to face her mother. "It was all perfectly innocent Mother,"
she began, "we were checking out this restaurant for a possible
documentary on places on Capitol Hill frequented by diplomats and
Lee's camera lens fell into one of the dumpsters. He ended up going
into the dumpster to retrieve it. And rather than smell like garbage
all day, and since I lived closer than his apartment, we just came
here. Trust me, the stench was awful. It was so bad, I ended up
throwing his other clothes away. So while he showered, I ran back to
his place to grab some clothes for him." She watched her mother's
face wondering if Dotty believed her. Her mother really had no
reason not to; after all it was almost the whole truth. Lee had gone
into the dumpster, just not to retrieve a camera lens.

Dotty sighed and patted her daughter's leg
affectionately. "Amanda, dear. You're a grown woman, I have no
right to judge what you do with your life. I guess I was just a
little more embarrassed than anything and I took my embarrassment out
on Lee a little more angrily than I had planned."

"What were you doing in my room anyway, Mother?" Amanda
asked, her expression curious. "I mean, you don't normally just come
barging in without knocking and waiting for a response, first. And
come to think of it, aren't you supposed to be at the mall with Edna
right now?"

Suddenly the reason for coming home early came rushing back
to Dotty, and her early embarrassment immediately dissipated. "Yes,
but I found something out that I just had to share with you before it
got around the neighborhood. You know what, why don't I go fix us
both a cup of tea, and tell you over one of those nice scones you
picked up this morning?" She pushed off from the cushion and rose
from her seat.

Amanda's curiosity was now really piqued. Whatever it was,
it had to be really good to make her mother miss an afternoon of
shopping. "That sounds like a good idea." She stood up and followed
her mother into the kitchen. "I'll get the scones and plates down."

Dotty took the kettle from the stove, and as she placed it
under the faucet, Amanda went to the cabinet beside her to take down
some plates. "By the way, dear, I take back what I said about Lee."

With three plates in hand, Amanda looked over at her
mother. "Oh?"

"Yes, I was wrong. He's not an eleven. He's not even a
fifteen. I may never be able to look him in the eyes again, but I
can tell you with absolutely certainty," Dotty turned off the water
and walking around her daughter, placed the kettle on the
stove, "he's a twenty."

"That he is, Mother." Amanda leaned back and caught sight of
her now fully dressed fiancé standing on the landing. "That he is."
She winked and then made her way over to the kitchen table with the
bag of scones and plates in hand. This afternoon was going to be
very interesting indeed, but one thing was certain, she wasn't going
to let her mother or fiancé leave the house until they could both
look each other in the eye again.

The End