- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters from Scarecrow and Mrs. King are the property of Warner Brothers and Shoot the Moon Productions. I have borrowed the characters without the consent or knowledge of Warner Brothers or Shoot the Moon. This story, however, is copyrighted to the mentioned author. This story is for entertainment purposes ONLY. If you would like to add it to an archive, please just let me know.

Timeframe: Set after the series had ended. Mystery marriage is still a secret.

Author’s Note: This story was written because of a challenge line issued on an SMK website. The challenge line that had to be used was “What do you mean you saw her naked?” Thanks to Jan, my partner in crime, for betaing this for me.
Shower Surprises

Francine walked along the quiet upstairs hallway leading to the Q-Bureau muttering to herself. She didn’t like being Billy’s errand girl, especially when her inbox was already too full. She also wasn’t in the mood for any of the constant banter that went on between the residents of the Q. But, she was safe. It was seven-thirty in the morning, way too early for either of them to be in yet. Then again, since she had taken the back way up, she hadn’t had a chance to pass by Mrs. Marston to find out if either of them had checked in. No, she rationalized, since neither of them knew about this high priority case yet, chances were very good that neither of them were in yet.

Rounding the corner, Francine was shocked to see the Agency’s resident custodian standing outside the Bureau door. “Rag Mop what are…”

Rag Mop put his finger to his lips and then pointed towards the slightly ajar door.

Francine gave him a curious look. ‘I can’t go in there. It’s not empty.’ She watched the custodian mouth. She moved closer and stopped just outside the door, in order to hear the conversation going on inside. Whatever it was, it had to have been good for both of them to forget to make sure the door was securely closed.

“Amanda, the image will be forever burned into my memory. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to look your mother in the eye again.”

“I still can’t believe you walked in on Mother in the shower.” Francine could hear the laughter in the brunette’s voice.

“I thought it was you in the shower. How was I supposed to know that Phillip had clogged the drain in the other bathroom and that Dotty would be using yours?”

Francine couldn’t take it any longer, she didn’t bother knocking, she just opened the door. “What do you mean you saw her naked?” She sputtered. “Dotty West? Lee, I know you dated a few older women in your time but Dotty West?” She stared open mouthed as she took notice of the position the two were standing in. Lee had his arms wrapped around Amanda’s waist, both of them staring back at her, completely stunned, like a pair of children who’d just been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

“You both told me that you’d broken up.” Francine put her hand in the air as Lee dropped his arms from around Amanda’s waist and Amanda moved a few inches away and they both opened their mouths, simultaneously, to explain. “You know what I don’t want to hear it. You’re both adults.” She tossed a folder on Amanda’s desk and then turned to leave. “That’s from Billy. A priority one case.” She headed back out the door, turning briefly to nod towards the doorknob. “Next time make sure the door’s closed all the way.”

“And locked too.” Amanda muttered as she made her way over to shut the door. Reaching it, she stopped and stared at the man standing in the hallway.

“Look don’t worry about it, Amanda.” Lee said as he came up behind her, mistaking her hesitation for concern over what Francine was going to say. “At least we don’t have to walk on eggshells around her anymore.”

“No, but I don’t think our secret’s very secret anymore.” Amanda nodded towards the custodian. “Morning, Rag Mop.”

“Morn’n Mrs. K.” Rag Mop nodded and smiled. “Mr. S.”

“Um, Rag Mop. I’m not sure what you heard but…” Lee began, but stopped when the other man put up his hand.

“No need to worry Mr. S. These ears have heard quite a few secrets around the halls of the Agency over the years. They’re all tucked away up here.” Rag Mop tapped his head lightly. “And they have never been or will ever be spoken by these lips.” He put his hand on his mop and began pushing his bucket back down the hallway. “Your secret’s safe with me.”

“Don’t you want to clean in here?” Amanda called after him.

“Nah,” Rag Mop waved back. “I’ll come back later, when the room’s not occupied.” He winked and then made his way around the corner.

Amanda stepped back inside, closed the door firmly and then locked it. She leaned against the frame and bent her head down. “How could we have been so careless Lee?”

Lee moved closer and placing one hand around her waist, he lifted her chin with the finger of his other. “Maybe this was a sign. Maybe it’s someone’s way of telling us to end the secrecy.”

“I don’t think we have to worry about that.” Amanda brought her hand up and began drawing lazy circles on Lee’s chest. “Somehow I doubt that we haven’t heard the last of this from Francine, and someone’s bound to overhear at the wrong time…”

Lee leaned forward and captured her lips. “We’ll make sure we tell the truth to Francine first.” He said after the kiss ended.

“Maybe you’re right. Maybe it is time to come clean.” Amanda smiled as she wrapped her arms around her husband’s neck. “So tell me something. Is my mother that bad looking?”

“Amanda…” Lee stared at his wife. “She’s my mother-in-law.”

"Yes, but what I need to know is, will you still find me attractive
when I reach her age." Amanda began playing with the tendrils of hair
at the nape of his neck.

"Oh, you don't have anything to worry about." Lee's hands
followed the curve of her body as they came to rest behind her
back. "Especially if you take after the West side of the family."
And then, before she had a chance to respond, he captured his wife's
lips once more.

And now... to answer the question what happened when Dotty pulled
back the curtain....

"You thought my mother was good looking?" Amanda asked as
soon as the kiss had ended, a mischievous sparkle in her eyes.

"Well the way I look at it, now your Mother and I are even.
She's seen me, and now I've seen her." Lee smiled, giving her the
full dimpled effect.

"Hold on a second," Amanda leaned back, watching him
suspiciously. "I thought you said the memory was going to haunt you."

"No," Lee shook his head slightly. "What I said was the
memory was going to be burned into my memory forever."

"But the way you said it earlier, made it sound like seeing
my mother naked was a horrible thing." Amanda wiggled, loosening the
grip he had on her waist. "Wait a minute, does that mean you thought
she was attractive?"

Lee was doing his best to choose his words carefully at this
point. "Well I won't lie to you, especially since you were the one
who asked, and I told you truthfully that you have nothing to worry
about, looks wise anyway. But you're right, it was a horrible
thing." He tightened his grip on her waist once more, pulling her
closer. "While the view wasn't that bad, it was the sound she made
that I don't think I'll ever be able to forget. I never knew your
mother's voice could reach that high a pitch. Did I mention she
actually threw the bar of soap at me, all the while scolding me for
having the nerve to just walk in on someone in the shower, her voice
reaching octaves that would make any operatic diva jealous?"

Though Amanda had been doing her best to appear slightly
annoyed, after all he was attacking her Mother, she couldn't keep a
straight face, but did manage to keep from laughing. She had heard
the whole sordid story from her Mother that night when she'd gotten
home from a last minute PTA meeting. Lee had apparently been hoping
to surprise her by joining her in the shower. However, since he'd
been out in the field, he didn't know she wasn't home, and had
surprised her Mother instead. "Well, I guess that means you won't be
pulling anymore shower curtains open without asking who's in there
first."

"You can say that again." Lee smirked. "At least not in your
house. Kind of takes all the fun out of it. Though there's still
the shower at my apartment." His smirk turned into a devilish grin.

Amanda let her hands trail up his back and, as they came to
rest on the back of his neck, she whispered, "Maybe this will help
make the memory of yesterday's incident disappear." And she pulled
his head down, and placed a passionate kiss on his lips.

"It helps," Lee replied huskily against her lips, as the kiss
ended. "It definitely helps."

"Good." Amanda slid her hands down his chest and then pushed
him away. "Now, its time to get to work."

As his wife tried to break the embrace, Lee pulled her
closer. "But it hasn't gotten rid of the memory completely."

Amanda smiled and shook her head. "If you're a good boy all
day, I promise to reward you tonight," she trailed her finger along
his cheekbone, "all night."

"All night?" Lee's face lit up like a kid in a candy store.

Amanda nodded. "I had a feeling that you were going to need a
little tender loving after yesterday so I told Mother we'd be working
in the editing room all night."

Lee abruptly let go of his wife and, practically jumping over
to her desk, picked up the file Francine had deposited a few minutes
earlier. "Well what are we waiting for? Let's get this case finished
and get home."

Amanda shook her head and went over to join her husband. She
hoped for both their sakes, the case was an open and shut one.

The End