- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks: Amy for the quick beta and catching my grammar mistakes.
Sudden Kiss

Lee crept down the hall and peered around the corner. In a flash he pulled back when he saw the door opening. He rubbed his neck again. He didn’t know if it was still stiff from training practice or tension because he’d been saddled with Amanda as his contact. He wished Billy would stop finding ways of throwing them together, giving Amanda the impression that she was his partner. Instead she should be helping him by doing his typing, and only his typing.

He peeked around the corner again and saw that the coast was clear to search Crandall’s office. As he went down the steps his knee gave him a twinge of pain. Honestly, he didn’t think he was that out of shape; he went to the gym and worked out religiously. And it wasn’t like he’d never played football before. He’d lost track of how many teams he’d played on during his high school and college days. Having been kicked out of quite a few schools in his day, he’d experienced different training techniques from a lot of different coaches, so why was his body protesting so much.

Rubbing his neck again he inwardly groaned. It had to be stress; after all, he should be enjoying himself. Most of his fellow agents had said they were jealous, this was a primo assignment. He was pretty sure they all figured that he’d been chosen for this one because he was an ex-jock and that he was probably having a ball being back in the thick of things on a football field.

He was.

Kind of.

The training practices were murder. But he was determined to keep up, no matter what the consequences. Or how many aches and pains troubled him.

The cheerleaders were what spurred him on. Watching them gave him inspiration. They were athletic and limber as they shook their pompoms and strutted around the edge of the field. He wouldn’t mind getting to know a couple of them better. In fact, several of them had been giving him the eye ever since he’d first walked out onto the field. Some had even suggestively asked him to freshen their pompoms for them. He wouldn’t mind doing a little freshening with them, of a different kind. Get your mind back to work Scarecrow, he chided himself.

A quick pick of the lock and search of the desk rewarded him with something to send back to the Agency. He then made his way to the rendezvous point and unlatched the window. He whispered into the darkness, “Are you out there?”

Amanda popped up from below the window startling him a tad. Turnabouts were fair play he guessed since he’d popped up at her kitchen window quite a few times in the recent past.

He’d just given her the film to take back to Billy when he hard the coach yelling his name. It would be only a matter of moments before he was caught breaking curfew. He had to think of something that would distract the coach from what he’d really been up to that night. The idea came to him instantly.

He leaned out the window and placed his left hand on the back of Amanda’s head drawing her to him. His lips descended to hers in a kiss. It started out innocent but her moans of astonishment spurred him on. He kissed her hard and deep, sliding his tongue between her surprised lips.

Their lips parted and he backed up winking at her. Her wide-eyed expression told him she was shocked by what had just transpired between them.

After she left, he quickly made his way back to his room. Thoughts of what had just occurred filled his mind.

What awed him the most was the fact that he’d actually enjoyed the kiss. And he thought, well he was pretty sure, she had enjoyed it as much as he had. Especially since she’d returned the kiss with equal enthusiasm.

Wait a minute, what was he thinking. He hadn’t enjoyed it. It had simply been a way of protecting their covers. That’s all. No way would he, the great Scarecrow, the lover of many, want to be saddled into a relationship with a suburban housewife. Okay, so technically she was single, divorced in fact, and not all that unattractive. She did have a boyfriend though. That Dan, Don, Dave character. Then again, boyfriends hadn’t stopped him in the past.

The white picket fence, children and mortgage, however, put a screeching halt to that line of thinking. It wasn’t his style. That’s the road that he’d be traveling if he didn’t stop himself now. Amanda wasn’t the type of woman who would settle for a few quick romps in bed. He was the love ’em and leave ’em type. She was the forever type of woman.

Besides Amanda King annoyed him to no end. Her rambles were the worst. More than half the time he couldn’t follow what she said. She never seemed to need to take a breath when she was into one of those rambles, either. And everything was ‘Oh My Gosh’ this or ‘Oh My Gosh’ that. Never a cuss word passed her lips. Well she did say damn to him once, but that was the worst word he’d ever heard her say.

In the long run he guessed the lack of cursing wasn’t so bad after working with some guys who swore all the time. It was actually a little refreshing. He smacked his forehead as he paced his room. What the hell are you thinking Scarecrow?

He just needed to wipe the memory from his mind of her lips on his. The way they molded to his. The heat of her mouth.

There he went again.

He ran his hand through his hair as he sat down on the bed. He needed a distraction. And he knew exactly what distraction he needed. Tomorrow at practice he’d make sure to get Candi’s or Cindi’s, oh hell whatever her name was, it didn’t really matter, he’d get the blonde’s phone number and set up a date. A night with her would make all thoughts of Amanda King leave his mind. Thoughts of freshening Candi’s pompoms as she cheered for him in her skimpy outfit lulled him to sleep.

And now, back to our regular program . . .

The End