- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks: Rita and Miss Edna, you make my stories readable by catching all my grammar and other errors.
The Twelve Nights of Christmas

December 12, 1987

Lee stoked the fire, gazing into the flames as a few sparks shot up the chimney. What was his family up to? They’d been planning something for the last two weeks, but since it was Christmastime, he knew better than to try to wheedle information out of anyone. After dinner tonight, he’d been ordered to sit in the den and wait for them.

Dotty swept into the room, carrying a bowl of popcorn. As he caught a whiff of the buttery aroma, his mouth watered. This meant only one thing. Dotty always made plenty of hot, buttered popcorn for movie night. So their game plan included some time in front of the television. But knowing his family, he was sure it wasn’t the only thing they had in store for him.

“Ready for your first surprise?” Dotty set the bowl down on the coffee table.

“F-f-first,” he stuttered, as he settled onto the couch. What in the world had they planned?

“Oops! I should know better than to say anything before the rest are here.” She sat down in a chair next to the sofa.

“Mother, what did you say?” Amanda strolled into the den, bearing a tray of mugs filled with steaming cocoa.

“Nothing. Did you remember the marshmallows?”

“Of course.” She handed a mug to Dotty and one to Lee.

Dotty blew on the hot chocolate before taking a sip. “Me and my big mouth,” she mumbled.

He opened his mouth to speak, but before he could get a word out, the boys bounded into the room, carrying bags of potato chips.

“Do we really have to stay and watch, Mom? I wanted to call Tiffany,” Phillip whined, as he plopped down onto the floor and ripped open a bag of chips.

“Yeah, and I was reading a good book and wanted to finish it,” Jamie added, scooping up a handful of popcorn.

Amanda stood in front of the fireplace, with her hands on her hips. “Now you two helped us plan this, and you both knew that two hours every night would be devoted to family time.” She shook her finger at Phillip. “Next time, call Tiffany earlier.” Then she gave Jamie a stern look. “You’ll have plenty of time to finish your book later, if you’ve done your homework.”

“Okay.” Jamie flopped down next to his brother.

“Yeah, Mom.” Phillip stuffed another chip into his mouth.

Lee had been patient long enough. For the last two weeks, every time he walked into a room, the conversation had ceased. “Is someone going to tell me what’s going on?”

Amanda sat down on the couch next to him and placed her hand on his arm. “Do you remember when you said at Thanksgiving that you’d never watched any holiday movies?”

“Yes.”

“I was flabbergasted, Lee.” Dotty waved her hand in the air. “I couldn’t believe someone hadn’t watched any of the classic movies.” She set her mug down on the coffee table. “You can blame me. I came up with the idea.”

A light went on over Lee’s head. Ah, now he understood. They were going to watch a Christmas movie tonight. “What are we going to watch?” He remembered Amanda’s earlier words to the boys and clasped her hand. “And what did you mean by two hours every night? How many nights?”

Amanda rose from the couch and stood in front of him. “‘The Twelve Nights of Christmas’ begins tonight. A movie a night.”

“Yeah, we each got to pick our favorite,” Phillip said.

“Yup, you’re gonna love the one I picked.” Jamie tossed a kernel in the air and caught it in his mouth.

Lee took his mother-in-law’s hand in his and brought it to his lips. “I never had anyone care enough to show me what I’ve been missing.”

Dotty blushed. “Stop that. You’re family now, and we’ll make up for anything you missed out on.”

He leaned back on the couch. “What’s tonight’s movie?”

Amanda crossed to the VCR and turned it on. “‘Miracle on Thirty-Fourth Street.’ My favorite. I hope you like it.” When she sat down next to him, he slipped his arm around her shoulders, and they snuggled as the opening credits rolled across the screen.

A little over an hour and half later, the movie ended. Lee knew now why it was Amanda’s favorite. The little girl, Susan Walker, learned to stop being a grown up and enjoy childhood, with all its wide-eyed wonder. Now he would do it in reverse--learn to be a child, even though he was an adult. To look at the world through the eyes of child and marvel at the season. He kissed his wife lightly on the lips. “Thank you.”

“My pleasure.”

December 13, 1987

When the family gathered around the TV the second night, Lee wondered whose turn it would be this time.

He didn’t have long to wait before Dotty announced, “It’s my turn, and I chose ‘It’s A Wonderful Life.’”

A little over two hours later, Dotty turned off the TV and wiped her eyes. “I always love the ending.” A tinkling sound came from the Christmas tree. “Look, a bell is ringing; an angel got his wings.” She sighed.

Odd. When the bell rang, nobody was near the tree. Lee shook his head and stopped trying to figure it out. Maybe an angel had gotten its wings a moment ago. The story had been cute, but he never wanted to play the what-if game. No matter what happened in the future, there would never be a day when he wished that he hadn’t met Amanda or fallen in love with her. He couldn’t imagine what life would be like without her, and he didn’t want to fathom the idea.

He kissed Dotty on the cheek. “Thank you for sharing this with me.”

“I knew you’d like it.”

December 14, 1987

On the third night, Phillip ran into the room, out of breath. “Sorry, I was talking to Tiffany.” He slid a tape into the VCR. “No romantic stuff tonight, Lee. We’re gonna laugh and have fun.”

Lee was all for a non-sentimental movie. The last two nights had been thought provoking, and he could use a dose of comedy.

An hour and a half later, he couldn’t stop laughing. “Christmas Vacation” had been hysterical. From the moment the relatives descended upon Clark and his family, to the squirrel in the Christmas tree, to Clark causing a major power outage when his Christmas lights finally worked, the movie had run at a hilarious pace.

“Excellent choice.” He high-fived Phillip.

“Told ya, didn’t I?”

“You sure did.” Lee laughed.

December 15, 1987

As he waited for the evening’s entertainment to begin, Lee figured the fourth night would be Jamie’s turn.

When Jamie bounded into the room, he made a beeline to the VCR and inserted a tape. “Another fun one tonight, Lee.” He sprawled on the floor and grabbed a handful of popcorn.

Lee snuggled with Amanda on the couch as the movie began. When it was over, he had to admit “A Christmas Story” was a marvelous show. Dotty reminisced with sentimental stories of a time long past--when listening to the radio had been their entertainment, your tongue really stuck to frozen metal, and being bundled up in a snowsuit, scarf, mittens, and boots made walking hazardous to your heath.

But most of all, the running line of “you’ll shoot your eye out,” used by the characters to dissuade young Ralphie from his quest of owning a Red Ryder BB Rifle, had awakened a long forgotten memory. He couldn’t have been more than four years old. When he asked for a BB gun for his birthday, his mother had said the same thing to him.

December 16, 1987

The fifth night Lee assumed that Amanda would make another choice. When the doorbell rang and she went to answer it, he was amazed when she returned with Billy and Jeannie.

“It’s our turn tonight, Stetson. We’ve brought our favorite movie.”

“‘White Christmas,’” Jeannie said, as she accepted a mug of hot chocolate from Dotty.

When he found out the film was a musical, Lee almost gagged. They weren’t his favorite kind. But he found himself involved in the story, as Bing Crosby fell in love with Rosemary Clooney and helped save a country inn in financial straits.

As the Melroses left, Lee wondered who else Amanda had recruited to broaden his holiday entertainment.

December 17, 1987

Shortly after dinner on the sixth evening, the doorbell rang, and Dotty ushered Francine into the den. At first, Lee thought she was there on Agency business. Then she pulled a videotape from her purse.

“You didn’t think I’d miss the premier event of the suburban social season, did you?” Smiling, she dropped into a chair, and Amanda handed her a cup of cocoa.

Lee chuckled. “Francine, I’m very touched that you’ve honored us with your presence.” He winked at her.

It seemed “The Bishop’s Wife” was a remake of “It’s Wonderful Life.” But some of Cary Grant’s antics, as the impish angel Dudley, had Lee laughing out loud, especially when the snowballs hit their mark.

Dotty spent the entire time fanning herself and mumbling that Cary Grant was one fine specimen of a man and her all-time favorite actor.

December 18, 1987

On the seventh night, Lee relaxed on the couch, reading the paper. He had no idea who would be coming by, so when the doorbell rang, he was pleasantly surprised when Phillip ushered Leatherneck into the den.

“Here ya go.” The Agency’s Jack-of-all-trades set a six-pack of beer on the table. “I figured you could use this, since you’ve been watching all those holiday movies, and you’ve still got several more nights ahead of you.”

“Thanks.” Lee popped a can and took a swig. “So what did you bring? I mean besides the beer?”

“The best Christmas movie ever made.” He held up the box. “‘A Charlie Brown Christmas.’”

When it was over, Lee realized why Amanda had bought the skinny little tree for the Q-Bureau. Even something that looked like nobody would want it could be beautiful. The spirit of Christmas, to show you the light, and a little boy carrying a blanket, to explain the true meaning of the day, was all that was needed.

December 19, 1987

The doorbell chimed on the eighth night, announcing the arrival of their next visitor. When Harry Thornton entered, Lee wasn’t surprised. He figured his old mentor would be one of the people Amanda had enlisted in her holiday conspiracy.

Harry greeted him with a pat on the back. “Well, well, my boy, you didn’t think I wouldn’t be participating in this scheme, now did you?” He chuckled as he sat down.

Lee grinned. “I was sure you would. I just didn’t know when.”

“Where’s that marvelous cocoa with marshmallows I’ve heard so much about?” Harry’s deep voice bellowed.

“Right here.” Dotty handed him a mug.

“Now I can enjoy the show.” He took a sip and licked his lips.

After watching “A Christmas Carol,” Lee wished the ghosts of Christmas present, past, and future would visit the Scrooge of the Agency. Nah. He much preferred to think of Smyth as the classic miser. It suited him to a tee.

December 20, 1987

All during dinner, Lee wondered who would be joining them on the ninth night. Settling down onto the couch, he waited for the familiar ring of the doorbell. He groaned when Augie tramped into the den, shaking snow from his coat.

“I made it, even though I almost crashed on my way here.”

“Stop.” Lee held up his hand. “We both know it’s not that bad outside.”

“Hey, can’t blame a guy for trying to get some sympathy from the ladies of the house.” Augie lowered his voice. “I was hoping for a hot meal.”

“Too late.” Amanda entered the den. “But we do have popcorn.”

Augie thumped down in a chair. “I’ll take what I can get.” He picked up the bowl she had placed on the coffee table. “Where’s everyone else’s popcorn?”

Amanda sighed. “I’ll be back with more.”

Lee wouldn’t classify “Santa Clause Conquers the Martians” as time-honored holiday fare. Though it was a perfect choice for Augie. It was campy and kooky, just like Augie. Several times, he had to shake his head to stay awake. The movie really was that bad. He’d never before been so happy to see the closing credits, or to escort a guest from his home.

December 21, 1987

On the tenth night, he waited and waited for the doorbell to ring. Nothing. He lounged on the couch, peeking over his newspaper whenever anyone entered the room. Since no friends arrived, maybe one of his family intended to pick another favorite film. Finally, Amanda sauntered in and sat down next to him.

“Tonight’s movie is courtesy of Dr. Smyth.”

Lee was shocked. Smyth! He wasn’t a friend. How the hell had he learned of Amanda’s plan?

“Before you say it, I didn’t tell him. He found out when he overheard Billy and me talking. Friday afternoon, he stopped me in the hall and gave me a tape, saying it was his contribution to the education of the Scarecrow.”

“Do we really have to watch it?”

“It won’t hurt, and it is a Christmas movie.”

He folded the paper and leaned back, crossing his arms. “If I must.”

The rest of the family meandered into the den and settled down to watch. He should’ve known the Agency Scrooge would pick one titled “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” Smyth could be a mean one, and Lee pictured him as the Grinch every time the fiend came on the screen and stole presents. Even though the Grinch was green, it didn’t take away from the resemblance one bit.

Lee was truly grateful that Smyth didn’t come with the movie. For that, he thanked his lucky stars.

December 22, 1987

Lee didn’t have a clue who would show up at his door on the eleventh night. Then he heard the doorbell chime, and T.P. shuffled into the den.

“Have I missed the evening’s entertainment? Why, no, I couldn’t have, since I brought it with me.”

“I thought you were at the Medieval Knights Christmas traditions symposium.”

“I was, my dear boy, but I left early to partake of this auspicious occasion. Here’s my contribution to augment your repertoire of Yuletide cinematography. A charming little piece of holiday magic entitled “Gremlins.”

Gizmo was a cute little furry animal, and those gremlins were mean little monsters. Lee found himself cheering for Gizmo to win against Stripe and his gang. Though it wasn’t something he’d thought T.P. would choose; he pictured his friend as more the sentimental, old time black-and-white classic type, who preferred films like the ones Dotty and Amanda had selected last week.

December 23, 1987

On the twelfth evening, Lee paced the floor in the den.

“Ready for your last movie night?” Amanda placed a tray laden with mugs of steaming hot chocolate on the coffee table.

Lee stretched before sitting down. “Yup. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed them. It’s just a little overwhelming. What are we watching tonight?”

She settled next to him and handed him a letter. “Read this and you’ll find out.”

He opened the envelope and pulled out an elegant sheet of stationery.

Dearest Lee,

When Amanda told me her plans, I wanted to be part of them. Even though I can’t be there in person, I decided this would be the next best thing. When I was a little girl, I spent many happy winters in Connecticut, visiting relatives, and something about “Christmas in Connecticut” brings back all those wonderful memories. I hope it gives you the same feeling it gives me.

With love,
Emily

Emily had been right. The movie was a simple, old-fashioned story filled with cheerful and warm, cozy feelings. Of course, being a romantic comedy didn’t hurt, either.

Lee rose and turned off the VCR and TV, then turned to his family as they gathered around him. “I want to thank you all for making the last twelve days an experience I wouldn’t have missed for the world. To watch your favorites and see them through your eyes has opened mine to the wonders of Christmas.”

The whole family group hugged him until he thought he would tip over. Then Phillip and Jamie went upstairs to wrap last minute presents.

“Merry Christmas, sweetheart.” Amanda kissed him lightly.

Dotty kissed him on the cheek. “Wait till next year, when we do it again.”

Lee gulped. How many more could there be? He made a note to think of something to distract them next Christmas. Twelve days of Christmas movies had been fun, but he didn’t want it to become a holiday tradition.

The End