- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Instructions: You must use the above line of dialogue in your story exactly as stated. Don't forget your submission can be any length - from one line to a full-length story - and it can be SMK, B5 or anything else as long as it has a link to either SMK or B5.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Characters and episodes mentioned in this fanfic from
the TV show Scarecrow and Mrs. King do not belong to me, but to Shoot
the Moon and Warner Brothers et als. I am just borrowing them for
some fun.

Timeline: Just after Nightcrawler
The 15 Minute Break

The bullpen water cooler area was abuzz with the ladies from steno
taking their first morning break. "Ohhhhh! There is he is, ladies!
What a gorgeous specimen..." Lisa exclaimed as she and the others
took in the sight of Lee Stetson strolling through the bullpen
doors. "I'd give anything to go on a date with that man."

"Yeah, he is dreamy!! Thinking about those hazel eyes and that sexy
body of his has gotten me through many a boring day down in steno,"
Tobi said with a wistful tone in her voice.

"Well, I can do you one better than that, Tobi! You guys wanna hear
something really delicious?? I've seen the great Scarecrow naked!!"
Tammy whispered conspiratorially.

"No way!!!!" the steno ladies exclaimed in unison.

"What do you mean you saw him naked? IF that's true, then how come
you have never mentioned that to us before, Tammy?" Lisa asked,
doubtful of Tammy's sudden confession.

"Well, a few months back, I took a part-time receptionist job at a
day spa to earn a little extra money. One afternoon, Mr. Stetson
came in for a massage with Lana, who is supposed to be one of the
best massage therapists in D.C. Well, right after he came in, Lana
got an urgent phone call, and I stuck my head in her office door,
thinking she had already started on Mr. Stetson's massage. Much to
my surprise, she hadn't begun yet. Mr. Stetson had just finished
undressing and was getting ready to lie down on the massage table,
and I saw him full-on naked!" Tammy exclaimed, finally stopping to
take a breath.

"What happened?" "What did he say?" "What did you say?" The girls
fired off questions in rapid fire succession.

"Well, of course, after I found my voice and was finally able to look
him in the eyes, I apologized profusely. I told him that Lana had an
urgent phone call and that I was just trying to locate her," Tammy
explained.

"To this day, I don't even think he recognized me as being someone
who works for the Agency. He never even gives me a second glance
when I see him in the hall. Being a spy, you would think he would
remember something like that, wouldn't you?" Tammy asked hopefully.

Suddenly their attention was diverted as the bullpen doors opened,
and Amanda King hurried in and crossed the bullpen. "Oh, there's
Mrs. King," one of the girls announced. The steno girls didn't fail
to notice Scarecrow's reaction to seeing her. "Look at that, it's
like he has radar that alerts him to her presence."

They all observed Scarecrow watching Mrs. King as she made her way
through the bustling bullpen towards him.

"I definitely think Mrs. King is more than just Scarecrow's partner
here at the Agency. I mean, look at the way they look at each other
when they think no one else is watching. I bet they are partners in
his bedroom too. And I heard she was just a housewife before she
came to the Agency…Can you believe that? Definitely NOT his type,"
Tobi confided.

Finally unable to stand hearing the gossip of the steno girls any
longer, Francine popped up from the cubicle adjacent to the water
cooler and said, "Ladies, I think we need to be getting back to work
now down in steno. I believe you have better things to do than
discussing Lee Stetson's love life."

Mortified that their conversation had been overheard by one of the
agency's best female agents, the steno girls quickly scattered
leaving Francine to consider what she had just overheard. She
watched Lee and Amanda from the same vantage point as the steno girls
had been for the past few minutes. The girls might just be on to
something here, she thought as she watched Amanda reach up and smooth
Lee's lapels. The steno girls had piqued Francine's curiosity, and
she vowed to herself that she would not rest until she found out the
truth one way or another as to whether Lee and Amanda were a couple.
This certainly wasn't the first time she had thought along these same
lines. On more than one occasion she had witnessed Lee and Amanda
acting strangely to say the least. And last week when Amanda had
been kidnapped by Birol, she had witnessed Lee's reaction to it
firsthand. It seemed to her, at the time, that his demeanor implied
that he cared about Amanda much more intensely than one would
normally care for their partner.

As Lee and Amanda turned to exit the bullpen, Francine looked on.
She noted that he guided her through the busy office by placing his
hand on the small of her back. She decided that it was definitely
worth looking in to further. Little did she know that, yesterday,
Lee had placed a large diamond engagement ring on Amanda's finger.

End