- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
You all have been such an inspiration, I just had to try my hand at yet one more story. Hope you enjoy.

Disclaimer - the usual blah, blah, blah. Rating G
Lee Stetson paced back and forth as much as the confines of the room would allow. He was nervous but more than that, he was anxious. It had been a long, drawn-out 36 hours and now that things were about to conclude, he was sequestered in this little room. It seemed like an eternity since he had been ushered into this place and he wanted more than anything to get back to his Amanda. She needed him, he was sure but they wouldn't allow him to see her.

Complications, they had said. That did not bode well for her. What complications and what was happening and why wasn't he able to see her, be with her, touch her? How cruel could they be? This was just another reason he hated hospitals. They were places where
loved ones were isolated from those that needed them the most. Ugh, another fifteen minutes had passed. If only he could get out and see what was happening. Maybe he could help. He assured them he wouldn't get in their way but the doctors were adamant. He was to leave immediately.

He was about to go insane. How long could this take, especially with all she had already endured? His mind flashed back to an inane statement he had once flippantly made about the stamina of the average housewife. Having seen Amanda in action he was now more
convinced than ever that he and every other male had indeed underestimated the stamina of the average woman – housewife or not.

"Mr. Steston?" a voice called but he didn't hear it at first. A little louder this time – "Mr. Stetson, please follow me."

He had a million questions on his mind but his throat constricted and he couldn't seem to verbalized them. Down the long corridor, turning right and then left and then left again, it seemed like he was in a maze.

"Nurse?"

Without giving him a look, she merely stated, "Hang on, we're almost there." With one more turn to the right she quietly announced, "We're here!"

Lee was confused. He had expected to be led to Amanda's room but that wasn't where he ended up. "I don't understand…I..uh. How's my wife? Where are we going?" He was finally able to voice his concerns.

"Now don't you fret. She's doing fine. You'll be able to see her in no time," she happily stated, "Now just follow me…it's like this for everyone the first time."

"Like what," he asked, but she merely nodded for him to look in the direction her head was inclined.

As he looked in the window, it took him a moment to realize what he was seeing. There before him wrapped in a pink blanket was a small bundle of joy wearing a tiny bracelet that said STETSON. He was mesmerized!

"Welcome to fatherhood," the nurse said as she patted him on the back.

The end