- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters from Scarecrow and Mrs. King are the property of Warner Brothers and Shoot the Moon Productions. I have borrowed the characters without the consent or knowledge of Warner Brothers or Shoot the Moon. This story, however, is copyrighted to the mentioned author. This story is for entertainment purposes ONLY. If you would like to add it to an archive, please just let me know.

Timeframe: This story takes place between Three Little Spies and All the World’s A Stage, so roughly around mid April 1986. It is also a little continuation of The Yank and Brit's story "Software on a Sesame Seed Bun."

Author's Notes: This story was written in response to a challenge where at least two of the following had to be used: Randy's; St. Patrick's Day; Hostage Situation; Scavenger Hunt.
To a Job Well Done

Picking up her wineglass, Amanda looked over at her date. “Tell me again how we ended up getting this free dinner at Randy’s on the Agency?”

Lee smiled as he watched her bring the glass to her lips and take a sip. “Well, it was really your free meal. I just kind of horned in on it.”

Amanda put her glass back down and eyed Lee suspiciously. “Wait, I thought you said Mr. Melrose was rewarding you for a successful end to the hostage situation at Marvelous Marvin’s.”

Looking a bit sheepish, Lee picked up his fork and began pushing the green beans around on his plate. “Well...”

“Lee Stetson.” Amanda stared at her partner, and date, with the same look she gave her sons when she needed to extract the truth. “You better tell me the truth, now.”

Suddenly feeling like he was facing down the Colonel, Lee tugged on the collar of his shirt. “Well, you see…” When Amanda didn’t seem to be letting up with the inquisitive stare, he took a deep breath. “Okay, the truth is that Billy was so impressed with how you managed to disarm the whole hostage situation without anyone getting hurt, that he told me to tell you that you deserved a nice dinner, on the Agency, and that the best place he knew of was Randy’s. He loves their steaks. In fact, he eats here every Friday night.”

“Okay, so why didn’t you just tell me that instead of using subterfuge?” Amanda’s expression didn’t waiver in the least, as she started tapping her fingers expectantly on the tabletop.

Unable to look directly at Amanda, Lee lowered his gaze back to his plate. “Because I didn’t want you to invite someone else. Not your mother, not your nosey neighbor…”

“Buck! You thought I’d ask Buck?” Amanda’s expression softened and she reached over and placed her hand over Lee’s. “Lee, I know that we’ve only just started seeing each other socially outside of the office, and I think it’s very sweet that you wanted to make sure I enjoyed this free meal with you…but if we’re going to give ourselves a chance at any kind of relationship, even a real partnership, you have to trust me to make my own decisions.”

“I know.” Still not meeting Amanda’s gaze, Lee turned his hand over and wrapped his fingers around hers, gently rubbing her hand with his thumb. “What can I say except that it seemed like a good idea at the time.” Shrugging his shoulders slightly, he glanced up and saw the tender expression on her face. “The truth is that I didn’t want to miss the chance to take you out on another date, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. Besides, I figured, if anyone saw us together, and asked why we were here, it would make more sense for me to have asked you, to congratulate you on the great job you did, than for you to have to explain why you asked me.”

“But wait,” Amanda shook her head slightly, “if Mr. Melrose told you this dinner was a thank you to me, who’s to say he didn’t tell someone else.” Her expression turned speculative, “Someone like, say, Francine.”

Lee’s lips curled up in a small grin. “He told me not to tell anyone. He didn’t want it getting around that he was offering up free dinners on the Agency for jobs well done.”

“Well I can see his point.” Amanda chuckled. “Oh, and by the way, you’ve been hanging around me too long…you ramble almost as well as me.”

“You know you’re not the first person to tell me that.” Lee grinned back. “And to be honest, I don't mind in the slightest.”

“Mr. Melrose was really that impressed with me?” Amanda asked, feeling just a little self-conscious. “I mean I know you said that Francine was complimenting me, not to my face, but to others, but I mean, while no one got hurt, the restaurant did end up looking like a war zone.”

Lee smiled as he nodded. “True, there was a mess to clean up. But the simple fact is, that like so many operations that you end up in the middle of, the criminals were apprehended, and there was no bloodshed.” When he saw her lower her gaze, as if looking at the leg that was shot by one of the Tippesh brothers, he quickly amended, “at least not inside the restaurant.”

Without letting go of Lee’s hand, as she was enjoying the feeling of warmth that was running through her at his touch, Amanda raised her glass with her free hand. “Well then, I think a toast is in order.”

“I couldn't agree more.” Lee winked and picked up his own glass. “To a great partnership.”

“And to a job well done.” Amanda added as she reached across the table, ready to clink her glass to Lee’s.

Lee touched his glass to hers, and silently thought, as he brought his glass to his lips, ‘and to many more dates with my beautiful partner and a future not yet explored.’

The End