- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Author’s Note: I have always wondered what sort of knot a Killick Hitch was. Thanks to Scout Troop 7, Coral Gables, Florida, and Frank Fitzpatrick, I have my answer. And just in case any one else was wondering . . . Killick Hitch---A Killick is the name for an anchor for a small boat that could be constructed in a relatively short period of time. Three or four "L" shaped pieces of wood - from the limbs of trees - and a large rock or stone plus rope/twine were used in the construction. The stone was positioned between the woods and securely fastened with the rope or twine. The Killick knot secured the anchor rope to the wooden part of the "Killick.” The weight of the stone was enough to sink it and the outward facing parts of the wood dug into the sea floor.

 

~~~~~~~SMK~~~~~~~

Amanda snuggled deeper under the covers, trying desperately to hang on to the last vestiges of her dream. The chipper voice of the local disc jockey made it impossible to fall back to sleep, but she hit the snooze button anyway and let her mind drift.

Once more, the radio interrupted her. Only this time, she flung the covers aside and reluctantly scooted out of bed.

Even though she had not had a special Valentine for a few years, she was still optimistic enough to celebrate the romance of the day. So, with a nod to Cupid, she put on a sexy red bra and panty set underneath her dress.

Originally, when she’d bought the lingerie, she’d briefly wondered what a certain handsome, hazel-eyed spy would think of her choice. It didn’t really matter what he would think; she and Lee were partners and friends, best friends, and that was all they were--at least for now. In the end, she had purchased the lingerie because it had made her feel sexy, and everyone deserved to feel sexy once in a while.

After putting the finishing touches on her makeup and tugging the corner of her bedspread one final time, she hurried downstairs to fix breakfast. Just like her waffles for Christmas, heart-shaped pancakes on Valentine’s Day had been a tradition since she was a little girl. Her mother always made them for her, and now she made them every year for her family. The batter mixed, the griddle hot, the only thing missing was the boys.

Amanda glanced at the clock. “Fellas, if you want breakfast, you’d better hurry up and come down.”

"Woo hoo! Pancakes," Phillip yelled.

Surely that herd of elephants tramping through her living room could not be her sons. She heard a thud and winced, praying that hollow sound wasn’t someone's head hitting the wall.

Bickering back and forth, her boys elbowed and shoved each other, while gathering their books, projects, and assorted paraphernalia together by the front door, before they entered the kitchen and plopped down at the table.

"I'm the oldest, so I get the first batch, worm brain," Phillip insisted.

"You were first last time. It's my turn. Right, Mom?"

Before she had a chance to scold Phillip for teasing his brother, Mother breezed into the kitchen. "Morning, dears. Happy Valentine's Day." She kissed Amanda's cheek, the top of both boys' heads, and poured herself a cup of coffee, then sat down at the table and placed her napkin in her lap.

"Settle down, boys. Phillip, do not call your brother names. Jamie, you'll be first next time. The first batch is mine. I have an early appointment this morning with Mr. Antonio. He’s not as good as Mr. Emilio is. But since he never reopened after that crazy fight, I have no choice but to go to Mr. Antonio. Kurt is taking me to a new restaurant tonight, Ana Maria's, in Georgetown. He wouldn't tell me his plans for after dinner. He said he wants me to be surprised. Well, he's the one in for a surprise--starting with my dress. And I made a few plans of my own.”

Amanda listened, laughing as her mother went on and on without taking a breath. She used to do the same but broke the habit. There were times at work that called for clear, concise relaying of information, and she learned to get right to the point. But occasionally, when she was nervous or wanted to annoy Lee, she let out a world-class ramble.

"Never fear, your humble chef has the situation well in hand. There's enough here for everyone." After scooping the pancakes off the griddle, she served her mother and both boys, before pouring the batter for her own breakfast. She'd just sat down to eat when the second round of chaos erupted.

The taxi that Mother had called earlier arrived, and its driver leaned on the doorbell until her mother opened the door to leave. The incessant honking of the school bus's horn added to the noise level. In a flurry of movement, the boys donned their coats, geared up for the day ahead, and kissed her goodbye.

"Phillip, have you got your math homework? Jamie, don't forget the cookies for the Science Club meeting today. Be good, fellas. Study hard."

Peace reigned once again in the King household. Amanda returned to the kitchen, only to find her breakfast cold. She tossed the congealed pancakes in the trash and cleaned up the mess from breakfast. "Oh, well, I wasn't really hungry," she said to the empty room. A quick look at the clock told her that she'd have to hurry.  Being late was not an option today. She grabbed a banana and ate it on the way to the car. After all, breakfast was the most important meal of the day.

She wanted to get to work before Lee did and surprise him with some of her homemade butter cookies. Last night, after dinner, she’d whipped up a batch for Jamie's Science Club and just increased the recipe so she would have enough to bring in to the office. They didn't take much time to bake, because she kept them simple. Just a plain butter cookie in heart shapes.

The batch she baked and set aside for Lee took a little more effort. One she didn't mind expending. She'd decorated his with some colored sugar and even used red food coloring to dye some of the dough. Searching the pantry for a bag to carry the cookies in, she discovered a bag of candy hearts. She’d shared a similar bag with Lee last year, while on a stakeout.

At first, he’d made fun of her when she'd read the childish sayings, before sliding the confection into her mouth. Before long, he joined in the silly game, popping one heart after another. And even though he would never admit it, he seemed to enjoy it. It would be fun to leave them for him. They could start their own little holiday tradition. She grabbed the bag and placed them carefully with the cookies, making sure the candy didn't break any of the delectable treats.

Amanda made good time to the Agency and smiled when Mrs. Marston informed her that Lee hadn’t arrived yet. Good, she’d just leave his “Valentines” in his office. She used the spare key he’d given her and let herself in. Hopefully, they’d soon move her desk up here with him. Some days she felt like a yo-yo, running between the Bullpen and the Q Bureau.

After one look at his cluttered desk and crooked stack of reports, she began straightening the files. She needed to move a small stack to make room for her dish of cookies. Lovingly, she set them on his desk, fluffing the bow and curly ribbon. Spying the crystal dish Lee used as a paperweight, Amanda gave it a quick dusting with a tissue and poured the candy hearts into it, before setting the dish next to the plate of cookies. She plucked a yellow heart from the dish and flipped it over to read the saying.

“Kiss Me,” she read. ‘Oh, if only he would.’  She slid the confection into her mouth. “Yum, lemon.” After locking the door behind her, she went down to the Bullpen and her own stack of files.

 

 ~~~~~~~~SMK~~~~~~~

 

Lee pounded his fist on the steering wheel. He’d already been stuck in the early morning traffic for fifteen minutes. Five minutes longer and he’d be late for the staff meeting--again.

The delay didn’t surprise him. Just one more thing to add to today’s list of bizarre events. Topping the chart this morning--no hot water for his shower. At least, with all the erotic dreams he’d been having lately--starring his partner--he’d gotten used to cold showers.

If that wasn't bad enough, while he poured his first cup of coffee, the pot unexpectedly shattered, and the steaming-hot liquid splashed everywhere. Years of training automatically kicked in, and he dropped to the ground, crawling around the kitchen floor for a couple of minutes, before he finally realized no one was shooting at him. He felt a little foolish, but better safe than sorry. On the bright side, he didn't burn anything vital.

After cleaning up the glass and mopping up the spill, he needed a change of clothes. The splashing liquid and his time on the floor had soaked his shirt, tie, and pants with coffee. After tossing the damp cloth into the sink, he headed into his bedroom and searched his closet, pulling out his favorite black Armani suit.

He smoothed the gray silk shirt over his ass before fastening his pants and frowned. Something felt off. A cool breeze drifted over his calves.  He looked at his feet, only to discover his pants were four inches shorter than they should be.

"What the fuck!" The damn dry cleaners had given him someone else's pants. Could this day get any worse?

He tore off the offending garment and unceremoniously tossed it in the corner, before rummaging around his closet again. After selecting a pair of dark gray slacks and a charcoal sport coat, he dressed for the third time that morning. Just as he walked through the living room, the phone rang. T.P. wanted to know if they could meet sometime today.

So here he sat, stuck in traffic, on what had to be the worst morning anyone could ever have. He jabbed the power button for the radio, hoping to hear what caused the gridlock. Every station he flipped on had a sappy love song playing, even the all-sports station. Chalk up another item on the weird meter. He finally tuned in to the all-news station, just in time to hear the announcer wish the listening audience a Happy Valentine's Day. Well, at least that explained the sappy music. He listened to a few commercials, and by the time the traffic report aired, the congestion cleared and he was on his way again.

Someone had parked in his favorite space, adding yet another item to his list, and he had no choice but to pull into the garage. He prayed Billy didn't take this moment to glance at the security monitor. Since he’d missed the staff meeting, Lee wanted his arrival to be as unobtrusive as possible.

He took the stairs, two at a time, and managed to get inside the Q, without running into anyone except Mrs. Marston. Only she knew that he’d arrived late, and his secret was safe with her. He'd just reached back to lock the door when his foot slipped out from under him. Twisting to his right, he managed to grab on to the doorframe to keep from ending up on his ass.

"What the hell?" He looked down and discovered the floor littered with red, pink, lavender, and white envelopes.

When he bent to gather them up, an envelope doused in some sickeningly sweet perfume made his eyes water. Its overpowering aroma actually turned his stomach.  He preferred the light, floral fragrance his partner always wore. A flash of red on his desk caught his attention, and he absently tossed the cards on top of the file cabinet. He reached his desk in two strides and smiled at the cookies placed there, no doubt by his Amanda.

He flipped on the coffeepot. His mouth began to water as the wonderfully rich aroma of his favorite Columbian blend filled the air.

Seated behind his desk, he rubbed his hands together and drew the cookies closer. His hearty laughter filled the office.  The Kellich Hitch. She’d used that knot to secure the ribbon. Even after all this time, Amanda still couldn’t tie the knot properly. He’d have to show her how to do it, once he figured it out for himself.

He fished around in his pocket until he found his Swiss Army knife. The one Barney had given him for his thirteenth birthday. He thumbed open the smallest blade and sliced the ribbon, then tossed it over his shoulder before snagging two cookies. The rich, buttery taste of the melt-in-your-mouth cookies had him groaning in appreciation of Amanda's culinary expertise. Her chocolate chip cookies were his favorite, but these were a close second. Who was he kidding? He loved everything she cooked for him.

Lee ate two more cookies with his coffee and absently reached for another. Instead of cookies, his hand encountered his paperweight, sitting next to the stack of files. He looked up and found it filled with colorful candy hearts.  Instantly, they brought back memories of the silly game Amanda had coerced him into playing during a boring, all-night stakeout one cold February night last year.

He pulled the dish closer and plucked out a light-green heart. Flipping it over, he read the printed saying. “Hug me.”

"Oh, how cute," he said to the empty office and popped the candy into his mouth. The refreshing taste of lime burst along his tongue.

Curious about what other flavors the dish held, Lee pulled out a pale orange one and read the saying. "Tickle me."

‘Hmm, I wonder if Amanda's ticklish.’  He'd just have to figure out a way to find out. A hint of the tropics stemmed from the tangerine confection.          

The next heart he picked was white. Lee knew it would be coconut. He hated coconut. Before tossing it back into the dish, however, he turned it over to read the clichéd saying--and did a double take. He couldn't believe what his eyes were seeing.

The words "Fuck Me," printed in bold red letters, jumped out at him.

It had to be a mistake. He chose a pink heart. “Cum here.”

He tossed it aside and grabbed another. "Eat me."

And another. "Blow me."

His eyes widened in surprise. There had to be some mistake. His shy, reserved partner wouldn't leave him erotic candy.

Or would she?

Lacing his fingers behind his head, Lee kicked back in his chair, propped his feet on the end of his desk, and began to plot his payback. He closed his eyes and let his mind wander. Vivid images of him and his sexy partner, engaging in the lurid acts described on the candy, flashed through his mind, turning him on.

The ringing phone startled him out of his daydream, causing him to lurch forward and bang his bum knee on the desk drawer. "Stetson," he barked, annoyed at the untimely interruption.

He rubbed his knee. "Can it, Francine."

"Okay, tell him I'll be right down."

Deciding to have a little fun at Amanda's expense, Lee grabbed a handful of hearts, wrapped them in his handkerchief, and stuffed them in his pocket.

 

~~~~~~~SMK~~~~~~~

 

It seemed every time Amanda brought homemade cookies to work, word spread to other departments faster than any piece of gossip ever had. Agents from other sections coincidently stopped in to say hello. They crowded around the coffeepot, vying for their share of cookies. What a bunch of hogs they were. Luckily, he had his own secret hoard locked safely in his office.

He wove his way around clusters of chatting agents, skillfully avoiding the flirtatious advances of the women from the steno pool. One brazen woman pinched his ass, and he nearly jumped out of his skin. Some guys found forward women appealing, but not him. Not anymore.

Amanda's head popped up from behind a file she'd been reading, their gaze locked, and she smiled at him. His heart skipped a beat. He smiled back at her and eased a hip onto her desk. "Hi."

"Hi yourself."

With great effort, he tore his eyes from hers and nodded to the crowd behind him. "I see the vultures are out in full force."

"Be nice, Lee."

"Speaking of nice, thanks for my private stash. Delicious, as always."  He watched the blush creep up her neck and stain her cheeks.

"You're very welcome."

"So, are you busy?" He flipped through the stack of files on her desk.

"No, not really. Why?"

"Well, T.P. asked me to meet him over by the fountain in Rock Creek Park, and I thought . . . if you wanted to, you could join me? Maybe we could get a bite to eat afterward?"

The booming voice of Billy Melrose interrupted their intimate scene. “Stetson, my office!”

“The bear growls,” he quipped. “So what do you say? Will you join me?”

“Sure. I’ll be ready when you are.” Amanda flashed a bright smile.

“Now, Stetson!”

Lee hopped off her desk and started toward Billy’s office, buttoning his jacket as he walked. The bulge in his pocket reminded him of his little plan. He turned back to his partner. “Here, these are for you.” He placed his hankie in her hands.

“Thanks.”

“Happy Valentine’s Day, Amanda.”

He hurried to Billy’s office and closed the door behind him. Instead of taking a seat, he peered through the window blinds, watching for Amanda’s reaction to the candy.

It did not take very long before Amanda picked up a heart and read the erotic message.  He watched in amusement as her color rose and reddened her cheeks. She turned and looked at him through the window, a shocked expression on her face.

Lee tossed her a cheeky wink and went back to work.

 

~~~~~~~SMK~~~~~~~

 

Amanda stared at the same paragraph for ten minutes and had no idea what it said. She cringed inwardly; she couldn’t believe the candy she'd brought from home had erotic sayings on them, and she’d left them for Lee.  It had to be the candy she’d brought. Lee barely shopped for food. He’d never shop for candy.

If only she'd taken five minutes to read the bag more carefully, she wouldn't be sitting here, hoping the ground would open up and swallow her whole. Lee knew she would never buy those sayings, let alone leave them for him, and he'd tease her to no end about them--all the while enjoying her discomfort.

Perhaps, if she played her cards right, she could turn the tables on him. After all, she could still flirt pretty well. Besides, she had been fantasizing about Lee for a long time, and maybe this little mishap would nudge their personal relationship in the right direction.

She carefully watched for him to leave Billy's office, trying hard not to be obvious about it. The two men emerged, still deep in conversation. Lee looked over Billy's shoulder, his gaze encompassing the entire Bullpen. Catching his eye, she popped a candy into her mouth and seductively licked her fingers.

Lee's jaw dropped.

Satisfied she'd gotten the desired result, Amanda drew her eyes away from her partner and onto the file in front of her. A satisfied smile graced her lips. The afternoon should be very interesting.

 

~~~~~~~SMK~~~~~~~

 

Lee called and left a message. His briefing ran long, and he had to postpone his meeting with T P. His offer for lunch turned into dinner.

During the drive to Georgetown, he filled her in on the details of the case they'd start in the morning.  Neither of them mentioned the candy hearts, or their erotic messages. Amanda knew she'd have to explain, but the longer she could put it off, the better.

The crowd of people, standing outside the upscale restaurant,  came into view as soon as the 'Vette turned the corner.  "Would you look at that? I've never seen it that crowded before. Must be a party or something."

"It's not a party, Lee. It's Valentine's day."

"Oh, right." He faced her and smiled the smile that made her insides turn to jelly, dimples and all. "Shall we try Spencer's?"

"We could try, but it'll be the same there, too. Unless you make reservations in advance, they won’t have any tables available."

"I did promise to feed you. How does take-out and a movie at my place sound?"

"Sounds wonderful." She sighed, admiring his graceful hands as he made a U-turn and skillfully maneuvered his car through the evening traffic.

Lee helped her out of the car, keeping her hand firmly clasped in his. The crisp night air teased her face, chilling her nose and cheeks.  She shivered once, and he tugged her closer to his side, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. They hurried down the street and ducked into the toasty comfort of his apartment building.

Sitting side by side on his living room floor, cartons of Chinese food littering the coffee table, a bottle of wine between them, they settled comfortably, with their backs pressed against the sofa, and watched Indiana Jones fight the Nazis for the “Arc of the Covenant.”

Hunger satisfied, they scooted onto the couch and finished the movie. Indy yelled at Marion not to look at the Ark. Amanda took his advice and buried her face in Lee’s chest as God’s wrath floated out of the Ark and across the screen, melting everyone in its path. She felt him tug her tighter against his chest and basked in the comfort and protection she always felt when he was close.

As the closing credits rolled across the screen, Amanda reluctantly untangled herself from Lee and gathered the empty cartons. He carried the wine bottle and dirty glasses and placed them in the sink. "Come on, Amanda, it's getting late. I'll take you home."

"Let me just wash the glasses first. You know I can't leave dirty dishes in the sink."

"You don't have to do that."

"I know I don't. But it'll just take a second." She rinsed out the dishcloth and handed it to him. "You can wipe down the coffee table, while I do these." After pouring soap onto the sponge, she washed and dried the two glasses, leaving them on the counter for Lee to put away.

 

~~~~~~~SMK~~~~~~~

 

They drove through the darkened streets, discussing the movie and the latest office gossip.  The time had come to explain about the hearts, and she searched for just the right words. There was hardly any traffic, and before she knew it, Lee pulled up in front of her house. She couldn't put it off any longer. "Lee," she sighed, "I'd like to apologize for this morning."

He turned to face her, the street lights casting shadows across his face. "There's nothing to apologize for."

"Yes, there is. The candy.” She dropped her gaze to her lap and fiddled with her necklace. “You know I never would have purchased something like that. Mother must have bought them. They were just sitting there in the pantry. Phillip or Jamie could have just as easily picked them up.  I'll have to talk to her about that. When I saw them, I thought it would be fun to leave them for you, like last year. So I tossed them in the shopping bag that I had the cookies in. I never thought . . . Oh my gosh, I can't believe I actually left erotic candy on your desk." She felt her face burn and hoped he couldn't tell just how much this embarrassed her.

His warm fingers stroked her chin, gently forcing her to look at him. "It's really all right. You have nothing to apologize for. Besides, I found them fascinating. Just think of all the possibilities." Heat flashed in his eyes, and he wiggled his eyebrows.

Exasperated, she shook her head. "What am I going to do with you?"

He grinned and pulled a few candies out of his pocket.   "Pick a candy and let's find out."

His response delighted her. It seemed her little candy snafu had worked out. At least it sounded like Lee wanted to move past just friends. Now she needed a way to let him know she wanted to move past friendship, too, without giving away the true extent of her feelings.

"Maybe someday.” She chuckled at his stunned expression and kissed him gently on the cheek, before stepping out of the car. "Good night, Lee. Happy Valentine’s Day."

End