- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Author’s Note: I wrote the answer to the challenge line in Dotty’s point of view. Because she doesn’t go to the ball, I switched that part of the story to Amanda’s point of view. I hope this doesn’t confuse anyone.

Thanks again to my wonderful beta, Miss Edna, and her faithful typist, Rita. As usual, they did a bang-up job. Any mistakes belong to me alone. And a special thanks to Ana, who brainstormed with me over every detail. I just had to give her credit as co-author.

++++SMK++++

Dotty stood staring out the living room window. She'd been waiting for the mailman to deliver the latest catalog from Rebecca's Fantasies for the past week. If she wanted to get something new for her trip with Kurt, it had to arrive today.

She spotted her quarry just leaving Edna's home. Grabbing her coat, she yelled up stairs, "Amanda, I'm going to get the mail," and dashed down the sidewalk to meet the letter carrier at the front gate.

She tucked the envelopes under her arm and thumbed through the lingerie magazine, mentally picking out a few interesting items.

After placing her order over the phone, Dotty looked at the rest of the mail. Nothing remarkable, just a few bills. Then she came across a cream-colored envelope, with some fancy scrolled writing on it, addressed to Amanda. Curious, she held it up to the light to try and see what was inside. No such luck. The paper quality was too good. There was only one way she would know what was inside.

"Amanda, you have mail," she called.

Her daughter came down the stairs and headed to the kitchen.

"Here." Dotty handed her the envelope and stood over Amanda's shoulder as she opened the missive.

Lady Emily Farnsworth

Requests the Honor of Your Presence

At The Annual Christmas Ball

On Saturday, the twenty-second of December

Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Six

Eight O'clock in the Evening

British Embassy, Washington, D. C.

"Oh, Amanda, that sounds wonderful. I wonder if Mr. Stetson got an invitation. Oh, I'm sure he did. What are you wearing? I think you should were something spectacular. Maybe that little black dress. Oh, no, it's a ball; you'll need to wear a gown. I wonder if Prince Charles and Princess Diana will be there. Oh, this is so exciting. Come on, Amanda, let's go shopping. We need to find something to knock the socks off Mr. Stetson."

"Mother!"

"I know, Amanda, he's just your boss." Dotty rolled her eyes in disbelief. "Go and get your coat and let's find you a gown."

Saturday, December 22, 1986

Amanda stood before the mirror and smoothed the front of her dress. The burgundy velvet hugged her curves and showed off her peaches-and-cream complexion to perfection.

She wore her hair up, with just a few tendrils framing her face, allowing her to show off her dress. Her fingers traced the rhinestone-trimmed neckline. Mother was right; this gown was going to blow the socks off Lee Stetson.

She turned and peered over her shoulder. The rhinestones continued from the neck to trail down the low-cut back. The gown was alluring--sexy, even--without being slutty.

As she slipped on the matching shoes, someone knocked on her bedroom door. “Come in.”

“Mom, Lee’s here. Wow, you look fantastic.” Jamie gave her the thumbs-up sign.

“Thank you, sweetheart. Will you tell him I’ll be down in a moment?”

“Sure.”

After a final check of her hair and make-up, she freshened her lipstick and dropped the tube in her evening bag. Satisfied with her appearance, she picked up her purse and left the bedroom.

She stood at the top of the stairs for a moment and just looked at Lee. He looked so handsome and sexy in his tuxedo he stole her breath.

After taking a few deep breaths to calm her nerves, she descended the stairs. “Hi, Lee, I’m sorry to keep you waiting.”

He looked up at her and opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. He swallowed and tried again. “Amanda, you look incredible. I’m going to be the envy of every man tonight.” He held out his hand to assist her down the last few steps.

“Thank you, Lee. You look handsome.” His fingers felt warm in her hand. He tightened his grip and brought her hand to his lips for a soft kiss, while never taking his eyes off her. She could feel a blush heating her face.

Mother’s voice broke the intimate moment.  “Hey, you two, if you don’t get going, you’re going to be late.”

“Your mother’s right. We really should be going.”

“Fellas, we’re leaving. Mind your grandmother, and I’ll see you in the morning.”

“We will, Mom. Have fun.”

“Bye, Mother.”

“Bye, dears”

Her black velvet shawl, with a burgundy silk lining, lay on the couch. Lee picked it up and draped it across her shoulders. He tucked her hand under his elbow and escorted her to the waiting limousine.

“Oh, Lee, it’s gorgeous.”

“Not as gorgeous as my date. Come on, Cinderella, let’s go to the ball.”

They rode to the embassy in companionable silence. She really did feel like Cinderella, with Lee as her Prince Charming. And tonight she would be able to spend the night in the arms of her fiancé and not worry who saw them.

She and Lee were the only people from the Agency to be invited, and, as far as she knew, no one there would know they were anything other than friends of Emily.

When they pulled up to the curb, a liveried footman opened the door for them. Another held the front door to the embassy open.

After Lee checked her wrap and his overcoat, they stood in the receiving line, waiting their turn to be announced. She shivered in the cool foyer, and Lee tucked her closer to his side.

Their turn came, and, after going through a security checkpoint, they were announced and presented to their hostess, as well as the British Ambassador and his wife. It was good to see Emily again, and she promised to visit with them once the formalities were over.

Lee escorted her into the ballroom. They stopped in the entryway.  “Oh, wow,” she gasped. A towering ten-foot pine tree, adorned with twinkling white lights, red bows, and a giant gold star on top, greeted them.

A passing waiter came over to them, and Lee selected two glasses of champagne from his tray. “A toast.” He raised his glass. “To the most beautiful woman in the world. I love you, Amanda.” Gently, he clinked his glass to hers.

“I love you, too, sweetheart.” She took a sip of the wine, then slipped her arm through his, and they entered the ballroom.

Off to one side, several tables were arranged under sparkling crystal chandeliers. They reminded her of the chandeliers in the ballroom of that hotel where they’d cornered Steven Salee.

On the opposite side of the room, an eight-piece orchestra played the “Nutcracker Suite.” She loved that ballet and longed to dance with Lee. But protocol dictated that they couldn’t dance until the host and hostess shared the first dance, opening the celebration. She hoped it wouldn’t be too long before that happened.

They wandered around the room and located their seats for dinner. Each place setting had a gold under plate with a fine bone-china plate resting on top. Discreetly, she lifted the dish; the familiar Royal Daulton logo was stamped on the bottom. She bet the glasses were Waterford Crystal. She’d have to remember to tell her mother all about it in the morning.

A square box, wrapped with silver foil paper and decorated with red and green metallic ribbons and bows, sat at the head of each woman’s place setting. What was in the box? Oh, well, she’d just have to wait until she got home to find out.

When the music ended, the conductor called for everyone’s attention. Lady Emily Farnsworth stood at the podium. “I would like to thank you all for coming tonight. It is an honor to share this special holiday with friends. I hope all of you have a wonderful time.”

Emily backed away, and a distinguished man--whose name Amanda couldn’t recall--helped her down the step and led her to the dance floor. The musicians began to play the “Christmas Waltz,” and the gentleman swept Emily into his arms and waltzed her around the dance floor.

After their first pass around the room, they paused and invited the guests to join them. Finally, Amanda could dance with Lee.

He took her in his arms and flawlessly led her in the waltz. The room sped by in a blur as he spun her around in time to the music. Diamonds glittered and winked, and silk rustled, as the other guests followed suit. The waltz ended, and the music flowed into another song. This one had a slower tempo, so Lee pulled her closer and wrapped his arm more securely around her waist.

She rested her head on his shoulder and wound her fingers in his hair. He smelled wonderful. His cologne made her think of moonlight walks and long, seductive kisses.

Lee sang to her. His warm breath tickled her ear, sending shivers down her body. She snuggled closer and kissed his neck. At this moment, she wished she were alone with him and not in a room with one-hundred-fifty people.

As one song blended into the next, he kept his arms tightly around her, never missing one dance. She didn't mind though. She loved being held by her sexy partner.

When the music stopped and the maître de announced that dinner was served, they reluctantly pulled apart. Lee led her to their table and held her chair while she sat.

Dozens of white-gloved waiters placed appetizers of steaming truffles and scallops in a white wine sauce in front of each guest. She didn’t really care for mushrooms of any kind, but Lee loved them and really enjoyed his portion.

The plates were cleared away, and a new setting was placed in front of them before the main course was served. When the waiter set her plate down, she exchanged an intimate smile with Lee. If there was such a thing as “their” meal, this was it.

“Beef Wellington. I wonder if Emily knows how much you enjoy it,” she whispered.

“Of course she knows, but I don’t think that had any impact on her choice. Beef Wellington is a traditional dish in England.”

Twice-baked potatoes and steamed asparagus, with slivered almonds, completed the main course. The service was world-class, and she couldn’t recall when she’d enjoyed a meal more.

For dessert, a chocolate, tree-shaped shell filled with peppermint mousse was served. Once all the guests received their dessert, the wait staff placed a Christmas cracker between each couple.

Emily stood at the podium again. “May I have your attention, please?”

Dinner conversation halted, and all eyes turned to Emily. “Most of you are familiar with the tradition of the Christmas cracker, but for those of you who aren’t, I’d like to give a brief explanation.

The cracker is similar to the wishbone custom here in America. Each person will pull one end of the cracker. The person who has the largest half gets to keep what is inside.  Typically, the contents are a colored paper hat or crown, a small toy or other trinket, and a motto, a joke, or piece of trivia on a small strip of paper.

This year we have decided on a different twist. The crackers will contain either a paper crown or a ring. If your cracker contains the ring, the ladies will wear it. However, if there is a crown, well then, the gentlemen will don it.

Okay, everyone pick up your cracker and on the count of three, pull the inner ribbon.

One.

Two.

Three.”

Several pops could be heard as party guests began opening their crackers. Lee picked up the one that sat between them and offered one end to her.

“You know, I vaguely remember sharing one of these with my mother,” he whispered.

Tears pricked her eyes. Lee seldom recalled anything from his days with his parents. She swallowed passed the lump in her throat and caressed his cheek. “Then we’re going to make this our very own Christmas tradition.”

He gave her a quick kiss and winked. “Ready? Pull.”

A small pop sounded, followed by a puff of smoke. The smell reminded her of the cap gun the boys used to have. Confetti rained down, landing on the table and their laps. A few pieces of hard candy, a slip of paper, and a green paper crown plopped onto the table.

A giggle escaped her. Lee looked horrified. Though when she looked around the room, many gentlemen were wearing crowns. They looked silly, but all were smiling and enjoying the chance to relive their childhood.

When she turned back to Lee, he just shook his head.  She’d have to do some convincing to get him to wear the crown.  “Come on, Lee. It’ll be fun.”

“Not a chance.”

“Everyone else is wearing their crown.”

“Then no one would notice if I don’t wear it.”

“I’ll notice, and so will Emily. You know she’s going to want to see what we’ve won.”

“So we’ll show her. There is no way in hell I’m going to wear a paper crown on my head.”

Okay, this called for drastic measures. Giving him the saddest look she could muster, she shyly ducked her head and pleaded, “Please, Lee, for me. I promise to make it worth your while.” She lifted her head and winked.

He gave her that look; the one that said he’d do anything she asked. “I’m going to hold you to that.” He unfolded the paper crown, and slowly placed it on his head.

“See, that wasn’t so bad. Come on, Prince Charming, dance with me.”

He stood and offered his hand. She placed her hand in his, and he led her to the dance floor.

The orchestra played the smooth strains of Frank Loesser’s “What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?” Lee swept her into his arms and whirled her around the floor. Once again, his rich baritone voice sent shivers through her body as he sang the romantic ballad in her ear. After one final spin, he pulled away and looked into her eyes. “So, what are you doing New Year’s Eve?”

“Well, since Mother will be in Atlantic City with Captain Kurt and the boys will be with Joe, I planned on a nice, quiet evening at home. Care to join me?”

“I’d love to.” He leaned in to kiss her. His lips had barely brushed hers when Emily interrupted them.

"Oh, dear, I’m sorry.” She blushed. “I just wanted to say hello and thank you both for coming.”

 “Thank you for inviting us, Lady Farnsworth.”

“Please, Amanda, it’s Emily. Forget the ‘Lady’ and the ‘Farnsworth.’ I see you’ve been keeping our boy out of trouble. Good. Now, please, go back to dancing and forget the interruptions of a nosy lady.”

Lee looked at Amanda, and, knowing what he had in mind, she nodded.

After releasing her, he turned to Emily and said, “Only if you’ll dance with me.” Lee gallantly bowed to their hostess, took her in his arms, and twirled her onto the dance floor.

Amanda stood at the edge of the dance floor, her eyes tracking the graceful movements of her fiancé and his partner. She knew in her heart that Lee thought of Emily as a surrogate mother.

She could see the love and respect he had for Emily. It was written all over his face. Her heart ached for the lost little boy still inside Lee. Tears pooled in her eyes while she watched the pair. Emily said something to him, and a beautiful smile bloomed across his handsome face.

When the song ended, Lee returned his dance partner to her table and strode across the ballroom to Amanda.

“May I?”

She took his outstretched hand and followed him back onto the dance floor. The octet played the haunting strains of “Auld Lang Syne.”

All the guests stood on the dance floor and clasped hands. As one, the entire group sang the lyrics. She and Lee only knew the first verse and the chorus. The English and Scottish guests sang all four verses, and they joined in for the parts they knew.

Then the band segued into God Save The Queen, the traditional last song for British celebrations.

The song finished, and Emily wished all the guests a good night and a Happy Christmas.

Lee retrieved her wrap, and since it had turned colder outside, he tucked her into his overcoat as well. They waited for the chauffeur to bring the limousine around. Once inside, he draped his arm around her shoulder and nestled her close to his side.

She carefully tore the paper off the party-favor gift box. Inside the box was the most beautiful crystal snowflake she had ever seen. The crystals shimmered under the passing street lights, casting prisms of color over their faces. “It’s beautiful.”

“Not as beautiful as you are. Did I tell you how spectacular you look tonight?”

Her fingertips traced the pattern of light on his cheek. As her thumb brushed over his lower lip, his tongue snaked out to lick the pad. She pulled him to her for a heated kiss.

“I had a wonderful time tonight. I hate to see it end.”

“It doesn’t have to end. It’s still early. Do you want to come back to my apartment for a nightcap?”

She smiled. “I’d like that.”

He smiled broadly, his dimples well in evidence. He pushed the intercom button and advised the driver of their new destination. Settling back into the leather seat, he scooped her onto his lap and cradled her to him for the short drive to his apartment building.

Once they arrived, he helped her out of the limousine. Hand in hand, they rode the elevator to the fourth floor. He led her down the short corridor and stopped outside his apartment door.

Gently, he backed her up against the wall. His hands framed her face, and their bodies touched from shoulder to knees. Slowly, he lowered his lips to hers. Her arms snaked around his neck, and she buried her fingers in his hair, sifting the fine, silky strands through her fingers.

She moaned low in her throat and parted her lips. His tongue slid inside to duel with hers. He buried his fingers in her hair and held her still. He groaned, and she could feel his erection pressing against her thigh. She wiggled against him and then broke the kiss. Panting, she said, “Maybe we should go inside.”

He let out a sigh and backed away from her. “I think that would be a good idea.” He unlocked the door and tugged her inside. He didn’t bother to turn on the lights.

End.

Chapter End Notes:

Author’s notes continued: For those of you who are not familiar with Christmas crackers, here’s the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_cracker.

I also included the link to the snowflake Amanda received as a party favor. My sister gave similar ornaments as her wedding favor. http://www.silvergallery.com/sgLN-CS722.html