- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Author’s Notes: A few weeks ago, I wrote a short filler for this episode where Amanda goes to Lee’s room after they said good night that first night in the Foxrun Motel. My muse, Sparkle Stardust, insisted I write the scene in Lee’s point of view.

Hey, when Sparkle speaks, I listen. So, here it is . . . Lee’s point of view. Enjoy!

A special thanks to Rita and Miss Edna. Their hard work really make my stories flow.

~~~~SMK~~~~

Thump . . . thump . . . thump . . .

His eyes snapped open. Someone was outside his door. Instantly alert, he reached under his pillow and wrapped his fingers around his weapon.

He eased out of bed and padded to the door. After slipping the safety off his firearm, he slid the chain off the door and slowly opened it.

The intruder entered his room. As soon as the shadowy figure crossed the threshold, he slammed the door shut and switched on the light. Once again, he stood with his gun aimed at his partner's chest.

 “Amanda?” He lowered his weapon, then turned and slipped the chain back in place.

"Oh, Lee, I'm sorry I woke you . . . "

She rambled about something, but he wasn't listening. Oh, God, he’d almost shot her--again. With unsteady hands, he flipped the safety back on his gun and placed it on the night table, next to the lamp. After taking a few deep breaths to steady his nerves, he turned to face her and grasped her forearms. “Slow down and tell me what’s wrong.”

“The bathroom faucet is leaking, and it’s too late to call maintenance. I have that breakfast with Marvin at eight o’clock, and I need to get some sleep. Can I stay here?”

Could she stay here? He wasn't sure that was such a good idea. Lately, all he could think about was what it would be like to be with Amanda. To have her naked under him, over him. And that wasn't right; she was his best friend. His Amanda. Not some good-time girl. He didn't want to take a chance and do something to jeopardize their friendship. That was why he’d decided they should go undercover as brother and sister.

He drank her in, from her tangled curls--a testament to the tossing and turning she'd done--to the tips of her cotton-candy pink polished toes. “Are you sure you wouldn’t be more comfortable with Francine?”

“I’m sure."

He couldn't deny her anything. “Then, of course, you can stay with me.” He nodded toward the bed. “Go ahead, climb in.”

He swallowed a groan as she crawled under the covers. Quickly, before he could change his mind, he grabbed a pillow and the spread off the bed and lowered his body to the floor.

The carpet itched his back and smelled like musty old gym socks. He didn't even want to think about what was buried in its fibers. He groaned and rolled over, trying to find a comfortable spot. Impossible. He’d get no more sleep tonight.

“What are you doing down there?”

"Going back to sleep."

“You can’t sleep on the floor.”

He sat up to better see her in the dim light from the bathroom. “Of course I can. It won’t be the first time."

"You need your rest, too. Get up here.” She patted the space next to her. “There’s plenty of room for both of us."

"It’s okay, Amanda, you take the bed. I’ll be all right on the floor.”

"I’m not going to be able to sleep, thinking about you down on the floor. I might as well go back to my room.”

Well, why not? They were two adults, and he didn't see any reason why they both shouldn't be comfortable. There should be no problem with sharing the bed. After all, he wasn't some untried teenager who couldn't control himself. He stood, taking the pillow with him. “Okay, but only if you’re sure.”

“I’m sure.” She held the covers open, and he slid in next to her.

The full-sized bed didn’t afford much distance between them. He stretched his arm across the top of her pillow. She turned into him and snuggled against his side, using his shoulder for her pillow. Her scent surrounded him. He loved the way she smelled--like spring, sweet peas, and warm woman.

His hand dropped to her shoulder. She wiggled closer, and his gut clenched. If she kept that up, he'd be forced back to the floor.

“Good night, Amanda.” He tightened his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

“Night, Lee,” she replied, in a sleep-roughened voice.

Trying to quell his growing desire, he closed his eyes and began to mentally recite the Oriole's starting line-up, including batting averages and on-base percentages. Eventually, his body calmed, and he drifted off to sleep.

End.